PDA

View Full Version : Mod 5 Questions

Aurora11
09-28-2007, 11:43 AM
What are these red Xs on items and why don't i see items specs when I hover over any item?

Rekker
09-28-2007, 11:49 AM
What are these red Xs on items and why don't i see items specs when I hover over any item?

Red X means you don't meet the requirements to use it. The item bug is here...http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=122319

Mad_Bombardier
09-28-2007, 11:59 AM
Even then, it's not perfect. My Candy Cane (usable by all classes) has a red border and X for me. But, when I handed it to both a Cleric and Sorc, they had yellow border and !. Similarly incorrect are Raise Dead scrolls. A level 7 Cleric who can use Raise Dead with a caster level check had red border with X (seemingly should be yellow border with ! meaning non-proficient/limited use).

blakbyrd
09-28-2007, 02:47 PM
The 'X' is intended to mean you are the wrong class/race or not proficient with the item. However they do not take into account whether UMD will allow you to use it, and thus the X will remain even if your UMD allows you to use it.

The lack of descriptions I believe can be turned back on in the Options panel UI settings I think, unless I misunderstood your situation.

One other oddity I have noticed is on items with magical abilities (clickies mainly). They simply state a spell it can do, with an icon, yet there is no description of what the spell itself does (for those who may not know what it does), and you cannot mouse over the spell icon as the whole description goes away once you mouse leaves the item in question. So, for instance, if you get a helm of exhaustion, and want to know what the exhaustion spell does, you;ll have to ask someone ro go find a scroll to look at, as the item description will no longer tell you.

Mad_Bombardier
09-28-2007, 02:50 PM
The 'X' is intended to mean you are the wrong class/race or not proficient with the item. However they do not take into account whether UMD will allow you to use it, and thus the X will remain even if your UMD allows you to use it.UMD is considered. My Bard has all yellow borders with ! for UMD-able scrolls and wands. It even lists my success rate %.

One other oddity I have noticed is on items with magical abilities (clickies mainly). They simply state a spell it can do, with an icon, yet there is no description of what the spell itself does (for those who may not know what it does), and you cannot mouse over the spell icon as the whole description goes away once you mouse leaves the item in question. So, for instance, if you get a helm of exhaustion, and want to know what the exhaustion spell does, you;ll have to ask someone ro go find a scroll to look at, as the item description will no longer tell you.Covered in the Known Issues thread. You can mouseover the spell in the item UI for spell/clicky description.

Aurora11
09-28-2007, 03:34 PM
My mouseover isn't working at all! Has anyone else had this issue?

blakbyrd
09-28-2007, 04:03 PM
My mouseover isn't working at all! Has anyone else had this issue?

Isnt working for me. However I should elaborate as I cannot even test it really.

Example: Helm of Exhaustion. I put cursor on helm icon in inventory and the description window pops up with the exhaustion spell icon in the description. However the spell icon is about 3 inches below the helm icon I have my cursor on. As soon as I move the cursor off the helm icon to try to put it on the spell icon in the description, the description goes away entirely before my cursor can ever reach the spell icon to start with.

Granted I know what these spells do anyways, so to me it is no big deal. But several discussions abuot similar situations came up in the guild about how difficult some of these things would be to new players who don;t know these things and thus are unable to find the descriptions now.

Mad_Bombardier
09-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Isnt working for me. However I should elaborate as I cannot even test it really.

Example: Helm of Exhaustion. I put cursor on helm icon in inventory and the description window pops up with the exhaustion spell icon in the description. However the spell icon is about 3 inches below the helm icon I have my cursor on. As soon as I move the cursor off the helm icon to try to put it on the spell icon in the description, the description goes away entirely before my cursor can ever reach the spell icon to start with.Ok, now that's the problem I was having, too. Sorry, I didn't read correctly earlier. :o

I posted about it and got suggestions, here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=122542 I just haven't had the chance to test the suggestions out.

Aurora11
09-28-2007, 11:27 PM
Enabling tool tips solved the problem but the developers should be aware of this issue.

Snike
09-28-2007, 11:33 PM
Target the Item then hit the magnafy glass icon on the target's picture window, to manually examine the item and get the description window up. From there you can hover your cursor over the spell icon. Temp work-around.