PDA

View Full Version : so i DLed LOTRO..

jaitee
11-07-2007, 03:18 PM
to try something new

and i wasnt impressed, it was like i was controlling a stick on wonder world

movement is sad, turbine really made LOTRO? and DDO? was what went though my head

i got bored fast, fell alseep :)

anyone else tried it?

dont want this to be a flame, but LOTRO was made by turbine too right?

LOUDRampart
11-07-2007, 03:34 PM
What I like about DDO: Character development, combat system, dungeon instances, art and graphics.

What I like about LotRO: Environment, crafting, atmosphere, housing (and my list could go on).

My opinion: combine the best of DDO as stated above with LotRO and call it DDO2 and have a killer game.

LA_MIKE
11-07-2007, 03:42 PM

Ron
11-07-2007, 03:49 PM
I like LOTRO just enough to keep a sub for it. It's never going to be my primary game or anything, but it's fun enough for something different when I want to take a couple of days off from dungeon delving :)

ErgonomicCat
11-07-2007, 04:33 PM
LotRO is not bad for an open world traditional MMO. I prefer it over WoW.

That being said, it's no DDO.

Sadly, my wife prefers traditional MMOs to DDO, so I'm finding myself spending more and more time in LotRO. :(

Pellegro
11-07-2007, 04:50 PM
I played it for 2 months during a hiatus from here.

It bored me to death.

Only upside - my 5 year old was effective in that game, so we could play it together. DDO is a little too difficult for him, however ....

GoldyGopher
11-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Chuckle as I only have a couple hundred GB in high speed local hard disk space I spent the morning removing the things, okay all the MMOs I have tried over the past year, LotRO was one of several I removed.

The world was beautiful, expansive, the back story immense, the game itself was boring and far more of a grind than I was willing to play.

Gum
11-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Tried it for a couple of days.

Like DDO way better. The only thing I could find better than DDO were the NPC's were more animated and I thought that was really cool. BUT with that said I would much more prefer Lotro over WoW anytime. What in the world do people see in WoW? I just don't get it. I played WoW a couple of hours and was like..Ummm..No. lol

LOUDRampart
11-07-2007, 09:53 PM
LotRO = more traditional MMO. Most players who first played games like EQ, WoW or any of the other EQ clones will generally like it.

DDO is more akin to a first person shooter but does not give the same quick gratification as the FPS.

In my micro world, most of my friends that play traditional MMO's don't like FPS games and likewise for the FPS gamers. Hence DDO caters to a small select crowd. Something I had hoped would have been larger. :(

MrCow
11-07-2007, 10:14 PM
I did the trial for LotRO back when they were doing the beta launch. Like most people in this thread it held my interest for a short amount of time (2 days). After playing DDO for a year I find it really hard to go back to any traditional MMORPG because the sheer degree of freedom in movement, control, and action is so much greater.

Coming from Everquest as my online game addition starter I can recall several times where I started to mathematically go "This fight will last about 34 seconds, it will get me 0.7% of my level, after the fight it will take me about 72 seconds to get back all the HP and mana I used, the next MOB from here is about 8 seconds away, I will have my next level in 4 hours and 14 minutes, maybe a bit more if something goes wrong inbetween". Everything was so absolutely predictable and static. I can't even understand why I was so madly engrossed in a game like that when I look back on it.

Despite the bugs and issues that roam DDO, the fluidity, versatility, and unpredictability is what helps make it now the only online game I play. You can go slow and it makes sense. You can go fast and it makes sense. You can roleplay (with voice chat for best effect in a fast paced game) and it makes sense. You can skip fights or kill everything and it makes sense. You can dance in the bird bath in the Marketplace... and... I think that makes sense. :D

It will be one heck of a game to fully pry me away from DDO.

Beldoran
11-09-2007, 03:29 AM
ok i agree Lotr was horrible and as for WoW everyone is trash talking about it as in above yes its cartoony and easy to play but in the end it has depth the look is unique and i like the lvling system and they are quest based the only downside i have had in it is 1. Players seem to be 8 years old sometimes rather childish 2. No guild hall player housing (which if i'm reading correct neither does DDO} 3. Stats are auto allocated ok up sides Along with childish players there are some very nice people always willing to help 2.Gah'nomes need i say more ADD GNOMES FOOLS 3. Lots of places and things to do 4. Craft system is great 5. DRUIDS!!!!! 6. more people to interact with well thats my points don't rag on wow just because new players and younger players can play it the game still has its strong points and maybe if you spend more than 1 hour on it testing it you might actually get to lvl 10 and get to see where talents come in and maybe 17-18 where instances and pvp come in and 70 when you have 30 ppl killing a uber elite mob called thats raiding then you would know what the game is about 1hour 1day 1week isn't enough time imo to judge a game i give one month of devoted time before i judge (seeing as i pay one month at a time)

