PDA

View Full Version : Why human?

ErgonomicCat
11-06-2007, 04:53 PM
In PnP, I play basically nothing but humans. Occasionally I'll roll some odd +1 ECL critter, but pretty much, it's humans.

In DDO, I only have one human, and that's just because I didn't want another dwarf.

Is there a niche for humans in DDO? My first sorc was human, but Drow and WF really make so much better choices. I find that I have far too many elves, for the rapier bonuses, and dwarves, for the dwarven toughness.

I think the main problem is that DDO just doesn't have enough gotta take 'em feats yet, so that bonus feat ends up being excess baggage most of the time. So where do humans really shine? A pure class barb might benefit from the extra feat, and +1 skill is basically a free +2 int, but either my skills are int based (rogue), I need 13 int anyway (ce), or skills aren't that important.

I really like the human versatility enhancements, but I'm not good with remembering to use them when I need 'em.

Cowdenicus
11-06-2007, 07:21 PM
In PnP, I play basically nothing but humans. Occasionally I'll roll some odd +1 ECL critter, but pretty much, it's humans.

In DDO, I only have one human, and that's just because I didn't want another dwarf.

Is there a niche for humans in DDO? My first sorc was human, but Drow and WF really make so much better choices. I find that I have far too many elves, for the rapier bonuses, and dwarves, for the dwarven toughness.

I think the main problem is that DDO just doesn't have enough gotta take 'em feats yet, so that bonus feat ends up being excess baggage most of the time. So where do humans really shine? A pure class barb might benefit from the extra feat, and +1 skill is basically a free +2 int, but either my skills are int based (rogue), I need 13 int anyway (ce), or skills aren't that important.

I really like the human versatility enhancements, but I'm not good with remembering to use them when I need 'em.

34 wisdom clerics.

Lithic
11-17-2007, 08:02 PM
34 wisdom clerics.

26 Constitution Sorcerers

Dariun
11-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Since the original human versatility got nerfed, there has been no reason to play one.

A_Sheep
11-18-2007, 11:21 AM
+1 Feat for feat-starved Classes.

+1 str/wisdom over any other race in the game currently.

The current human versatility is actually pretty good. (Better than the old HV for my battlebard)

Mostly, the Human Adaptability does it for me on melees.

They could really use some sort of racial weapon enhancement line, though. It's a little unbalanced for some races to get a racial weapon and some not. Maybe something like the human adaptability, where you can pick one weapon to get a +1 to-hit and damage to (but no second level). This would make humans VERY attractive.

Dariun
11-18-2007, 01:49 PM
The current human versatility is actually pretty good. (Better than the old HV for my battlebard)

On what planet is a 20 second boost superior to a static bonus of the same amount?

Lithic
11-18-2007, 02:02 PM
On what planet is a 20 second boost superior to a static bonus of the same amount?

For skills its no contest. I mourn the passing ov HV every day I play my human rogue.

However, for combat its much better. You get the choice of ac boost, attack boost, saves boost, possibly speed boost, and a nerfed skill boost for the cost of one such class enhancement. I wouldnt ever take it myself, but for some characters it can work. I hate clickies.

Dariun
11-18-2007, 04:07 PM
For skills its no contest. I mourn the passing of HV every day I play my human rogue.

QFT

Mapa
12-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Build a Human Ranger with Shot on the Run and Spring attack. The next Mod may be the final death nell for SoR but so far it still has uses for me. I have no problems qualifying for the Tempest or the Sniper enhancements just because of that one extra human feat.

Barik
12-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Paladins, have to spread points thin..nice not to have the negatives. The extra feat helps in terms of keeping up a lil with the other tanks.

Murderface
12-10-2007, 09:56 PM
34 wisdom clerics.

god i want a +3 tome :P
sadly humans are only good at being clerics not that humans are bad
dorf is sevely overpowered back in the day when most of those enhancments came out u would have to take a severe loss in usisng one out four enhancments for dorf tough, dorf sr, dorf axe damage, dorf armor mastery
drows are strong because the oh so many cha based characters
warfoged are severely lacking in alot of areas but they still can improve saves

if you havent notice the game is entirely dependent in having high saves in all 3 categories

