PDA

View Full Version : One UI feature that we should have by now!

Fahkrin
09-29-2007, 06:20 PM
Some kind of line-command we can enter to get unstuck.

It was annoying before, but we could always /death and have someone move our stone, teleporting us out of our corner to get raised.

But now we have to wait until we get a DM, and then I don't know if that would even work (someone in my party had a dimension door item, or I could still have been there).

And to answer to inevitable question, I got stuck on Tomb of the Shadow Guard, not the new content.

MysticTheurge
09-29-2007, 08:58 PM
You can have someone put a Dimension Door near you too.

Fahkrin
09-30-2007, 12:26 AM
And every single party, even lowbies, has someone who can cast dimension door?

Okita
09-30-2007, 01:20 AM
I saw poor Kitten today stuck in GH, she called a GM, but deleted her ticket and got out before a GM responded. Totally lame that she couldn't have /death without a penalty

btw, i thought they were putting /resloc in with mod 5

jaitee
09-30-2007, 01:24 AM
i got stuck in the flesh factory behind a pillar

DD could not get me out, i was SSSOOO against /death, i put in a ticket

after my group finished the quest.......i just /death due to the long wait

ehm i guess i was the 1st one to get my end reward.....anyways

MysticTheurge
09-30-2007, 08:47 AM
And every single party, even lowbies, has someone who can cast dimension door?

No. Of course not. (Though even a first level wizard has a chance to use a DD scroll successfully.)

I'm not saying this isn't a problem, I'm just reminding (the general) you that there are a few options currently in the game.

Fahkrin
10-01-2007, 10:02 AM
No. Of course not. (Though even a first level wizard has a chance to use a DD scroll successfully.)

I'm not saying this isn't a problem, I'm just reminding (the general) you that there are a few options currently in the game.

One time where there really isn't much of an option; getting stuck somewhere in Stormreach. A party member got trapped in House K, in the room where you enter VON2. No DD there; the only thing he could do was relog.

But seriously; either waiting forever for a DM, or relogging are our only options? C'mon devs, the game has been out for 20 months, and this keeps happening. Any chance of getting some sort of help with this?

MysticTheurge
10-01-2007, 10:29 AM
One time where there really isn't much of an option; getting stuck somewhere in Stormreach. A party member got trapped in House K, in the room where you enter VON2. No DD there; the only thing he could do was relog.

Yeah I had a friend get stuck in House P once. Luckily he was a wizard, so we brought him a teleport scroll. Personally, I carry a couple Word of Recall scrolls just for this (well and for escaping from Explorer zones when things go bad).

Yvonne_Blacksword
10-01-2007, 03:17 PM
oooohhhh....an emote like command that will unstick us?

I could see people like me abusing that....
:D:p
/unstick rebounds off of MysticThurge's aura of knowledge.

muffinlad
10-01-2007, 04:13 PM
a /Stuck command that moves you a foot in a random direction and has a 60 second cool down would not be easy to abuse, and would save DM intervention.

This should be a priority, as it has been with just about every other MMO worth it's salt.

Regs,

muffinstuck

Mr._Dna
10-01-2007, 05:11 PM
It would never happen unless they could code it in such a way that you couldn't use it to jump through barriers, etc. But how could they really do that if it's truly an "unstick"? I don't see them knowingly introducing a new feature into the game that is ripe for unintended usage.

Fahkrin
10-01-2007, 05:24 PM
It would never happen unless they could code it in such a way that you couldn't use it to jump through barriers, etc. But how could they really do that if it's truly an "unstick"? I don't see them knowingly introducing a new feature into the game that is ripe for unintended usage.

As muffinlad pointed out, most MMO's already have this feature. I used it in City of Heroes; it's not a ground-breaking new feature here.

It would simply be moving 2-3 feet in the direction you already went, and make it so that you can't go through portals.

It would be great even if they don't retrofit old content; just make it so that it works on content from this point forward. That wouldn't be ideal, but it would probably make it more likely to get done.

Harncw
10-01-2007, 05:32 PM
(Though even a first level wizard has a chance to use a DD scroll successfully.)

there are min lvl restrictions on that scroll...

