PDA

View Full Version : Why are WF Immune to Earthgrab

trptim
11-21-2007, 11:19 AM
I was reading the new Velah approach and saw someone suggested to make sure that the aggro getter is a WF, since they are immune to the Earth Elemental grab.

This got me thinking, and I searched the forums to see if anyone else thought this odd, but it was more stated as a benefit of being WF.

I checked the class reference, and it states they are immune to paralysis, but earthgrab doesn't seem to me to be a paralysis affect, it is a big earthen hand grabbing you.

From the DDO monster compendium
And with their attunement to the ground, the earth elemental can reach forth a fist of stone out of the ground beneath their opponent, preventing movement

Big Hand holding me doesn't equate to a paralysis affect in my book.
I would assume while being held, I could still squirm about, trying to escape, so not really paralyzed.

Anyone want to clarify this for me

Thanks

WeaselKing
11-21-2007, 11:21 AM
I think perhaps that it was an unintentional consequence of some of the other WF immunities. I would expect that it could be fixed on any patch but until it is we certainly aren't going to pretend it is working just to correct it.

Yvonne_Blacksword
11-21-2007, 11:39 AM
Because they are Teh Uber...
And played mostly by kids, and there will be no grabbing the kids!
:eek:

Just kidding..

I get that must be a kid thing a lot.
:mad:

tihocan
11-21-2007, 12:08 PM
Can someone actually verify this is true before we start a lengthy discussion like why are WF immune to hold monster? ;)

WeaselKing
11-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Yes, I can attest that WF are immune to earthgrab (and hold, it is a valid and listed immunity). For instance in VoN 6 I will head over to first make the ellies mad and they will sit there with their arms underground but I am able to run around all I want (no FoM). Then I fear them but when they break they just try unsuccessfully to grab me and I fear them again, etc.

Aspenor
11-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Because earthgrab has the same coding as hold person, just a different animation. They're lumped into the immunities. Bugs FTW.

Solmage
11-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Because earthgrab has the same coding as hold person, just a different animation. They're lumped into the immunities. Bugs FTW.

Pretty much.

As for what to send to grab aggro, anything with the freedom of movement spell cast on, which isn't exactly hard to get, works just as well.

trptim
11-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Thanks for all the responses.
I decided that Earthgrab seems to be similar to Bigby's Crushing Hand (immobilize target, and crushing damage), so I looked this up.
I could not find the official definition of this spell (I don't think Wizards publishes the spell details on the web)
I was able to find the NWN definition on NWN.wikia.com site.

From that, it can be removed (dispelled) by casting Freedom of Movement or Remove Paralysis (not by the person caught, but by someone else)
However, it continues by stating that if a target is already immune to paralysis, such as from Freedom of Movement, the target can still be grabbed and held, but they can perform actions, as opposed to being completely immobilized.

So if the DDO team modeled it after this, but just made it a paralysis state, then it makes sense that WF are immune, and why FoM also works.

If they are really modeling it after Bigby's, then to "fix" it, they would have to make it a two save spell, with the grapple save, and then the paralysis save (similar to PK)

Solmage
11-21-2007, 11:06 PM
Actually, I can't think of any reason for the paralysis. If anything, it should be changed so you're rooted, ie unable to move, but otherwise able to shoot your bow or swing your sword, quite possibly at a high penalty, or heck cast a spell. I mean you can cast a spell when fully grappled...

* (could restrict it to non-somatic components spells ofc)