PDA

View Full Version : Deception:Enveloped in Darkness?! Huh?

Twerpp
10-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Ok so the description on the absolute waste of loot level enhancement called Deception is something to the effect of "small chance the target will become enveloped in darkness making it vulnerable to a sneak-attack yadda yadda".

My question is, and I have posed this to many a red-cheeked rouge....

Does this carp-ola actually work?
I'm guessing that the bluff bonus doesnt stack with a bluff item, I've had great weapons like +5 bursters with deception and I've never visually seen someone get "enveloped in darkness" I realize that is entirely too much to hope for.

Rogues are you seeing more sneaks when you otherwise wouldn't already get a sneak-attack?

What's your take on this weapon enhancement that seems geared specifically towards your class?

Mad_Bombardier
10-02-2007, 12:07 PM
I'm guessing that the bluff bonus doesnt stack with a bluff item, I've had great weapons like +5 bursters with deception and I've never visually seen someone get "enveloped in darkness" I realize that is entirely too much to hope for.I believe that like the Perform bonus on Gwylan's Blade and the Disable Device bonus on Ventilated Bracers, the enhancement bonus on Deception stacks (normal +skills items are competence bonuses).

And I'm not sure if there is a visual effect. I do not play a Rogue and do not know how it compares to manually Bluffing/ImpFeinting to gain sneak attacks.

Mercules
10-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Ok so the description on the absolute waste of loot level enhancement called Deception is something to the effect of "small chance the target will become enveloped in darkness making it vulnerable to a sneak-attack yadda yadda".

I'm guessing that the bluff bonus doesnt stack with a bluff item, I've had great weapons like +5 bursters with deception and I've never visually seen someone get "enveloped in darkness" I realize that is entirely too much to hope for.

Rogues are you seeing more sneaks when you otherwise wouldn't already get a sneak-attack?

What's your take on this weapon enhancement that seems geared specifically towards your class?

It works. It doesn't fire off all that often, but when it does I get my sneak attacks again. The Deception Bluff and a +x Bluff item effects do NOT stack as they are both the same type of effect. The graphic is very similar to Sunder's graphic and they usually turn away from you as they loose their agro, just like a Bluff check. Definitely worth it when I am soloing with my Rogue or forced to go toe to toe with a mob.

Jomee
10-02-2007, 12:21 PM

Yes it actually works, when hit with deception it looks similar to sunder and the target turns his back to you for a second like it forgot you just hit him, lol.

Twerpp
10-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Good to know, most people treat this as entirely worthless, thanks guys.

Impaqt
10-02-2007, 12:31 PM
I've said it before, I'l say it again.

Treason in the Main Hand, Seeker of Deception in the Offhand.

Treason
Keen-No big deal
Backstab+5 WOrks on Treason AND Offhand Weapon
Treason: 20% Reduced Aggro Stacks with Subtle Backstabber

Seeker+10 Shortword ofof Deception In Offhand
Seeker+10 Stacks with Fighter Critical enh and Transfers to Both Hands
Deception Seems to Transfer across weapons as well ( I get a LOT more Deception hits when dual weiling than Sword and board)

I quite reguarally see 100+ HP Critical hits.... Its simply an awesome pure DPS Combo.

Mercules
10-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Good to know, most people treat this as entirely worthless, thanks guys.

As a Rogue, most of the time I would rather have a "of Deception" weapon than a Backstabbing weapon. When I don't have agro I don't have an issue with doing damage, just doing to much sometimes and Deception can still bluff the target giving everyone else a free "round" of not being hit. If I do have agro then Deception helps out a lot.

Taur
10-02-2007, 12:42 PM
deception come in real handy when tanking the reaver. with a couple of tanks, it keeps him turned around and not facing the main party.

Impaqt
10-02-2007, 01:29 PM
deception come in real handy when tanking the reaver. with a couple of tanks, it keeps him turned around and not facing the main party.

Well, except for the fac\t that most folks WANT the reaver faceing them and buffing them...;)

Scalion
10-02-2007, 01:36 PM
I've said it before, I'l say it again.

Treason in the Main Hand, Seeker of Deception in the Offhand.

Treason
Keen-No big deal
Backstab+5 WOrks on Treason AND Offhand Weapon
Treason: 20% Reduced Aggro Stacks with Subtle Backstabber

Seeker+10 Shortword ofof Deception In Offhand
Seeker+10 Stacks with Fighter Critical enh and Transfers to Both Hands
Deception Seems to Transfer across weapons as well ( I get a LOT more Deception hits when dual weiling than Sword and board)

I quite reguarally see 100+ HP Critical hits.... Its simply an awesome pure DPS Combo.

Since sneak attacks don't do critical danage, and a rogue shouldn't really have many problems landing their attacks....I would say that TreasonX2 would work out better than this in my opinion. Then the Keen property does actually matter this way because you can drop improved crit for something else.

Mhykke
10-02-2007, 03:18 PM
Deception is awesome, very underrated.

Impaqt
10-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Since sneak attacks don't do critical danage, and a rogue shouldn't really have many problems landing their attacks....I would say that TreasonX2 would work out better than this in my opinion. Then the Keen property does actually matter this way because you can drop improved crit for something else.

a Second Treason wuld be no different than having a +5 Keen Shortsword in your offhand.

Treason wont Stack
Backstab doesnt stack

THis is a DPS Combo..... Improved Crit is Much more usefull for when you Pull out your Smiter, Banisher, or other MOB Specific Weaponry.