PDA

View Full Version : Please Wake Up Turbine

BadDoc
11-26-2007, 08:56 PM
I am gonna start this post by saying this is not flaming, I am not just writing this to be another person complaining on the forums

I was watching tv tonight and saw a commercial promoting WoW, since I have already been there and done that, I knew that WoW was nowhere close to being as good as ddo, so i didnt bite, but if I had been someone that had never played Wow I probably would have hopped on and checked it out. I have never seen anything with the ddo tag marketed anywhere, I DONT GET IT
you have what in my opinion is by far the best mmo out there (including lotro which i thought was a complete failure) but you dont market it, you dont take advantage of the absolutely huge cult following that DND has, Robin Williams or Vin Diesel for instance are well known DND players that would have people flocking to the game like mad if they helped in the marketing. I am not sure whether you are just waiting for the end and doing the minimum so you can maximize your profits or what, but this game has the potential to outlast WoW or any other mmo out there.
I have asked several times in town meetings and such if there was any news about a possible ad campaign and been completely ignored, I guess basically what I am asking is that you market the absolutely awesome game you already have.

Twerpp
11-26-2007, 09:04 PM
WoW has Mr. T. I'm jealous.

BadDoc
11-26-2007, 09:06 PM
So you pity the fool i take it?

Cirlandir
11-26-2007, 09:07 PM
I am gonna start this post by saying this is not flaming, I am not just writing this to be another person complaining on the forums

I was watching tv tonight and saw a commercial promoting WoW, since I have already been there and done that, I knew that WoW was nowhere close to being as good as ddo, so i didnt bite, but if I had been someone that had never played Wow I probably would have hopped on and checked it out. I have never seen anything with the ddo tag marketed anywhere, I DONT GET IT
you have what in my opinion is by far the best mmo out there (including lotro which i thought was a complete failure) but you dont market it, you dont take advantage of the absolutely huge cult following that DND has, Robin Williams or Vin Diesel for instance are well known DND players that would have people flocking to the game like mad if they helped in the marketing. I am not sure whether you are just waiting for the end and doing the minimum so you can maximize your profits or what, but this game has the potential to outlast WoW or any other mmo out there.
I have asked several times in town meetings and such if there was any news about a possible ad campaign and been completely ignored, I guess basically what I am asking is that you market the absolutely awesome game you already have.

Vet: hate to break it to you but Turbine is never going to do any marketing. It isn't their "bag"....Attari and/or WOC would need to do the marketing and they simply don't for DDO. I must admit that WOW commercial is very cool.

Kiranselie
11-26-2007, 09:09 PM
I have been wondering the same thing for a while now. Had it not been for a friend of mine that i play tabletop DnD with every saturday, i never would have known about this game. IMO this should be the biggest game out there, what with the 30+ years of reference material, and a system that is easily understandable, not to mention the rich storylines that are already in the game and the others that could be implemented. I love the game, but in some areas you cant even find a copy on store shelves. I feel we are definately getting gimped in the advertising dept.

Twerpp
11-26-2007, 09:26 PM
Turbine has rights to make MMO's for the 2 greatest fantasy properties of all time. They should be doing much better than contrived cartoony garbage like WoW and there's really no excuse they can make to justify not.

BadDoc
11-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Thats the whole problem. THEY ARE DOING MUCH BETTER THAN THE WOW GARBAGE OR ANYTHING ELSE, they are making the error in marketing, and its a fatal one, but it can be remedied i think, at least at this point

Catiriona
11-26-2007, 10:58 PM
Hate to say it but LotRO is a lot like the WoW garbage. It was extremely disappointing. While as a confessed Tolkien geek I love the world, they stayed very close to the books, the gameplay and quests are sadly very WoW like. I love the gameplay of DDO...the ways you can specialize characters; the "twitch" in the fighting systems; and the detailed and fleshed out quests.

I had hoped that LotRO would be in the DDO style but instead it was very much like WoW. You can click auto attack and take a nap. The quests, if they can be called that, involve lots of killing X number of some or another beast and collecting Y hides or protect some idiotic NPC that rushes into mob after mob half dead. There is little to no strategy or intelligent thought that goes into completing these quests. I will admit that I do like the crafting and exploring that is available in LotRO. It would be nice to have that here, if only to have some alternative things to do with our time while we are waiting for new Mods.

Unfortunately I think that the masses that love WoW may not be able to appreciate the detail and gameplay of DDO. While checking out LotRO with a DDO friend just as we were discussing what a waste it was to use such a simplistic gameplay system on LotRO there was a OOC discussion going on in general chat of people complaining it was too complicated..lol.

