PDA

View Full Version : Blunt Arrows

SWardCo
10-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Is there a reason why we can't have blunt arrows. Blunt arrows would allow us to bypass the skeleton damage and would realistically break bones. Maybe they can be sold as an option or only in certain shops but I would love to get hold of some +5 Blunt Acid Arrows! Watch out undead!

Cinwulf
10-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Do transmuting bows bypass skeletons DR?

Mad_Bombardier
10-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Do transmuting bows bypass skeletons DR?Yes. Turbine's answer to different arrow head types was Transmuting bows. :)

LeLoric
10-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Yes but it takes away any other prefix option blunt arrows would still be preferred by me at least

Cinwulf
10-16-2007, 04:53 PM
Use a transmuting bow and a magical type of arrow: element, alignment, greater bane ...

DSL
10-16-2007, 04:54 PM
From a realism point of view, blunt arrows tend not to be that effective. They have been used historically for hunting birds, but not much otherwise. The main problem of course is in terms of armor penetration, but their accuracy would almost certainly suffer, and in any case, with a blunted tip, what tends to happen is that the arrow would shatter, leaving the target more or less intact. I've seen this many times with the typical, rounded-metal tips used in archery practice when the arrow hits something more solid than the styrofoam/fiberboard target.

All this said, some sort of special blunt-damage arrow drop would not be a horrible idea (as magic can explain away a lot of physics).

On the up side, we do now finally have throwing hammers, though we still have no slings.

Mystarin
10-17-2007, 03:41 AM
then i couldnt use my backpacks full of lumps of coal i've saved up...:)

Mad_Bombardier
10-17-2007, 08:53 AM
then i couldnt use my backpacks full of lumps of coal i've saved up...:)Oh, oh.. and throwing hammers. We got throwing hammers, too. :D

Talon_Moonshadow
10-17-2007, 11:08 AM
Lumps of coal were great. :) In their time anyway.
Now we have throwing hammers and transmuting bows. Transmuting also works on those ghostly skellies in Delera's.

Cherry
10-17-2007, 12:13 PM
I like the idea of blunt arrows as an option. Golems, Stupid Razor Cats and Skeletons beware.

HumanJHawkins
10-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Is there a reason why we can't have blunt arrows. Blunt arrows would allow us to bypass the skeleton damage and would realistically break bones.

That wouldn't be realistic... The reason skellies have DR against piercing is because something like 70% of arrows fired at a skeliton will go right through the middle without actually hitting something. The DR is symbolic for these misses that happen even when you roll a successful hit. Blunt or not isn't going to change that.

That said, you might say that arrows of undead bane achieve their additional damage because they are blunt, or employ some other type of shape/weight advantage.

I wouldn't be against this, as it would be one more interesting factor to consider when playing, but I am not sure it is as realistic as you state.