PDA

View Full Version : Lifetime Subscription?

thermobarix
10-11-2007, 07:53 AM
I'd like to have the option of a Lifetime Subscription made available to current players of DDO. I ponied up for one in LOTRO, which makes me feel a lot better if content ever slows down or I burn out...then I can simply take a break for a while and not feel like I am wasting money. I can maintain accounts on a number of MMOs this way, allowing me to always keep an interest in the games.

I think a combination of Lifetime Subscription and pay-for-premium-services is a neat way for Turbine to both keep their subscriber base and keep their revenue coming in.

Anyway, just an idea I hope they consider.

lestat81
10-11-2007, 07:56 AM
/signed

jjflanigan
10-11-2007, 08:03 AM
I would love for them to offer that as well.

Rekker
10-11-2007, 08:59 AM
I was so ticked when that came out on LotRO. Made no sense why a company would offer it on one MMO and not the other. Especially since they share so much between the 2 games as it is. I would also like credit for what I already paid applied to it.

I can dream can't I :)

steelblade
10-11-2007, 09:01 AM
(S)

....(my sig)

Nefahrin
10-11-2007, 09:18 AM
Yeah, How do I get a lifetime subscription??

Rowanheal
10-11-2007, 09:25 AM
I would like one as well

/signed

See you in Stormreach,

-R

Pfamily
10-11-2007, 09:26 AM
OK, I'll bite...who's lifetime?

/signed
none the less a good idea.

MysticTheurge
10-11-2007, 09:27 AM
I'd buy one. Or at least ask for one for christmas or something.

MysticTheurge
10-11-2007, 09:27 AM
OK, I'll bite...who's lifetime?

The game's.

Solstyse
10-11-2007, 09:32 AM
/signed

I don't see how this is good business wise, unless they plan on releasing a new expansion every 6 months. But either or I would buy one.

Shaamis
10-11-2007, 09:41 AM
Don't be fooled ladies and gentleman.

Turbine offered the lifetime membership for:

1) quick influx of revenue
2) to lock in disgruntled WoW players
3) capitalize on LotR fame, and the LotRO Introduction campaign.

Since they don't need a huge influx of cash, no MMOs that DDO is competing directly with, and no decent D&D game to piggyback on, there will not be any offers for lifetime memberships.

Turbine would much rather get our monthly $12-$15.

thermobarix
10-11-2007, 09:47 AM
I bet they'd much rather have us signing up for lifetime subs as opposed to signing off for good.

Just a guess.

Zenako
10-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Lifetime sub sounds good, but lets put some prices on it....

Right now month effective rates are from ~$12 to $15 if you pay by the month. (Not sure what the full year rate is, never looked at it. I figured either my interest or the games viable life would fade in less than a year interval so betting on the year timeframes was not my choice at the time.)

For a year that ranges from $144 to $180.

If we were to guess how much new life exists in the game, lets say for this purpose 5 years is the window before DDO2 is released.

how much of a discount would you be able to give to someone, who might otherwise keep up their financial support anyway. Working with the $180 a year guy. If you were to offer them pricing that reflects something like 3 years of life, say $500, how many people would actually pony up that much. I know I would not. Now I might spend $500 total if I keep playing and paying for this game over the next 3+ years, but in that case the game has had to keep proving to be interesting and enjoyable to play over that extended timeframe. So for me a 3 year block lump sum would be too much to consider. Well how low do you go? We can already sign up for 6 month and 1 year subs IIRC. If you have confidence in your product, why sell it at a deep discount.

Many of the people who might leave anyway, are probably some of the same people who would not sign up for a "lifetime" sub if the costs were in any way reflective of the business model. So you lose them both ways. The people who would sign up are largely the same ones who will stick with you on a month by month basis for years anyway, so no loss there either, unless you let them buy in at a deep discount, which will lower your net earnings.

We are a little over a year and half into the life of DDO. It is very easy to map out another 18 months of growth (levels and new classes/races) making it a 3 year path to a level 20 cap game. D&D has epic levels and there is nothing that prevents DDO from also going EPIC within the same game.

Characters once reaching level 20 could choose to Advance to Epic (and probably not look back) and enter a new realm of being on a Par with the Black Abbot and other End bosses for example. Characters with EPIC skills and abilities do not mix well with normal characters from what I have seen in D&D settings.

Then you could see new cities or locales being brought into the fold to expand the normal level range of activity. There are literally years of potential out there, BUT, it needs to be done well.

Lifetime subs, everyone wants one at a steep discount, but few will really sign up if the pricing reflects the business plan and model that hopes to be realized.

Raithe
10-11-2007, 10:33 AM
If you were to offer them pricing that reflects something like 3 years of life, say $500, how many people would actually pony up that much. I know I would not.

You've identified why they won't do a lifetime sub for DDO at this point. They would have to either charge a price that no one is going to pay without strong confidence in what the developers have for future plans, or they would have to reveal their low expectations for the product by giving it a low lifetime sub price.

