PDA

View Full Version : Is DDO Going PC (Politically Correct)?

HumanJHawkins
10-04-2007, 12:12 PM
As some discussion has come up in this related thread:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=122627

There seem to be changes in DDO to strip out bad realities that a very small minority might find offensive... Is this true, or is this just really unfortunate coincidence?

For example:
- Arissa is no longer tied up... Rather, she now just needs ambiguous help...
- The Human female now has a plain less sexy way of standing (that most people don't like)
- And from way back, wasn't Durk a drunk originally, but now he is deranged?

Turbine, were you specifically threatened with a more restrictive rating if you didn't make these changes, or was this just a coincidence, or was it just utterly stupid managerial decisionmaking?

[jiggle jiggle]

So whether this is just a bunch of unfortunate coincidences or not, please put all the dangerous scary sexy things back in... And if Durk wasn't a drunk, step up to the plate and officially make him one... Deranged people don't wobble like that anyway.

Tenkari_Rozahas
10-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Durks always been deranged, before i think he was DRUNK and Deranged.

Laith
10-04-2007, 12:17 PM
elf female stance didn't change. pretty sure it's the same one the human females used to have.

Yvonne_Blacksword
10-04-2007, 01:08 PM
I thought elf females had that almost painful to look at chest enhancing curve to their backs...

and the human females looked like they were there...but only because they had to be. and they weren't too happy about it.

And the guys all looked tired, thirsty, hungry and disgusted. Not a decent roguish smile in the bunch...

CHICKS PLAY TOO!!!

I am surrounded by....guys!

EEEEeeeeKKkKKkkK!!!!
/runsaway

thatguy
10-04-2007, 01:22 PM

There seem to be changes in DDO to strip out bad realities that a very small minority might find offensive... Is this true, or is this just really unfortunate coincidence?

For example:
- The Human female now has a plain less sexy way of standing (that most people don't like)

Turbine, were you specifically threatened with a more restrictive rating if you didn't make these changes, or was this just a coincidence, or was it just utterly stupid managerial decisionmaking?

[Jiggle Jiggle]

So whether this is just a bunch of unfortunate coincidences or not, please put all the dangerous scary sexy things back in... And if Durk wasn't a drunk, step up to the plate and officially make him one... Deranged people don't wobble like that anyway.

I am the conservative right and no I don't think playing DDO is the same as devil worship. I think you are clumping the right with the born again Christian movement which sure enough thinks that DDO is evil. The average conservative individual could care less with what you do with your free time, as long as it doesn't interfere with my rights and freedoms.

Rant off.

Pfamily
10-04-2007, 01:48 PM

[color=#FF0000]I am the conservative right and no I don't think playing DDO is the same as devil worship. I think you are clumping the right with the born again Christian movement which sure enough thinks that DDO is evil.

Yes, sweeping generalities (by anyone) do nothing but detract from the argument...which I believe has some merit BTW, albeit in my opinion not as much as is perceived by the OP.

PC is everywhere, and coming at us from many sides. Fight it! Wear too-short skirts! Buy condoms before 10pm in a populated and well-light marketplace! Drink before noon! Let hedonism reign...WOO HOO!!!

Ahem...sorry, lost it there for a sec.

I do miss the look of the human girls though...<hic>

jwbarry
10-04-2007, 03:53 PM
Before we all go off on crazy hypothesis and assumptions...

Arissa was 'untied' because we didn't have the necessary appearances and animations to show her being tied up and then untied by the player, and presentation wise it was goofy to have the dialog tell you that you're untying a character who is quite obviously not tied up.

Comparing the time required to change a little bit of text vs. make new NPC appearances and animations, it was a rather simple choice of what to change in order to maintain the essence of what was going on but not have it look goofy.

Twerpp
10-04-2007, 03:56 PM
Not to mention this is one of the rare D&D games with no brothel, hookers, or streetwalkers of any kind...but I have my suspiscions about Bloody Mary...

I remember even one of the quest givers was a madame of a brothel, and you could gain access to the ladies and have an experience with one, which thouroughly disgusted any female NPC in party you may have had a relationship with.

Planescape: Torment, Baldurs Gate and NWN all had ho's. It just fits with the Medieval European theme of D&D.

Darkwolf
10-04-2007, 03:58 PM

Arissa was 'untied' because we didn't have the necessary appearances and animations to show her being tied up and then untied by the player, and presentation wise it was goofy to have the dialog tell you that you're untying a character who is quite obviously not tied up.

Comparing the time required to change a little bit of text vs. make new NPC appearances and animations, it was a rather simple choice of what to change in order to maintain the essence of what was going on but not have it look goofy.

That makes sense. Although, it's not nearly as entertaining as the PC conspericy idea. ;)

Symar-FangofLloth
10-04-2007, 04:00 PM

Aww, but if you made the animations, the you could put them in new quests, too!

ArkoHighStar
10-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Not to mention this is one of the rare D&D games with no brothel, hookers, or streetwalkers of any kind...but I have my suspiscions about Bloody Mary...

