PDA

View Full Version : DDO Multithreaded?

thatguy
10-05-2007, 10:59 AM
I just built a PC that sports a quad core processor and was curious to know if DDO is a multithreaded application. I am trying to find out if it is to maximize performance.

Thanks.

rfachini
10-05-2007, 01:44 PM
I do know it works with my dual core pentium D. At first it was buggy and I needed to disable multi but that was fixed in a very early patch. I do notice that now (was fixed but broke again) I can't play the game intro and class movies without them being jittery and choppy.

Spectralist
10-05-2007, 09:49 PM
It seems to use both cores of my processor. Although it never seems to exceed 20% processor use anyway.

Snike
10-05-2007, 11:23 PM
99% of the aplications out there do not multi-thread. Remember that dual cores are still fairly new. I still think it will be a year or 2 until the standard CPU on the market is duel or higher and pushes the program market to multi-threading thier applications.

My CPU useage never goes over 50% with DDO unless I'm running other stuff in the background on my Opteron.

tekn0mage
10-06-2007, 01:37 AM
I have a Quad Core box with 4 gigs of RAM (x64 Vista) and no, DDO is not multi-threaded.

However, two DDO clients running in Windowed mode runs quite smoothly.

Ghoste
10-06-2007, 02:49 AM
99% of the aplications out there do not multi-thread. Remember that dual cores are still fairly new. I still think it will be a year or 2 until the standard CPU on the market is duel or higher and pushes the program market to multi-threading thier applications.

My CPU useage never goes over 50% with DDO unless I'm running other stuff in the background on my Opteron.
True, although games do always tend to be the first ones to take advantage of new performance goodies like that.

Snike
10-06-2007, 05:59 AM
That might be true but not a game that came out almost 2 years ago =x

TechNoFear
10-06-2007, 11:49 PM
DDO is multithreaded. But..the answer to your question is (IMO) no.

I doubt DDO (or any other game) has been written to utilise mutli-core CPUs (in more than a passing fashion).

Better to ask if your OS is making use of the cores.

Long answer;

You are asking if DDO has been written to mostly use multiple concurrent threads (threads doing the same task, not different tasks, at the same time).

Most (or good) apps have a thread that runs the GUI and a 'main' app thread. This is so they respond to user input while also 'working'.

You want to know about DDO having more than one 'main' thread.

Threads are dangerous. Programing threads is hard. Debugging threads is a nightmare.

In any application complex enough to require intensive use of multiple concurrent threads, is way to complex to actually program (design, write, test, maintain, update) for intensive use of multiple concurrent threads.
Debugging it would cost a fortune in both time and developer sanity (both rare commodities, easily spent).

So it will be a few years before most apps fully utilise mutli core CPUs.