PDA

View Full Version : In-game help system update: Spam category

Tolero
09-26-2007, 12:44 PM
We are committed to improving the quality of game experience for our players, and we take disruption of our customers game play very seriously. In the continual effort to reduce unwanted in-game communications from plat-farmers, we are happy to announce a new addition to the in-game help system categories: "spam"

Spamming is defined as the unwanted repetitive messaging of other players through chat or in-game mail. To report a player for spamming, type a brief description of the issue, enter the first name of the player, and click the submit button. A Game Master will respond to your request as quickly as possible, in the order in which it was received. Note that you will not be informed of any disciplinary actions taken against another player.

Please use this new category to report spam messages.

Thank you for all your in-game reports and feedback, and keep them coming!

Coldin
09-26-2007, 12:47 PM
Let me just say "Woot!"

Finally I don't have to guess which category to submit those stupid spam names under. Now if we could just get them to stop altogether.

Solstice
09-26-2007, 12:54 PM
and the issue about error on copy and paste in help window? this could makes the reports from players better :)

someone told about compatibility between keyboard and language system, but dunno about this be correct or not

Gratch
09-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Thanks Tolero.

Now we just need the ability to add filter keywords to the in game mail system and /t's. Given we would want them across toons, you could add it to the character selection screen. Feel free to default trade4game and mmobay.

Weren't we also going to get an option for "Ignore tells from trial accounts that are not in my friends list or guild". If it's a per toon option then people trying to help trial accounts users in the harbor can turn off the ignore.

Mercules
09-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Spamming is defined as the unwanted repetitive messaging of other players through chat or in-game mail.

Does advertising trades or sales in the LFM tab count as spam and should it be reported under this category as well? It doesn't fit neatly into any other category and this would be the closest in my opinion.

Ustice
09-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks Tolero, this is great to know.

One problem though... Whenever I to into the help system, it changes the game from full screen, and also changes the resolution when I go back into the game. The entire process of going in there to playing again can take up to 10 minutes (including filling out all the extraneous info). Has this been addressed?

Riddikulus
09-26-2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks Tolero, this is great to know.

One problem though... Whenever I to into the help system, it changes the game from full screen, and also changes the resolution when I go back into the game. The entire process of going in there to playing again can take up to 10 minutes (including filling out all the extraneous info). Has this been addressed?
There is a setting which changes the behavior so that it opens the window without going to full screen.

I can't remember what it is off-hand... I'll look it up tonight if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Cashiry
09-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Wanted to check if Lotro was doing the same... Its good to see Turbine finally doing more on this subject.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?&postid=1140719#post1140719

Mad_Bombardier
09-26-2007, 01:23 PM
My current problems with reporting spammers is that they have typically deleted their character by the time I get to report. You cannot submit a Harassment (for online spammers) or Cheating (for offline/mail spam) report if the character has been deleted.

I hope that the new "spam" category allows us to submit the name in all cases, so it can be traced to account and credit card for blocking/banning. Heck, I've even gotten plat seller spam mail from the exact same name a week or two later. But, the person was untracable in the meantime. I assume the spammer deleted the name to stop traces and recreated using the same name, later.

Litz
09-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Thank You

GreenGurgler
09-26-2007, 01:24 PM
and the issue about error on copy and paste in help window? this could makes the reports from players better :)

someone told about compatibility between keyboard and language system, but dunno about this be correct or not

Yeah, here here to that!
I used to be able to copy & paste in game, but in the last couple of months this simply does not work. I have not changed keyboards at all.

It definetly would make repoting spammers alot easier.

Mad_Bombardier
09-26-2007, 01:26 PM
and the issue about error on copy and paste in help window? this could makes the reports from players better :)GMs can track your chat history and your mail history. So, copying the exact message is not necessary. Just type a quick note, "plat seller spam tell" or "plat seller spam mail" and the GM can investigate from there.

Spookydodger
09-26-2007, 01:35 PM
... communications from plat-farmers, we are happy to announce a new addition to the in-game help system catagories: "spam"

I'm not feeling it. I don't see how this really helps much except it puts a categorization on particular help requests/complaints... If anything it could be used to more easily focus on "real" requests more than spam complaints.

If it included an easy way to flag a mail message as spam (by far the largest culprit in my world), then that would be one thing.

Really, though, it just seems like a streamlined interface and category for reporting one particular type of complaint, but you really had that anyhow (only a couple of fields were really required for an accurate report, before...)

Correct me if I'm wrong here. This seems underwhelming.