and the list goes on and on and on
humans have a boost and +1 to any stat yawn+2 to con for dorfs (not so much for wf because of the oh so many strikes against them) is unfortunately much better at the resent since theres no gauranteed the extra stackable stat increase is hmm not so great...and next level will be the same as well unless you get gauranteed +3 tomes
halflings were nerfd much with the seperation of halfling luck(notice dorfs didnt get there extra sr nerf
elves are good for hmm when u make a no cha using ranger that u want a bit more con on?
sadly id say the dorf is an overpowered beast and needs to be hit with the nerf hammer just like all the other races

if saves didnt matter besides lacking human toughness and a weapon damage enhancment then humans would be a great choice and it always is a good choice if you need another feat, alas tho humans dont have extra feats because usualy to be any good you auto need to spend it on save feats where other characters can put in x points and get +2 +3 +4 to saves

i will say barb humans can reach 46 str rather easily but does that really compare to axe damage??????????????????????????????????
which if u use the selected weapon its just like adding +4 str and thats +4 str and +4 dex if your finesse

i know your gonna say drow rapier damage but drows while good with wop rap have severe problems "tanking" due to there low con

so add all those awsome enahncments and use them on even the slightest melee toon and there leagues ahead of the rest
as far as the other classes even with no melee skills they still have the selection of 4 out of 5 best enahncments in the game. and thats a lowball number thinking more top 5 but i wont suggest it because of fear of back lash

the only race more qualified in any class besides maybe human cleric but for all intensive purposes when hp and saves matter fort/reflex/balance dorf wins. there is drow thank the gods because then everyone would be dorf

by the way i dont like dorfs even tho they get the best enahncments in the game. i wouldplay one but i dont like playing short and fat or else i would!

in conclusion i propose to anyone listening that humans and wf get sword damage!~!!!!!!!!

Souless
12-15-2007, 07:59 PM
U know i had a huge post that was PC worded and so on...but i think id rather say what i want:

RETURN HV BACK TO A PERMANENT BONUS!

add a human toughness

add a human armor enhancement

then u wont have to hit the dorf with the nerf hammer like u have the other races!

The Bytcher!

Samadhi
12-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Improved recovery line of enhancements has not been mentioned yet and is very nice.

jacobzzz
01-09-2008, 02:25 AM
actualy it isnt nice at all... full heals hit for 350ish... will it really make that big of a diff if they do more? a human tank would barely even be able to hit 350 hp and its not like ur getting those heals at 0 hp... they really should make the human versatility skills static, and the stat enhancements stack... meaning u can pick 2 con or 2 w/e.... just that alone will make human a decent race... 2 slight differences is all i ask for... and honestly in my opinion human sorc > drow sorc... human sorcs get way more con, and an extra metamagic feat basically= more power. At least for the dps sorc... insta kill really isnt my style

Bilger
01-09-2008, 02:52 AM
actualy it isnt nice at all... full heals hit for 350ish... will it really make that big of a diff if they do more? a human tank would barely even be able to hit 350 hp and its not like ur getting those heals at 0 hp... they really should make the human versatility skills static, and the stat enhancements stack... meaning u can pick 2 con or 2 w/e.... just that alone will make human a decent race... 2 slight differences is all i ask for... and honestly in my opinion human sorc > drow sorc... human sorcs get way more con, and an extra metamagic feat basically= more power. At least for the dps sorc... insta kill really isnt my style

Yea my clerics heal normaly hits for 399 and will fill most humans instantly accept for a TWF Barb I know.
As far as Sorcerers they at this time hit the same max useable charisma as a drow at 34 and get mor con. A 200 + HP sorce, equal sp, extra feat, and equal DC are far better than the drow sorce.
Granted with the cap increase we don't know what we getting as far as enhancements and such if no new char enhancement drows will get 36 and humans 35, but still are lacking in the power and HP of a human sorce.

Cold_Stele
01-09-2008, 03:15 AM
dorf is sevely overpowered back in the day when most of those enhancments came out u would have to take a severe loss in usisng one out four enhancments for dorf tough, dorf sr, dorf axe damage, dorf armor mastery

in conclusion i propose to anyone listening that humans and wf get sword damage!~!!!!!!!!

QFT and /signed.

Rekker
01-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Human Barbarians - for STR based builds.
Human Sorcerers - you get an additional Feat, much needed for Sorcs and 1 less CHA than Drow.

