PDA

View Full Version : What New Race Do You Want To See The Most?

Twerpp
09-25-2007, 03:09 PM
What new race would really get you excited? Why? What race would bring more players to the game and keep your interest? Which would you be most likely to roll? Does not have to be a core race (half-elf, half-orc, gnome) can be Eberron specific (Shifters, Changelings, Kalashtar, Psiforged, Daelkyr Half-Blood) or from other D&D sources.

I would say Half-Orc simply because of the potential starting strength of 20 and possibly the enhancement system supporting more racial STR bonuses or damage boosts, and possibly a nice favored weapon bonus (falchions maybe? maybe even see the double mace finally?) and other enhancements.

MDS_Geist
09-25-2007, 03:15 PM
Kalashtar. They're a core Eberron race with a cool backstory. They're already mentioned in one quest.

Raiderone
09-25-2007, 03:18 PM
I say let's be creative and break all the molds. Sure you can add Half-Orc
and Gnome. But let's face it we have all played them before.

Maybe not in this game but in other D&D Games.

I want Vampires and Werewolfs like in Underworld Evolution.
Okay I know they aren't possible.

Maybe a new race of Men...

llevenbaxx
09-25-2007, 03:18 PM
Id like to see more Campaign specific races. Shifter would prolly be the number one pick, something with a really unique ability to showcase. Prolly the same reason they are likily the last thing we will see though.

Although they should really be hear, half-orc is prolly the last race Id like to see put in. Im sure they would put the enhancement line in and with that and the higher starting strength an army of half orc barbarians would rise up and threaten to take over Stormreach. Just hate the idea of a new MAX achievable in a game where the maxes are already too high. Im sure that fact isnt lost on Turbine also.

Gratch
09-25-2007, 03:24 PM
I think we've had this thread before... wait... maybe not... where's Q with the release day info anyways?

Either way. I want minotaurs. DDO has the animations already and the better-than-click-n-cooldown fighting system... so give me my bull-rush already... with horns leading. Even fine if they do it with the effective level approach or not (*cough* drow). Oh... and give them the large creature ability to hurl your dwarven companions. And since we don't want them everywhere... how about as a favor: 2500 reward. All the "I only play once every 5 fortnight players" can go half-orc, half-elf and populate the rest of Stormreach for my Minostar.

Everything else except Warforged feels too much like elf.

Oh and since Atari is so *we can't advertise unless there's a box*. Feel free to package Minotaurs (unlockable), Half-Elves, Half-Orcs and Monks in an expansion pack for $30 (that comes with a 1-month free DDO card - so under $20 for us lifers).

Make it so. And the Minotaur dance better be "all upons".

-Gratch *self ascribed DDO psuedo producer* (works for cheap as free)

Brianius
09-25-2007, 03:24 PM
i want a kobold
that is all

Stasis
09-25-2007, 03:30 PM
pherangi

ccheath776
09-25-2007, 03:31 PM
What new race would really get you excited? Why? What race would bring more players to the game and keep your interest? Which would you be most likely to roll? Does not have to be a core race (half-elf, half-orc, gnome) can be Eberron specific (Shifters, Changelings, Kalashtar, Psiforged, Daelkyr Half-Blood) or from other D&D sources.

I would say Half-Orc simply because of the potential starting strength of 20 and possibly the enhancement system supporting more racial STR bonuses or damage boosts, and possibly a nice favored weapon bonus (falchions maybe? maybe even see the double mace finally?) and other enhancements.

Kalashtar and/or shifters.

Both would be difficult to implement though.
But as far as preference definately shifters.

As for class. Aside from monks I would say druids and psionist

Twerpp
09-25-2007, 03:36 PM
I hear ya Gratch Minos rock I've wanted to be one ever since Helos stomped me into the ground. Those huge axes of theirs have the best graphic in the game too. Large races open up a lot of other possibilities, large weapons, feats, and prestige classes that have Large as a pre-req. Also it could bring the monkey-grip feat allowing them to dual wield large weapons and allowing medium characters to use large weapons.