The time for this idea is long past.

Kerr
10-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Yeah, How do I get a lifetime subscription??

Why would you want a lifetime subscription for something that is very likely not going to be around a few years from now? Unless Turbine works on getting new blood, it's not going to be around long enough to make such a thing worthwhile to pay.

AND FOR GODS SAKE SHORTEN YOUR DAMN SIGNATURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Riddikulus
10-11-2007, 10:57 AM
I think LOTRO's lifetime sub was $200 for founders and $250 later on.

If DDO offered a $200 lifetime it would be pretty enticing, after all that is just a bit over 13 months at the monthly rate. I still see this game having at least a couple good years left.

etelan
10-11-2007, 11:20 AM
/sign

Vorn
10-11-2007, 11:38 AM
I would as well. I'm quite jealous of the folks at LOTRO who get that option.

Klattuu
10-11-2007, 12:06 PM
I would like a lifetime subscription option as well.

ErgonomicCat
10-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Only one DOOOOOOM post so far!

I'd like one.

I'd like to say I'd get it.

But I can't even get a 3 or 6 month sub.

Still, it would be a nice option.

MrCow
10-11-2007, 12:43 PM
If the option was there, I would get a lifetime subscription.

Mad_Bombardier
10-11-2007, 12:48 PM
If the option was there, I would get a lifetime subscription.Except that I've already spent money for 1 year of subscription. So, if the Lifetime was more than 1 more year, I probably wouldn't buy it. It's not that I'm only going to be here 1 more year, but getting more of my money up front should be worth something.

Zenako
10-11-2007, 12:50 PM
For all those saying they would pony up for a lifetime subscription. Would you do it for $200. Probably, most of us can see at least another year of this game and the bet is bit more than that.

How about $350 for a sub? That is going on two years of normal rates and to come out ahead you need to figure the game is gonna keep your interest (and still be going) for more than two years?

What about $500. My bet is very few if anyone would bet on more than 3 years of keeping you hooked as it stands.

Lifetime subs make sense to hook a critical mass or to get initial operating capital. My dad still recalls how he passed up a Lifetime sub on a certain Mens magazine back in the 50's. He thought it would never last. That offer was a limited time one, and soon thereafter was never needed again.

Mizyrlou
10-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Well, figuring in that should Epic levels come, that would probably be more suited for a DDO2 (just thinking how different the spectrum is with levels and abilities, and if we can transfer our characters from here to there, then I'd be interested in that), that still leaves quite a bit still up for DDO and at the rate I play, I would be greatly interested in a Lifetime sub.

Even with the current options available for characters, that leaves much to still try out with different races/builds/classes and I do greatly enjoy the game to keep on playing until the servers power down for the last time.

Ron
10-11-2007, 12:58 PM
I would certainly get one.

Beherit_Baphomar
10-11-2007, 12:59 PM

Since they don't need a huge influx of cash, no MMOs that DDO is competing directly with, and no decent D&D game to piggyback on, there will not be any offers for lifetime memberships.

/signed

Mad_Bombardier
10-11-2007, 01:00 PM
For all those saying they would pony up for a lifetime subscription. Would you do it for $200. Probably, most of us can see at least another year of this game and the bet is bit more than that.

How about $350 for a sub? That is going on two years of normal rates and to come out ahead you need to figure the game is gonna keep your interest (and still be going) for more than two years?

What about $500. My bet is very few if anyone would bet on more than 3 years of keeping you hooked as it stands.

Lifetime subs make sense to hook a critical mass or to get initial operating capital. My dad still recalls how he passed up a Lifetime sub on a certain Mens magazine back in the 50's. He thought it would never last. That offer was a limited time one, and soon thereafter was never needed again.Man, Turbine would have no recurring income if they had offered lifetime to all the beta/pre-release Founders for $200. :eek: As you said, that was a marketing scheme to generate interest in LotRO as a WoW competitor.

At this point in the game, after paying for 1 year in the game, I'd pay $150-200 for an upgrade to Lifetime. But, I wouldn't shell out $250 in addition to everything I've paid.

Alavatar
10-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Well, figuring in that should Epic levels come, that would probably be more suited for a DDO2 (just thinking how different the spectrum is with levels and abilities, and if we can transfer our characters from here to there, then I'd be interested in that), that still leaves quite a bit still up for DDO and at the rate I play, I would be greatly interested in a Lifetime sub.

Even with the current options available for characters, that leaves much to still try out with different races/builds/classes and I do greatly enjoy the game to keep on playing until the servers power down for the last time.

I think DDO2 (if it ever happens) will be under 4th edition rules. I haven't heard of an MMO that allows character transfers between sequels ...

I would definately support a $200-$250 lifetime membership. More then that would be too cost inefficient for the playerbase, IMO.

Drider
10-11-2007, 01:44 PM
I think DDO2 (if it ever happens) will be under 4th edition rules. I haven't heard of an MMO that allows character transfers between sequels ...

