PDA

View Full Version : Midi music for the win

Spookydodger
11-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Maybe it would be cheesy, and I know it's been suggested. I'm that occasionally squeaky wheel.

Midi music, taken from the local folder of the player, for bard music? C'mon... I soooo want to do some rock rifts for inspire greatness :D. A small file would be quick to transmit, and the customization would be awwwwwesome.

I guess, in the mean time, I'll have to settle for holding down my mic key and playing some music from an MP3 player :D

Gornin
11-14-2007, 06:12 PM
I would love this. I would just have to learn how if they did it.

MrCow
11-14-2007, 06:21 PM
Midi music, taken from the local folder of the player, for bard music? C'mon... I soooo want to do some rock rifts for inspire greatness . A small file would be quick to transmit, and the customization would be awwwwwesome.

If you hear a bard play music and you have a MIDI file on your machine for that bardic song then you should hear what you have for a MIDI file. Transmitting MIDI files has a host of problems (including spreading viruses for one, lagging the DDO server as two, slowing down 56k modem folks that exist as three, and griefing people with possibly horrid music as a fourth).

I do like the idea... but the implementation could cause problems. That and I have a selfish desire to not be subjugated to a bard playing "Barney Sing-a-long" songs. :p

Mad_Bombardier
11-15-2007, 08:56 AM
Yes, I would very much like to torment my party by repeatedly playing "It's a small world" for my bardsongs with a Halfer Bard. :D

Ustice
11-15-2007, 09:32 AM
The problems with slow connections could be ovecome/bypassed by having it as a low priority upload/download as soon as someone joins your party. In that case, you could use a 15-second MP3. Of course if you are worried about the bandwidth, you can disable the feature (same if you are worried about explicit lyrics or the like).

GlassCannon
11-15-2007, 09:34 AM
I set my soundcard's Recording Output to "What u hear" and hit Push to Talk.

Solves my problem.

Oh, and the bardsong being a different melody of our choosing(uploaded, not a Turbine database pick)? My idea.

Problem with it is this: Copyright junk gets in the works, the RIAA and MPAA get on their high horses and nazi up the place with illegitimate legal nonsense, and the end users end up putting in a mishmash garglamesh of musics on their bards.

I recommend tossing my idea down the tubes for now.

Dariun
11-15-2007, 09:46 AM
Problem with it is this:

Yeah, nice idea but there are a lot of troubles with it.

It would be cool if Turbine would set up a 5 or 6 melodies for each bard song and either cycle through them or let bards pick which ones they like.

What would be cooler yet is if they had a 90 second or so melody for each bard song and each playing played a piece of it (in order) so that bards with many songs could sit in the bar and play out the whole melody.

If said melody were suitable for a Round so a group of bards could put together a little performance it would be even more coolerer.

Oh, and I'd like to upgrade my lute to a stratocaster. That would be most coolest. :cool:

Lorien_the_First_One
11-15-2007, 10:49 AM
As others have said, picking up music files could be a problem for a number of reasons including lag, viruses, copywrite violation and improper language choices.

But what wouldn't be hard or very lag inducing would be to give you a music sheet and let you score your own music on an appropriate length with a selected group of musical instruments. Then all that gets transmitted out is an instrment datastream (ie-musictypeA,half-A,-full-C,quarter-C#,quarter-C#,fullA). You could even remove the small lag for those who this would be a problem for with a system option that would let them pick canned or custom sound.