Tolero
09-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Concerning the use of the LFM windows as a classified section:

Reports on trades/sales in LFM should be reported under 'harassment' and not using the new spam feature.

rfachini
09-26-2007, 02:15 PM
I'd like to see a "report as spam" or just "spam" button in our mail UI. To prevent mistakes a "Do you want to report this mail as spam?" box could come up to confirm it.

We get so much spam that making the reporting of it as simple as possible will increase the number of reports that you get.

Mad_Bombardier
09-26-2007, 02:32 PM
I'd like to see a "report as spam" or just "spam" button in our mail UI. To prevent mistakes a "Do you want to report this mail as spam?" box could come up to confirm it.

We get so much spam that making the reporting of it as simple as possible will increase the number of reports that you get.Agreed. This is the simplest route as it does not require opening the help panel, nor any data entry. GMs will not discuss actions taken, respond to you, or even say anything beyond the cut/paste "thank you for your inquiry." So, why bother having it as a Help ticket at all? :confused:

redoubt
09-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Can we have a check box to say, "I don't need to be contacted about this."

I.e. I want to let you know I was spammed so you can hunt them down, but I don't need you to spend time contacting me about it.

Thanks.

Mercules
09-26-2007, 02:47 PM

Reports on trades/sales in LFM should be reported under 'harassment' and not using the new spam feature.

Thank you for the clarification 'harassment' is what I've been dropping them in and will continue to do so.

Agreed. This is the simplest route as it does not require opening the help panel, nor any data entry. GMs will not discuss actions taken, respond to you, or even say anything beyond the cut/paste "thank you for your inquiry." So, why bother having it as a Help ticket at all? :confused:

Probably because of how there "Trouble Ticket" system works. At my work we just started a new category for swapping a parallel version of a device we use for a USB version. The upper management had started to harass Development concerning this "Issue with these devices!" since we had so many trouble tickets concerning them. We still needed a way to track that they were sending in the device, so it goes through our "Incident" system and now Management will be told to ignore that swap category as those are not problems, just people buying new computers and needing an updated device. :p

Shamguard
09-26-2007, 02:57 PM

We get so much spam that making the reporting of it as simple as possible will increase the number of reports that you get.

There is an easy SPAM button. It's the one labled "Delete". Ya, I know it doesn't get reported that way, but if everyone just deleted the SPAM then maybe they'll give up.:cool: What good is the mail if no one reads it. OK, so I'm dreaming. Then again what does reporting them really do except get some free accounts shut down and maybe some looser accounts associated with the same credit card.:rolleyes: yawn.

I still would like a SPAM filter option so; only people in my guild or friends list can send me an e-mail, unless it has an attachment. (OH BOY, Free stuff from plat farmers. Like Copper pieces and prayer beads):D

Mad_Bombardier
09-26-2007, 03:38 PM
My current problems with reporting spammers is that they have typically deleted their character by the time I get to report. You cannot submit a Harassment (for online spammers) or Cheating (for offline/mail spam) report if the character has been deleted.

I hope that the new "spam" category allows us to submit the name in all cases, so it can be traced to account and credit card for blocking/banning. Heck, I've even gotten plat seller spam mail from the exact same name a week or two later. But, the person was untracable in the meantime. I assume the spammer deleted the name to stop traces and recreated using the same name, later.To answer my own question, I just used the "Spam" category when reporting spam mail. The seller was not on the WHO list, nor standing by the Harbor or Market mailbox (I checked in all multiple instances, too). From that, I believe the seller was offline. Still, I was able to report "Spam." And my report was responded to in less than 4 minutes. Hurray for a reporting mechanic that actually works! /cheer :)

Shiranai
09-26-2007, 04:08 PM
I am reported a couple of people as spammers when I see an unguilded name of asfdfasdf at the harbor mailbox at 6:15am PST. A few minutes later, that person was either logged off, or had logged off.

Personally, there are a couple of way to significantly reduce the spam we get.

1) do not allow unguilded lvl 2 or lower characters from sending more than 10 messages per hour. Even mules don't send that much mail.
2) Allow us to add our own filters based on content. (as was stated above: mmobay & trade4game).
3) Add a button (as stated above) to report the email as spam. All the details are in the message etc.. Use your own logs to better stop the problem than have us do your work for you.

#1 would be my first option so that the spammers can not spam...would take them days to do one set of mails. (BTW: It's all automated (aka macro), which Turbine stated it did not allow at all.)

We, as players, do appreciate making it easier to report the problem, but you are completely missing the point. MAKE IT GO AWAY! A reporting tool is only a band-aid to stop a jugular vein cut. If you were to actively try to stop it, it would make ALL of us much happier.

brootus31
09-26-2007, 04:42 PM
While I also hate the spam, I see one flaw with your first thought.

