PDA

View Full Version : Officially fed up with mail spam

DZX
10-14-2007, 10:39 PM
As most people I have been getting more any more mail spam each day as time goes on. When logging in earlier this afternoon I had to delete 4 plat selling messages, something I am use to, I usually get around 4 in a 2-3 day period. I played for a few hours and went out for the night. Now I get back and in less than 4 hours I have 7, yes 7 new spam messages in my mailbox.

This is just ridiculous now. Change the mail system, add new features. Because it seems for every account we report another dozen pop up (I am not wasting my time reporting these anymore). I am sick to death of having to clear my mail everyday because of this.

Can you please give us some optional filters for the mail system? The option to choose who we want to receive mail from?

[ ] Accept Mail From Guild Members
[ ] Accept Mail From Friends List
[ ] Accept Mail from All Players

Then you just toggle on which ones you want to accept the mail from. From my side it seems a simple solution, maybe it would take some time to code properly, but it would be a great way to cut down on the spam.

Obviously GM/Dev Mail, Auction Mail would never be filtered.

Another thing that would be nice is checkboxes [x] on the side of each mail message we get. That way we could delete mail in bulk rather than the tedious and annoying individual deletion process.

And finally how about a few tabs on the mail window to sort the mail, this could be another nice feature and perhaps the ability to save 10 messages.

[Auction] [Friends] [Admin/GM] [Saved]

Though in the end if you give us the filter options I would be more than satisfied with the system.

~Fiara

Snike
10-14-2007, 11:22 PM
Limit the amount of mail Lvl 5 and below can SEND. These people would have to spend a few hours for every account they loose.

underlordone
10-14-2007, 11:45 PM
mass spam them back fill there box so they cant send out. even on tells they send spam them back maybe they'll lag out or even better get the pitcher.

DZX
10-14-2007, 11:59 PM
mass spam them back fill there box so they cant send out. even on tells they send spam them back maybe they'll lag out or even better get the pitcher.

Yeah, because I really want to waste MORE of my game time spamming them back, because doing this is really going to deter them... Yeah and I think I just saw a real dragon fly by my window.

Okita
10-15-2007, 12:19 AM
/signed as far as being sick and friggen tired of the spam.

Litz
10-15-2007, 12:30 AM
Officially fed up with mail spam

Glad you made it "official" we wouldn't want to break any rules or be unclear..Did I ever mention some people claim I'm certifiable?

Qzipoun
10-15-2007, 12:46 AM
Mail spam has gone crazy this weekend. What scares me is I logged on a character I have not played in at LEAST a month and his box was FILLED with spam mail. So much for trying to find the items I sent him...

jaitee
10-15-2007, 03:11 AM
its really gotten bad lately, i log on a toon for a few hours (3ish hours), and i get around 5 spam mails, its getting really bad...and im tired of it also

clay2
10-15-2007, 07:38 AM
It does make one wonder if there is not some kind of agreement between turbine and these spammers... Perhaps some cash is making its way under the table?

One would think that many of the afformentioned suggestions (not the first time suggested, as I have seen many of them before, could have been implemented since the mailbox was added to the game.

As someone mentioned... a simple effective idea was to limit the number of mails one can send and scale it up as people level. That will easily reduce the number of throw-away spammer accounts... if each time they actually had to reach lvl 6 or 7 before they could spam...

Crabo
10-15-2007, 09:17 AM
I am very close to believing that the only way to stop this mail spam , is to cancel my account.
When i think about all the raids i have done recently with no loot and the friends that have left the game for this reason and various other nerfs, i am hoping those plat farmers send me MORE spam to make the decision easier.

Mad_Bombardier
10-15-2007, 09:49 AM
Limit the amount of mail Lvl 5 and below can SEND. These people would have to spend a few hours for every account they loose.Level dependent screws paying players with lowbies. Turn off outgoing mail (grey out the Compost button) for Trial accounts.

Mad_Bombardier
10-15-2007, 09:54 AM
A change may be around the corner. New system in testing on LotRO (DDO-ongoing beta server :p)
From LotRO:

New /tell Filter Now Available!

Oct 04, 2007 16:04 EST
Players will find a new option in their Options panel which allows them to only receive /tells from players on their Friends list or in their Kinship. This option is turned OFF by default. If you would like your /tells filtered, please check this option to enable it.