Ringlord
11-09-2007, 03:46 AM
I have a level 63 Night Elf Hunter in WoW. I had to stop playing because I am a bit strapped cash wise and can only afford 1 MMO atm. I like several things about WoW I don't get in DDO, but nothing game breaking that is missing on the DDO side. The one thing critics of WoW have right and fans of that style of game have wrong is that WoW and the other EQ clones are more of a grind for raid loot once you reach the level cap than DDO will ever be. You have raid parties at the least twice the size of DDO and 5+ times the size of DDO in EQ with less loot over all dropping for the raid and more competition for each individual piece of raid loot among the party members. That means that no matter how bad your luck might be for raid loot pulls in DDO you will still run the raids in WoW or EQ many many many more times than you do them in DDO to get the better gear.

oh one other bad point of WoW is the normal party instances are 5 man instead of 6 and I always found that left people out in guilds that did not have membership numbers divisible by 5 and short manning instances was not advisable if you were not 10 or so levels above them.

Shaamis
11-09-2007, 05:47 AM
Turbine doesn't care if you like ddo or lotro more, as long as you play one of them, you validate their "hard" work.

Those of you that bought a lifetime, or a combined subscription, god bless you, you make Turbines world go 'round.

I pay a monthly subscription to DDO, and unless things change, I'll be dropping it on March of '08. Maybe April, so I can give my stuff away to guildmates that are willing to stick around.

I want to play interesting charatcers like assasins, and Dark Templars, not another human ftr build-of-the-week, before the nerf bat hits.

Sorry, I'm very cynical at this point.

cucukacho
11-09-2007, 06:47 AM
I played LOTRO for about a month, the world was beautiful, but the game was absolutely BORING. It doens't have that certain spark that keeps me at DDO. I came back to DDO and it coincided with the server merge, I won't leave again, I will be the last one to turn off the server.

DoctorWhofan
11-09-2007, 08:58 AM
LotRO = more traditional MMO. Most players who first played games like EQ, WoW or any of the other EQ clones will generally like it.

DDO is more akin to a first person shooter but does not give the same quick gratification as the FPS.

In my micro world, most of my friends that play traditional MMO's don't like FPS games and likewise for the FPS gamers. Hence DDO caters to a small select crowd. Something I had hoped would have been larger. :(

I hate FPS. SUck at them! Love DDO! I loved Fable too, andthat is the game I compare this one with (except for ethics part of the game)

My hubby played LotRO. Liked crafting, pretty backgrounds, liked the costume changes. Hated the FedEX questing, HATED the fighting mechanic, HATED the LFM part of the game. Lasted 2 weeks.

Jundak
11-09-2007, 09:15 AM
Just returned from LotRO about a week ago. I lasted two months only because I'm stubborn. I became bored with the combat system and the people in about a week, in all honesty. Yeah, the graphics are shiny and I like the crafting in LotRO but damn...as much as I love Tolkein, I could not find a reason to stick with the game to save my soul.

My bottom line: There is nothing out there that even remotely approaches the gaming experience that DDO has to offer. I'm here for the long haul. DDO has my money for the life of the game.

Dane_McArdy
11-09-2007, 09:20 AM
I can't bring myself to play LoTRO simply because the books hold a very special place in my childhood, and I've never had a desire to play in the world.

The first job I ever had was a paper route, and the first thing I bought was the boxed set of the Trilogy. I took them every where as I read them. I would be sitting in the bleachers of my brothers baseball games reading them.

I've just never had a desire to want to play as if I was in that world. And as I grew up, I looked at the books as not a practical application of a game, unless you had to flesh it out with much more. And I didn't want to see what other people would consider a good thing in Tolkiens world.

I've always felt that the person who creates something knows best.

So I've just never wanted to change how I view those books and what they mean to me.

I'm sure LoTRO is a great game for what it offers.

lostinjapan
11-09-2007, 09:22 AM
No comparison. DDO is the superior product by far.

Didn't care much for WoW (bought it and played for a month), didn't care much for LoTRo for similar reasons.

Winded
11-09-2007, 09:25 AM
I had to check it out. I think the thing that most motivated me to see LoTro was teh latest awards. I basically had to see it for myself.

I always say I have no particular loyalty to any game, I jump to the game that offers the best technology, be it FPS or other.

LOtro - I just couldnt do it. Boring to me. Slow and requires very little skill. The combat style was laughable and very very boring.
'stand toe to toe and watch basically, maybe spam some buttons for special attacks. That is not combat.

I lasted 2 hours the first log and for some reason tried again just to verify. Ill leave Lotro for the PSuedo Gamers.

As for real video games, I tried and cant , even with all the new game releases, find anything better than DDO. Sure there are games I enjoy playing, but nothing even comes close to DDO.
\
It truly made me appreciate DDO.

The latest game that was poised to compete with DDO concepts was Tabula Rasa. They claimed a real time interactive combact system. Not even close.

Why doesnt Turbine/Atari Stand up and own the claim to being first and best at MMO/Real time combat. Theres nothing even close out there.

Jundak
11-09-2007, 09:26 AM
I can't bring myself to play LoTRO simply because the books hold a very special place in my childhood, and I've never had a desire to play in the world.

/snip

I'm sure LoTRO is a great game for what it offers.