Gratch
09-25-2007, 03:37 PM
Kalashtar. They're a core Eberron race with a cool backstory. They're already mentioned in one quest.

They've already said no Kalashtar due to no ability to add psionics. That said, it would be nice if they'd add in at least one quest chain using Kalashtar NPC's or even mobs. (They can fake psionics on mobs as they do with mindflayers). I'm thinking Von2: Prison of the Mind style, but multiple quests and get Keith Baker to outline it. :)

As to Shifters... probably the only easy'ish race to add. For being Eberron I'd prefer them over the currently planned half-elves (unless the other half of that elf is dragon or centaur or such).

The current plan of record (http://www.ddo.com/article/845) is still Half Orcs and Half Elves.

Litz
09-25-2007, 03:37 PM
I vote Kalashtar

Deriaz
09-25-2007, 03:38 PM
i want a kobold
that is all

Make that double for me. :cool:

-D

axebender
09-25-2007, 03:40 PM
leprachaun nuff said

Ghoste
09-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Kalashtar? If they put them in along with psionics, then I'd love to see psiforged as well.

bobbryan2
09-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Tieflings and Aasimar.

But only after Gnomes and Half-orcs.

Leave the half-elves outta here.

skraus1
09-25-2007, 03:46 PM
I want Kobolds and half-orcs.

Half-elves are so 2nd ed.

Furgulder
09-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Arent Psiforged just WF with a feat?

Kalashtar (add Psionics)

Shifters

Gnomes

Aasimar

Tieflings

ErgonomicCat
09-25-2007, 03:50 PM
I would like to see Shifters.

Because Shifters as a race have a huge potential, but require such a huge investment that I can never bring myself to play one. You can always make a more effective non-shifter character....

However, all of the Shifter feats would be perfectly redone as enhancements.

As feats, they're not worth what you get for them.

As enhancements in a game with rest shrines resetting your use/day, they would be awesome.

Hence
09-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Daelkyr Half-Blood

Dont know what they are, but they sound good.

Ghoste
09-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Arent Psiforged just WF with a feat?

Yes and no.

From a pure game mechanics point of view, yes they are just warforged who take the psiforged body feat (interestingly the only body feat that does not alter composite plating).

From a story point of view, they are warforged of unknown origins (ie. not created in the creation forges by House C). Because of their psionic nature, it is reasonable to assume they were created by the quori and then taught to use psionic powers.

So ya, if psionics were implemented, psiforged would be a really minor detail to add.

The Magic of Eberron book also talks about an artificer spin-off class based on psionics instead of magic; psionic-artificers.

Charmazal
09-25-2007, 04:26 PM
gnome and half orc

Gratch
09-25-2007, 04:31 PM
You're all saying a lot of "elf". Anything else interesting? Any other monsters as player races that might fit Eberron?

"This gnome/kalashtar/shifter/halforc meat sure tastes like elf". -Bazoc Elf Eater

Charmazal
09-25-2007, 04:33 PM
Oh one other thing. My concern with Kalashtar is that they are big psionic users right? There's no psionics in the game so it's not like they're just adding a race. They'd have to do psionics.

As far as shifters go, I think we'll see druids first - or maybe we'll see shifters and then druids.

Borror0
09-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Kobold would be pretty funny... :rolleyes:

Cruzer
09-25-2007, 05:13 PM
They've already said no Kalashtar due to no ability to add psionics. That said, it would be nice if they'd add in at least one quest chain using Kalashtar NPC's or even mobs. (They can fake psionics on mobs as they do with mindflayers). I'm thinking Von2: Prison of the Mind style, but multiple quests and get Keith Baker to outline it. :)

As to Shifters... probably the only easy'ish race to add. For being Eberron I'd prefer them over the currently planned half-elves (unless the other half of that elf is dragon or centaur or such).

The current plan of record (http://www.ddo.com/article/845) is still Half Orcs and Half Elves.

I'd throw out anything said on that plan of record for the 2nd and 3rd bullet outlined in it...

Level Cap Increases – We are raising the level cap to Level 14 in April, and are planning on raising it again in the fall.
Monk Class – We have heard your clamor, and are hoping (fingers crossed) to have the Monks out for the fall.