I remember even one of the quest givers was a madame of a brothel, and you could gain access to the ladies and have an experience with one, which thouroughly disgusted any female NPC in party you may have had a relationship with.

Planescape: Torment, Baldurs Gate and NWN all had ho's. It just fits with the Medieval European theme of D&D.

Head out to 3 barrel cove sometime.

Twerpp
10-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Oh yeah what game was it that you had to gain access to the basement by beating a guy in a CON-based drinking match? And for every drink you take your INT drops 1..good times.

Gornin
10-04-2007, 04:06 PM

Awwww man. How dare you use sanity and logic to interrupt my diatribes. That is just evil. Probably likes popping little kids' ballons too. :p

HumanJHawkins
10-04-2007, 04:10 PM

Thanks for chiming in! I love it when I am wrong about this kind of thing. I am hyper sensitive to the issue for a number of reasons... 'nuff said though. Glad it was just a coincidence.

ccheath776
10-04-2007, 04:18 PM
it was a rather simple choice of what to change in order to maintain the essence of what was going on but not have it look goofy.

*starts to say something and then slaps his dirty little mind around and quickly shuts his mouth.

Kalanth
10-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Fight the inevitable correct of all things (PC Movement) by simply being yourself. I realize that by cursing excessively, refusing to call people things like Afro-American (as apposed to American), and just all around going against the grain, I am not making much of an impact against PC things. However, this is the way that I choose to fight the fight. Don't like what I say, don't tell me to be quiet or to not say those things in public, just walk away.

As for changes in the game... Arisa is not tied up anymore? You know, I can't remember the last time I read any of the text in any of the quests... And I only play Warforged, so I never noticed the change in the walk. For arguments sake, though, I would love to see it go back to black Bra and Panties with the sexy walk. Maybe add in some more handsome lips, eyes, and hair for the men. I prefer the straight lip look because a "rougish smile" would look a hint dumb plastered on the face at all time like a perma-grin.

** Looks to Yvonne Blacksword **

kungfu
10-04-2007, 04:54 PM
PC is everywhere, and coming at us from many sides. Fight it! Wear too-short skirts! Buy condoms before 10pm in a populated and well-light marketplace! Drink before noon! Let hedonism reign...WOO HOO!!!

LMAO. I wanna party with you man ! :D

...too funny.

DoctorWhofan
10-04-2007, 05:34 PM
I thought elf females had that almost painful to look at chest enhancing curve to their backs...

and the human females looked like they were there...but only because they had to be. and they weren't too happy about it.

And the guys all looked tired, thirsty, hungry and disgusted. Not a decent roguish smile in the bunch...

CHICKS PLAY TOO!!!

I am surrounded by....guys!

EEEEeeeeKKkKKkkK!!!!
/runsaway

HEY I'm a chick! And let's put some male dancing/standing/running issues on the ballot. We girls have been suffereing since the game's begining.

muffinlad
10-04-2007, 06:00 PM
What? There's really not a right-wing, conservative, born-again Christian conspiracy ruining our game we can complain about? Well, somebody give me Dan Rather's phone number. I'll call him and let him know that we are conspiracy-free so he can make up a story we can all slobber over on the evening news...

Here's one- I hear that Private Jake enlisted in the City Guard so he could skip out of "The Last War", and even then, he spends most of his time trying to help Barrigon Enge get elected to the Stormreach Council rather than doing his duty down in WW, or drunk off his wagon in the Rusty Nail and avoiding his commanders. Then, when Chrispen the Cryer reported on his misbehavings, the Cryer claimed Jake was drunk at the Lobester, and naturally that one fact make it that everything else Chrispen said was a lie...and he was fired because folks like Guard Jung (who did not have to serve because he had a boil on his backside) yell'd really loud that Chrispen was disrespecting the service of sewer dwellers!

Huzzah!

muffinkrugman

Kalanth
10-04-2007, 06:01 PM
While we are on the subject, where are the overweight body types? I want to be the heavy set hero that walks in and saves the day. :)

** And yes, I know I could just play a dwarf, but thats no fun.

MasterofDungeons
10-04-2007, 06:09 PM
HEY I'm a chick! And let's put some male dancing/standing/running issues on the ballot. We girls have been suffereing since the game's begining.

Maybe you've never seen the proper use of /flex...

Ziggy
10-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Hey you ladies already have a dude pole dancing:D Hes in the marketplace.

Hey devs can we get a female pole dancer? Its only fair.:eek: :cool:

GreyRogue
10-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Hey you ladies already have a dude pole dancing:D Hes in the marketplace.

Ziggy for President.

fefnir3284
10-05-2007, 07:59 AM
Asbestos underwear on! Visors down! Shields up! Godwin's Law incoming! NAAAZIS!

Where was I?

now that is quote worthy :eek: :D

Mad_Bombardier
10-05-2007, 09:22 AM
Hey you ladies already have a dude pole dancing:D He's in the marketplace.