Yeah, I can understand that reasoning. In all honesty, I think you might like what Turbine produced for the world, story arc, etc...but the game play itself just left a sour taste in my mouth. There is just no comparison, imho, to DDO.

miceelf88
11-09-2007, 10:07 AM
I pretty much agree with other people- the visuals and the complexity of the world in LOTRO were great. The actual gameplay and almost complete lack of customization for characters, not so much. The traditional MMO setup is what it is, but even within that, one could have had more options in terms of character creation/development. DDO is definitely far better in this regard, IMHO.

The other thing taht I bumped into as a player on a very crappy computer is that on ddo I can have decent visuals and still play. On LOTRO, I think it took more memory to run, because I had to play at the lowest setting of visuals, and that meant that my three tool bars literally took up half the screen.

Djeserit
11-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Probably a lot of us will move over to it in the coming months. I will miss Elves and Halflings, but I have always loved Egypt, so I can't wait to play Stygian. Talk about depth of backstory, Conan uses actual human cultures with thousands of years of real culture and history.

Jundak
11-09-2007, 10:23 AM
Nope. Not me. I'm here for the duration.

GoldyGopher
11-09-2007, 02:42 PM
Probably a lot of us will move over to it in the coming months. I will miss Elves and Halflings, but I have always loved Egypt, so I can't wait to play Stygian. Talk about depth of backstory, Conan uses actual human cultures with thousands of years of real culture and history.

Age of Conan, another of the revolutionary MMOs of the future. Redefine Fantasy MMOs, Best Game of 2007, Game of the Year 2007.

So are you ready to have your hopes dashed? I know that sounds mean but a game which has it's release date pushed back by almost two years (May of 2006 to Mar of 2008) isn't a good sign (and you complain about two weeks from Turbine). I played early in the open beta stage (May/Jul 2007) and was very unimpressed. Just like LotRO it has very impressive visuals, but the game play was not the smoothest of things (maybe Traditional MMO players would find it easier, but I doubt it.) and my poor computer (Intel Core Duo 2.3 4 GB RAM) was choking on the game. It's been suggested that game is designed for casual players, which I had to go back and read Jason Stone release a third time, cause there ain't no way. Six keys for the attack and oh get your formations right and because the AI is all real time the computer is already reacting to your next move, so those that memorize key sequences will do great, not real time.

I find it more intersting that the press loved the game in early 2007 before the six month push back, but after the last puch back From Oct to Mar 2008 they seem to have abondoned the game. Makes one wonder.

Tabula Rasa is another game just release that in the same boat, I had huge hopes for the game dashed as it appears NCsoft is trying to recoop anything out of the millions they spent on it.

Amabel
11-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Coming from Everquest as my online game addition starter I can recall several times where I started to mathematically go "This fight will last about 34 seconds, it will get me 0.7% of my level, after the fight it will take me about 72 seconds to get back all the HP and mana I used, the next MOB from here is about 8 seconds away, I will have my next level in 4 hours and 14 minutes, maybe a bit more if something goes wrong inbetween". Everything was so absolutely predictable and static. I can't even understand why I was so madly engrossed in a game like that when I look back on it.

My feeling exactly. I didn't even understand why I liked EQ so much when I was playing it, just kept logging in and grinding. Never got into WoW. Until DDO was released I found persistent NWN worlds to be more interesting than any MMO.

As for the smaller player base... I know it's not great for Turbine's business model, but I like the smaller player base. I like that DDO doesn't have mass-market appeal. I like that people I meet in a PUG are a good chance to be middle aged, and to have RP'd in real life (or at least have read a book)! I do not enjoy playing a dark and violent fantasy setting with kids and like that there aren't really any around (except when Mum or Dad let one of the kids test drive a lowby in the Harbour).

And the combat system in DDO is superb... love the little bit of twitch.

Anton27
11-25-2007, 06:48 PM
I like LoTR and also the LoTRO MMO since I can be involved in the LoTR lore and visit the places in the movie and books. I can enjoy LoTRO over WoW since the story line is something I am familiar with. I like thats is a main streem MMO so I can do alot of quests solo or with a friend.

DDO was my first MMO and it will be one I will always play because its D&D and a different MMO with instacned quests, everyone gets a choice for an end reward and you don't have to run a quest over and over to get that one item that is always going to someone else. The character creation and development is nicely done along with the D&D lore in the game.

LoTRO and DDO are the only 2 MMO's I will ever play.

JayDubya
12-05-2007, 12:05 PM
I played A Tale in the Desert a few years ago. That was a grind to end all grinds. Tried it for a couple of weeks, and gave up.

I tried City of Villains, but the combat system left me cold.

I tried the beta of LoTRO - same. It's just not very much fun to stand around, pushing buttons in order to make attacks.

My son wanted to play Guild Wars - I bought it for him. It plays like other MMOs, even though it's instanced. Dull, dull, dull.

I play a mix of DDO, god/sim games, RTGs and FPSes. I just re-did Half-Life 2 and Ep 1, so I could justify buying Ep 2.