PDA

View Full Version : REMINDER: Turbine Knowledgebase Contest Starts!

Quarion
10-04-2007, 01:47 PM
What’s a Knowledge base without a name? Turbine fans, we are asking you to name our new and improved Knowledge Base! The top five winners will win 30 days of free game time on the game of their choice! The first place winner will receive a signed piece of concept art from the game of their choice! Get your creative juices flowing and submit a name for the Turbine Knowledge Base! To enter the “Name the Knowledge Base Contest”, send your entry to KBContest@turbine.com with the subject line " Name the Knowledge Base Contest”. Limit 3 (Three) entries per person.

See below for the Contest Rules and Terms and Conditions:

RULES:

Submissions must be original and created and/or owned exclusively by the player submitting the entry. Entries that include any of the following will not be considered:

Proper names and places or close facsimiles thereof, from the story characters or non-player characters (NPCs) introduced in the fiction of The Lord of the Rings Online™: Shadows of Angmar™, Dungeons & Dragons Online™ and Asheron’s Call®.
Fantasy or non-fantasy names from popular culture or media.
Sexually explicit, defamatory, obscene, racially or ethnically offensive names or slang.
Names of historical or religious significance.
Trademarks or service marks for products, goods, materials or services.
Common names or references to drug related substances, culture or paraphernalia.
Names containing ranks, titles or denotation of power.
Names causing harm, mockery or imitation of The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar, Dungeons & Dragons Online or Asheron’s Call players or NPCs, in addition to Turbine, Inc. employees, past or present.
Misspelled variations or homonyms of any of the above rules. All entries must include the player's name, e-mail address, and primary player and/or forum name (if any) and desired name to credit (i.e., real name, player name or forum name)

The contest is open registered players who are all legal U.S. residents age 18 or older at the time entry is submitted with an active account.

The contest begins on October 15, 2007. Entries may be submitted until midnight Eastern Standard Time on November 15, 2007.

Turbine, Inc. will select five (5) winning entries on or about November 20, 2007. A single winning entry from the five (5) winning entries will be selected on or about November 23, 2007. The winning entry will be announced in the forums on or about December 15, 2007.

Turbine, Inc. will select the winning entries based on appeal of the names. All decisions will be made by Turbine in its sole discretion and are final. Players who submit a winning entry will be required to execute an Assignment and Release. Failure to execute and return the Assignment and Release within the time frame specified may result in another entry being selected as winner.

Five (5) winning entries will receive thirty (30) days of free game time for the Turbine, Inc. game of their choice (approximate retail value: $9.99 - $14.99 each prize). The winning entry will also receive signed concept art from the Turbine, Inc. game of their choice. (Not available for retail sale)

TERMS AND CONDITIONS:

Participation in the contest constitutes players’ full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these rules and terms and conditions. By submitting an entry, each player grants Turbine, Inc. a royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual, worldwide license to reproduce, modify, prepare derivative works of, publicly display and otherwise use, in its sole discretion, any entry in any and all media for any and all purposes, including, but not limited to, incorporation into future Turbine, Inc. products or services and the advertisement and/or promotion of Turbine, Inc. products or services. Turbine, Inc. shall have no liability for any alleged or actual infringement of a third party’s rights in connection with any entry. Turbine, Inc. may assign, transfer or sublicense this license without notice. Turbine, Inc. reserves the right to edit entries as necessary in its sole discretion.

Turbine, Inc. is not responsible for lost, late, undeliverable, incomplete, illegible, or misdirected entries, or for any computer, online or technical malfunctions that may occur. Entries that are not in full compliance with the terms and conditions are void. Turbine, Inc. reserves the right to disqualify any player who, in Turbine, Inc.’s sole discretion, has circumvented or attempted to circumvent these terms and conditions and to render void any subsequent entry by such player. Turbine, Inc. further reserves the right to cancel the contest at any time without notice. Turbine, Inc. is not required in any way to use any entries in The Lord of the Rings Online™: Shadows of Angmar™, Dungeons & Dragons Online™ or Asheron’s Call® or any other products or services. Employees of Turbine, Inc., its licensors, distributors and agencies are excluded from participation. Prizes, if any, are not redeemable for cash. In the event that prizes are unavailable at the time they are awarded, Turbine, Inc. may substitute prize(s) of equal or greater value. Lost or stolen prizes cannot be replaced.

