PDA

View Full Version : Names, names, names...

nibel
10-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Just a single suggestion (Make a DC 17 Will save): Why the game don't check avaliability of a name when you type it the first time and wait until you finish the character creation to check it?

I mean, think like someone want to make a Belkar Bitterleaf from The Order of the Stick. He type the name, build a ranger halfling in the way he think Belkar is, take all that time on the appearence screen to make him real... and after all the hard work he is informed that "Belkar" is already being used.

Other thing that happens sometimes is you deleting a toon to reroll it, and when you did it, someone take out your name. Checking and reserving the name when you type it may reduce this a lot.

Just my 2 cp.

nibel
10-12-2007, 11:26 PM
[Up]

I cant deserve even a "no"? :D

Lorien_the_First_One
10-13-2007, 07:16 AM
[Up]

no

fefnir3284
10-13-2007, 08:31 AM
*dont feed the trolls, cause even regeneration can heal starvation damage*

I say "YES" to this idea. But maybe we are the only ones that actually create a character to play, instead of a min/max munchkin.

I mean a characters name is as much a part of what he is his class, race, skills, etc. Eilajas just doesnt sound good on anything but a drow/elven arcane caster.

Good idea, why? Cause it just makes sense...

Riddikulus
10-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Yeah I know it's lame, but for the most part you can just put together a junk character to verify if the name is there then delete it and make the character you really want.

It's not like the name is likely to disappear over the next few minutes.

Spectralist
10-13-2007, 09:21 AM

Well i'll say no! I don't care about my name and want to figure my build and choose my name last, i often pick names i already have taken just so i can get to the build part and worry about picking an unused name later.

Not that i'm particularly adamant about it, barely care really, but if i had to choose between how it is now and your suggestion, and choose how it is now.

Snike
10-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Only problem I could see is it was an easy way to check a name right before creating it. Could be that in the time it takes you from typing in the name to finalizing the build the name could have been used. I don't know about you, but I can take a very long time on the character creator. Maybe moving the name requirement to the end of the character creation would be best solution.

MysticTheurge
10-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Only problem I could see is it was an easy way to check a name right before creating it. Could be that in the time it takes you from typing in the name to finalizing the build the name could have been used.

The system could reserve your name for X minutes after checking it. Or something.

nibel
10-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Yeah I know it's lame, but for the most part you can just put together a junk character to verify if the name is there then delete it and make the character you really want.

It's not like the name is likely to disappear over the next few minutes.

Happens. Two times with me already. One with a reroll (taken my name when i was creating the toon) and other in the time i had to logout and roll the toon.

Only problem I could see is it was an easy way to check a name right before creating it. Could be that in the time it takes you from typing in the name to finalizing the build the name could have been used. I don't know about you, but I can take a very long time on the character creator. Maybe moving the name requirement to the end of the character creation would be best solution.

Actually, is like you choose your name after finish the creation. Almost all the "good" names are taken, and you ever try to be original (to find another good name) or just be dumb (like a Cleric called "Ihealyou"). And almost all the time, you need to retype a name because someone already take your original or dumb name.

Damn, i have a WF Fighter called "Guerreiro" (Fighter class in portuguese version) because i tryed 7 names and all are taken.