PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. bows

jaitee
10-02-2007, 10:57 AM
ok today i finally decided that i would sell my 25 or so..odd bows for my ranger

after throwing them on the AH, not one sold, greater bane of everything, and even smiting...disruption ..wounding? and many more

i use TWF amost all the time.

it came down to it, with mod 5...they added all these bags.....and i just cant carry all these things anymore

so i decided, and thought i never use my bows, i am just a wannabe ranger, who never uses bows.....

i dont have enough space to hold all these extra arrows and bows and along side that all the TWF weapons i use, i can never loot, because i am always full

so i decided to sell all my bows to a vendor

R.I.P. bows, maybe turbine will fix you one day, but till then i love my rapiers more!

jayne
10-02-2007, 11:06 AM
what sever you on so i can steal them for vender prices...lol

jaitee
10-02-2007, 11:12 AM
what sever you on so i can steal them for vender prices...lol

ghallanda but i already sold them, they are gone now

but on the bright side of things, i now have room to loot, and my SS and rapiers which out DPS bows none the less..

jayne
10-02-2007, 11:15 AM
oh well i tryed

Solstyse
10-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Maybe next time you will make a newbies day and give them away. Or maybe run a player made newbie quest for said bows. That was one of my favorite things to do in older games. Oh well.

GlassCannon
10-02-2007, 01:08 PM
I use repeaters. They are SCARY fast now, and keep up in DPS with a very weak hasted tank(Battlecleric). My ranger knocks a bolt in place and fires it off almost as fast as an M-16 set to Triple Fire. I would LOVE if Turbine would finally fix repeaters to fire 5 times so we can keep up with a hasted Medium tank DPS(Paladin using Longswords).

CSFurious
10-02-2007, 01:21 PM
with my ranger/fighter, i mainly fight with light picks

i only use my silver bow for the demon queen raid & i also have an icy burst greater evil outsider bane one that i use on her as well, but the silver bow works pretty damn good for my purposes

i will probably attack the undead beholder with a bow in the future

& i sold an extra banishing longbow on the ah last week for over a 100,000 plat

somebody wanted it

but, i agree my ranger does not really engage in ranged combat that much

Alavatar
10-02-2007, 01:22 PM
I use repeaters. They are SCARY fast now, and keep up in DPS with a very weak hasted tank(Battlecleric). My ranger knocks a bolt in place and fires it off almost as fast as an M-16 set to Triple Fire. I would LOVE if Turbine would finally fix repeaters to fire 5 times so we can keep up with a hasted Medium tank DPS(Paladin using Longswords).

Do repeaters work with multi-shot?

Mad_Bombardier
10-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Do repeaters work with multi-shot?No. Nor do regular crossbows. And they never should.

Pfamily
10-02-2007, 01:49 PM
No. Nor do regular crossbows. And they never should.

Amen.

Dariun
10-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Do repeaters work with multi-shot?

No, but I hear in Mod 6 they are adding a new item, duct tape, and you will be able to use it to tape two repeaters together to get off 6 shots at once. ;)

Pfamily
10-02-2007, 02:01 PM
Sweeeeet!

And you can you use it to FINALLY make a double-mace too!

Dariun
10-02-2007, 02:11 PM
And you can you use it to FINALLY make a double-mace too!

If you are tall enough, you can make a double-maul!

sigtrent
10-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Bows are still usefull, just for specific tasks like shooting things you can't melee with or kiting stuff when soloing etc... They work especialy well if everyone in the party has some kind of ranged weapon.

But generaly you only need one or two solid bows and that's it. Having one for every enemy is way overkill. The only character i have with more than two bows is my wizard who has various effect bows (shattermantle, cursespewing, a damage bow, a wounding/puncturing bow etc..). Of course generaly I just FOD stuff but hey, its fun to have them for when I run out of spell points on occasion.

I suppose my bard has 4 repeaters, but those are more for fun than anything else. Repeaters are great for characters who arn't good with melee.

Fura
10-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Just give us quiver turbine! That will help alot of ranger get more space.

Bow are still very useful. Manyshot with a wounding longbow of puncruting ftw!

Okita
10-02-2007, 03:29 PM
boo jaitee... should have looked me up... my poor ranger has **** for bows..