Club'in
01-11-2008, 04:22 PM
My only human is a 32 point build Cleric/Rogue. Extra feat allowed me to pick up Nimble Fingers at first level. And the extra skill point per level is excellent for this build. Cleric5/Rogue1 right now. I'll wait as long as I can before taking that second level of Rogue. I did eat an Intel Tome to further boost the skill points. I've only blown my nemesis trap box in Kobold Brothers (the witch doctor's acid chest), just like all my other rogues. :p She can hang with any rogue in the game at this level, and Command has been hitting pretty consistently. I love the cleric enhancement that gives me long sword proficiency.

MysticRhythms
01-11-2008, 05:04 PM

When that 20-second burst affects ANY d20 roll you can make as well as your Armor Class and Damage, it becomes pretty amazing, actually.

MysticRhythms
01-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Human Clerics get Wisdom and Charisma enhancements. The feat is a tremendous boon. The skill point lets you take Concentration and Diplomacy wiithout spending anything on Intelligence.

Human Rogues get another skill boost, another damage boost, a saving throw boost and an attack boost all in one enhancement. The feat AND the skill point, again, are a huge benefit.

Human Bards get the same use out of Versatility that Rogues get. My Warchanter loves the damage and attack boosts when he Power Attacks. Bards are also VERY VERY VERY starved for feats and having such a great skill list means the extra skill point gets put to use.

I have 6 characters I play a lot now. Three are humans, two are warforged and one is drow (and I really wish she were a 32-point elf instead).

WeaselKing
26 Constitution Sorcerers

Meh, WF are better for high con casters, my wiz has a 26 Con and can get 28 with +6 con item and +2 tome (might use favor tome for this).

Ciaran
Since the original human versatility got nerfed, there has been no reason to play one.

Extra Feat
Extra Skill Points
+1 to two stats
Because you want to?

Emili
01-19-2008, 02:26 AM
Human Clerics get Wisdom and Charisma enhancements. The feat is a tremendous boon. The skill point lets you take Concentration and Diplomacy wiithout spending anything on Intelligence.

Human Rogues get another skill boost, another damage boost, a saving throw boost and an attack boost all in one enhancement. The feat AND the skill point, again, are a huge benefit.

Human Bards get the same use out of Versatility that Rogues get. My Warchanter loves the damage and attack boosts when he Power Attacks. Bards are also VERY VERY VERY starved for feats and having such a great skill list means the extra skill point gets put to use.

I have 6 characters I play a lot now. Three are humans, two are warforged and one is drow (and I really wish she were a 32-point elf instead).

The boosts are nice as is the extra feat... only problem is as with any boost 2 minutes of boosts do not go very far between shrines and of the 20 sec 2 seconds are delayed so you really only get 18 seconds of boost to do anything with... often times I hold back on using a boost - except for skill usage. Battle boosts with the exception of the fighters haste are really sketchy in the output usage you get from them... I have two human fighters and a barbarian... the only time I hit those boosts are on a boss... even at +5 they are by far less powerful then a passive +2 to a weapon as each one constitues for appoximately 3 to 4 mob tops in usage du to the time frame to hit the key... interupt swing sequence and engage the mob ... then move onto the next.

The extra skill points are nice for skilled classes... humans tend to make out quite a bit (rogue or bard). The extra feat is not that great as people are right you find yourself shoring up the saves or toughness or other areas other races get by spending ap's - on top of that most racial enhancements make many feat look like garbage in some places... the extra feat is nice for planing out an early feat chain, but at capped toons most other races have greater leway since they plan around the feat chain and then use thier ap's to make a significant difference in the secondary things like save, AC, etc... so the Human usually falls behind there.

Humans do make decent fighters... not the epitome of one but an ok one. They make good casters, clerics but they shine a tad better in the pure classed rounded classes - pally or bard... they do very well in multiclassed characters outside of the 1-2 splash - which case the 1-2 slpash usually in 3.5 do better than a true multi.

Three out of nine of my characters are human - used to be five but there are predominantly some better races for some classes due to how you want the final build.

Mayen
06-11-2008, 01:57 PM
And one enhancment to rule them all, Improved Healing 3. If your tank based, the people keeping you alive (even yourself) will love you for it. If your a caster that doesnt want to go WF, then you can UMD CSW wands for a very nice return or even heal scrolls (143 instead of 110).
Extra Feat is helpful, extra skill equals less int you have to put in at starting if your worried about your skills. Other races "shine" more but in my opinion the shine is usually an overabundance of something you probably already have plenty of

JayDubya
06-11-2008, 02:17 PM
If I wanted a pure rogue, I probably would have gone Elf/Halfing/WF (assassin). But if I want to multiclass, and still maintain close-to-top level rogue skills without having to drop lots of extra levels of rogue, I prefer human. the skill, feat and respeccable floating stat boosts are very nice. HV as a boost instead of a static is a bummer, but it still works.

