PDA

View Full Version : Elemental/Alignment effects on weapons suck

Lillitheris
09-28-2007, 06:56 AM
I'm hoping this is just a bug and not an intentional change.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, check the graphical effects on your weapons. True Law/Axiomatic is the best one. The 'sparks' fly out in sync with each other. Now take a look at your other weapons and you'll notice the same 'in sync' pattern. Ugly as hell and so '99.

Devs, please change this to the way it was pre-Mod5, whether it's a bug or not.

Knightrose
09-28-2007, 07:00 AM
Yeah I noticed it with Holy weapons too. They look fugly now. Feels like I'm playing Asherons Call :p

MysticTheurge
09-28-2007, 07:29 AM
Is this maybe because of the same thing that's making other people look all jerky?

JelloMold
09-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Was this in the new content areas? I was running lowbie stuff last night and didn't see anything odd. As a side note, it was kind of interesting breaking barrels and hearing the sarcophogus smashing sound. I kept looking around for skeletons.

Vorn
09-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Yep, my flaming and holy b.swords look like kababs. We posted about this on the Risia feedback forums as well.

llevenbaxx
09-28-2007, 07:58 AM
Is this maybe because of the same thing that's making other people look all jerky?

Thought I read that somewhere too.

I was sure running smoother than usual, if this is why, then thanks. Can only run at medium anyway so no big loss on the graphic here.

Dane_McArdy
09-28-2007, 08:36 AM
I'm hoping this is just a bug and not an intentional change.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, check the graphical effects on your weapons. True Law/Axiomatic is the best one. The 'sparks' fly out in sync with each other. Now take a look at your other weapons and you'll notice the same 'in sync' pattern. Ugly as hell and so '99.

Devs, please change this to the way it was pre-Mod5, whether it's a bug or not.

it's on most particle effects I noticed, like blur and such.

Mad_Bombardier
09-28-2007, 09:35 AM
Yep, my flaming and holy b.swords look like kebabs. That's what my guildie said, "Who put marshmallows on my sword?!" :D

oronisi
09-28-2007, 09:57 AM
I hope this is a bug, and those graphic effects are only meant for lower settings. I had no problem rendering weapon effects before, and the new ones look like poo.

Standpoint
09-28-2007, 11:18 AM
I was going crazy last night, no one I was running with said they saw any difference to the way the weapons looked. But I definitely noticed the difference, and agree, it looks goofy compared to what they looked like before. I really hope this is temporary.

Memnir
09-28-2007, 11:25 AM
If the new effect is a bug - please fix it.
If it's not a new bug - please go back to the pre-Mod 5 particle effects.

As it is now, weapons look fairly bad since the particle effects look sloppy and chunky. Holy and Pure Good effects were hit the worst by the new visuals. The old "holy fire" looked amazing - and the new looks like something that would have/should have been ironed out in a beta test. The only exception is True Law, which now looks pretty nice.

Please, please, please fix/go back. The weapon effects in this game have always rocked. Till now.

Impaqt
09-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Graphic settings were reset withthe mod/New engine. Do a new "Check for Optimal Settings" or reset your setting back to where they were.

I noticed no major difference in weapon efect... But then again.. I wasnt paying that much attention to them. But if the change was this drastic I think I would of noticed.

Litz
09-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Graphic settings were reset withthe mod/New engine. Do a new "Check for Optimal Settings" or reset your setting back to where they were.

I noticed no major difference in weapon efect... But then again.. I wasnt paying that much attention to them. But if the change was this drastic I think I would of noticed.

Did that with a fancy new grafic card with more than nuff muscle for DDO and it still sux and does the "In-Sync" effect that has been mentioned. Reminds me of the old Fighter Epic wepons from EQ1..

WilbyZ
09-28-2007, 11:54 AM
The weapon effects all look like 'donut twirls' now lol... how crummy.

mmm... doonnuutts :D

Standpoint
09-28-2007, 01:17 PM

Im wondering if its a bug w/ particular graphics cards, or game wide. I think those that noticed it the most were those who were running the game at the highest settings prior to the new mod. Maybe those who were running a med settings or wahtever aren't noticing because they didn't see how great the weapons looked prior?

So, game bug, or poss. bug w/ nvidia cards?

Impaqt
09-28-2007, 02:29 PM
I'll take closer notice tonight... But I run a 8800GTX NVidia Card.. Which I think is still the top card on the market... at 1680x1050 res.. all HIgh/Very High Settings.

Mad_Bombardier
09-28-2007, 02:33 PM
So, game bug, or poss. bug w/ nvidia cards?When you asked, I went to nVidia and saw that that just released new drivers on Sept 27. I'm all installed and will let you know when I get in game later if there's any difference.

Deragoth
09-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Sweet! I thought I was the only one seeing this ****.

Speaking of new drivers...

I even installed the latest ATI drivers (v7.9) assuming a driver issue, which promptly broke DDO. Go figure... so I stepped back to v7.8.

Staedtler
09-28-2007, 03:35 PM
When I blur myself I become the Michelin man.

Oh, and my sword is now filled with flaming meatballs.

:(

Akhad_Durn
09-28-2007, 06:29 PM
I loved the effects before this, I hope that this isn't an intentional change.

The graphics were one of the biggest draws for me to this game. Now all of the cool 'random' effects have become sync'd and its driving me crazy. I'm good at spotting patterns (my job requires it), now I'm seeing many things are all sync'd up. I hope this isn't an optimization to lowwer the amount of animations that they're running at any given point.

Lots of things other than the weapon effects are in sync now. One that I remeber specifically is that all the rings coming off the pillings in the harbor are now in sync now. :(

Glenalth
09-28-2007, 08:54 PM
If you look closely, it's not that all the random bits are in sync, but that there are multiple instances of the effect on the weapon. So you get 6 or so repetitions of the 1 effect that is supposed to be on there.

GHOSTRYDER
09-28-2007, 10:15 PM
If you look closely, it's not that all the random bits are in sync, but that there are multiple instances of the effect on the weapon. So you get 6 or so repetitions of the 1 effect that is supposed to be on there.

also did anyone notice that EVERYONES weapons are in sync with eachother? stand next to a friend and your weapons look like twins, pretty lame... sorry if it's already been mentioned

Lillitheris
09-29-2007, 05:57 AM
also did anyone notice that EVERYONES weapons are in sync with eachother? stand next to a friend and your weapons look like twins, pretty lame... sorry if it's already been mentioned

Thanks, I'll have to check this one out.

Devs, c'mon. Weak. Can we at least have official word on this?

Lithic
09-29-2007, 08:52 AM
Im having the same weapon effect problems.

Are you guys also getting the "Make everyone a dwarf" effect? It looks like everything is squished vertically (or stretched horizontally) and its killing the immersion for me. I'm glad I wont be able to log in much for the next 2 weeks so they can get this fixed.

Oddly enough, the character selection screen is perfectly fine. Its only ingame that I get the dwarf effect.

AmsterdamHeavy
09-29-2007, 09:02 AM
Ummm yeaahhhh.....

Not digging this particular change much, everything looks brown...and spongey.

Mad_Bombardier
09-29-2007, 10:14 AM
Are you guys also getting the "Make everyone a dwarf" effect? It looks like everything is squished vertically (or stretched horizontally) and its killing the immersion for me. I'm glad I wont be able to log in much for the next 2 weeks so they can get this fixed.

Oddly enough, the character selection screen is perfectly fine. Its only ingame that I get the dwarf effect.Yes Lithic. I started my own thread about it on Risia. Since then, I have only contributed to others' threads, and they keep getting pushed off page 1. I suppose I will have to create a new thread of my own. ;)