PDA

View Full Version : Mod 6

Ringers
11-14-2007, 05:33 PM
Is there approx release date for mod 6?

Mad_Bombardier
11-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Yes. Mod 6 release is sometime between now and later. :)

axebender
11-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Yes. Mod 6 release is sometime between now and later. :)

i heard it was later..but i may be wrong

MysticTheurge
11-14-2007, 05:44 PM
i heard it was later..but i may be wrong

Well they're aiming for "soon" so that probably means we'll really get it later.

(And cause I can't just not answer the questions: Late December or January is the latest target date.)

Jaywade
11-14-2007, 05:49 PM
I was hoping they were going to surprised us and be early at this point I'd be happy if we have a playable mod 6 by Jan 1

Alavatar
11-14-2007, 06:27 PM
The good news is that late December/early January is only 6 more weeks away!

I have so much work to do and so much upcoming free time from the holidays! :D

Draclaud
11-15-2007, 10:11 AM
That should give you an idea, as the last mod was on Risia about 8 weeks give or take before it went live...

ArkoHighStar
11-15-2007, 10:14 AM
That should give you an idea, as the last mod was on Risia about 8 weeks give or take before it went live...

yes but they indicated that this was unusual because they wanted us to test the engine changes

Beherit_Baphomar
11-15-2007, 10:15 AM

Dundundun!!

*tinfoil hat on*

Can someone please reply "Soon" with the TM on it? I like that...

Mad_Bombardier
11-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Soon™

Aspenor
11-15-2007, 10:17 AM
PPSSSSSTTT....insider info here....

Sometime between mods 5 and 7.

Cowdenicus
11-15-2007, 10:34 AM
I was talking with my inside source at Turbine and I have a prospective date, but I dont think I am allowed to steal the Devs thunder.......

That being said, [squashed by The Man]

MysticTheurge
11-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Soon™

Hey! I already said 'soon.' I just didn't include the TM. :(

Mad_Bombardier
11-15-2007, 10:44 AM
Hey! I already said 'soon.' I just didn't include the TM. :(Well then, it wasn't official. Was it? :p

Aspenor
11-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Hey! I already said 'soon.' I just didn't include the TM. :(

It's obvious you stole it from MB, you better edit before he calls the Feds.

Kommunity_Kobold
11-15-2007, 10:55 AM
Yark! Me have a vision... of 4 numbers changing just before the 5th turned to 6th! Yark! Be me not know what it mean.

MysticTheurge
11-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Yark! Me have a vision... of 4 numbers changing just before the 5th turned to 6th! Yark! Be me not know what it mean.

January it is then!

Cowdenicus
11-15-2007, 11:11 AM

Well since the Kobold is out of the bag now.

Mad_Bombardier
11-15-2007, 11:23 AM
The Kobold said "4 numbers changing just before the 5th turned to 6th." My first thought was that 4 numbers meant for date/month and 5th to 6th was Mod. Meaning sometime around 10 December (going from 3 numbers on 12/9 to 4 numbers on 12/10).

But, then I got to thinking. Mod5 came out Thurday, 27 Sept. And the new development schedule described by Nereid was shooting for a new mod every 10 weeks. Thursday, 6 Dec is exactly 10 weeks. And 5th to 6th matches 6 Dec. But, it's all around the same general time of early to mid December. :)

P.S.
Well since the Kobold is out of the bag now.Quick! Put him back in there. Kobolds are not for public viewing.

MysticTheurge
11-15-2007, 11:59 AM
The Kobold said "4 numbers changing just before the 5th turned to 6th." My first thought was that 4 numbers meant for date/month and 5th to 6th was Mod. Meaning sometime around 10 December (going from 3 numbers on 12/9 to 4 numbers on 12/10).