If I were to multiclass a monk, I would go human as well, for the wisdom and skill point bonuses.

Basically, if you want to go straight-class, Human is only optimal for Clerics, of the non-battle variety. But for many of the more sophisticated multiclassing options, being a human smooths out the rough edges between the roles.

Dawnblade
07-16-2008, 07:45 AM
I would think humans make good paladins. I'm waiting till I get my 1750 favor to build one but for what I have in mind, it sounds like it would be pretty cool.

The extra feat would allow me to get empowered heal without sacrificing other important feats. Additionally with lvls of improved recovery, devotion item and paladin devotion, I would be healing myself for decent amounts (assuming the enhancement affects my self heals as well). That would allow me to be a little more self sufficient in groups and solo.

Additionally, being able to raise two different stats could come in handy for a class like paladin.

I think it would be interesting to give humans a favored weapon bastard sword feat. I feel that right now there is little benefit for using such weapon and that could give said swords a place in game.

Keep in mind that the above opinions are from someone who has no experience with humans in DDO and limited experience with the game. Therefore, they could be completely wrong. :p

QuantumFX
07-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Humans are also underestimated for monks. Human Versatility for adding to whatever you need at the time (Monks could actually take advantage of every aspect of HV), Human Improved Recovery stacks with Monk Improved Recovery, and a +1 to your attack stat and Wisdom.

Noctus
07-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Humans are not useless. They make the best caster-clerics. And have some minor usefull racial abilities.
There are some builds out there who can put these minor boosts to work. Nobody said their racial enhancements are useless,but comparedto the racial enhancements the other races get the human falls sharply to the last place.

From a Powergaming viewpoint no reason to take Human as a class.(except obove mentioned caster-cleric)
For example the combat boosts are so much less usefull over the course of a quests than a static +2 bonus to hit and damage, which equals +4 STR. Makes the +1 STR increase Humans can get quiet pathetic.
Improved Recovery looses most of its usefullness once clerics are able to cast Heal. 1xHeal = your Full. With or without Improved Recovery.
Skill-Boost is nice, but Dwarfs, Elfes and Drow get a permanent +2 to search and can increase that further with AP.

--> Humans are no gimps or reserved for people who enjoy playing "for a challenge", they just lag behind in the power level of their racial enhancemts.

Dawnblade
07-16-2008, 08:45 AM
Improved Recovery looses most of its usefullness once clerics are able to cast Heal. 1xHeal = your Full. With or without Improved Recovery.

The benefit I can see of having improved recovery at high lvls is that if your cleric knows you have it, they can use a lower heal on you, which will cost less sp, being therefore more cost effective. At least that's what I read somewhere else and it actually made sense to me.

debo
07-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Humans are a strong race for just about every class except Fighter, and go figure my main is a Human Fighter.

Falcone
07-16-2008, 09:24 AM
If I wanted a pure rogue, I probably would have gone Elf/Halfing/WF (assassin). But if I want to multiclass, and still maintain close-to-top level rogue skills without having to drop lots of extra levels of rogue, I prefer human. the skill, feat and respeccable floating stat boosts are very nice. HV as a boost instead of a static is a bummer, but it still works.
<snip>
... for many of the more sophisticated multiclassing options, being a human smooths out the rough edges between the roles.

JayDubya hit exactly the reason I chose human for my 14 Bard / 2 Rogue. You can keep all the skills high enough (in my case: Search, Spot, Disable, Open Lock, Perform, UMD, Haggle) and have a maxed skill-boost via HV instead of Rogue levels, also gaining the option for the other HV boosts situationally.

krud
07-30-2008, 09:14 PM
they are good for any multipurpose multiclass build. The ability to shift stat enhancements wherever needed is good for builds that need quite a few stats. The extra feat and skill points will help any multi-rogue build. NeatoMan would not be anywhere near as well rounded. most other races, except maybe drow, would require him to be a little more focused.

Generals
07-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Well, considering the time spent behind your character's bum, it's hard to beat the human female. :D

Reason enough?

Dawnblade
07-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Well, considering the time spent behind your character's bum, it's hard to beat the human female. :D

Reason enough?

Hmm guess it's time to reroll my elven paladin :D

Tanka
07-31-2008, 11:20 AM
Lesser Dragonmark of Passage.

