PDA

View Full Version : WF or DORF barb?

Flint_Redbeard
10-16-2007, 11:27 PM
just curious which one is better overall, and if anyone can suggest feats & a 28 point build as i have not gotten 1750 yet :*( And if you say WF, thats cool ive been wanting to try one for some time i just never had a slot open.

Thanx I'm eager for replies, I'm still searching for that class that makes me happy when i play.

Flint_Redbeard
10-17-2007, 12:34 PM
I dont have 32 point builds open yet, but all that would do is give me 2 more con if i used these stats i thought a 28 point barb would use.

If dwarf
str 18
dex 14
con 16
int 8
wis 8
cha 6

if Warforged
str 18
dex 14
con 16
int 8
wis 6
cha 6

Here's my plan i dont want to disable traps or heal or none of those other class things or splash levels i want a pure barb, & I just want to KILL. The problem i have no idea how to play a barb mainly which of the 2 races is better suited for the task of death dealer, or what feats id choose. I like the prospect of using a great axe or something 2 handed, but im open to suggestions.

Oh and having lots of health is a plus i want a monster. I want to be able to take all kinds of dmg while killing everything in sight, all the while the clerics cursing my health lol XD thanx

Beherit_Baphomar
10-17-2007, 01:20 PM
There is a huuuuuuuj thread on this on the Barb forums....and what it boiled down to was personal preference....good points for WF, bad points for WF, good points for dorf, bad points for dorf....all up to you what you want.

Lemme see if I can find that thread for ya.

Beherit_Baphomar
10-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Looks like the class forums only work up to a certain point, so NO THREAD FOR YOU!

ChildrenofBodom
10-17-2007, 04:18 PM
If you want a 28 point build Warforged isn't for you. They are 26 point. I have never made a Warforged before. I don't really plan to. That is just my opinion though.

Hvymetal
10-19-2007, 12:53 AM
If you want a 28 point build Warforged isn't for you. They are 26 point. I have never made a Warforged before. I don't really plan to. That is just my opinion though.Pardon me here but if I remember correctly WF and dwarves both have exactly the same starting stats......

Borror0
10-19-2007, 02:02 AM
Pardon me here but if I remember correctly WF and dwarves both have exactly the same starting stats......

Dwarf: +2 Con, -2 Cha

WF: +2 Con, -2 Wis, -2 Cha

Hence 26 points.

But, WF got other benefits to compensate. Anyway as a barbarian, you couldn't care less about Charisma and Wisdom.

Flint_Redbeard
10-19-2007, 08:49 AM
It's been like 2 days so i went and made a human one to play around with see how i like it. Think ill go THF with this one if i like it when i unlock 32 points ill make a twf dorf meatgrinder as some call them.

these are stats and feats i choose

human barb
str 18
dex 10
con 16
int 8
wis 8
cha 8
wf: slashing, toughness
probably not the best feats to choose thankfully we have siberys shards now so huzzah.

Strumpoo
10-19-2007, 03:16 PM
If you want a 28 point build Warforged isn't for you. They are 26 point. I have never made a Warforged before. I don't really plan to. That is just my opinion though.

I have a 28 point WF'd Barb and he does just fine, in fact lately the AI enemies just run away from him....

Who needs Cha or Wis as a barb anyway?

I would go WF'd and never look back if I was you. Then laugh as the fleshings scream about level drains, poison, disease and what not. :p

There are positives for dwarfs too, but who wants to be a squat, stinky, little dwarf when you can be a living construct killing machine. Towering above your enemies instead of staring at their kneecaps??:D

Edit: I see you made a fleshling... BOOO! Well, humans can be good too, the extra feat is nice. And they can have the highest STR in game for Barbs atm.

Casta
10-19-2007, 09:45 PM
Most barbs take alot of damage, and on my cleric I don't think i would ever heal a wf barb, Other then that there about even. And I would go with less dex more wisdom, you will have a low ac whatever you dex is but you can get a decent will save.

Hvymetal
10-20-2007, 07:08 AM
Dwarf: +2 Con, -2 Cha

WF: +2 Con, -2 Wis, -2 Cha

Hence 26 points.

But, WF got other benefits to compensate. Anyway as a barbarian, you couldn't care less about Charisma and Wisdom.
Aye forgot the wis but a -1 will save isn't really that huge a factor.

Strumpoo
11-06-2007, 04:19 PM
Most barbs take alot of damage, and on my cleric I don't think i would ever heal a wf barb, Other then that there about even. And I would go with less dex more wisdom, you will have a low ac whatever you dex is but you can get a decent will save.

