PDA

View Full Version : Another strange word banned from Bios

Glenalth
10-06-2007, 11:24 AM
I found another funny word the filters hit.

"Inferno"

Tried it on it's own and as part of...

"Inferno of the Damned"

Keeps showing up as random characters.

"!@#$%^ of the Damned"

Also tried...

"ferno"
"Infern"

Which both work fine.

Seems to be the actual word and not a piece of it.

Boulderun
10-06-2007, 12:17 PM
What did you have preceeding Inferno?

It's likely just a bug though. Last night I got a new cone of cold high, so I copied it into my bio. "(Combat): Your Cone of Cold hit Portal Keeper for 1,708 damage." When I saved it, Keeper was changed to (#%*&^!. I changed it back to Keeper, and it was not censored again. :rolleyes:

ChaosTheEternal
10-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Nope. Inferno by itself will be censored, and retyping it in and updating will not censor it again in that bio text area, but it is still censored in your bio (if you target and examine yourself or close and reopen the bio, it's censored).

These new random filters are just making the bio more and more useless.

MrWizard
10-06-2007, 12:55 PM
try the word galaxy -----lol

AxeM
10-06-2007, 04:11 PM
masterful
GM
G-M

but not
G M

Dylos_Moon
10-06-2007, 04:42 PM
how about the word Follower, even though that is the same word used in the "Follower of the Sovereign Host" "Follower of the Silver Flame" and "Follower of the Lord of Blades" enhancement lines. Seriously I cannot put "Follower of Vol" in my clerics bio, I had to put "Cleric of Vol".

Ganak
10-06-2007, 04:46 PM
The word "master" is now banned...

GuitarHero
10-06-2007, 04:52 PM
ever watch that movie "Equilibrium" with Christian Bale? hehehehe.

and it begins...

Citymorg
10-06-2007, 06:20 PM
On a similar note, I tried to Inferno of the Damned into an LFM, no dice, wouldn't let me post it

Knightrose
10-06-2007, 06:41 PM
American censorship is lame overall. I wouldn't completely blame Turbine.

Yvonne_Blacksword
10-06-2007, 07:36 PM
fern is a dirty word....to plants...

it is full of speciesism...

(\@#\$% = inferno...lol

maybe it is a secret code word...

Lithic
10-06-2007, 09:47 PM
eaten by cube

If you have to look it up, it's not worth censoring. If you look hard enough, SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE, SOMEWHEN is/was/will be offended by every single word in the english dictionary.

Personally I'd slap an M rating on the game, dump the filter let life go on :D

MysticTheurge
10-06-2007, 10:34 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=inferno

Well I can make up offensive definitions for random words too.

Symar-FangofLloth
10-06-2007, 10:38 PM
Well I can make up offensive definitions for random words too.

QFT. That's all that site is, anyway.

Kaldaka
10-06-2007, 10:38 PM
I tried typing in the word windows in my bio, simply as a song lyric quote and that word is apparently banned too. What the hell is "windows" in the urban dictionary????

ChaosTheEternal
10-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Well I can make up offensive definitions for random words too.And I can find a bunch of words that aren't censored that have "offensive definitions", and they've had them well before the existence of that site...

I don't consider that a credible source either.

I stand by my previous statement: Random pointless filtering. Or a really crappy regular expression, but I doubt that.

Jolani
10-07-2007, 02:10 AM
It's amazing what the filter allows, while it bans words that are not offensive to 99% of the comunity. I take much more offence at the word toon than at something like masterful.

skraus1
10-07-2007, 02:35 AM
That is just messed up. How can anyone believe we have slang for events that don't ever happen? "inferno" is a nuaghty word? Good thing turbine taught us something!

Mad_Bombardier
10-07-2007, 08:45 AM
Well I can make up offensive definitions for random words too.MT, you're my hero! :D

Urbandictionary is like Balderdash, but with no game board or points. :p

Spookydodger
10-07-2007, 03:19 PM
The whole word filter really is a foot in the mouth of Turbine. They would be better off using the tried and true "let people put whatever they want and then rely on other users to report them" than having a technological (and ineffective) means of control put in place.

Knightrose
10-08-2007, 04:06 AM
Dude, if I wanted to I could go Bill Clinton on their *** and say the word 'is' happens to be offensive. Because it only specifically dictates a present situation. I'm offended by that. Censor it?

Censors in DDO

B

L

O

W

Ironhand
10-08-2007, 07:47 AM
I would suspect that any impetus towards censorship comes more from Hasbro than Turbine itself.

Missing_Minds
10-08-2007, 08:24 AM
we can add the following words to this list as well.

Rat

undead

both are bad words... oooooooooo... *sighs*

Mad_Bombardier
10-08-2007, 08:27 AM
Not Bio, but new censor in LFMs. I can no longer use the word "Hard." You know as in, quest difficulty. :rolleyes:

MysticTheurge
10-08-2007, 09:56 AM
Not Bio, but new censor in LFMs. I can no longer use the word "Hard." You know as in, quest difficulty. :rolleyes:

Well that at least makes sense. Hard is a dirty, dirty word.

Mad_Bombardier
10-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Well that at least makes sense. Hard is a dirty, dirty word.And yet, I continually loot "small hard rods" from chests. :eek: I keep asking if anyone in party wants my "small hard rods", but all I hear is silence. :rolleyes: :D

heatherivxx
10-08-2007, 10:07 AM
And yet, I continually loot "small hard rods" from chests. :eek: I keep asking if anyone in party wants my "small hard rods", but all I hear is silence. :rolleyes: :D

That is too funny :)

DZX
10-08-2007, 10:19 AM
I think most people would agree the the DDO word filter is to restictive. You can't put the word jewelry because of a certain three letter word :rolleyes:

Don't expect a fix on it anytime soon either, its been asked for pretty much since launch.

sirgog
10-08-2007, 11:13 AM
One I recently noticed being banned was the word W*I*S*T*F*U*L. Took me ages to understand why - appears that there's a series of four letters in it that stand for "Shut That Friend Up" or a nastier version thereof.

Gave me a good laugh when I worked it out.

Edit: The forums ban that word too! Wi****l LOL

Furgulder
10-08-2007, 04:30 PM
ever watch that movie "Equilibrium" with Christian Bale? hehehehe.

and it begins...

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

Such a great movie.