PDA

View Full Version : Righteous Bug

QuantumFX
10-01-2007, 01:48 AM
OK, so if a Righteous weapon is imbued with holy power then why doesn't it label the weapon damage as good for the purposes of bypassing DR? ???

*Edit*

Leaving the above posted for historical purposes.

The way I understand the Righteous suffix is that it's a Turbine home brewed ability for a named mace that dropped in Tempest Spine. (meaning: It's an ability that isn't in any WotC sourcebooks.) The named weapon was also a Holy mace it's capable of bypassing DR/Good. Since Righteousness got added to the general loot tables I was wanting to know if the inability to bypass DR/Good is intentional or an oversight. If you read the description of a Righteous weapon it reads like it should be a good aligned weapon. If a Turbine staffmember has posted on it the please cite.

Lithic
10-01-2007, 08:57 AM
I don't think its holy power. I think its more of "I am right, you are evil, now die" power. Sort of an overwhelming conviction rather than a non-specific good attribute.

It just happens to be conviction based on some good wizard(s) who created the weapon, so it only affects evil. Neutrals aren't hit cause they just say "meh whatever" to any opinion :D

Now that being said, there should be an evil conviction equivalent.

tihocan
10-01-2007, 08:58 AM
I guess that's because that's the rules, and you should ask Wizards.
Now, I didn't take time to verify it, so if it's not the correct rules, then yes, you'd have a point.

MysticTheurge
10-01-2007, 09:31 AM
because that's the rules

QFT.

Mad_Bombardier
10-01-2007, 10:32 AM
I wondered the same, myself. The description says, "Righteous: This weapon is imbued with holy power, giving it an additional +2 attack and damage against any creature with a strong or overwhelming aura of evil."

From the description, it *sounds* like it should bypass DR/Good. I'm fine with the fact that it doesn't. But, they should change the description. :)

Plutocracy
10-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Abosolutely, if flametouched is considered good aligned, so should righteous. Its clearly a good aligned weapon.

Karr
10-01-2007, 12:29 PM
I thought "righteous" weapons were just good aligned weapons anyone could use, whereas "pure good" weapons require the good alignment. Rather like Axiomatic weapons do lawful damage but you dont have to be lawful to use them vs True Law weapons that require Lawful alignment.

MysticTheurge
10-01-2007, 01:12 PM
I thought "righteous" weapons were just good aligned weapons anyone could use, whereas "pure good" weapons require the good alignment. Rather like Axiomatic weapons do lawful damage but you dont have to be lawful to use them vs True Law weapons that require Lawful alignment.

You're thinking of Holy.

QuantumFX
10-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Edited the original post because apparently the original question was too vague for the general forum populace... :(

MysticTheurge
10-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Edited the original post because apparently the original question was too vague for the general forum populace... :(

It is from a D&D sourcebook, though I can't remember which off the top of my head. If someone else doesn't have it handy, I'll look for it in a bit.

ChaosTheEternal
10-01-2007, 07:26 PM
It is from a D&D sourcebook, though I can't remember which off the top of my head. If someone else doesn't have it handy, I'll look for it in a bit.
Book of Exalted Deeds:

Righteous: This weapon acts as though it has the spell detect evil upon it. This enchantment is always active unless the wielder commands the weapon to deactivate (a free action). The wielder receives a +2 bonus on attack and damage rolls against any creature with a strong or overwhelming aura of evil (see the detect evil spell description in the Player’s Handbook). Bows, crossbows, and slings so crafted confer the righteous power upon their ammunition.
So, it's a weapon that is stronger against those that are evil because it detects evil. It's not necessarily "holy" or "good" by any means.

QuantumFX
10-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Book of Exalted Deeds:

Righteous: This weapon acts as though it has the spell detect evil upon it. This enchantment is always active unless the wielder commands the weapon to deactivate (a free action). The wielder receives a +2 bonus on attack and damage rolls against any creature with a strong or overwhelming aura of evil (see the detect evil spell description in the Player’s Handbook). Bows, crossbows, and slings so crafted confer the righteous power upon their ammunition.

So, it's a weapon that is stronger against those that are evil because it detects evil. It's not necessarily "holy" or "good" by any means.

Thanks Chaos! That would have made a much clearer description. I know DDO is trying to gloss over the whole detect evil thing - since they can't code it. But they still can use it to describe how a weapon is made.