"1) do not allow unguilded lvl 2 or lower characters from sending more than 10 messages per hour. Even mules don't send that much mail."

Couldn't they just make a new guild for the character, spam away, then delete the character? It takes no time at all to get to lvl 3.

Riddikulus
09-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Better would be to simply disallow sending email to more than 10 different users per day.

This would still allow you to send a bunch of plat or equipment to your alts, for instance, but would prevent a spam mailer from emailing a whole server in less than a month or two.

Or even better... scale it by level:

level 1 = 1 email per day
level 2 = 4 emails per day
level 3 = 9 emails per day
level 4 = 16 emails per day

Spookydodger
09-26-2007, 05:23 PM
There is an easy SPAM button. It's the one labled "Delete". Ya, I know it doesn't get reported that way, but if everyone just deleted the SPAM then maybe they'll give up.:cool:

I suppose it makes people think they are contributing. And, I would wager, it gives GMs some information to base their investigations to conduct more effective stings. Certainly knowing about it wouldn't hurt to at least know how big a problem it is, overall.

Deleting it and forgetting it is a fine idea in most cases. Though, those that would just delete it, or mark it as spam, probably aren't the ones that are keeping them afloat.

~Treemarker
09-26-2007, 06:30 PM
and the issue about error on copy and paste in help window? this could makes the reports from players better

I quit reporting it because of this. :(

muffinlad
09-26-2007, 06:46 PM
While a good step, it is still not enough.

We need to take away the ability to send mail from TEMPORARY ACCOUNTS/7 days trials.

This is the origin of nearly 100% of all SPAM to mail accounts.

Regs,

muffinscribe

greystone306
09-26-2007, 07:07 PM
It'd be nice to possibly have a new button added to the mail dialog that is mark as spam...Most of the spam is easy to tell what it is.. maybe the button could delete the mail and automatically send a report.. not sure how feasible this would be and if it is even worth doing.. as it would require time away from quests and other content..

noneou
09-26-2007, 10:09 PM
I hate to be like this but as long as they make money here they will continue to spam us. It's really the saps who buy the plat who keep this going.

Do they suffer any consequences?
If they do not the plat sellers will ALWAYS find a way back in to get their real money.

Boulderun
09-26-2007, 11:33 PM

Or, more appropriately, should not be reported at all.

Ron
09-27-2007, 07:45 AM
How to Copy/Paste from the chat window to the bug report form

This CAN be done, though it is a bit non-obvious on how to do it. This is the method I use to copy /loc data to the bug report form in those cases where it isn't automatically put in. So I presume it should also work for copying spam messages over as well.

1) Highlight the message in your chat box using the mouse by dragging across the text you want to copy while holding down the left mouse button.
2) While the mouse is still over the chat box, hit Control-C
3) Now go to the bug report form and activate the input box you want to put the text into
4) Control-P doesn't work here. Instead, right click and select "Paste". Your text should be copied into the box

I haven't specifically used this to report spam, but I see no reason why it should not work just as well.

HTH

Riddikulus
09-27-2007, 08:02 AM
How to Copy/Paste from the chat window to the bug report form

This CAN be done, though it is a bit non-obvious on how to do it. This is the method I use to copy /loc data to the bug report form in those cases where it isn't automatically put in. So I presume it should also work for copying spam messages over as well.

1) Highlight the message in your chat box using the mouse by dragging across the text you want to copy while holding down the left mouse button.
2) While the mouse is still over the chat box, hit Control-C
3) Now go to the bug report form and activate the input box you want to put the text into
4) Control-P doesn't work here. Instead, right click and select "Paste". Your text should be copied into the box

I haven't specifically used this to report spam, but I see no reason why it should not work just as well.

HTH
Have you done this recently?

Because I haven't been able to get Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V to work in quite some time and that's basically the same principle.

DZX
09-29-2007, 12:54 AM
Tolero it seems like there is a relatively easy solution stamp out mail spam. Add checkboxes under the UI settings which will make it so that you only accept mail from certain groups of people.

[ ] Accept Mail From Guild Members
[ ] Accept Mail From Friends List
[ ] Accept Mail from All Players

Then you just toggle on which ones you want to accept the mail from. From my side it seems a simple solution, maybe it would take some time for them to code properly, but it would be a great way to cut down on the spam.

Obviously GM/Dev Mail, Auction Mail would never be filtered.

NiasTrams
12-10-2007, 02:45 AM
Tolero stated, "...Note that you will not be informed of any disciplinary actions taken against another player..."