They list new races as end of the year.. yah. hehe

muffinlad
09-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Kalashtar would be my preference as well, but I am guessing they would not be psi based in the DDO version, so it would require a real development effort.

Half races, Elf, Orc and Giant(not Eberron, but cool) would be nice.

muffindarwin

MrWizard
09-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Giant....or half-giant...
Centaur
Imp

at least for player races...

Sojourner
09-25-2007, 10:01 PM
I'd prefer to see the major Eberron races come out before they add others.

Some of the easiest to implement would be:
* Half-Orcs
* Half-Elves
* Shifters

There are a lot of "monster" races in Eberron too that could be fun to play:
* Kobolds
* Hobgoblins
* Minotaur
* Orcs

Kalashtar would be nice. And while it would take a bit of work to do the psionics, you could probably model a large portion of it after the magic system.

Changlings I doubt we would ever see. They are almost a pure RP race, offer little for DDO combat/missions, and the shapeshifting mechanisms would have to be worked out.

Turial
09-25-2007, 10:17 PM
Trog or Minotaur

Olaustt
09-25-2007, 10:29 PM
Donkeys and Elephants as mounts. Ok seriously Half-Orc.

Allice
09-26-2007, 01:07 AM
I would like to see fae or fairys =P what can i say there adorable little creatures.

Twerpp
09-26-2007, 01:34 AM
I would like to see fae or fairys =P what can i say there adorable little creatures.

I'll do Fraggles but sorry no on the Faeries :P

Allice
09-26-2007, 01:40 AM
I'll do Fraggles but sorry no on the Faeries :P

Hmm a fraggle bard i can see it now

"swooshy Daydream type effect going into a badly made hand puppet type world and you hear a fraggle bard playing"

Dance your cares away,
Worry's for another day.
Let the music play,
Down at Fraggle Rock.

Work your cares away,
Dancing's for another day.
Let the Fraggles play,
We're Gobo, Mokey, Wembley, Boober, Red.

Dance your cares away,
Worry's for another day.
Let the music play,
Down at Fraggle Rock.

"/end bad day dream sequence"

Nah i will stick with the faries and i want a my little pony mount too =)

sirgog
09-26-2007, 05:30 AM
Aasimar. As an unlockable reward for 1000 favor. But be very careful to balance them a little better than you did with drow.

Minotaurs would also be interesting, although they'd need to implement the ECL rules to make them fair.

Pyromaniac
09-26-2007, 05:37 AM
Ooze or Rust Monster :)

wundernewb
09-26-2007, 07:21 AM
Id like to see more Campaign specific races. Shifter would prolly be the number one pick, something with a really unique ability to showcase. Prolly the same reason they are likily the last thing we will see though.

Although they should really be hear, half-orc is prolly the last race Id like to see put in. Im sure they would put the enhancement line in and with that and the higher starting strength an army of half orc barbarians would rise up and threaten to take over Stormreach. Just hate the idea of a new MAX achievable in a game where the maxes are already too high. Im sure that fact isnt lost on Turbine also.

And if they put in shapeshifters, they'd be threatening to take over Stormreach instead.

It doesn't matter what you put in, they're going to saturate things at first. At least with half-orcs, the only advantage is a stat advantage, and the novelty of that will wear off at some point.

llevenbaxx
09-26-2007, 07:32 AM
And if they put in shapeshifters, they'd be threatening to take over Stormreach instead.

It doesn't matter what you put in, they're going to saturate things at first. At least with half-orcs, the only advantage is a stat advantage, and the novelty of that will wear off at some point.

Yeah, thats true. I guess we can already be stronger that gods(44), whats a couple more points really(49). Prolly really wouldnt make as big a difference as I originally thought.

adrinor
09-26-2007, 08:31 PM
Aasimar. As an unlockable reward for 1000 favor. But be very careful to balance them a little better than you did with drow.

Aasimar would be awesome. Maybe 1250 favor instead of 1000

salmag
09-26-2007, 08:53 PM
GNOMES, GNOMES, GNOMES, GNOMES, GNOMES, GNOMES, GNOMES, GNOMES, GNOMES, GNOMES, GNOMES, GNOMES, GNOMES, GNOMES.