I would definately support a $200-$250 lifetime membership. More then that would be too cost inefficient for the playerbase, IMO.

The couple of games that have this have been 200 or lower.

And I'd definitely take them up on the offer.

ErgonomicCat
10-11-2007, 02:13 PM

Sometimes you get stuff unlocked in the sequel based on your chars in the original, though.... I wanna say AC2 did that?

tekn0mage
10-11-2007, 03:23 PM

Guild wars 2 does.

MysticTheurge
10-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Guild wars 2 does.

Guild Wars 2 will not allow you to transfer characters from Guild Wars.

Raithe
10-11-2007, 07:31 PM
I see a lot of people saying they would pay $200 or slightly more for a lifetime subscription of DDO. I would love to be around the forums for the wailing banshee of posts that would appear when the lifers hit the content brick wall...

on second thought, maybe I wouldnt.

Alavatar
10-11-2007, 08:17 PM
I see a lot of people saying they would pay $200 or slightly more for a lifetime subscription of DDO. I would love to be around the forums for the wailing banshee of posts that would appear when the lifers hit the content brick wall...

on second thought, maybe I wouldnt.

At the "content brick wall" I would take a break. I wouldn't pay anymore so why would I care? I could leave and come back whenever I felt like it without fear of "wasting money" by not playing those last few days of my subscription or having to pay more when I came back. I could have several MMO subscriptions that way as well.

Win/Win situation to me.

Raithe
10-11-2007, 10:00 PM
At the "content brick wall" I would take a break. I wouldn't pay anymore so why would I care?

A very genteel reply. I suspect you would not be part of the wailing banshee.

From my experience, however, many people get downright crotchety when they don't think they are getting their money's worth. Let's not forget that there is virtually nothing to spend your time at if you have completed every quest a certain number of times.

Those crotchety people seem to get worse when they actually want to be playing something, as well.

Thame
10-12-2007, 07:19 AM

Your right there. Guys, this games going nowhere, and 3/4 of the population will be gone in before the next update, why buy the subscription?

Fritzel
12-18-2007, 10:03 PM
I'd get one as well, I'm already a Lifetime Lotro player, as well as Hellgate london. The main reason I want it is because I get bored easily and don't always have money on hand when I get bored, I'd pay 200-300$ for a lifetime on DDO, under the assumption that it'd be around for 3+ years

GreatCzarsGhost
12-19-2007, 10:24 AM

DDO competes with Guild Wars which is basically DDO with different graphics, no subscription fee, and a bazillion more players. Guild Wars is huge and free to play although you do have to drop $20 for an expansion pack every once in a while.

Later this year DDO will get more competition from Wizards Of The Coast when they release D&D 4.0 which will include a online based virtual table top version of traditional D&D. If you don't think this has a chance of pulling players from DDO just ask some of your guild mates and group members if they have ever played Pen and Paper D&D. There is a large part of us players to whom DDO is the only MMO they have ever played and are playing because they can't find D&D games where they live. D&D 4.0 virtual table top could pull a lot of these players away from DDO.

Add to this the fact that DDO has by far the largest group of players who activate accounts when a new mod with a level increase comes out and plays for a month or two only to close their accounts for months after reaching the level cap. In between these increases in server populations servers can start to feel empty even after the merge. This has got to frustrate Turbine to no end.

I think if Turbine can get $300+ from players for lifetime subscriptions for a game that has been slowly bleeding off players since it came out and could very well not even be open in a few years they should do it.

MysticTheurge
12-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Later this year DDO will get more competition from Wizards Of The Coast when they release D&D 4.0 which will include a online based virtual table top version of traditional D&D. If you don't think this has a chance of pulling players from DDO just ask some of your guild mates and group members if they have ever played Pen and Paper D&D. There is a large part of us players to whom DDO is the only MMO they have ever played and are playing because they can't find D&D games where they live. D&D 4.0 virtual table top could pull a lot of these players away from DDO.

I don't get this. People act like this is some revolution in online gaming, but the fact of the matter is you can currently play regular old D&D over the internet. If you have the friends to do it and someone will DM.

Wizards' product isn't going to magically create a online tabletop community that will rival DDO.

GrayOldDruid
12-19-2007, 12:43 PM
I don't get this. People act like this is some revolution in online gaming, but the fact of the matter is you can currently play regular old D&D over the internet. If you have the friends to do it and someone will DM.

Wizards' product isn't going to magically create a online tabletop community that will rival DDO.

Okay... How?

IRC ?

.... and If I could scrape up the fundage, I'd buy a lifetime sub...

I am not going anywhere until I cap at least one Druid and at least one 1/2 Elf pure Ranger.

MysticTheurge
12-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Okay... How?

OpenRPG (http://www.openrpg.com/) is the free tool I use.

Fantasy Grounds (http://www.fantasygrounds.com/) is another that I know some people like, but it costs money.