And I as a WF'd barb probably wouldn't bother to get the aggro off of you when you are screaming for help. We are just stupid hunks of metal and wood anyway :p

A Level 14 Cleric should have no problem keeping a WF'd up and running, Heal spells do just fine thanks. ;) Usually us Warforged are prepared for the lack of healing love and supply scrolls and what not anyway.

As far as AC goes, in bursts Barbs can have a very respectable AC. Remember that they get Uncanny Dodge. That is a +6 to ac for 30secs. My WF'd can easily hit over 50 AC in bursts with a friendly pally around. Not that shabby...:) Not super tank worthy but not that bad.

I would advise you to not worry about will saves. Indomitable Will and certain items will take care of that problem for you. I put absolutely no points into wisdom at creation and I have no problem with will saves while raging (which I am at all times during quests now).

LongLive
11-06-2007, 05:04 PM
I dont have 32 point builds open yet, but all that would do is give me 2 more con if i used these stats i thought a 28 point barb would use.

If dwarf
str 18
dex 14
con 16
int 8
wis 8
cha 6

if Warforged
str 18
dex 14
con 16
int 8
wis 6
cha 6

Here's my plan i dont want to disable traps or heal or none of those other class things or splash levels i want a pure barb, & I just want to KILL. The problem i have no idea how to play a barb mainly which of the 2 races is better suited for the task of death dealer, or what feats id choose. I like the prospect of using a great axe or something 2 handed, but im open to suggestions.

Oh and having lots of health is a plus i want a monster. I want to be able to take all kinds of dmg while killing everything in sight, all the while the clerics cursing my health lol XD thanx

think u would rather go with a 11 +1 tome + madstone boots = 16 enough for mith FP
17+1 tome + 6 item + lvl 4/8 lvling points = 26 str Doing it this way will be able to max your con at creation and possibaly have points less over to pump into wisdom to help your will save...

As for the WF/Dwarf iv noticed that Dwarfs seems to have much higher hit points , but WF can not be held/neg lvl/dieaised/fatuiged after raging ect... Matter of choice and the HP thing is just form ppl iv talked to not sure if it applys to all builds.

nbhs275
11-06-2007, 05:44 PM
just curious which one is better overall, and if anyone can suggest feats & a 28 point build as i have not gotten 1750 yet :*( And if you say WF, thats cool ive been wanting to try one for some time i just never had a slot open.

Thanx I'm eager for replies, I'm still searching for that class that makes me happy when i play.

human

Dwarf only if you wanna blow 6 action points on 2 damage

Warforged only if fatigue is really going to matter much

Go human.

at 14 6 rages, for 3.30 each is more then enough to get from shrine to shrine, and the only difference those extra hitpoints will make is 1-2 hits extra before you need some pots. Anything past a 400 unraged HP, is just a huge waste. My human barb has 450 fully raged, and he can solo fleshmakers to the lightning room on a stack of 30ish potions. Just go for massive DPS and damage mitigation(greater resists items, djinn rings, blur items, and a decent AC(i can hit something like 50 by myself if boost).

If you dont have a 32 point build my advice is to get one, because if you havent full developed your current main and experienced the entirity of the game with him, then bringing up a lowbie should be a very distant concern. Get a 32 point before you really start expanding your family, or you will find yourself rerolling them all when you get it.

nbhs275
11-06-2007, 05:46 PM
think u would rather go with a 11 +1 tome + madstone boots = 16 enough for mith FP
17+1 tome + 6 item + lvl 4/8 lvling points = 26 str Doing it this way will be able to max your con at creation and possibaly have points less over to pump into wisdom to help your will save...

As for the WF/Dwarf iv noticed that Dwarfs seems to have much higher hit points , but WF can not be held/neg lvl/dieaised/fatuiged after raging ect... Matter of choice and the HP thing is just form ppl iv talked to not sure if it applys to all builds.

Max strength, your a barbarian to kill ****, and everything else should be secondary.

Twerpp
11-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Warforged are the most stylish. Simply put they look way more baddass than a dwarf. And dont even get me started on that sissy human run.

And to that cleric well..a well built cleric is healing me upwards of 250 on base heals, Ive got healers friend 1 not even neccessary in this case, toss a couple buffs and some good heals now and then and see what the damage machine does for you in return, let me tell you its a lot more than a turtled up sword and board paladin is going to do even though they heal easier and you can cream over your numbers.

Aesop
11-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Are you going for pure optimization?

I'd say Dwarf. Drop the Dex by 2 raise the Con by 1. Take Toughness grab a bunch of hp with Barb and Dwarf Toughness. Put all your Level up points into strength. Invest in Lesser Restore, Remove Fear, Disease and Curse Potions (maybe some Haste Potions if you don't have a Caster with ya often). Slashing Spec, Dwarf +2 to Hit and Damage, Improved Crit ... yada yada yada

Aesop

Although Warforged are cooler by a factor of 10