I do think you are right about needing to advertise DDO more, perhaps to a more specialized audience. I am sure some people playing games like WoW have to be frustrated by its simplicity and cartooniness. Concentrate on getting those people and hey I'd be happy to leave the rest to the WoWs of the world...:rolleyes:

AEschyl
11-27-2007, 04:10 PM
Turbine has rights to make MMO's for the 2 greatest fantasy properties of all time. They should be doing much better than contrived cartoony garbage like WoW and there's really no excuse they can make to justify not.

well said

Khyron
11-27-2007, 04:21 PM
You do realize that Atari is going belly up? I suspect Marketing DDO was their responsibility which would explain alot. If not for word of mouth and Turbine working the boards there wouldn't be a DDO.

Borrigain
11-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Ooops....:o

Now I see I've duplicated a thread. Just started reading yours and realized I saw the same commercial and started another thread.

Doh!

Borr.

Chrimson
11-28-2007, 06:06 PM
You do realize that Atari is going belly up? I suspect Marketing DDO was their responsibility which would explain alot. If not for word of mouth and Turbine working the boards there wouldn't be a DDO.

I was going to say the same thing but you beat me to it...this is exactly the reason why there is no advertisement. The best thing to happen soon is that Atari will start selling off their publishing rights and hopefully a company like Activision will pick up Turbines title.

Twerpp
11-28-2007, 06:12 PM
I was going to say the same thing but you beat me to it...this is exactly the reason why there is no advertisement. The best thing to happen soon is that Atari will start selling off their publishing rights and hopefully a company like Activision will pick up Turbines title.

Or maybe Colecovision.

Necro_Jill
11-29-2007, 03:31 AM
Or maybe Colecovision.

I'm shooting for McDonalds... imagine DDO and Whoppers.... ok I may have it confused but it works for me. :)

Ithrani
11-29-2007, 08:31 AM
I'm shooting for McDonalds... imagine DDO and Whoppers.... ok I may have it confused but it works for me. :)

Think about how fat MMO players will get. Oh god what would the gencon look like.

garrison68
11-30-2007, 11:03 AM
...that is the truth. Atari is in trouble and going bankrupt and they do the advertising (or lack therof) for DDO, which is a great game, but could be better if marketed properly and developed a bit more, but this all requires funding. :)

Unfortunately, WOW has over 9 million people playing, because they advertise and market their game. Such is life.

Good luck, Turbine. :D

Solmage
11-30-2007, 02:45 PM
DDO is significantly more niche than WoW. It is infinitely superior to those that appreciate the combat system AND the D&D 3.5-ish system, but is a fair bit less appealing to those who do not particularly like either.

My main concern is that you walk to an EBGames here in Toronto and you even find 1 or 2 copies of asheron's call, yet not one of DDO, nor any DDO game cards anymore. I'm not even talking about premium space showcasing the product, they don't even have it in the back storage area.

This imho is something that needs to be addressed as much as the advertising issue.

arcane_nite
11-30-2007, 04:07 PM
Actually have box sets at walmart and best buy. Done and done.

- I know, im a marketing genius. :rolleyes:

Mirloc
12-02-2007, 01:22 PM
Unfortunately, WOW has over 9 million people playing, because they advertise and market their game. Such is life.

Yes, but do you REALLY want those 9 million players in DDO? Stop and think about it a minute, we have issues with plat farmers now can you imagine the feeding frenzy if there were a 9 million strong player base? Blizzard placed a spam filter as a regular part of the game engine to stop tells from level 1 characters. That's the kind of special you get as the biggest of the block.

Besides, I recall very clearly a DDO commercial in the middle of a Battlestar Galactica episode a while back just after the release.

Wire_Paladin
12-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Yes, but do you REALLY want those 9 million players in DDO? Stop and think about it a minute, we have issues with plat farmers now can you imagine the feeding frenzy if there were a 9 million strong player base?

You wouldn't see any difference since if we had 9 million players there would be over 200 servers instead of the paltry 5 we have now.

Plat farmers is not DDO's major problem now. I doubt if we will see mod 6 until after March of next year.

QuantumFX
12-02-2007, 01:44 PM
WoW has Mr. T. I'm jealous.

What's scary is they have Captian Kirk too...

And it looks like Mini-Me was been assimilated as well.

Hendrik
12-27-2007, 09:08 AM
What's scary is they have Captian Kirk too...

And it looks like Mini-Me was been assimilated as well.

And I bet not one of them plays.

Mr. T playing? HA! Bet he can't even turn on a PC.

Got to love paid endorsements.

QuantumFX
12-28-2007, 01:31 AM
And I bet not one of them plays.

Mr. T playing? HA! Bet he can't even turn on a PC.

Got to love paid endorsements.

Actually T wouldn't suprise me. Now Shatner playing WoW...