PDA

View Full Version : Bornearm: WF Intimitank

Tanka
11-03-2007, 09:22 AM
OK, after 0 replies in the Fighter forums, I'm bringing it here. Apparently people don't think a WF can tank very well. :p

Posted verbatim from the original (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=126012).

--

I've been intrigued by initimitanks recently, mainly because of my small time spent beta testing Hellgate: London and how fun Guardians are in that game.

So, taking a page from Riot's Tank Build, I tried out a WF Intimitank.

This build can easily do well with or without tomes, though it excels with tomes and plenty of raid loot to go around.

32 point, though. If you only have access to 28 point, fiddle around. You can drop the Con and Wis by 2 points each and survive.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 2.70
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 14 Lawful Good Warforged Male
(14 Fighter)
Hit Points: 232
Spell Points: 0
BAB: 14\14\19\24
Fortitude: 13
Reflex: 6
Will: 8

Starting Ending Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 14) (Level 14)
Strength 16 21 24
Dexterity 12 14 14
Constitution 14 16 18
Intelligence 14 14 14
Wisdom 12 14 14
Charisma 8 10 10

Tomes Used
+1 Tome of Strength used at level 1
+1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 1
+1 Tome of Constitution used at level 1
+1 Tome of Wisdom used at level 1
+1 Tome of Charisma used at level 1
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 14
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 14
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 14
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 14
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 14

Starting Ending Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 14) (Level 14)
Balance 3 10.5 5.5
Bluff -1 0 0
Concentration 2 4 4
Diplomacy -1 0 0
Disable Device n/a n/a n/a
Haggle -1 0 0
Heal 1 2 2
Hide 1 2 -3
Intimidate 3 17 20
Jump 7 24 19
Listen 1 2 2
Move Silently 1 2 -3
Open Lock n/a n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a n/a
Repair 2 2 2
Search 2 2 2
Spot 1 2 2
Swim 3 7 -3
Tumble 3 10.5 5.5
Use Magic Device n/a n/a n/a

Level 1 (Fighter)
Skill: Balance (+2)
Skill: Intimidate (+4)
Skill: Jump (+4)
Skill: Tumble (+2)
Feat: (Selected) Adamantine Body
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Fighter Armored Agility I
Enhancement: Fighter Item Defense I
Enhancement: Warforged Healer's Friend I

Level 2 (Fighter)
Skill: Balance (+0.5)
Skill: Intimidate (+1)
Skill: Jump (+1)
Skill: Tumble (+0.5)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Dodge
Enhancement: Fighter Intimidate I
Enhancement: Fighter Strength I
Enhancement: Warforged Construct Thinking I

Level 3 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Combat Expertise
Enhancement: Fighter Armor Mastery I
Enhancement: Warforged Constitution I

Level 4 (Fighter)
Ability Raise: STR
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Specialization: Slashing Weapons

Level 5 (Fighter)
Enhancement: Fighter Armored Agility II
Enhancement: Fighter Intimidate II
Enhancement: Warforged Healer's Friend II

Level 6 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Shield Bash
Feat: (Selected) Iron Will
Enhancement: Fighter Strength II

Level 7 (Fighter)
Enhancement: Fighter Armor Mastery II

Level 8 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Warforged Constitution II

Level 9 (Fighter)
Feat: (Selected) Shield Mastery
Enhancement: Fighter Armored Agility III

Level 10 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Shield Mastery
Enhancement: Fighter Intimidate III

Level 11 (Fighter)
Enhancement: Fighter Strength III

Level 12 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Greater Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 13 (Fighter)
Enhancement: Fighter Armor Mastery III

Level 14 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Greater Weapon Specialization: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Warforged Healer's Friend III
For a total AC breakdown...

10 base
4 Dex bonus
8 Adamantine Body
9 +5 Mithral Tower Shield
5 +5 Docent
5 Combat Expertise
2 Chaosgarde
3 Seal of Earth
3 Chattering Ring
5 Protection Item
--

A few points shy of Riot's build, but comes with added immunities! Disease, Poison, Negative Levels, and built-in light fortification!

As for gear ideas, lots of raid loot makes this build pretty well superior to your standard fare fighter.

Head: +Intim item (Helm of Mroranon would even work for some content)
Goggles: Sandstorm Goggles
Necklace: +5 Prot/Amulet of the Stormreaver
Trinket: Mummified Bat/Kardin's Eye/Jerky/Head of Good Fortune
Cloak: +6 Cha (for when you need that Intimidate to hit)/Cloak of the Zephyr/Greater Resist/Jungle (reduced healing, but every bit helps)
Belt: Belt of Mroranon (heavy fort!)/Lion-Headed Belt Buckle
Gloves: +4-6 Dex/Bramble-Casters
Ring 1: Chattering Ring
Ring 2: Seal of the Earth
Bracers: Chaosgarde
Docent: +5, insert whatever here (+5 Fearsome, if obtainable, would rock the virtual casbah)
Shield: +5 Mith Tower Shield

I don't have this build up and running, still working on my Evasion guy. But this just might be the next build I work on.

