PDA

View Full Version : Exporting Characters

dwelsh99
10-04-2007, 06:41 AM
Is there a way to export character information from our accounts?

Even if there is a .NET web service avaiable, that would be helpful.

Mercules
10-04-2007, 08:01 AM
Is there a way to export character information from our accounts?

Even if there is a .NET web service avaiable, that would be helpful.

Pad of paper and a pencil?

Mad_Bombardier
10-04-2007, 08:19 AM
Pad of paper and a pencil?Oooh, I'll do one better! Screenshot, printer, scanner, OCR, text doc. :p

You know what? Turbine apparently doesn't want to mess with any data exporting. Ok, I can live with that. How about bringing IN the official WotC character sheet and putting our game data on it. Then we can screenshot and print! :)

Mercules
10-04-2007, 08:26 AM
Actually, I am still trying to figure out why one would want to export the data. I suppose it could be good as a reference sheet when you can't or don't want to log in. Then again with all the items and swapping I often do the skill part of the sheet wouldn't be very accurate unless I sampled it with various gear in place.

Me, I just jot down things people might want to know like my Rogue's DD/Search/Spot/OL skills with appropriate gear and maximums when self buffed.

Lorien_the_First_One
10-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Actually, I am still trying to figure out why one would want to export the data. I suppose it could be good as a reference sheet when you can't or don't want to log in. Then again with all the items and swapping I often do the skill part of the sheet wouldn't be very accurate unless I sampled it with various gear in place.

Me, I just jot down things people might want to know like my Rogue's DD/Search/Spot/OL skills with appropriate gear and maximums when self buffed.

1) Ok, which of my 3 fighters did I leave that Vorpal on
2) Wow a +6 Str belt. Hmmm, if I put this on I wonder if I can shuffle things around from my mules and other chars to make the best mix for each
3) Wow you just pulled a disrupter and you have 6? I don't have any yet, what would it take to get it from you?

and so on...

Mercules
10-04-2007, 10:40 AM
1) Ok, which of my 3 fighters did I leave that Vorpal on
2) Wow a +6 Str belt. Hmmm, if I put this on I wonder if I can shuffle things around from my mules and other chars to make the best mix for each
3) Wow you just pulled a disrupter and you have 6? I don't have any yet, what would it take to get it from you?

and so on...

Well, that is all Gear Information. Maybe I understood wrong but to me Character Info means Attributes/Skills/Feats/Enhancements. I suppose I could see the gear a character is carrying as Character Info. I'm used to PnP where anything that can be taken away/broken shouldn't be counted on. ;)

Ulfr
10-04-2007, 11:16 AM
How about exporting out from game to be able to import into something, say like a character planner? Or import into some kind of character DB you can show off on the web, if not just post a simple .txt or .html document on the web?

dwelsh99
10-04-2007, 09:50 PM
There were a couple reasons for me...

I have been playing D&D for about 15 yrs now, DDO for about 3 months. I agreed to allow my home players the option to use their DDO characters for our at home game plays. I have been playing the game for about 3 months now, and feel comfortable with the balance of items and characters abilities, to allow this type of interaction.

I am a employed NET programmer, I would not mind at all coming up with something to make the export easier. I would certainly use it, especially for myself for several reasons mention above, like tracking items. I am 40 years old, I cannot possibly remember what I have going on with all of my characters. If you are a serious player, then you know exactly what I mean. DDO or old fashion paper and pencil.

Mercules
10-05-2007, 07:34 AM
There were a couple reasons for me...

I have been playing D&D for about 15 yrs now, DDO for about 3 months. I agreed to allow my home players the option to use their DDO characters for our at home game plays. I have been playing the game for about 3 months now, and feel comfortable with the balance of items and characters abilities, to allow this type of interaction.

I am a employed NET programmer, I would not mind at all coming up with something to make the export easier. I would certainly use it, especially for myself for several reasons mention above, like tracking items. I am 40 years old, I cannot possibly remember what I have going on with all of my characters. If you are a serious player, then you know exactly what I mean. DDO or old fashion paper and pencil.

You are going to allow DDO characters in a PnP game? They will be hopelessly uber twinked in combat and gimped everywhere else. Bards and Rogues will be missing half their useful skills, you will want to make Rangers choose a path. Barbarians will overwhelm much of what you throw at them. Wizards/Sorcerers will be immensely powerful, but lack most of their utility magic.

DDO throws a lot of D&D balance out the window. It mostly balances out in the game, but would not balance exporting those DDO characters into D&D.

Tany
10-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Check your pm's