By submitting an entry, each player agrees that they have not or will not receive any compensation or other consideration for their entry. Each player further agrees to release and hold harmless Turbine, Inc. and its licensors, distributors, agents, shareholders, directors, officers, employees and representatives from and against any and all losses, damages, rights, claims, and actions of any kind arising in connection with their participation in the contest, including, not limited to, claims based on publicity rights, defamation, or invasion of privacy. All federal, state, local, provincial and municipal laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited by law. No purchase necessary to enter or win.

Dariuss
10-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Now, i understand the legal challenges that necessitate offering contests only to US Resdients... however, can i suggest finding a prize that can be offered to non-US residents for upcoming contests?

Forum titles would be one example.

I'm somewhat surprised that game-time can't be offered.... what about in-game items? Character slots? Can those kinfds of things be offered as 'prizes' without having all the legal complications?

Ustice
10-04-2007, 02:14 PM
I am not quite sure that I understand this line:

Proper names and places or close facsimiles thereof, from the story characters or non-player characters (NPCs) introduced in the fiction of The Lord of the Rings Online™: Shadows of Angmar™, Dungeons & Dragons Online™ and Asheron’s Call®.

Does this mean that we can not have a name that is ________ of Stormreach, or that we can not use story elements that were developed specifically for DDO? (and since Stormreach is part of D&D Cannon, it is fine to use)

Also, I see that it starts October 15th. Can we send in entries early?

Charlemange
10-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Name it George.

What?

Yeti
10-04-2007, 03:40 PM
I am not quite sure that I understand this line:

Does this mean that we can not have a name that is ________ of Stormreach, or that we can not use story elements that were developed specifically for DDO? (and since Stormreach is part of D&D Cannon, it is fine to use)

Also, I see that it starts October 15th. Can we send in entries early?

Because the Knowledge Base is for all of Turbine's games, no game specific ideas will be considered. So while something like a "Tome" could be considered a general term and used in anything, a "Tome of Stormreach" would be DDO specific and not eligible.

You can submit entries early, but we will not be looking at them until the official contest start date.

Ustice
10-04-2007, 04:02 PM
I already submitted mine, but it would be helpful to tell us what kind of content is in the knowledge base.

Yeti
10-04-2007, 04:09 PM
This is your current DDO KB:

http://turbine.fuzeqna.com/ddo.support/consumer/search.asp

It's intent is to contain information for any possible question you could think to ask while playing or attempting to play our games. The biggest difference is that the new knowledge base will contain information for all of our games (although it will still be presented to each game as game specific information).

Rason
10-04-2007, 04:10 PM
Now, i understand the legal challenges that necessitate offering contests only to US Resdients... however, can i suggest finding a prize that can be offered to non-US residents for upcoming contests?

Forum titles would be one example.

I'm somewhat surprised that game-time can't be offered.... what about in-game items? Character slots? Can those kinfds of things be offered as 'prizes' without having all the legal complications?

I agree with Dariuss. I would like to see more contests where the rest of the world can take part. You are leaving out a great deal of your players :)

Sokar6000
10-04-2007, 04:29 PM
The contest is open registered players...who are age 18 or older...

Why is it that all your contests have this restriction on it?

Memnir
10-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Why is it that all your contests have this restriction on it?Tax purposes, most likely.

Theris
10-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Why is it that all your contests have this restriction on it?

Google the following:

"skills contest sweepstakes laws"

you'll find all the laws on it.

Deriaz
10-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Bah. . . Gotta love being 17. . . All the contests you would love to enter. . . You're just a year short. . . *Sob.*

*Would love concept art from DDO.*

*Shakes a fist menacingly at his birthday.* ><!

-D

Borror0
10-04-2007, 06:43 PM
I can see the need of not having a DDO-specific Knowledge base.

There is already one (http://ddo.enterwiki.net/).:D

TechNoFear
10-04-2007, 08:49 PM
If I was an American I would suggest 'the Taruspex'

[From Haruspex: a reader of omens within animals entrails]

Would shorten to T-rex.

