PDA

View Full Version : Which class is better for PvP

Alizan
10-12-2007, 12:07 AM
Sorcerer or Wizard?

Blind_Skwerl
10-12-2007, 05:17 AM
I would guess sorcerer, only because of the faster casting. Other than that, I can't see them being much different for PvP.

Geonis
10-12-2007, 12:45 PM
People actually PvP? :D

sigtrent
10-12-2007, 12:54 PM

Heh, actualy I like PvP from time to time. Its good fun so long as you don't take it seriously and folks arn't in there just trying to grief others.

Sorcerer is probably the king of PVP, not much you can do about it.

My Wizard is my favorite PVP character because I can switch up spells to do different strategies. Any knob can throw Max/Empower rays at people but its fun to pull out some of the lesser used spells and see if you can make them work for you in some way.

Clerics are nice as well, especialy if you give them quicken to make up for slow casting times on some of their spells.

wiglin
10-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Feeblemind is alot of fun as a pvp'ing sorcerer. Killing melee is easy its those pesky casters you have to worry about.

LastNameRage
10-14-2007, 05:29 PM
A properly specc'd cleric is more or less unbeatable, a well built ranger would probably be the second best bet (As long as many shot is active).

As for your question, both are effective in pvp...I'd say a Sorc has the edge with faster casting and all. Ultimately it comes done to experience and skill, you could have the best build pvp toon around and still lose often to a better player.

jmonty
10-28-2007, 01:03 PM
... a well built ranger would probably be the second best bet (As long as many shot is active).

just gotta get those race slaying or greater bane arrows eh? :D

Soul-Shaker
11-13-2007, 12:30 PM
If its just between wizard and sorc I would say a Sorc would win if theyre pure class. This is because both classes would probably just win with 1 FTS eachother and sorc has the advantage of casting faster. But if you count splashing 2 levels of pala at least in, then a Sorc would have a greater advantage in pvp.

If we are going beyond just sorc and wizard. Then a cleric is best caster wise. But a dps ranged ranger using spell absorb scarabs FE on proper races, anarch of grtr bane bow + 5 ele arrows can probably be most builds(since most splash pala) worst enemy. Especially after they fix shooting on moving target next mod and they can get 4th favorite enemy for +2 more dmg

14bab+12dex+2elf bow enh+2FE+4ghero+5weapon+4grtrbane+1WF bow+1PBS+1haste= +46 tohit
9(1.5x6str)+4grtr bane+5weapon+10FE+2elf bow enh+7anarch+3.5ele dmg+10.5bane+1PBS = +42 dmg per arrow

Not many can block this much dps or withstand a few shots off many shot if not blocking. When faced with high ac players can be a problem, but just run around and get a destruction off.

just gotta get those race slaying or greater bane arrows eh?

deathblock/dw stops this and should be a must in pvp.

~Jules921
11-23-2007, 04:59 AM
What about level 1 with no tweaking? Masterwork items only. Is sorc still the king of pvp?

Jules

adrinor
11-23-2007, 01:06 PM
What about level 1 with no tweaking? Masterwork items only. Is sorc still the king of pvp?

Jules

Depends on the player

Kalanth
11-24-2007, 02:31 PM

I have tons of fun in the PvP arena's (not the tavern brawls). Tend to only go in there with guild members though.

But in effect, the speed of casting is a nice bonus, but I say Wizard because you can adapt to the other players and change up things to keep them guessing. Once a person figures out what your Sorc is doing they can quickly change to overcome that and make the Sorc much less effective.

Strakeln
11-24-2007, 11:24 PM
I would say it's either sorc12/pally2 or cleric12/pally2. I suggest we ask Rhada, he seems to be the ultimate PvP champ.

actaeon
11-25-2007, 03:36 AM
Bah i challenge any of you fools to a PvP match on my invincible cleric :P

but any experienced Pvper knows that a wizard is by far the better class for PvP

Rhadamathys
11-25-2007, 04:24 PM
There are actually several great builds for pvp...but beyond the build it's the skill and spell selection that makes a player as well.

Keys to a great build: high saves, pvp spells, ability to self heal, lots of HP, and pvp feats...

Ask anyone on Khyber, my 12/2 cleric/paly and 12/2 sorc/paly are the best 1 on 1 toons.