'Nuff said.

Aspenor
07-31-2008, 11:24 AM
Meh, WF are better for high con casters, my wiz has a 26 Con and can get 28 with +6 con item and +2 tome (might use favor tome for this).

Warforged sorcs suffer from -2 DC compared to a tweaked human caster. That's at least 10% spells hitting more. That's a huge difference.

Wizard is a better choice for warforged.

GORAK
07-31-2008, 11:02 PM
I find Humans to be the best overall race. The original core classes of fighter, magic user, cleric and thief were all human and they were the most powerful class in the original D&D basic game. I only play humans in PnP with my favorite being a pure human thief and next fighter.

JetEskimo
08-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Going human was the only way I could get my Dex-based, spring attacking, Fighter2/BardX warchanter all the necessary feats for WC by level 8. Plus I still have room for FoP, and TWF/ITWF at later levels. That extra feat, the skill points, and chose-your-own ability enhancements can really help flesh out a non min/maxed build.

flamberg
09-04-2008, 09:54 PM
I dont know people forget about flavor in the game is it all about min and max everything. My main toon is a Human fighter most people love to run with him (dont know why maybe hes good or something). He uses get this dwarven axes I like to make a character that is not the norm. Everyone is forgetting about one of the best things about a human. Check out the human dragon mark of passage. 25% striding and Dimension door ok teleport is kinda lame but DD is the most useful clickie a human fighter can have.

You can make the same kinda toon the next guy is making. What I call a cookie cutter toon or you can have fun in the game and experiment and enjoy what the game has to offer.

DDO has over powered some races lets just look at the WF omg no disease, no poison, no paralasys, no underwater action item, and no enveneration, dang that consumes alot of inventory slots Oh wait give me 20 seconds to change armor, let me screw in a new docent immediatly.

Dwarves wow what damage we could do with them axes.

I am just saying play the race cause its fun not cause you can maximize the stats.

Inspire
09-04-2008, 11:22 PM
actualy it isnt nice at all... full heals hit for 350ish... will it really make that big of a diff if they do more? a human tank would barely even be able to hit 350 hp and its not like ur getting those heals at 0 hp...

Dunno About That I Only Have 1 Human, A 16 Paladin, Who Has 411 Hps, I Know Human Tanks Out There With 500+, /Shrug, Still I See Your Point.

Zenako
09-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Dunno About That I Only Have 1 Human, A 16 Paladin, Who Has 411 Hps, I Know Human Tanks Out There With 500+, /Shrug, Still I See Your Point.

And don't forget how much healing gets handled via Scrolls by many clerics (HEAL and MASS CUREs) and those scrolls clearly do not hit for 300+ points a pop. Getting a 30% boost on the effectiveness on those effects adds up.

Thorboar
09-16-2008, 05:24 PM
I play a human because my main is based on my character I played in pnp years ago. He is a strength based pure ranger which I enjoy playing in the game. He may not have the uber HP's (his is 348) like dorfs but he can put out some serious DPS. I have him spec'ed out with dual khopesh's, improved slash crit, power attack, and of course tempest. So the extra feat helps.

I do use the human versatility +5 clicky for attacks, damage, or AC which is a nice boost. The +5 for attacks is nice to offset the power attack -5 to hit.

And I have not used the 2 human adaptibility enhancements yet. Its because It would increase an ability to an odd number which would be useless. Once I get +2 or +3 tomes then I could respec and use the enhancement to bump an ability up.

knightgf
09-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Well, if you think about it, we, the players, are humans. Is it not natural to play as our own race in a game such as this?

Besides, humans are neutral characters that can blend in to any class. They're not like the other races, where they have +x, -x stats, and plus, the added advantage is that we can pick an extra feat when we start. I have never really stuck with making any other character besides human, because its pretty much a natural class, and you can start with 1 extra feat.

SynfoolaCMT
12-10-2008, 08:52 AM
After finally rolling/playing some human toons, I have to say the greatest strength that comes with rolling a human is added versatility for versatility-starved builds/pure builds.

My Pure Pally for example:

- Extra Feat to throw into Toughness so I can still take Power Attack and blaze through lower levs with a decent GA/Carniflex while benefitting from both Human Racial Toughness & Paladin Toughness enhancements so I'm not pumping every last stat drop into Con.

- Extra Skill Points so the half-points I get for freaking Intimidate not being a class skill don't hurt so much.