Ustice
10-05-2007, 07:05 AM
Bah. . . Gotta love being 17. . . All the contests you would love to enter. . . You're just a year short. . . *Sob.*

Who pays for it? Get your folks to enter for you. :)

Jaggie
10-05-2007, 09:58 AM
*sniff* .... U.S. resident.... *sniff* *walks off hugging a little flag with a maple leaf on it*

Svetelana
10-05-2007, 11:34 AM
I'll just throw this out there if anyone wants to e-mail it in....

How about:

"Our new and improved Knowledge Base!" Or, better yet "Knowledge Base"

But, I did like George...lol

Karr
10-05-2007, 11:56 AM
*sniff* .... U.S. resident.... *sniff* *walks off hugging a little flag with a maple leaf on it*

Oh come on. Just tell them you are in the US, state of Canada. It is the 51st state, right? :)

fefnir3284
10-05-2007, 12:37 PM

now this makes me sad *tear runs down cheek*

Sokar6000
10-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Who pays for it? Get your folks to enter for you. :)

I realize this quote wasn't directed at me, but I am 17 also, and I just have to say...

I pay for my subscription, using my money that I get from my job with a debit card that is in my name. My folks have nothing to do with it.

Quarion
10-16-2007, 06:39 PM
Don't forget to get those entries in for this contest! Let the naming begin!

Garth_of_Sarlona
10-16-2007, 06:54 PM
I was about to enter, but then remembered I live in Canada, so I can't.

Instead - here is my advice I was about to follow myself that might help anyone entering.

Remember this is a knowledge base for all of Turbine's MMO games - so if you make it too specific to a particular game it's unlikely to be accepted.
Try to find common things from all the Turbine games and use those as a basis e.g. LOTRO, DDO and SoA and AC all include 'dungeons' and 'monsters' and 'vault' and 'caves' but only DDO has the Aurum.
Keep it short
Re-read the rules on the first page and make sure you're not breaking any of them - no point wasting a submission when it's just going to be rejected.

Garth (wishes he could enter)

Kistilan
11-21-2007, 03:52 PM
Hey Turbine!

So is there an update to this contest yet? I submitted two names earlier on and want to know who trounced me. ^_* I'm very interested in the ASK Turbine Knowledge Base Contest's progress.

Mahalo.

-Kistilan

GrayOldDruid
11-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Dang, I didn't even know about this until too late...

"The Windy Vault of Infinite Wisdom"

(Turbine, big fan... Windy... ;)

"Dungeon of Expounded Knowledge and Endless Trivia"

Rickpa
12-24-2007, 01:31 PM
The contest begins on October 15, 2007. Entries may be submitted until midnight Eastern Standard Time on November 15, 2007.

Turbine, Inc. will select five (5) winning entries on or about November 20, 2007. A single winning entry from the five (5) winning entries will be selected on or about November 23, 2007. The winning entry will be announced in the forums on or about December 15, 2007.

December 15th has passed.

Kistilan
12-26-2007, 11:53 PM
December 15th has passed.

December 25th has passed.

Will we hit 2008 before the new name of the Turbine Knowledge Database is announced?

Kistilan
03-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Hey Turbine! Quarion? Tolero? Anybody?

Did you guys EVER complete this contest, or was it a botch from the start? I see the Compendium went Wiki, so did that cancel the ASK program?

query
03-27-2008, 08:39 PM
it's my opinion we all lost.

Basic errors in that compendium are EMBARRASSINGLY clear.

But let's go back to the question at hand: Who won it and where's their work?

Glenalth
03-28-2008, 01:23 AM
Maybe nobody entered?

I know I didn't.

Kistilan
04-10-2008, 01:32 AM
Maybe nobody entered?

I know I didn't.

*EDITED*

Ok, so I asked Quarion about it and it turns out this contest was handled by Customer Service. Unofficially Quarion thinks the contest was cancelled. I'm saying this *unofficially* is what was said. Final word is of course up to the CS people in Turbine to pass a 100&#37; on this issue.

For all future matters, I consider the contest closed and won't bother. I really was looking forward to the results. At least there is the DDOWiki now -- in development, but promising format.