PDA

View Full Version : Mind your manners online...

Sibyl
11-12-2007, 10:05 PM
Due to the number of complaints about a) the lack of civil discourse on the DDO forums and b) the lack of dev replies, this little gem of an article just jumped out at me today. It almost seemed to be about our particular forum situation.

From http://www.salon.com/opinion/kamiya/2007/11/13/manners/index.html (italics mine).

The result of people not regarding their postings as two-way communications is a trail of rhetorical wreckage that litters the Web like burned-out vehicles after a strafing raid. Grunts, shouts and gestures replace arguments. Online conversations bog down or trail off down inconsequential byways. The chess game is no longer played at a high level. Worse, the coarser rhetorical and emotional tone that is set becomes self-perpetuating. The salon slowly turns into a gladiatorial arena. It isn't a Darwinian process, either, because in this arena, the strongest and smartest aren't the ones who usually survive. The loudest, rudest and most obnoxious are the winners. The quiet, the shy, the reflective are driven away. Even those who have thick skins, and are not themselves involved in a discussion, will often simply give up trying to mine a thread for interesting ideas. It isn't worth the psychological agita.

A good example of a publication whose discussions are so ferocious that you have to enter them with a suit of armor is the Web site of the Israeli newspaper Haaretz. Haaretz is a superb newspaper, and there are always intelligent and thoughtful postings somewhere in the discussion threads after its stories. But the threads tend to be so nasty that I've mostly given up reading them. Even if you're just a bystander, you feel battered and spattered.

That's just a representative excerpt. Read the whole thing. I found it interesting and eloquent and wanted to share it.

I don't want this thread to degrade into targeted attacks on those we feel are loud, rude, and obnoxious on the DDO forums. This isn't about stereotyping people, or psychoanalyzing them, or describing all the kinds of behavior we hate. I'm mostly looking for ideas about how all the nice people who hide out here can reclaim control of the discussions in other forums and turn them back into productive debates. I think we'd all benefit if we could just figure out how.

How can we remind those who would be rude to us (and the devs) that they are interacting with real people and not abstract words on a webpage? The above author suggested that signing his name on an e-mail would often humanize him in the eyes of the other person. What other tokens of humanity can we use when we've only got letters and emoticons to exploit?

Yvonne_Blacksword
11-13-2007, 08:14 PM
:(
I'm sorry!

I try to be amusing...
When the threads are going down the IHY path...

I try to write something light and funny...
But I am an IdIoT!
:mad::o:eek::rolleyes::D
Sorry...I was mean and called someone a n00b...
Wait...I called myself a n00b!

Sibyl
11-13-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm sorry!

I try to be amusing...
When the threads are going down the IHY path...

I try to write something light and funny...
But I am an IdIoT!
:mad::o:eek::rolleyes::D
Sorry...I was mean and called someone a n00b...
Wait...I called myself a n00b!

I like the rainbow of emoticons... maybe that would work. :D

Ghoste
11-14-2007, 12:16 AM
Thank you Sibyl. Appreciate that article.

Oreg
11-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Very interesting read and you are dead on. Although not specific to DDO obviously, I am glad that it has yet to become the norm for face to face interaction in our world today and is relegated to the obscurity of the boards like these.

Cowdenicus
11-16-2007, 01:04 PM
This whole thread is stupid...... :eek:

(Come on somebody had to do it.) :o

I actually agree with the sentiment. :D

Strakeln
11-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Very interesting read and you are dead on. Although not specific to DDO obviously, I am glad that it has yet to become the norm for face to face interaction in our world today and is relegated to the obscurity of the boards like these.I doubt it will ever become the norm for face to face interaction. People are *always* more respectful when there is a very real possibility of getting their asses whupped.

Cowdenicus
11-16-2007, 01:34 PM
I doubt it will ever become the norm for face to face interaction. People are *always* more respectful when there is a very real possibility of getting their asses whupped.

AMEN