PDA

View Full Version : A Dark Tale: The Day of Dolurrh

Tolero
10-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Nyx Durandimion sits at a campfire in the Necropolis under a star-filled sky and beckons you closer:

“There is a story told from one generation to the next among my people. You won’t find this story in any book found in Stormreach nor in any of the scholars’ books across Khorvaire. Before the Necropolis became as it is now; before the elves broke the bonds of slavery of their giant masters there was an elf who angered the Dragon Below and tricked him to release his victims, but the Dragon Below had the last laugh! Only a few remain today that lived when the tale was a reality. Alas! Those few are deathless now in the elven lands in the north and will not speak of that moment of Xen’drik’s history, but I will tell you if you are brave enough to know it!”

Nyx sits patiently as you shift from foot to foot, unsure of whether or not to believe him or if what he says is true or just another drow old wives’ tale. As feeling of uneasiness settles in the chill air of the Necropolis, you finally sit down and decide that a little company might not be a bad idea. Nyx smiles and offers a mug of honeymead.

Nyx begins his tale:

Swnistar was a young drow who was his tribe’s greatest hunter and had loved his family so. He doted on his wife and daughter when he wasn’t hunting for the tribe or doing as his giant masters demanded. If things had gone better for Swnistar he would most assuredly had become the tribe’s next leader. However, fate, as it were, would be unkind to him and this land you sit upon now would never be the same!

Swnistar was informed by his masters that the Eye of Siberys would shed its tears in the morrow and that they wanted him to fetch them. This task was important to his masters as the tears were used in various magics. You may know these tears by their more accurate description of siberys dragonshards. Swnistar was pleased to accept the task because it brought honor to his tribe. The shamans believed that those who touch the tears of Siberys touched the Dragon Above and were blessed. Their families would prosper for many generations. Doubly blessed would Swnistar’s family be because his daughter, Huewlyn would be with him – this was her first task as a newly appointed hunter for her tribe.

For three nights, the tears of Siberys fell to the lands below, showering the Dragon Between, Eberron, with her riches. Together, Swnistar and his daughter traveled to the forest where the shards were most prominent. They collected hundreds of shards for their masters. One shard had shown above all others. Huewlyn saw the beauty of this shard which had been caught by a tree overlooking the depths of the Dragon Below.

Swnistar wanted to go back to his masters, but Huewlyn wanted to make her masters proud of her, and so Huewlyn climbed the tree. Reaching out to the out-stretched limb, Huewlyn’s warrior frame was too much for the tree. Swnistar feared for his daughter’s well being and pleaded for her to climb down. But something urged Huewlyn further. Something dark, as if it came from the depths of Khyber itself! She ignored her father and climbed out further onto the branch itself which creaked under her weight. Snapping, popping noises filled the depths below, echoing from the tree. Swnistar cried for Huewlyn one last time, his cries tearing from his inner soul!

The branch snapped.

Huewlyn fell hundreds, nay, thousands of feet to the core of Khyber itself. Swnistar could hear Huewlyn’s screams for two days before she hit the bottom. Dead.

Swnistar could not return to his family, feeling responsible for his daughter’s death. Staring at the shards of Siberys, he threw them into Khyber, refusing to give his masters the very objects that caused Huewlyn’s death. He was going to throw himself next when the voice of the Dragon Below called to him.

“Swnistar! You daughter’s life hangs on the thread of this realm and the next. I can return her to you, but for a price.”

Swnistar knew better than to trust the Dragon Below. Evil lurks in Khyber’s heart and when Khyber tempts you, the smart thing to do is to turn away lest you be corrupted by his “favors”. However, love for his family outweighed any other thoughts and he desperately wanted his daughter back. He agreed to Khyber’s promise and offered anything asked of him.

“I want your soul in return for hers. You have three days to decide, after that time, I will devour her and send her soul to Dolurrh.”

Swnistar returned home and accepted 13 lashings from his masters for his failure to return the shards to them. This was no punishment in Swnistar’s eyes. The real punishment was returning to his wife and telling her what had happened to their daughter.

They cried for a whole night together, and then Swnistar told his wife about the promise of the Dragon Below. His wife told him that he was too important to die and had to remain with the tribe to protect them. She instead would take his place and die to return their daughter. It was not an easy decision and they wept together for the next day. On the third day, they returned together to give their answer to the Dragon Below.