Personally, I will wait until DDO makes a thread that actually post the names of user accounts and sites they were spamming for before I start taking my time I am paying for to contribute to the cause of stopping spam, until then I will continue ignoring and deleting.

I would like to see a "Spam Update Thread":

Something like;

bfghtrd paying account frozen for sending mail spam, $14.99 kept for TOS violation; trade2gamers.com
farmerjohn trial account frozen for sending /T spam; trade2gamers.com
etc...
etc...

An actual thread showing Turbine is taking a serious part in fighting spam and leaving no room for wondering if Turbine isn't turning a blind eye to accounts who are paying to be on DDO since it was announced elsewhere, Tolero stated, "...One such feature was to disallow in-game mail to be sent by trial accounts..."; http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=126004. I am still getting a lot of spam mail, not just tells.

Iroth
12-10-2007, 08:31 AM
I've posted this in another post, but I thought might as well post here too.

Why not put a level limit on outgoing mail? I think that if you put a level cap of level 4 on outgoing mail, most spammers wouldn't want to go through the trouble to level up so that they can spam. I've talked with several friends in game and they agree. I wanted to at least propose the idea. I don't seem to get that many in-game tells, but my only thought is that if you are on a trial or under level 4 you should only be able to tell to a maximum of 5 separate characters per hour unless you got a tell first and then you can reply as much as you want. I don't think it takes too much effort to get to level 4 anyway, but you shouldn't get too many good things to mail to your other characters under level 4 anyway (that's why there's a bank) and who tells more than 5 people in an hour other than spammers?

Iroth

Hendrik
12-10-2007, 09:49 AM
While a good step, it is still not enough.

We need to take away the ability to send mail from TEMPORARY ACCOUNTS/7 days trials.

This is the origin of nearly 100% of all SPAM to mail accounts.

Regs,

muffinscribe

QFT/H

jmelanie7
12-10-2007, 10:03 AM

I hope that the new "spam" category allows us to submit the name in all cases, so it can be traced to account and credit card for blocking/banning. Heck, I've even gotten plat seller spam mail from the exact same name a week or two later. But, the person was untracable in the meantime. I assume the spammer deleted the name to stop traces and recreated using the same name, later.

Here's how it works, if they got a brain, the accounts in which they spamm are free trial accounts, while the accounts in which they physically farm all those plats and items are real accounts. When they spamm in your mail, they don't care about their accounts to be deleted, since there is no items, neither is plats on this account, it's STRICTLY for spamming, so sorry Turbine, your Spam section won't work. Again, I hate to see my mail filled by those ******, but we have to live with it.........The only way to get rid of those plat farmers is to KNOW how they do it first, so you don't release tools for nothing.....

Mad_Bombardier
12-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Since it was necro'd I'd liked to point out again that Trial Accounts can no longer send mail. All those mail spams are coming from paid subscription accounts! Take 2 minutes to report them so they get banned and the spammers lose money. Businesses that lose money don't stay in business for very long. :)

aTsunami
12-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Do they get banned? DDO weon't tell us what happens to accounts we report.

Mad_Bombardier
12-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Do they get banned? DDO weon't tell us what happens to accounts we report.In the Town Hall meeting, Quarion said that over 3000 accounts were banned in one fell swoop. So, yes Virginia. There is a Ban-a-Claus. :)

Falco_Easts
12-11-2007, 04:24 PM

/Signed

norman_quickfinger
01-11-2008, 04:42 PM
The spammers are using the 7 day free trial to send all the spams. Since it is a FREE TRIAL and you don't get full access with it. The Devs need to simply remove use of tells and mail from it. That way if they really want to spam us. They have to pay for a month of game use. Then money will atleast come back into the game.

Keedar
01-21-2008, 09:22 AM
I don't want to flame anyone or put down what you've done here, but it simply is not enough and is too cumbersome to actually work.

Please take the time to code in a new command:

/report or /spamreport <username>

Simple, direct, no calling up new windows, etc. In short, don't complicate the process or people like me won't bother with reporting. It's far simpler to /ignore add <name> and send the idiot a flame tell back. :) I do sincerely hope these idiots report me.

Ciao all.

Prestolina
01-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Only allow Mail and messages to be sent by paid accounts.

or

Create a trial server and when the user converts to a paid account they can choose what server they want to be copied to.

Leo.....

Mugsey
01-30-2008, 06:00 AM
Seeing the spamming and Plat Farmer email increase has given me great joy. This tells me that DDO is growing.
The subscriber base is increasing. Yes, its annoying but very uplifting at the same time.:)

Early
04-03-2008, 07:59 AM
Several suggestions have been made to correct this problem. Fact is, if you honestly wanted to stop this activity, you would.

