PDA

View Full Version : Bag of Holding

tharveysinjin
10-09-2007, 12:01 PM
I've seen a number of posters suggest that we have containers of various sorts, i.e. quivers, ring bags, potion bags etc. It seems to me that now that we have the capability of adding various bags to the normal backpack slots, how difficult would it be to have a bag of holding? (Of course, woe to the guy who places a portable hole into a bag of holding)

Bags of holding might just eliminate the need to make containers of many different types, because they could be used for whatever the PC wants.

M1A1
10-09-2007, 12:13 PM
I've seen a number of posters suggest that we have containers of various sorts, i.e. quivers, ring bags, potion bags etc. It seems to me that now that we have the capability of adding various bags to the normal backpack slots, how difficult would it be to have a bag of holding? (Of course, woe to the guy who places a portable hole into a bag of holding)

Bags of holding might just eliminate the need to make containers of many different types, because they could be used for whatever the PC wants.

4th backpack slot you get is a "Bag of Holding"...the 5th is a "Portable Hole"...the only problem is...they are just backpack spaces and not what they are named for....

JosephKell
10-09-2007, 12:18 PM
We have bags of holding. If you paid attention to the NPCs, both the Coin Lord and the harbor guy talk about bags of holding.

This is also why our carry limit is so ridiculously high compared to our strength. The developers are multiplying the regular limit.

To give you a frame of reference, Str 10 should have a Light load of 33, a Medium of 66, and a Heavy of 100 pounds. In DDO, a Str of 10 has a light load of 495 pounds.

Edit:
Additionally, once you can buy House D Sturdy Arrows/Bolts, you are practically set. With a 75% return chance, you have to shoot a lot of arrows to run out.

I fail to see how having to carry stacks of Arrows in DDO is much different than having to carry bags of different weapons.

I would much rather see Turbine impliment a "set this item to primary to this bag" option. I would like to be able to keep my weapons in my 3rd bag slot and keep my first one as clear as possible.

tharveysinjin
10-09-2007, 03:26 PM
We have bags of holding. If you paid attention to the NPCs, both the Coin Lord and the harbor guy talk about bags of holding.

I think you missed the intention of my post:

Make a container that is capable of holding any type of item, not just gems or collectibles, and allow said bag to be placed in your backpack. Call it a Large Bag of Holding, or, if that doesn't tickle your fancy, call it a "Trunk-o-Junk" or a "Sack-in-the-Box" or an "Amazing What's-It, from RonCo"

I do agree that it would be nice to be able to reserve inventory slots for various types of equipment so that you would n't have to fumble around in your pack.

Mercules
10-09-2007, 03:47 PM
I think you missed the intention of my post:

Make a container that is capable of holding any type of item, not just gems or collectibles, and allow said bag to be placed in your backpack. Call it a Large Bag of Holding, or, if that doesn't tickle your fancy, call it a "Trunk-o-Junk" or a "Sack-in-the-Box" or an "Amazing What's-It, from RonCo"

I do agree that it would be nice to be able to reserve inventory slots for various types of equipment so that you would n't have to fumble around in your pack.

I think you are missing the point of having multiple tabs. I believe gems and collectibles received bags simply because they are NOT worth taking up a slot due to the numerous different types and stacking issues. 1 Heal scroll is more valuable than 100 of one gem and you usually end up with multiple gem drops of less than 15 at a time. Thus, they gave you a way to consolidate numerous different gems/collectibles into one slot. You don't need a way to consolidate 5 suits of magical full plate into one slot. :p

MysticTheurge
10-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Make a container that is capable of holding any type of item, not just gems or collectibles

You have one of those. It's your backpack.

Mad_Bombardier
10-10-2007, 09:12 AM
You have five of those. It's your backpack.Correction. :D

Pfamily
10-10-2007, 09:36 AM
With the additions of the gem and collectible bags, as well as the bags for tapestries and tomes in the Orchard, I think the devs are responding as they can to these requests. I'm not a programmer, but I can't help but think that it's considerably easier to add something to a current development project than it is to retrofit it to already completed material.

I am sympathetic with the concept the OP brings to this post...but I wonder outloud if a capacity to carry WAY too much stuff would only add to the "these quests are too easy" arguments we see from time to time and eliminate the part of the game which requires forethought and planning. For me, part of the fun of the game is the application of a bit of strategy and preparation to aid in the completion of a given task. Determining what to bring (spells, scrolls, arrows, wearables, etc.) is a part of that process. If I was able to carry absolutely everything I needed for every quest at all times, well, I guess I'd think that to be a bit of a dodge.

My nickel has expired.

tharveysinjin
10-10-2007, 10:35 AM
You have one of those. It's your backpack.

Well, I think I'm looking for a single bag, in which to store potions, another bag to store ammunition, another bag to store armor/weapons etc. This way, I can ensure that my posessions all stay in the same place and I also don't run out of room as quickly.