The Dragon Below asked if Swnistar had decided if he would sacrifice himself for his daughter’s life. Swnistar’s wife walked to the edge of the cliff that overlooked the Dragon Below and declared that she would sacrifice herself for her daughter in Swnistar’s stead.

The Dragon Below was impressed by this act of bravery. “Because the love of a mother is strong, I will return more than your daughter. Powerful am I, and I can transcend Dolurrh and return the loved ones of your entire village who has died unjustly.”

Swnistar and his wife were overjoyed at this promise. With one last kiss, Swnistar’s wife leaped into the depths of Khyber, never to be seen again.

“Now, Swnistar, will I return your daughter and all your other loved ones in three night’s time. On the third night, they will return to your village and you will be remembered for all you have done for them. Now go! Tell them what you have done!”

Swnistar ran with all his speed and told the elders of his deed. The tribe was thrilled and planned a celebration so large surely their masters would not be able to sleep through it!

On the third night, Swnistar waited anxiously for the return of his daughter, as the tribe equally awaited the return of their loved ones.

Outside the village, voices could be heard in the darkness. Swnistar believed he could hear the voice of his daughter and rushed out to greet her – what he found instead was her broken body stumbling toward him. Her eyes rolled behind her head, her neck broken, and one of her arms dangling from her body, dragging along the ground limply. This undead creature made its way to him, calling his name without feeling. “Father! I have returned!”

The tribe looked in terror as all their dead loved ones were returned in similar undead horror! They attacked Swnistar: “You brought this terror upon us! You desecrated their memory and devastated their souls forever to Khyber! Dolurrh is spread open before us and it is you who are to blame!”

Swnistar backed away from the mob into the army of undead relatives, who tore at him slowly for three days and three nights. At the end of the third night, they rested, leaving the village to return them once more to their graves.

It is said that occasionally you can still hear the screams of Swnistar on this very same three days of the year if you listen carefully in the Necropolis. If you hear him, beware, for the remains of loved ones and fallen heroes may walk the paths of Eberron once more.

Nyx ends his tale of woe and smiles again.

“It’s a morality tale of ages past. ‘Be careful of what you wish for’ as told by my tribe for millennia from one generation to the next. It may or may not be true – but what I do know is this: Every now and then, at this time of year, the undead rise from their graves in the Necropolis and haunt these lands looking for their loved ones and attacking those who tread upon their graves. So be careful, friend."

Nyx looks at the full moons overheard and pulls his robe closer to keep out the chill air.

“Sleep well, friend”

You listen closely to the night air. There! What was that? Maybe it was nothing – or maybe it was the cries of a man for his daughter. Perhaps it was the wind, but that doesn’t stop you from keeping your hand on the hilt of your sword nonetheless as you watch the shadows during the night.

Fetchi
10-26-2007, 05:20 PM
That was awesome Tolero! Happy Halloween!:)

Xyfiel
10-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Sounds like fun. Post some pics, I have to go underway so will miss it.

MysticTheurge
10-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Yay, fun.

(PS should one pronounce it Suunister? I don't know why I thought that, there's language, Welsh if I'm remembering right, where W can be a vowel pronounced like a double U.)

jjflanigan
10-26-2007, 06:02 PM
Yay, fun.

(PS should one pronounce it Suunister? I don't know why I thought that, there's language, Welsh if I'm remembering right, where W can be a vowel pronounced like a double U.)

Isn't W always pronounced Double U??? :D

Cool story, hoping to see something with this in game :)

FYI, it's driving me nuts -- it should be shone, not shown

MysticTheurge
10-26-2007, 06:07 PM
FYI, it's driving me nuts -- it should be shone, not shown

They're like Show Dogs. One of the had shown above all the others. ;)

rfachini
10-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Excellent story!!

Edits:

"As feeling of uneasiness settles in the chill air " should be As a feeling of uneasiness....

"Her eyes rolled behind her head" is really unclear... do you mean eyes rolling up inside her head, or rolling on the ground BEHIND her head...?

“Sleep well, friend” is missing a period at the end.

Once again, great story for Halloween! Thanks!

Kindoki
10-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Excellent story!!

Edits:

"As feeling of uneasiness settles in the chill air " should be As a feeling of uneasiness....

"Her eyes rolled behind her head" is really unclear... do you mean eyes rolling up inside her head, or rolling on the ground BEHIND her head...?

“Sleep well, friend” is missing a period at the end.

Once again, great story for Halloween! Thanks!