Introduce a full Ranger and Paladin to the mix and the AC just goes up!

Now, alignment. Lawful Good, yes. Why? No UMD. This allows usage of Chaosgardes without a UMD check, as well as (if the raid is ever beatable again) usage of the new longsword (banishing, banishing!) with no UMD hassle.

Filter with plenty of nice longswords, battleaxes, scimitars, whatever, and you can hold out on damage as well.

Pick up some +5 Guard Docents, Brambles and Lion-Headed and you can go into Porcupine mode, just as Riot has gone about on occasion.

--

Extra notes:

If/when they fix the Abbot raid to be completable, the Emerald Claw turn-in has a +5 Docent with both a +1 inherent bonus to AC and to-hit. Bumps the base to 55 AC, standing. An "of Parrying" weapon brings it to 56, but most likely I'll be pulling out more Greater Banes than Parrying weapons.

I'm contemplating trying without the Healer's Friend lineup, since things will only hit me on a natural 20 and never crit (starting around L7, at least), most Clerics will be able to keep the healing up for the minimal amounts I'll take. This opens up the possibility of trying out WF Brute Fighting for more aggro gain.

It is very raid loot heavy. You can get by without some of the raid loot, but it'll be at a penalty, in some cases, to your AC, or to your general DR/ability to maintain aggro (lack of +6 Str item puts you at a piddling 24 Str after a +2 tome, with CE turned on, you won't be hitting squat).

Impaqt
11-03-2007, 09:37 AM
I dont think people have an issue with WF tanks.... I think people have issues with a Dozen pieces of raid loot and 5 +2 Tomes in order to run a build.

It just doesnt make sense for the average player to even try a build like this. This is an Elite Metagamer build.

and your saving throws and AC are still pretty low for a Tank.

Tanka
11-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Considering Riot's build is a standing 56 AC (that is, no buffs), a 54 is not "pretty low", it's "maybe getting hit a touch more if I'm unlucky."

And, honestly, a Tank build is going to want all the raid loot and tomes. I never said this was a build for casual players. I did say it can get by without the tomes, but that doesn't mean that any and every casual player can run it easily. It's easier for a casual player to play a Barb than to play a class that needs to invest itself heavily in raid loot.

Saves do factor in, yes. Mixing in a +5 resist item (such as, Boots of the Innocent) and a GH pushes it up higher. Being WF obviously makes one immune to most spells that plague fighters at high levels (mainly holds).

amysrevenge
11-04-2007, 04:46 PM
One thing that can counter a bit of lower AC is a bit higher DR...

You could drop some of the weapon focus/specialization type feats, and take a few Improved DR feats instead (and max out the enhancements). You can get your standing DR up pretty high, and your blocking DR through the roof.

Tanka
11-04-2007, 05:44 PM
One thing that can counter a bit of lower AC is a bit higher DR...

You could drop some of the weapon focus/specialization type feats, and take a few Improved DR feats instead (and max out the enhancements). You can get your standing DR up pretty high, and your blocking DR through the roof.
Too true. I saw Maldini's Timex build, was playing around with a variant 8 Pal/4 Ftr/2 Rog, same AC as his build, plus Evasion and UMD.

So now I gotta think on it, lol.

nbhs275
11-05-2007, 10:01 AM
dont know how well the DR stands up in endgame, as addy breaks it, and it wouldnt stack with stoneskin, which would matter if you have a seal.

Hmm, you could go mith armor, and moving your dex farther up and squeak a few more points of AC without using a towershield. Though it would most likely hit your melee damage, so may be void. Is the last 2 levels of fighter playing a large role? if not could pick up the 2 levels of rogue and move to mith body.

Tanka
11-05-2007, 10:17 AM
dont know how well the DR stands up in endgame, as addy breaks it, and it wouldnt stack with stoneskin, which would matter if you have a seal.

Hmm, you could go mith armor, and moving your dex farther up and squeak a few more points of AC without using a towershield. Though it would most likely hit your melee damage, so may be void. Is the last 2 levels of fighter playing a large role? if not could pick up the 2 levels of rogue and move to mith body.
As I said above, was replugging Maldini's Timex build a bit and found a way to up the AC to 57 (standing, no buffs, etc), gain Evasion and UMD. Pal 8/Ftr 4/Rog 2. Cap update will probably be more into Fighter, hopefully gaining a +3 Dex tome at some point, so I can put points into FAM1 and FTSM2 as my Enhancements.

I did, however, have to lose WF: Slashing and WS: Slashing to pull it off the same with similar feats as the pure Fighter build, bringing down my to-hit by 4 overall.