MysticTheurge
10-10-2007, 10:40 AM
I also don't run out of room as quickly.

Yes, but that's part of the point. You are supposed to have some limits on how much stuff you can carry.

I can see a wand, scroll, ammunition or potion bag, maybe. I think a weapons/armor bag is going a step too far.

I mean really, you'd end up having the 100 slots in your backpack just filled with other bags.

And then you'll want a Bag bag.

When does it end?

Kerr
10-10-2007, 10:44 AM
How about one of those Extradimensional Chests that a Wizard can make? I forget what it's called. You enhant a chest which then goes into some pocket dimension that you can recall any time you like. Allow the wizard to fill it up with whatever they want and then send it back. :D

MysticTheurge
10-10-2007, 10:46 AM
How about one of those Extradimensional Chests that a Wizard can make? I forget what it's called. You enhant a chest which then goes into some pocket dimension that you can recall any time you like. Allow the wizard to fill it up with whatever they want and then send it back. :D

Now that I was actually going to suggest.

Magehound
A mule that's what I want.

That way I can carry everything!:D

Pfamily
<snip> This way, I can ensure that my possessions all stay in the same place <snip>

Corrected spelling for "possessions"...habit, sorry.

YES, YES, YES!!!!

It would be REALLY nice if items equipped/re-equipped back to the same place in the backpack every time!

Mad_Bombardier
10-10-2007, 10:50 AM
And then you'll want a Bag bag.

When does it end?I believe when you put a portable hole inside a bag of holding. :p Isn't that what makes time and space collapse to a singularity?

liamfrancais
10-10-2007, 10:51 AM
I have the same problem from time to time then I realize it is time to sell some of this stuff. Really I carry around way to many things weapons armor and what not for every situation and then when the situation arises forget I have it stored somewhere and never use it to begin with so my advice is sell some shinies and move on.

liamfrancais
10-10-2007, 10:55 AM
Did you all see on the LOTRO website where they are selling housing? Hmmm how long has that game been out? When was guild housing discussed for DDO? Might be a nice place to store your things.

Prinstoni
10-10-2007, 11:12 AM

This is also why our carry limit is so ridiculously high compared to our strength. The developers are multiplying the regular limit.

To give you a frame of reference, Str 10 should have a Light load of 33, a Medium of 66, and a Heavy of 100 pounds. In DDO, a Str of 10 has a light load of 495 pounds.

Edit:
Additionally, once you can buy House D Sturdy Arrows/Bolts, you are practically set. With a 75% return chance, you have to shoot a lot of arrows to run out.

I fail to see how having to carry stacks of Arrows in DDO is much different than having to carry bags of different weapons.

I would much rather see Turbine impliment a "set this item to primary to this bag" option. I would like to be able to keep my weapons in my 3rd bag slot and keep my first one as clear as possible.

Obviously you do not have a ranger.

Prinstefano carries 1.5 bags of bows, .5 bag of weapons, 1 bag of items, 1.5 bags of arrows (Cold Iron, Adamantine, Shards fo Light, House D Returning Arrows, Slaying Arrows, Elemental Arrows, Bane arrows), 1 bag of spell components/potions/misc. Leaving .5 bags to pick up loot and gems.

Prinsdrowi and Prinshealer have 1 bag of weapons/potency items, .5 bag of spell components, 1 bag of items, 1.5 bags of wands/scrolls, and .5 bags of potions/misc. Leaving .5 bags for loot.

Prinselvis carries 1.5 bags of weapons (ranged and melee), 1 bag of items, 2 bags of wands/scrolls, .5 bags of spell components/potions/misc, .5 bags of bolts and arrows. Leaving .5 bag for loot.

Prinstoni has 1.5 bags of weapons, 1 bag of potions/misc, 1 bag of items which leaves 2.5 bags for loot.

Need I say more?

We need a spell component bag, quiver bag, and wand/scroll bag.

Also, the additoon of 4 new bags to hold new content collectables takes up more space than it frees up, and the crappy small gem bag and collectable bag can't hold anything. I just destroyed the small gem and collectables bag to save space.

Olaff
10-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Edit:

Not really. Multishot seems to reduce the return rate significantly, so anytime that's being activated you'll chew through your arrows faster than normal. Unfortunately I have no hard data, but I've watched my stacks decrease more quickly when Multishot is active than when not more than once. Also, many, if not most, bow users carry around stacks of slaying and greater bane arrows in addition to the House D Sturdies - those take up quite a bit of room themselves.

It's not much different. The problem is archers tend to have to carry both, while meleers don't. Hence, a quiver would be quite nice.

Ironik
10-10-2007, 12:53 PM
/signed to more bags for items like spell components, arrows and scrolls/wands.

/signed to items returning to specific bags. For god's sake, do this!

Anyway, all of the mechanics are implemented already for any/all of these items. Also, all of these can be found in PnP. What's the problem? :)