I never get them as end rewards and i never pull them from chests on any of my characters... (err, minus two i have pulled on my not-so-high-dex rogue)

FlyinS
10-02-2007, 03:33 PM
No, but I hear in Mod 6 they are adding a new item, duct tape, and you will be able to use it to tape two repeaters together to get off 6 shots at once. ;)

Oh man. With duct tape I could solo the Reaver at level 1. Never, ever underestimate the power of duct tape.

Shamguard
10-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Bows are still usefull, just for specific tasks like shooting things you can't melee with or kiting stuff when soloing etc... They work especialy well if everyone in the party has some kind of ranged weapon.

But generaly you only need one or two solid bows and that's it. Having one for every enemy is way overkill. The only character i have with more than two bows is my wizard who has various effect bows (shattermantle, cursespewing, a damage bow, a wounding/puncturing bow etc..). Of course generaly I just FOD stuff but hey, its fun to have them for when I run out of spell points on occasion.

I suppose my bard has 4 repeaters, but those are more for fun than anything else. Repeaters are great for characters who arn't good with melee.

I like to use my repeater to shoot the mobs chasing the casters and kite rangers around the room.:D My halfling legs are just to short to chase most mobs.:cool: The real fun is trying to get sneak attack on the fly by.:p

LogannX
10-02-2007, 04:39 PM
I still find many uses for bows and keep a healthy collection. usually I only carry 3 or 4 around and stop by a bank to switch out bows and other gear as needed for quests. Sure it takes a couple mins but it gives a lot of flexibility.

Zhenzin Myr'Un14 drow ranger- Its me that goes bump in the night

jaitee
10-02-2007, 04:50 PM
boo jaitee... should have looked me up... my poor ranger has **** for bows..

I never get them as end rewards and i never pull them from chests on any of my characters... (err, minus two i have pulled on my not-so-high-dex rogue)

send me a X-mas list, maybe i can be your DDO santa :rolleyes:

MathGeek
10-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Oh man. With duct tape I could solo the Reaver at level 1. Never, ever underestimate the power of duct tape.

No way. Can't be done.

Add in 50 feet of rope though, and you're in business. :D

Cambo
10-02-2007, 09:15 PM
No way. Can't be done.

Add in 50 feet of rope though, and you're in business. :D

You've never watched Macguiver..you only need the tape.

Partymaker
10-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Just quive us quiver turbine! That will help alot of ranger get more space.

Bow are still very useful. Manyshot with a wounding longbow of puncruting ftw!

Wtg buddy! :D

Ganak
10-02-2007, 11:18 PM
I play a 12 ranger/2 Fighter spec'd for archery (about every ranged feat, 36 dex, twinked out on bows) and have great success. However, I can see for anyone not 100% built for archer to be ineffective. When built for archery though, man it can be pretty incredible at times.

Attomic
10-03-2007, 06:09 AM
I don't see what the "problem" with bows is. Ran in a half-pug last night, and one of the players was a ranger (think he was pure ranger, but I'm not sure) who only fought at range. He was neck-and-neck with my fighter in kills. Sounds like ranged combat is viable after all.

Ringlord
10-03-2007, 08:28 AM
I carry 11 different bows on my Ranger and use them about 50% of the time. I do my best damage with a bow or two weapon fighting, but I take a lot less damage with a bow.

I finally got a paralyzer from a guildie Sunday night who gave me one he pulled from a chest in the Orchard after a friend gave him a paralyzing sword. I went to Threnal and killed everything there including the Earth Elementals without taking a single hit of damage :D

I do not carry an excess of melee weapons and only 2 sets of armor and 2 shields. I still carry a half a pack of the returning arrows from House D and of course a pack full of potions/wands and I still have over 20 slots empty for loot.
I also have the small bag and 1 medium bag for collectibles and now pick them all up with no worries on space.

That said a quiver would still be very nice and extremely helpful.

stonecircle
10-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Make the many shot timer a little faster so you can use it more and your set. Nothing drops a beholder (or 3) like many shot, bow str, and some good crits. (besides spells etc)

Make the range of a bow more noticable over crossbows and your good to go.

Give us a bow with built in returning arrows of force :) (ya know...like a laser)