Ziggy for President.I second the nomination!

binnsr
10-05-2007, 09:30 AM

Now the problem is that it looks like she's just hanging out in the basement with the hobgoblin. I, for one, was able to suspend the disbelieve of her hands not being physically tied..

And as someone else said, if you made the animations, you could use them elsewhere :D

Klattuu
10-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Not to mention this is one of the rare D&D games with no brothel, hookers, or streetwalkers of any kind.

Are you sure?

The two women outside the Salty Wench in Three-Barell Cove don't leave me with that impression.

Svetelana
10-05-2007, 11:25 AM

For example:

Either way, here's a scoop for you: The conservative right thinks playing D&D is equivalent to devil worship... You aren't going to make them join the party by getting rid of Arissa's ropes. And people who play D&D are primarily interested in intrigue, terror, sex, violence, and everything else you will find in the best of fantasy novels. You can't have intrigue and terror without risk. And risk doesn't occur without unpleasant consequences on failure. You can't save a damsel in distress unless she is actually in distrsess.

You have got to be friggin' kidding!

The_Mighty_Cube
10-05-2007, 11:56 AM
This is your friendly reminder that political and religious discussion is against the forum guidelines and while this thread went into unacceptable waters, it seems to have rerouted itself acceptably so I'll leave it open.

I have eaten those posts which were unacceptable however. Please keep me away from this thread, as I need to lose some jiggling bodyweight by christmas. (I'll be in the Bahamas).

Thanks.

Ziggy
10-05-2007, 12:11 PM
This is your friendly reminder that political and religious discussion is against the forum guidelines and while this thread went into unacceptable waters, it seems to have rerouted itself acceptably so I'll leave it open.

I have eaten those posts which were unacceptable however. Please keep me away from this thread, as I need to lose some jiggling bodyweight by christmas. (I'll be in the Bahamas).

Thanks.
Sweet my post was acceptable.

So Cube does that mean we may get our female pole dancer?:D :eek: :cool:

Gornin
10-05-2007, 12:22 PM

Thanks.

Sorry to have contributed to the ruining of your girlish figure GC.:p I'll do better to not let things get to me.

Borrigain
10-05-2007, 12:27 PM
Hey Jaw,

My game box says "blood" on the ESRB rating, but I have yet to ever have seen some. Smears on the wall and the bright red "flash" when I get crit'd don't count. I want my crits to splash some red on the floor.

What gives? Can we get an option to unlock it at some time in the future. After all, you have my credit card info on my account, so you know I'm not 10 yrs old. Or a check box in the options panel for those of us who's computers can handle it?

Just wondering,
Borr.

Laith
10-05-2007, 12:40 PM
My game box says "blood" on the ESRB rating, but I have yet to ever have seen some. Smears on the wall and the bright red "flash" when I get crit'd don't count. I want my crits to splash some red on the floor.
actually, i'm pretty sure that smears on the walls and the puddles that are sometimes near blood-drenched corpses DO count.

from time to time, i do miss the exploding corpses of doom, diablo, and other games though... made me laugh.

Ziggy
10-05-2007, 11:22 PM
so any chance of them pole dancers?

Devs? I know your busy fixing the abbot raid but if you could take the time to add a femal pole dancer(please not WF or dwarf) in any tavern and let me know which one.:D

lostinjapan
10-05-2007, 11:42 PM

Okay, I can accept that (and thank you for clarifying).

So why was human female idle stance changed?

GlassCannon
10-05-2007, 11:52 PM

What gives? Can we get an option to unlock it at some time in the future. After all, you have my credit card info on my account, so you know I'm not 10 yrs old. Or a check box in the options panel for those of us who's computers can handle it?

I'd also like to see someone explode when hit by a huge fireball, or melt when they are killed with acid, instead of just falling over and laying down... turn black and spasm, covered in lightning, then falling apart in ash when killed by lightning... puff into a cloud of smoke when killed by a scorching ray/firewall or some such... freeze into an icy statue when killed with ice... etc.

Lorien_the_First_One
10-06-2007, 12:07 AM

Thanks.

I'm sorry Mr Cube, you have just raised a religious matter and I believe you need to give yourself an infraction point.

issiana
10-06-2007, 01:36 AM
Sweet my post was acceptable.

So Cube does that mean we may get our female pole dancer?:D :eek: :cool:

mine wasn't lol. looks like i added weight to the cube, :eek:

Drak
10-06-2007, 09:38 AM

Thanks.

Cube we love ya man, have a nice holiday.
oops im from legion, wait ...
you should thank me, if weight loss is your aim, we are the main reason why you lose it in the first place. running between our posts must drain th calories

GuitarHero
10-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Oh yeah what game was it that you had to gain access to the basement by beating a guy in a CON-based drinking match? And for every drink you take your INT drops 1..good times.

and after you beat him, it gave you the chance to keep drinking anyway!!!

GlassCannon
10-06-2007, 02:25 PM

Yep it was the first Neverwinter Nights game. Had to out drink a half orc if memory serves me correctly...