I can't decide who prickles my skin more...the masses of people incapable of spelling a single word of the English language correctly, and with proper punctuation; or the person who corrects four errors in what was otherwise a wonderfully written story?

Either way, thanks Tolero. I am looking forward to Halloween; DDO style!

Nataichal
10-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Ok, is this actually supposed to announce something, cause I'm not going to dig thru that whole post, especially if its just fan fiction.

Kindoki
10-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Ok, is this actually supposed to announce something, cause I'm not going to dig thru that whole post, especially if its just fan fiction.

I think it's fair to say that for someone of your patience and fortitude, it announces nothing. :D

Nataichal
10-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Has nothing to do with patience. Has to do with the fact that I'm tired and just finished taking the GRE, so I have no desire to read yet ANOTHER lengthy passage.

MysticTheurge
10-26-2007, 06:58 PM
or rolling on the ground BEHIND her head...?

That would be awesome!

Has nothing to do with patience. Has to do with the fact that I'm tired and just finished taking the GRE, so I have no desire to read yet ANOTHER lengthy passage.

Perhaps you should head to bed then and take a fresh look at it in the morning.

jjflanigan
10-26-2007, 07:04 PM

Can it really be called "fan" fiction if an employee writes it?

issiana
10-26-2007, 07:32 PM
sounds cool. i look forward to "meeting" a few random undead zombies wandering into the necropolis tavern :D

P.S. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE (can i say that enough!!, lol) dont forget us late night players in your in game events. Yeah sure we aren't the main playerbase, but hey, we like the odd in game event to :)

I play around 3-7am est. so maybe set something up for us late nighters?

Ziggy
10-26-2007, 07:58 PM
Love the story.

Mizyrlou
10-26-2007, 08:55 PM
Not bad, not bad at all especially considering the board's family friendly.

Myself, I'd've packed more wallop into it but then what does one expect from a girl who's sat through mostly horror films since she could sit up in the playpen.

Ildaron
10-27-2007, 02:04 AM
I was posting to say I liked the new loading screen, however the story is pretty awesome too!

Zack77
10-27-2007, 06:32 AM
Excellent Story, and if this has something to do with an in-game event on Halloween, all the better. But, otherwise, I loved it!! Only thing is, sucks for him, having to deal with the trick pulled on him. Yes, I know, its fiction, but still. What if it happened in real life? That would suck the big one.

Uamhas
10-27-2007, 07:04 AM
Strangest thing.... I was in Tempest Spine last night with some friends- you know, just shootin the bull, throwing the coal, contemplating the joys of grease- when these 3 or 5 skeletons came rattling up (following on the heels of a too-curious warforged).. This reminded me of earlier in the evening, having meandered out to enjoy a nice cuppa chicory coffee, when I had heard reports being shrieked by Nereid of walking undead sporadically infesting the area. Coincidence???
(love the story, Tolero. Very reminiscent of the Monkey's Paw)

Kindoki
10-27-2007, 08:12 AM
Perhaps you should head to bed then and take a fresh look at it in the morning.

I concur with MT. And congrats on the GRE, that can be a bear.

Kistilan
10-27-2007, 08:33 AM
I concur with MT. And congrats on the GRE, that can be a bear.

/signed

And nice job with the story too, Tolero.

Although the eyes rolled in the back of the head bit was unclear, I think anyone with an imagination understood what he was getting at relating!

(Those "rendered" graphically-challenged, I offer reading classes and explanations on how words join together formulate concrete objects and imagery through the use of your brain's cognitive ability... also known as comprehension and common sense...)

Brimy
10-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Very nice story I enjoyed it immensely.
Well done

Brimy :)

RazRaven
10-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Great story, i really liked it. Sounds promising if it is a hint to an event

Grizzt14
10-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Great Story!

The question is: Will there be an ingame halloween event??

Mad_Bombardier
10-29-2007, 10:00 AM
Great Story!

The question is: Will there be an ingame halloween event??/points to screenshots in the post above yours. :)

Ciaran
10-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Looks like it was a blast! Hope I didn't miss it...will it still be going on tonight?

Missing_Minds
10-29-2007, 11:38 AM
What is fun is when the GM running the event picks on you and teleports you into the middle of a swarm, not once but twice. :)

Grizzt14
10-29-2007, 01:45 PM
/points to screenshots in the post above yours. :)

lol...., looks pretty sweet :D

Gum
11-06-2007, 05:05 PM
lol..very nice