Some suggestions I have...never take a melee or ranger unless you want to be third class...take a sorc or a cleric depending on your style. Make sure you have quicken, max, empower, enlarge...if you dont have those 4 feats, then you aren't a pvp toon. Practice, practice, practice...nothing is more important than learning how to cast without getting hit and how to make sure your rays hit them even when they are jumping.

People have asked, which would win, my Dabi build (sorc/paly) or Rhada build (cleric/paly) 1 on 1 and honestly, I don't know. I'd give the edge to the dabi build as it would ultimately come down to strategy and tactics and frankly clerics are limited in speed, jumping, and therefore dodging...

edit: as for the idea that rangers with multi shot are good in pvp...last 2 times I fought rangers I was a combined 31-3...dieing mainly as I needed to get more sp...

Also, my cleric has lost to a 600 HP barbarian before, with the right gear a barbarian can close the distance fast and do what needs to be done to beat a cleric (trip). It's hard to burn through all those HP before they get to you and even if you do, you'll be low on sp the next time they come...my sorc has never lost to any class out there.

actaeon
11-26-2007, 01:17 AM
The PvP guru eh? :P I would like to test this title...I am from Ghallanda, originally from Lhazaar the notorious PvP server and would like to test out what some of these other servers think is quality PvP. I am going to transfer my cleric over to a new server (which I believe I have constructed as the ultimate PvP toon), which one I am still deciding on. So I guess my choice will be based on PvP population, quality, and ultimately who will talk enough trash to get me to want to pay to come and fight them ;P. So I ask some of you to post here on what server I should come check out.

Rhadamathys
11-27-2007, 01:19 AM
I'd say come to khyber but you'd get bored quickly, there are only about 10 good PvPers on the server...I'd be interested to know what the new pvp server is and transfer 1 of my toons there...when the servers merged, I think I made about 40 mill in gold pvping ppl...everyone thinks they have the best toon til they fight me...but like you said, we're kinda stuck with only having our toons on 1 server at a time...

legonares
11-29-2007, 03:57 PM
Bah i challenge any of you fools to a PvP match on my invincible cleric :P

but any experienced Pvper knows that a wizard is by far the better class for PvP

you want a pvper go with a high DPS barbarian with full speed bonus
(+30 striders, Warp time, barb sprint boost, and the barb base speed)
man they will tear any cleric,wizard,sorc, or ranger

Sybel
11-29-2007, 04:01 PM

ha. good one.

legonares
11-29-2007, 04:03 PM
I personally believe that caster battle are pointless unless it's 2 great casters no flesh to stone, insta death spells just fireballs Scorching rays you know though spells seeing who is the bigger powerhouse.

going onto my first point that I believe that caster battles are point is well... they are what do they say? you got the spell off first?
which really isnt a competion

adrinor
12-02-2007, 03:14 PM

Warp time doesn't work in the PvP arena

Asirin
12-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Depends on the player

/signed

Oran_Lathor
12-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Caster battles certainly aren't pointless. At least no more so than any PvP battle. If you think that a caster fight comes down to who gets Fts off first, you've never played vs. a good caster. On my wizard, unless I am fighting someone I know to be a very good pvper, I never ever attack first - just to give them a fighting chance. Still, I usually win. Caster battles come down, like others do, to builds, gear, player skill, and luck. If you bring some run-of-the-mill caster with mediocre gear, a mediocre build, and slow twitch reflexes against a good pvp caster, you lose everytime just about regardless. IE: good caster fails his fts save on a 4 or so, mediocre dude fails on a 19, and so on.

edit: actually, I take that back. If someone annoys me I may fry them on sight :)

legonares
12-05-2007, 07:59 PM
put it on before you go in the arena

legonares
12-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Caster battles certainly aren't pointless. At least no more so than any PvP battle. If you think that a caster fight comes down to who gets Fts off first, you've never played vs. a good caster. On my wizard, unless I am fighting someone I know to be a very good pvper, I never ever attack first - just to give them a fighting chance. Still, I usually win. Caster battles come down, like others do, to builds, gear, player skill, and luck. If you bring some run-of-the-mill caster with mediocre gear, a mediocre build, and slow twitch reflexes against a good pvp caster, you lose everytime just about regardless. IE: good caster fails his fts save on a 4 or so, mediocre dude fails on a 19, and so on.

edit: actually, I take that back. If someone annoys me I may fry them on sight :)
Not that it matters to me anymore I dont pvp, but I think they are pointless because if you are maxed, empowered, hieghtened, quickened and all the other stuff your gonna destroy the other guy in 1 hit..