- Least Dragonmark: Sentinel for another bonus to Intimidate to soak up the annoyance mentioned above as well as Shield of Faith x 3. That saves me trips to the Apothecary as well as the Jorasco buffer and the bonuses/duration get better with levels.

- Human Versatility let's me be stingy with Enhancement Points and only use the Saves Bonus when I need it to save against caster mezzes, the AC Bonus, or the Attack Bonus in low levs to make up for the Power Attack penalty. It becomes less useful as I progress in levs but is still nice to have.

- No negatives to worry about. I didn't think this was that great of a quality until rolling something like a Pally due to too many stat requirements.

- Human Adaptability is great to have for a Pally since it's so stat hungry for a variety of things. Even with a bookshelf of +1 Tomes, I was still worried about how this build would turn out later but, along with the fact that Humans don't have stat penalties, the +1 to 2 Stats really eases up a build that could use the break from stat drama...especially with the new enhancements coming and their requirements.

Thanks to all of that (and of course decent gear), I now have a pure Pally at lev 9 that can reach 51 AC with pots/self-buffs for tanking when it's needed as well as swing a Great Axe and Divine Sac/Smite Crit in the 260's+ range and LoH 3 times for 120 health. All with over 200 health after Virtue with only a +2 Con item and no False Life item on. Not to mention the usual goodies of Cure/Restore Wand whipping, Remove Disease, being able to Turn UD Altar-Nuke in Xorian Cipher (about the only place where Turning doesn't seem horribly broken) and being able to fight mummies with just some Remove Curse pots due Disease Immunity and NOT having to wear a Reaver's Ring because I'm Immune to Fear. She's probably not "Teh Ubar" and will still fall behind other builds for this and/or that later on due to the nature of the game currently, but she's still making a difference in PuG's with her versatility...versatility which I believe would have been less attainable had I chose another race for her with the playstyle I wanted. :)

So, I guess you could just take this example and say, "OK....Humans good for pure Pallies who want to be versatile, but normally would have problems due to stat limitations" or you could just apply that opinion to other classes.

Wizzly_Bear
12-10-2008, 08:57 AM
[snip]
necromancer :p

but yes, humans are great for versatility. others are great for specializing.

SynfoolaCMT
12-10-2008, 09:32 AM
I couldn't help it! I was bored and it's cold outside! :O

Noctus
12-10-2008, 11:26 AM
The new design of the Thoughness enhancements really made the gap between Humans and the short&hairy melee über-Race a bit less pronounced.

minivanman
12-10-2008, 09:11 PM
And don't forget how much healing gets handled via Scrolls by many clerics (HEAL and MASS CUREs) and those scrolls clearly do not hit for 300+ points a pop. Getting a 30% boost on the effectiveness on those effects adds up.

This also carries over to potions and wands. Yeah, they're a last resort, but generally when you're at the point of last resort, the extra help is very useful.

I like humans, but don't play humans exclusively. My fighter tank can get to 500 hp, has an intimidate of 65 (with the HV boost), and an AC in the 60's. He's weakish on DPS, but he's not really built for that. However, for 20 seconds, that extra +5 from HV makes him superior in that capacity than any other race (except the DPS). Yeah, it's only 20 seconds, but that's why it's called versatility. The extra feat is what's going to qualify him for Kensai, while also being an exceptional intimidator, and also keep things like Shield Mastery and Improved Shield Mastery.

Yeah, human fighters can be very good. You just have to be okay with not being the best at one thing, except intimidate. Nothing can irritate the Hound more than a fully spec'd human intimidator.

QuantumFX
12-11-2008, 12:26 AM
The new design of the Thoughness enhancements really made the gap between Humans and the short&hairy melee über-Race a bit less pronounced.

Moreso with humans but it shortened the gap for everyone. Racial Toughness I/II makes up for the cost prohibitiveness of <melee class> Toughness IV. (If you spent your action points wisely you could have the same # of HP from mod 7 to 8 and save yourself 1AP.) And Improved Recovery is worth not having Toughness IV.

nbhs275
12-11-2008, 12:57 AM

For sorcerers, you can get the same cha, 3 more con, and +30% healing. When you get 150-70% healing and have 300+ hp on a sorcerer, your in busness. Heal scrolls for 187 is just a nice thing.

And by the same token, they make great monks, with 200% healing, they can keep themselves topped off with just healing curse many times.

Corvid7
02-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Don't forget about the Mark of Making!