Trial and Referral accounts will always be subject to this filtering, even if a player has their /tell filtering turned off. If you or a friend are a Trial or Referral account and you'd like to be able to use /tell in-game, you should contact each other via email, IM, or the forums and arrange to add each other to your Friends lists.
We believe this filtering will drastically reduce the amount of /tell spam our players are receiving. Thanks for your patience while we worked on the problem; more anti-spam code will be introduced in Book 11, and our Customer Service team continues to diligently follow up on your reports and banning spammers from the game!

Cordelia
10-15-2007, 10:15 AM
All this reminds me of an experience we had last night at the end of a SR raid. We had just shown a fellow guildy 3d and the SR which he had not yet experienced. At the end, he quickly had to log and go to bed. We had forgotten to tell him to collect his reward to restart his timer.

I suggested to the remains of the group, that should they see him tomorrow, to remind him to do so. One of our brightest suggested he just send him an in-game mail... What a novel idea! Some people (including myself) have forgotten entirely that the mail-system is also intended to communicate, not just act as a means to exchange items. For me at least, this is due to the fact that I unconsciously just delete anything in my mailbox that does not have an item attached, because I assume it is just spam.

Frankly, I dont mind all the spam lately, because, like it or not, it is an indicator of a healthy MMO. For awhile, several months back, there was alot less spam shooting around, and it got to the point where I almost missed it. Now that it;s back, I take solace in the fact that DDO has rejuvenated itself somewhat, and that nothing speak more toward this truth that the entrepreneurial spirit of individuals trying to make a buck in the middle of it all.

We hate you plat farmer! But we're glad to know you feel as though DDO is a place where you're pathetic industry might flourish!

Cord

Litz
10-15-2007, 10:16 AM
A change may be around the corner. New system in testing on LotRO (DDO-ongoing beta server :p)

That idea is backwards... Why restrict the playability of players, when they can restict the access of plat farmers to mail out messages? Its been brought up many times before. Restrict the # of mails a trial account can generate. Also if you report a char as sending in-game PM spam, the DM's need a way to track which account had that character name, even after they deleted the char 2 min after the spam spasam. Then the DM's can delete the entire account. You cant relly on a /restrict list because they have an infinate amount of sdkjfhair or ytcbliuoywe names they can create..

Mad_Bombardier
10-15-2007, 11:03 AM
That idea is backwards... Why restrict the playability of players, when they can restict the access of plat farmers to mail out messages? Its been brought up many times before. Restrict the # of mails a trial account can generate. Also if you report a char as sending in-game PM spam, the DM's need a way to track which account had that character name, even after they deleted the char 2 min after the spam spasam. Then the DM's can delete the entire account. You cant relly on a /restrict list because they have an infinate amount of sdkjfhair or ytcbliuoywe names they can create..Just reporting the info, don't kill the messenger. :) And no, if implemented in DDO, I will never use the /tell filter. I also think it's a bit backwards. They won't limit outgoing mail from Trials, but they will shut off a vital method of communication? How am I supposed to communicate to a random newbie who has a question? This means I'd have to drop group and invite to party, just to answer a question. :(

JosephKell
10-15-2007, 11:50 AM
What if instead of filtering out tells entirely, if there was an option to make it so that unapproved characters can only send tells that are X characters long or shorter.

Then give people options for controlling who gets put where.

It takes approximately 20-40 minutes once you reach the harbor to get a character to level 2. If I could set it so that level 2-14 characters were unrestricted, but level 1 characters could only send me 20 character tells, that would work great for me.

If someone were to message me, I could then approve them and maybe have the entire message be revealed and all future messages be full length.

Spammers are a fact of life. I just don't want their bull**** to advance my chat window such that I miss something from my party.

One thing that would really help the mailbox (for me) is if I could do a "select all" option then toggle out the messages I like and delete all the others at once. The "highlight, delete, yes" sequence bugs me.

Varis
10-15-2007, 11:53 AM
lol a spam filter on DDO mail... this is great LOL.
How long until we get the loan offers and schlong enlargements?

I'm sure they are working hard but I'm getting less spam on my yahoo account heh.

tihocan
10-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Limitations on trial accounts ftw! I'm sick too.