But, then I got to thinking. Mod5 came out Thurday, 27 Sept. And the new development schedule described by Nereid was shooting for a new mod every 10 weeks. Thursday, 6 Dec is exactly 10 weeks. And 5th to 6th matches 6 Dec. But, it's all around the same general time of early to mid December. :)

Years are 4 numbers long (2007), so I simply assumed we were looking at "early 2008" again.

That being said, there's only really 1 number that changed from 2007 to 2008.

Mad_Bombardier
11-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Years are 4 numbers long (2007), so I simply assumed we were looking at "early 2008" again.

That being said, there's only really 1 number that changed from 2007 to 2008.Good point. Here I was with unbridled optimism thinking month/day, I was completely blind to the year changing. It does seem to imply January. So much for 10 week cycles. :(

Beherit_Baphomar
11-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Soon™

You made my day, thank you.

Pellegro
11-15-2007, 12:09 PM

hmmm...

12/31/07
01/01/08

That's 4 numbers changing .... the first digit, the second, the third, and the sixth. The fourth ("1") and fifth ("0") stay constant.

And 5th changing to 6th is probably a reference to the active mod ...

So maybe its a new year's thing? 1/1/08 this year is on a Tuesday. Tuesday's are great release days ...

Lorien_the_First_One
11-15-2007, 12:11 PM
hmmm...

12/31/07
01/01/08

That's 4 numbers changing .... the first digit, the second, the third, and the sixth. The fourth ("1") and fifth ("0") stay constant.

And 5th changing to 6th is probably a reference to the active mod ...

So maybe its a new year's thing? 1/1/08 this year is on a Tuesday. Tuesday's are great release days ...

Of course KK didn't say it whould happen WHEN 4 changed, he said 4 numbers would change BEFORE it would happen. So that would mean any time after Jan 1. You know like Jan 2/08 or Dec 31/08.

Beherit_Baphomar
11-15-2007, 12:16 PM
Or he could be talkin' nonsense.

He is a kobold, after all.

Pellegro
11-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Of course KK didn't say it whould happen WHEN 4 changed, he said 4 numbers would change BEFORE it would happen. So that would mean any time after Jan 1. You know like Jan 2/08 or Dec 31/08.

well, in fairness he said "just before" .... but yes, it could be anytime in January I'd suspect.

lethal413
11-15-2007, 12:26 PM
so were going from 4 weeks to 10 weeks, now were waiting waiting for a mod to 14 ish? hah

next must be 20 ish ?

exactly how much do we pay a month compared to other online games?

MysticTheurge
11-15-2007, 12:57 PM
exactly how much do we pay a month compared to other online games?

Definitely make sure to check how often they get free updates too. ;)

For example:

City of Heroes
Issue #7: Destiny Manifest (June 6, 2006)
Issue #8: To Protect And Serve (November 28, 2006)
Issue #9: Breakthrough (May 1, 2007)
Issue #10: Invasion (July 24, 2007)
Issue #11: A Stitch in Time (Pending)

Strakeln
11-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Boooooooo.

I have a week and a half off, centered around Xmas and New Years. I want my fresh new shiny mod to play.

Aspenor
11-15-2007, 01:24 PM

I do, come on KK, ya gotta come up with a better riddle than that ;) :p

MysticTheurge
11-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Boooooooo.

I have a week and a half off, centered around Xmas and New Years. I want my fresh new shiny mod to play.

Presumably, part of the problem with that plan is that the Devs do too.

ghale
11-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Definitely make sure to check how often they get free updates too. ;)

For example:

City of Heroes
Issue #7: Destiny Manifest (June 6, 2006)
Issue #8: To Protect And Serve (November 28, 2006)
Issue #9: Breakthrough (May 1, 2007)
Issue #10: Invasion (July 24, 2007)
Issue #11: A Stitch in Time (Pending)

Most other mmo's also get paid expansions to add content where we do not :).

MysticTheurge
11-15-2007, 01:38 PM
Most other mmo's also get paid expansions to add content where we do not :).

Yet.