Mad_Bombardier
10-01-2007, 06:04 PM
(Though even a first level wizard has a chance to use a DD scroll successfully.)

there are min lvl restrictions on that scroll...Correct. MT should have said, "Though even a 5th level character with 1 level of Bard, Wizard, or Sorcerer has a chance to use a DD scroll successfully."

muffinlad
10-01-2007, 06:04 PM
As muffinlad pointed out, most MMO's already have this feature. I used it in City of Heroes; it's not a ground-breaking new feature here.

It would simply be moving 2-3 feet in the direction you already went, and make it so that you can't go through portals.

It would be great even if they don't retrofit old content; just make it so that it works on content from this point forward. That wouldn't be ideal, but it would probably make it more likely to get done.

Exactly....the times that the old "Slappin Sissy" or even the original "muffinlad" would be fighting the legions of Nemisis and get hung up using Super Speed in some crack they could not get out of was more frequent than I would have liked.

I would still be playing COH today if it was not for "Enhancement Diversification" being simply the last straw in a long line of respecs, and the /stuck command was a solid bit of programming.

Saying that it would have to be checked to make sure it could not be exploited...well, really, that should go without saying, and go with the requirement that the Sun rise and set.....however, I do understand that exploits are possible with any code, and the Devs should be spotting that.

Regs,

muffinprospector.

Spectralist
10-01-2007, 08:21 PM

City of Heroes has a much more linear, and simple gameplay. There are rarely doors or the like that would be a big deal if you could TP through them with an unstuck command.

One of the problems with that is that portals and other collision objects are likely all treated the same by the code.

Edit:
I should also point out that it could cause more harm then good, perhaps teleporting you outside of the world, and causing you to fall indefinitely.

MysticTheurge
10-01-2007, 11:41 PM
Edit:
I should also point out that it could cause more harm then good, perhaps teleporting you outside of the world, and causing you to fall indefinitely.

I've been there. I fell through the Daanvi room before they fixed it.

MacDaddy89
10-02-2007, 07:42 AM

Nice try. Lvl 1-4 Characters have absolutely ZERO (0%) chance of using a DD scroll...

Fahkrin
10-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if they could though?

One way that I think this could be done would be to just move 3 feet up and 1 foot back. And exploits could be avoided by making it so that you have to have been still for 10 seconds before hand; no extending jump height. And make it so that your backwards movement can't go through walls; so no exploiting there either.

Memnir
10-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Recall out - reenter quest.
I did it yesterday when I got my fighter stuck in Madstone.

MysticTheurge
10-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Recall out - reenter quest.
I did it yesterday when I got my fighter stuck in Madstone.

Again, that doesn't work for low-level characters (who actually need the XP) or when you're not actually in a quest, but just gallivanting around Stormreach.

Sertrynus
10-02-2007, 07:35 PM
As pointed out before, most MMOs have an /unstick command, even SWG had the command. It would just move you to a certain point in the room, devs could even set a point in the room that the /unstick command could go to.

Just throwing a thought out there that could get the command in and not have it abused, but i'm sure there is a way that i'm not thinking off.......

MysticTheurge
10-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Honestly, while this sounds like a good idea, it seems to me that every single possible implementation you could come up with might break certain puzzles/quests/etc and/or be far too much work (i.e. involve going through each quest and setting areas and spots and such).

Fahkrin
10-03-2007, 11:30 AM
Not really though. If you make the it two separate movements (move up then back) you should be able to make it so that you don't have to go through any invisible walls.

We'll never know unless the devs tell us why it can't be done though.

Spectralist
10-03-2007, 12:48 PM
As pointed out before, most MMOs have an /unstick command, even SWG had the command. It would just move you to a certain point in the room, devs could even set a point in the room that the /unstick command could go to.

Setting every unstick location manually would be about the only way to make it un-exploitable. But that would mean they have to set a lot of locations, likely needing several per instance, since if it just went back to the instance exit it would be exploitable as a free DD. Even then however you would likely be able to use it to exploit/stall the AI. Of course it could take a few seconds and be interruptible, but it would still be usable that way just harder, and i think sometimes when you get stuck you become unable to to use interruptible commands. I've only been stuck once so i'm not sure of that though.