Lorien_the_First_One
10-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Don't limit trial accounts. I sent and received lots of mail during my trial period and that's part of what kept me in the game. I had a couple people who did a bit of initial mentoring of me and helped me through the tough spots. Without email that wouldn't have happened and I would have left.

Truely I don't see what the big deal is anyway. When I visit my mules after two weeks there are half a dozen emails. On a bad day for a regular char I might get 1. How long does it take you to hit delete? Don't you get more junk mail than that in your real life email, even after the filter?

MrWizard
10-15-2007, 12:47 PM
filter sent mail via the server..does it include trade4junk.com and other sites with that are in usual spam tells or mail?

These accounts that send the tells/mails should immediately lose privledges for both until a moderator can look at the tells/mails.

It should be obvious that these will be trail or new accounts...exstablished accounts should be flagged only upon a complaint.

this should immediately stop all mails and tells as spammers have to advertise the site..if the mail/tell is stopped enroute because it has the website...then that works for me...

And obviously they need to update the filter as the people will keep trying new ways around it...by immediate shutting down of their abilities, it will make them go away (at least for us)..

please do so.

Riggs
10-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Trial accounts should not be able to send mail until at least level 3. Maybe paid accounts until level 2, although getting to level 2 is a really easy.

Yvonne_Blacksword
10-15-2007, 01:08 PM
I could have sworn "Q" said something about email limitations on trial accounts that day he visited Sarlona...(:rolleyes: )(You are just jealous!)
That they have already implemented them....
There is a new company out there, though.

I have only received ~=1 spam mail/day/alt and only one spam tell in the last 3 days...

You guys are still being troubled?
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Report them!
:mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :p

sylvester
10-15-2007, 01:35 PM
if players stopped buying plat the spam will go away in a week or 2. if they are not making money they will go away.

Nott
10-15-2007, 01:40 PM
I am very close to believing that the only way to stop this mail spam , is to cancel my account.
When i think about all the raids i have done recently with no loot and the friends that have left the game for this reason and various other nerfs, i am hoping those plat farmers send me MORE spam to make the decision easier.I'm thinking cancelation of my account is the only way I have to tell Turbine "this is important.... fix it NOW". The problem is I know if I cancel, I won't be back, and for the moment at least, I'd prefer to suffer the spam rather than cancel.

I'm hoping, however, that Turbine will recognize that whatever the solution, a solution to this is overdue and needs to be prioritized. It's just too easy to fix through any one of many ways suggested.... I expect it's even easier to fix than the SC bug!

My suggestion for how to fix this with the least impact.... on trial accounts, restrict mail like this:
* trial accounts can only send mail to other trial accounts without retrictions (since without this, the next step can get difficult)
* trial accounts can only send mail to a non-trial account if that non-trial account has first sent a mail to the trial. So, noone could create a trial account to send me mail without first having me send them an email.
Feel free to replace "trial account" with "character on a trial account" if that makes the programming easier.

This won't eliminate spam, but it will eliminate the safety spammers have though emailling from trial accounts. There is still the matter of tells to deal with, but handling emails would be a good first step.

Nott
10-15-2007, 01:46 PM
if players stopped buying plat the spam will go away in a week or 2. if they are not making money they will go away.This is quite true, however unless you have a way to force players to stop it's less of a solution than it is of a hope, and it's not likely to happen without something else changing.

TEK
10-15-2007, 04:00 PM
[ ] Accept Mail From Guild Members
[ ] Accept Mail From Friends List
[ ] Accept Mail from All Players

Then you just toggle on which ones you want to accept the mail from. From my side it seems a simple solution, maybe it would take some time to code properly, but it would be a great way to cut down on the spam.

Obviously GM/Dev Mail, Auction Mail would never be filtered.

Another thing that would be nice is checkboxes [x] on the side of each mail message we get. That way we could delete mail in bulk rather than the tedious and annoying individual deletion process.

And finally how about a few tabs on the mail window to sort the mail, this could be another nice feature and perhaps the ability to save 10 messages.

[Auction] [Friends] [Admin/GM] [Saved]

~Fiara

i like these ideas

Snike
10-15-2007, 04:17 PM
Level dependent screws paying players with lowbies. Turn off outgoing mail (grey out the Compost button) for Trial accounts.