I'd love for them to have released a DDO expansion by now, but honestly would you rather have paid expansions or free updates? We've had a lot more free updates that pretty much any other game out there. I don't see why people act like they'd rather have been charged for all that.

I think they should strongly consider a paid expansion at some point in the future, but ideally not at the expense of the free udpates.

And heck, who knows, this whole slower release schedule might be so they can be working on a paid expansion at the same time. (I know they've said there are no plans for one, but honestly, they wouldn't tell us even if there was. Unless they were ready to announce it.)

Edit -- And seriously, as a side note. CoH has had one paid "expansion" that didn't really do much to expand the game for existing characters so much as add another game that runs in parallel. I chose CoH because they do have the release structure that seems to be closest to DDO's in terms of style. Mostly they do periodic free updates. They've done one update that added some additional character costume options, PvP, bases and a graphics/physics engine upgrade. We get new "costume" options with almost every mod. We got PvP, which is still getting some improvements here and there. Housing is in the works. We started with a better physics engine than CoH has even now, and we just got a graphics engine upgrade.

Cowdenicus
11-15-2007, 05:49 PM
I do, come on KK, ya gotta come up with a better riddle than that ;) :p

He is a Kobold, what do you expect.....

Lorien_the_First_One
11-15-2007, 05:56 PM
well, in fairness he said "just before" .... but yes, it could be anytime in January I'd suspect.

Q said they were working on the state of the game was being written as he typed and we would see it soon. In that case soon turned out to be 5ish months so who knows what "just before" means :p

MysticTheurge
11-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Q said they were working on the state of the game was being written as he typed and we would see it soon. In that case soon turned out to be 5ish months so who knows what "just before" means :p

He also said, and I quote:

If you can promise me, that you wont take this post as a promise to deliver by a certain date, or a solid, plan in stone,

I'll let you in on a few secrets. /lookbothways

If I were him, I wouldn't make that mistake again. :rolleyes:

Lorien_the_First_One
11-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Yet.

I'd love for them to have released a DDO expansion by now, but honestly would you rather have paid expansions or free updates? We've had a lot more free updates that pretty much any other game out there. I don't see why people act like they'd rather have been charged for all that.

I think they should strongly consider a paid expansion at some point in the future, but ideally not at the expense of the free udpates..

Well that's a whole debate thread of its own but....

I love the free updates. I can understand paying for a game, and then buying new versions. I can understand paying for a game, and paying a maint fee that includes updates. Only in the MMO world have they convinced people that its a good thing to pay out of every hole you have.

And while I joke about the release time, although there were some interesting bugs, I think I saw more messed up content in the early mod 4 days than I've seen in mod 5. If we could further improve that quality for Mod 6 its worth a little extra time :D

You know what, if the player base is too small and they aren't making enough cash, I'd even be ok if they bumped the monthly fee a dollar or two to keep the support and free updates coming.

Given that this is supposed to be "real D&D" based on 3.5 (don't bother to say its not as long as that's what they continue to advertise, that's the goal for now....) I think they need to continue providing free updates until we get to L20. At that point the game is complete. I can start with my baby char in a core class and play most (even if not all) of the core classes through L20. Contract complete.

If at that point they want to sell me a 2.0 upgrade pack that lets me add even more classes, epic levels, prestige classes, or a second city with alternate content to level in, I'd probably show up with my credit card.

But if they ask me to buy a pack to get to L18...well....I think I'd have to walk.

Lorien_the_First_One
11-15-2007, 06:09 PM
He also said, and I quote:

If I were him, I wouldn't make that mistake again. :rolleyes:

lol, ya. You know know I wouldn't hold him at all responsible if things got delayed a bit, but cancelling communication isn't acceptable in my mind. There was no reason NOT to do the state of the game and lots of reason to do it.

And for those who said the podcast interview was the same, it simply is not. We don't all want to sit down and listen to a podcast, I'll take the press release please.