PDA

View Full Version : On Timesinks ...

Pellegro
11-14-2007, 04:44 PM
We all hear the phrase bandied about, and the devs have been dutifully trying to implement some more traditional MMO "time sinks" to keep us occupied.

Personally, I find them to be total turn offs. I hate them in other MMOs, and I find them tedious at best in this game. This includes crafting.

However, there are some "time sinks" that I can think of that would actually be interesting to me.

So here is my list of "non traditional" time sinks that I'd really enjoy and would much prefer to the more traditional MMO timesinks:

1. Inventory Management Tools - the ability to export a toons inventory, evaluate it, decide which toon needs what, make proper transfers, etc. I'd spend hours pouring over all the loot I've amassed and figuring out the precise load-out for any particular character. And if you don't like it - don't use it!

2. More Complete Quest Completion Data - instead of the "quest completion" report we get now (xp, kills, traps found/fixed, etc.), I'd like to have the option to get far more detailed information. Total damage dealt, average damage per swing, average damage per second, number of mobs held, number of mobs PK'd, amount of damage I took, amount of HPs healed on me, amount of others HPs I healed, total number of swings, total number of hits, average hits/swing, total damage "soaked" (reduced), etc. etc. You get the idea - pretty much the more details, the better. I would *love* this kind of tool as I am a big nerd and would do test runs with different equipment to compare my efficacy. I suspect that a large portion fo the player base is the numbers crunching type who would also enjoy this type of detail. It would also permit more detailed discussions and comparisons, etc., for those who care. And if you don't like it - don't use it!

3. Exportable Backstory - Simply put, I don't read all the great backstory in game, because usually others are waiting to start the quest. I would enjoy having the ability to export the backstory to review it at my leisure. Perhaps just a "screen capture" of the dialog of the quest, so that after its over, and I break group, I can leisurely read through it (although I'd prefer it to be exportable so I can read it out of game). I'd spend the time reading this stuff ...

Those are the ones that came to mind. Each is a "time sink" in that its something I'd spend substantial time on, other than questing, but each is (kind of) nontraditional in that they're out-of-game activities (but that still add value to my subscription and hence help keep me around).

Does anyone else have any interesting "time sink" suggestions?

HumanJHawkins
11-14-2007, 06:35 PM
/signed

And as for the other time sinks that you mention disliking, is /sign your /unsigning of them. :-)

Perceval418
11-14-2007, 06:38 PM
I like the exportable back story idea. This could be "i think" relatively easy to implement. Essentially your charecter would be granted a book of lore that would have every quest in it. As you did quests and completed them, the book would update itself from level one. Thus, you could read all the lore from level one on at your leisure (such as when its late and no groups are on, or your waiting for a group to get together). It would also be an incentive to actually do every quest in the game, because perhaps the charecter who gives you the book wants it filled with all the lore of eberron, and once youve done everything there is to do you bring it to him and he gives you some kind of special item or ability.

moorewr
11-14-2007, 06:43 PM
I really, really wish that each quest you entered made a log entry somewhere - quest & difficulty, did you finish, who was in the group, how many minutes..

Just that bit of info would really help when trying to remember who you've run with.. I find myself after dashing off the server at the end of a good run thinking now who where they?? I should have friended them while I had their names up.