As I mentioned in another thread limiting the number of mails a lowbie can SEND does not screw them. It doesn't take long to level up a mule to 5. Just as you'd rather say delete the spam and deal with it. Level up your mule and deal with it.

DZX
10-15-2007, 04:17 PM
I have only received ~=1 spam mail/day/alt and only one spam tell in the last 3 days...

You guys are still being troubled?
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Report them!
:mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :p

Yeah, I still get serious mail spam constantly and as I reported in the topic starting post I got 7 in less than 4 hours recently...

I did report them, but as of last night I am done wasting my time doing that.

I'm not sure how much I like the idea of the blocking tells, though I am sure clerics will love it lol. Seems to cut more legitimate communication down imo.

But filtering options that allow you block mail from anyone but those on your friends list or in your guild just seems like a great solution. How often overall do you send mail to people you don't know? I am betting never to very rarely for the majority of DDOers out there. If you need to be able to send someone mail for a trade or something its very simple to add them to your friends list for those purposes.

In_Like_Flynn
10-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Good ideas.

[Hey, you stole my color!]

Mad_Bombardier
10-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Just as you'd rather say delete the spam and deal with it. Level up your mule and deal with it.Actually, I'm not one of the ones that says that. And no thanks on leveling a mule. I play DDO to play the game with real characters; not walking inventory space. But, if we had server-wide Vault slots (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=123971), I wouldn't need to use a character as a mule. ;)

Cireeric
10-16-2007, 10:31 AM
Follow the example of WoW and not allow trial members to have access to the mail system.

DZX
10-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Follow the example of WoW and not allow trial members to have access to the mail system.

I would rather see a limitation on how much mail a level 1 character could send in an hr. Perhaps 5 messages, it would still allow you mail items here and there that you need. In the case of sending lots of items it is probably best to just have a friend or guildie transfer them over to save a bit of cash.

chuckpittman
10-16-2007, 07:57 PM
Maybe the devs could just limit the number of folks that you could send mail to at once to like 1 or 2?:confused:

Mad_Bombardier
10-17-2007, 08:52 AM
Maybe the devs could just limit the number of folks that you could send mail to at once to like 1 or 2?:confused:It's already limited to 1 recipient for ingame mail. The spammers copy/paste for an hour to 2 hrs to send to all on their mailing list. I have found a spammer after receiving spam mail and watched him for over an hour before he left or was booted from the game.

GreatCzarsGhost
10-17-2007, 04:29 PM
The solution is not to create a spam filter but get rid of the fraken plat farmers accounts altogether. The games economy needs to be allowed to function without the inflation caused by unlimited (most likely duped) plats and high end equipment. The spam is an annoyance, the spammer as a plat farmer is detrimental to the game.

Newtons_Apple
10-18-2007, 12:48 AM
Yeah, because I really want to waste MORE of my game time spamming them back, because doing this is really going to deter them... Yeah and I think I just saw a real dragon fly by my window.

I agree with you that fighting these guys with fire is technically a waste of time. But think on this- me and a guildie were running through the harbor one day and we saw one of those names- you know the ones that can only be a farmer: (plsgsdfkld for ex.)

I was on my pally, and he was on his bard. We started mass buff spamming him like gangbusters- bless was followed by good hope was followed by magic circle against evil, then haste, wash rinse repeat- he logged.

Rawr and muhwahahahaha.....

Yes, it was a waste of time, but still fun. It's the little things in life one needs to appreciate. :)

adamkatt
10-18-2007, 03:13 AM
Actually, I'm not one of the ones that says that. And no thanks on leveling a mule. I play DDO to play the game with real characters; not walking inventory space. But, if we had server-wide Vault slots (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=123971), I wouldn't need to use a character as a mule. ;)

Id rather have a house, but ill take your suggestion as a backup plam!

DZX
10-25-2007, 02:52 PM
Just wanted to say thank you to the dev team for officially acknowledging (See this thread here (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?&postid=1405082#post1405082)) and considering this option as an additional plat selling and spam killing measure. I really think as an optional toggle it will help alot!

The next problem will be tell spam increases of course (if this suggested feature is indeed implemented), but those report easier and faster.