With a +1 Dex tome, Rogue Dex 1 and a +6 item, all I need is Tower Shield Mastery 1 with a Mith TS to hit the 57.

Upside to that build: gain UMD, Evasion, higher standing AC, wand-usage... Lots of benefits, to be honest.

nbhs275
11-05-2007, 12:23 PM
As I said above, was replugging Maldini's Timex build a bit and found a way to up the AC to 57 (standing, no buffs, etc), gain Evasion and UMD. Pal 8/Ftr 4/Rog 2. Cap update will probably be more into Fighter, hopefully gaining a +3 Dex tome at some point, so I can put points into FAM1 and FTSM2 as my Enhancements.

I did, however, have to lose WF: Slashing and WS: Slashing to pull it off the same with similar feats as the pure Fighter build, bringing down my to-hit by 4 overall.

With a +1 Dex tome, Rogue Dex 1 and a +6 item, all I need is Tower Shield Mastery 1 with a Mith TS to hit the 57.

Upside to that build: gain UMD, Evasion, higher standing AC, wand-usage... Lots of benefits, to be honest.

Hmm, yea. Though if you can fit in 2 more points of dex, extra point of AC for what its worth.

Tanka
11-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Hmm, yea. Though if you can fit in 2 more points of dex, extra point of AC for what its worth.
It'd be base Dex 12, +1 tome, Rogue Dex 1, +6 item, maxes out Mith Body. In order to boost the TS Max Dex up another point I'd need 3 more Ftr levels though, so I may contemplate 8 Ftr/4 Pal/2 Rog and just take another 2 Pal at the cap update.

cforce
11-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Coming late to the conversation, but I'll also argue in favor of getting more DR. On my Mithral evasion-tank, I went whole hog and got myself up to DR 7/ad, and haven't regretted it once. While it still only takes off a fraction of incoming damage, it definitely adds up.

Deadz_DDO
10-20-2008, 03:28 PM
but if i do something like this, what can i splash to get the ac up with 14 fighter? I see You can splash and ac goes yup w/ paladin and ranger, but i pure don't get it.

Tanka
10-20-2008, 03:35 PM
but if i do something like this, what can i splash to get the ac up with 14 fighter? I see You can splash and ac goes yup w/ paladin and ranger, but i pure don't get it.
It was a theorycraft of mine from over a year ago. Really, there's little reason to stay pure. Maybe when the cap goes up they'll introduce L20 Enhancements, but I doubt they're gonna be must-haves.

Deadz_DDO
10-20-2008, 03:51 PM
i mean i don't get how the splash gets your AC up.. i'm basically looking to build a Warforged that has good ac but can dps a little, i'm such a noober! I wasn't saying anything about your build, i'm using it as a basis for what i wanna do, but i'm just gonna wing it, i double i'll be doing any elite endgame, and if i stick around that long,well hopefully i'll have a 32 point build and some tomes to play with when i rerollerrama..

Thanks for the reply :)

hu-flung-pu
10-22-2008, 07:12 AM
Just some constructive criticism. It's not a bad build, I just think it wasn't thought out thoroughly.

Why so much WIS?

Put those points in to CON, DEX, or CHA instead. And take Construct thinking enhancement line. +3 to will save based enchantments.

And what purpose does Jump and Tumble serve over Repair or Spot? If you need it that bad, just get a jump clickie, that will solve most of your problems.

All those Fighter feats, and enhancements, and you didn't take a single Improved DR?

Seriously, consider a tank with maxed out adamantine DR. You could be standing there with something like 9 adamantine DR. That's enough to get noticed by the cleric when you're standing toe to toe with a big nasty and he has to heal you once, maybe twice? Especially if you take improved fortification and never get critically hit, you won't even have to worry about the cleric.

You compromised so much for trying to do damage, you left out a LOT of viable tanking options, especially with Warforged, you could slot in any race and come out with a better tank with your build. If I were to take your build, I'd just swap in halfling, and start with the mithral full plate, and high DEX and see where I could go from there.

You didn't really rely much on what a Warforged can do as a tank. Just sort of took his immunities and left it at that.

Tanka
10-22-2008, 07:15 AM
I also never wound up building him. :p

hu-flung-pu
10-22-2008, 07:56 AM
What did you make instead?

Tanka
10-22-2008, 08:02 AM
What did you make instead?
Ha! Like I recall what alts I've made and deleted over the course of a year. :p

WeaselKing
01-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Warforged builds shouldn't die. Bump.

Tanka
01-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Warforged builds shouldn't die. Bump.
rofl. Never built the guy. I'd scrap this, honestly.

WeaselKing
01-31-2009, 06:29 PM
rofl. Never built the guy. I'd scrap this, honestly.

Meh I just ressed all the builds Daemonis had indexed