PDA

View Full Version : Name Change Issue.

Cupcake
10-25-2007, 10:17 AM
Because someone reported my lvl 12 paladin's name, Inigomontoy, her named was changed to Renameni. I had no option of picking a new name. She has hence been deleted and rerolled.

First off, I'd like to know if who ever reported me, Also reported Inigo Montoya.

Secondly, I put in a name change request for my lvl 11 sorcerer, Miraclemax. I filled out the form, paid my 9.95 and requested a name change. THe form did not give me the option of choosing a new name.

Last night when I logged in her name is now Miraclema-x. What assurance do I have that if someone STILL reports this name, after I PAID for a name change, that my Sorc's name wont be changed to Renamewhatever?

I paid the fee to avoid this. What should I do now?

Yvonne_Blacksword
10-25-2007, 11:20 AM
The thing I never understood is why those types of names are reported...

Is it jealousy?

They aren't offensive or demeaning...They aren't drug references...

They may be characters who's names belong to the motion picture industry...

But the only thing I can think of is they (the people reporting them) named their character...something like
oh i dont know

Female characters named Sausage Wallet, Summer's Eve, HealerB*****,

Characters named Smokey MCPotts, Dope Man(spelled backwards), ....

And since their names offended someone to the point of finally reporting them...
They feel the need to search for any way to reoprt others thay can...

Is that it...?

Expecting to get reported for my highly offensive characters any moment.

(I do have a WF barbarian named....Vindcell XXX...so I guess I deserve it.)

OOOH wait...Your name has a -x after it...

/changename didnt work?

Cupcake
10-25-2007, 11:52 AM
The thing I never understood is why those types of names are reported...

Is it jealousy?

They aren't offensive or demeaning...They aren't drug references...

They may be characters who's names belong to the motion picture industry...

But the only thing I can think of is they (the people reporting them) named their character...something like
oh i dont know

Female characters named Sausage Wallet, Summer's Eve, HealerB*****,

Characters named Smokey MCPotts, Dope Man(spelled backwards), ....

And since their names offended someone to the point of finally reporting them...
They feel the need to search for any way to reoprt others thay can...

Is that it...?

Expecting to get reported for my highly offensive characters any moment.

(I do have a WF barbarian named....Vindcell XXX...so I guess I deserve it.)

OOOH wait...Your name has a -x after it...

/changename didnt work?

Ah, so Max may have been given a token, where Inigo was just changed wthout asking me what name I wanted.

Thanks, Yvonne, I will check that out when I get home.

Rowanheal
10-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Oh good lords... the name police are out again?

Remind me to mention this on the podcast this week...

Just gets under my skin is all... BAH!!!

If it offends someone then yes... and if I am not offended and you explain to me how it is offensive then ok...

But there are those that find joy in finding names and having them changed... I think they stare at the who list...

Sigh...

Cuppy I am sorry hunny.

And yes try /changename when ya get home and let us know!

See ya in Stormreach,

-R

Cupcake
10-25-2007, 01:59 PM
Oh good lords... the name police are out again?

Remind me to mention this on the podcast this week...

Just gets under my skin is all... BAH!!!

If it offends someone then yes... and if I am not offended and you explain to me how it is offensive then ok...

But there are those that find joy in finding names and having them changed... I think they stare at the who list...

Sigh...

Cuppy I am sorry hunny.

And yes try /changename when ya get home and let us know!

See ya in Stormreach,

-R

Thanks, Rowan
I mean, they arent the same ya know? Inigo was Inigo. Pastry is NOT Inigo.

Max, once I rename her, her personality will be lost. Sighs.
And I got Fezzick to worry about also.

Impaqt
10-25-2007, 02:11 PM
Copyrighted/Trademarked names dont need someone to report you. Have you ever filed a Help Request? A Dev Noticed your name most likely then.

Turbine/DDO seem to have very little tolerance for names taken from Movies/Novels even is spelled differently.....

Aspenor
10-25-2007, 02:21 PM
While I am deeply saddened you had to lose your character names Cup, I have to somewhat agree with Impaqt. Turbine explicitly states that fictional/nonfictional character names, or variations of, from copyrighted/trademarked material cannot be chosen as our avatar names. I'm not saying that it matters to me, or that I agree with it, but all I'm saying is that they made the rule and we all have to follow it.

2p1k3
10-25-2007, 03:11 PM
You know how many novels there are in the history of man kind? If they are going to track down every name every written and then go after anyone having a 'similar' name then I think it is a good thing they have a small player base... there are not that many names left over.

Impaqt
10-25-2007, 03:17 PM
You know how many novels there are in the history of man kind? If they are going to track down every name every written and then go after anyone having a 'similar' name then I think it is a good thing they have a small player base... there are not that many names left over.

:rolleyes:

There are litereally Billions of Name combinations out there that have absolutely no copyright issues whatsoever.

I doubt that Turbine is going to search for obscure names.... But when ya throw a name into the game that is from a Highly Recognized movie or book, its gonna get caught..... The Princess Bride is probobly one of the top 10 fantasy movies ever made..... It was only a matter of time before someone caught it.

Mockduck
10-26-2007, 09:58 PM
i thought cupcake's name was fine. there's so many names in the game, it seems all right to me to just sort of have fun with a few. but it all depends on the name. i guess i just sort of think of it on a case by case basis.