When I get a tell, I right click the name and report for harrassment. If you want this reported another way, add that option to the right click window as it's far easier to report.

You're blowing smoke with this resolution, and you're not accomplishing anything but banning free trial accounts which is accomplishing nothing...obviously.

Falco_Easts
04-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Several suggestions have been made to correct this problem. Fact is, if you honestly wanted to stop this activity, you would.

When I get a tell, I right click the name and report for harrassment. If you want this reported another way, add that option to the right click window as it's far easier to report.

You're blowing smoke with this resolution, and you're not accomplishing anything but banning free trial accounts which is accomplishing nothing...obviously.

Necro aside, what do you suggest they do about it? How can they fix it? What else can they do?
Since the last mod, I got my first spam bit of mail today. Went to unconfirmed, hit delete and it was gone.
I am getting a lot more tells, but bang, 2 clicks and they are reported. And yes, the "Report Harrasment" is what you are meant to use for spam tells. They don;t need to add another way.
I am sure they are collating a lot of information on the spammers through the new method because I beleive most people will report them now it is so easy. They will eb collecting CC details and ISP addresses and banning in chunks. What more can you suggest they do?

borgx
04-04-2008, 02:37 AM
What more can you suggest they do?

The simple fix is to remove trial accounts access to /tell (/t) and only allow access to /reply (/r). They could even go so far as to allow trial accounts to use /tell only if that person has sent them a /tell or /reply in the last 30 minutes.

Early
04-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Necro aside, what do you suggest they do about it? How can they fix it? What else can they do?
Since the last mod, I got my first spam bit of mail today. Went to unconfirmed, hit delete and it was gone.
I am getting a lot more tells, but bang, 2 clicks and they are reported. And yes, the "Report Harrasment" is what you are meant to use for spam tells. They don;t need to add another way.
I am sure they are collating a lot of information on the spammers through the new method because I beleive most people will report them now it is so easy. They will eb collecting CC details and ISP addresses and banning in chunks. What more can you suggest they do?

you are making assumptions. YOU may be sure they are collecting information, collecting CC details (which is totally off considering you don't need a CC for a trial account) and banning IP addresses...however a 2 year track record, with an increase in tells, proves they are making an insignificant effort. There has been ample time to make even an adjustment (as the poster above said) by not allowing trial accounts to send tells.

Irked
05-23-2008, 04:28 PM
We are at what 1.3 million reports of harrasing tells? To the average player it looks like nothing is being done at all. I would just ask for a button that denies all tells that are not from an active paid account. I DON'T WANT TELLS FROM TRIAL ACCOUNTS. Is that really so hard?

Quanefel
05-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Although I applaud the effort and thought put into this spam reporting feature by the fine people at Turbine, I can not agree to the effectiveness of it.

Simply put, plat spammers are using quickly made trial accounts and are logged off/account deleted within a few seconds of sending out mass spams to players. How exactly has us reporting them going to make any difference at all? It seems nothing more than a feel-good approach to the problem without actually doing anything about the problem.

Many of us have come up with ideas on how to curb the number of tells sent out by trial account users, some ideas better than others but ideas nonetheless. It could be something simple as us not getting any "ding" from trial account users. The message, yes. But without that "ding" noise we more than likely will never know a spam message was even sent. Others have suggested a no tells from trial accounts check box they could use to ignore spammers altogether. Either way they are still good ideas for further exploring this topic and maybe fixing it the way it really needs to be fixed. It all comes down to the trial accounts regardless and effort needs focused in that area.

Thanks for listening a good luck to you all on this. I hope you find a workable solution to this.

Vhailor
06-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Spam is great with eggs! (OK, it's not). Many games have resorted to locking out the mail system and general chat for 30 days on the creation of new characters. I would not mind at all since I don't like to tweak out my new characters to make game play more fun.

You have to admit that going into a dungeon with a guy who is a tweaked out level 2 is frustrating, especially when they brag about how good they are with their old style rare star of irian or maelstrom (they were level 2 way back when) as they kill every elite creature with one blow and take less damage with thier +2 adamantine full plate or block items.

the point is it will eliminate most (98&#37;) of spam.

Or maybe you could just add a flag onto noob characters so others can turn them off by checking the Ignore noobs button under UI.

Hakushi
06-11-2008, 11:38 PM
the point is it will eliminate most (98%) of spam.

The problem is: 99.9% of spams are tells, spammers don't use mail anymore. I think removing the ability to copy and paste in the chat for trial accounts and a limitation of the number of tells a trial account can send might help a lot to solve this problem.