Did I say GNOMES?

Ghoste
09-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Meh, elves are already fancy-pantsed fairy-ish enough for me.

Cheg
09-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Tapirs.

QuantumFX
09-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Half-Elf: Because I want my DDO Ranger/Rogue to actually resemble the P&P character he's based off of. And the racial enhancement chains should be pretty damn sweet.

Gnome: Because I want a race that has racial bonuses with picks and crossbows. And I want to make a teleport/DDoor/Haste monkey named Travelosity...

Kalashtar: If the Player Resource Consortium can add psionics to Neverwinter Nights then the Turbine Dev team should have enough ability to add psionics to this game.

robinrochester
09-26-2007, 11:42 PM
I would say normally Shifter, since it is an Eberron core race and they are just damn cool. I can see the "Spirit of the Bear, Tiger, Boar, etc." Enchancement lines now, much like the Thief Way of the Blank. Of course if you were going for a claw and fang shifter they woudl need spells like Magic Fang and what not added or they would be completely outclassed by an Uber loot fighter. In the Eberron PnP I have played i have always done Shifter and the amount of specific feats and abilities make them very versatile and a lot of fun. Shifters mean Druids though!

On the other hand the game is set in the Jungles of Xendrik... so Lizardmen are prevalent as well as Sahuagin. Of the 2 Lizardmen would be the most original I guess and cool as all hell. Of course it would have to be like Drow and a class unlocked by favor. Maybe a new favor line for the natural denizens of Xen'Drik and not just some white dude hanging out at the bank.

Kalashtar would be nice but it would also mean they would need ot add Psionics which just is not going to happen. Theres too much about magic in the game that needs to be worked on, enhanced and added before I would like to see a new power system.

Allice
09-27-2007, 12:36 AM
Meh, elves are already fancy-pantsed fairy-ish enough for me.

They may be but there neither small and adorable nor have wings. Even worse no little tinker bell outfits =P I want my fairy dust darnit

Canuckalhead
09-27-2007, 01:32 AM
I want to be a dog.

And then I will run around and trip everything I can find. I will even trip boxes. I don't care. I will be a tripping fool. I'll take ultra super duper uber improved trip as a feat and equip a vertigo weapon on all 4 paws.

Allice
09-27-2007, 01:38 AM
if we cant be fairies can be be gelatinous cubes?

Ghoste
09-27-2007, 01:55 AM
Klingons.

Ghoste
09-27-2007, 04:01 AM
They may be but there neither small and adorable nor have wings. Even worse no little tinker bell outfits =P I want my fairy dust darnit
Maybe it's just me, but when I see elves run by, even the males, well...especially the males, I already think tinkerbell.

DZX
09-27-2007, 05:30 AM
Well there are alot of races I would like to see. Most are a +1 level adjustment (no power problem there with Drow already in). But first and foremost

Give us the WARFORGED SCOUT (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/83078.jpg) as a friggin playable race already and add in the feat for ARMORLESS warforged!!!!!!!!

Then I would like to see

1. Earth Genasi (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/rof_gallery/49755.jpg)
2. Tiefling (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/rof_gallery/49759.jpg)
3. Kobold (Find you own pic!)
4. Aisimar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/rof_gallery/49753.jpg)
5. Air Genasi (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/rof_gallery/49754.jpg)
6. Fire Genasi (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/rof_gallery/49757.jpg)
7. Water Genasi (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/rof_gallery/49760.jpg)

robinrochester
09-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Way to keep it serious and try to advance the game guys... We need to lobby for something to help this game. By the way, there are no "armorless" warforged... they pretty much ARE armor. There is a feat in the Races of Eberron book in PnP for an Ironwood body that is designed for Warforged casters/clerics/druids etc.

Tenkari_Rozahas
09-27-2007, 09:36 AM
With how much the planes interact with ebberon, why not bring in the planetouched races?

And actually, there are "unarmored" warforged.... its called the Unarmored feat.

DZX
09-27-2007, 09:53 AM
By the way, there are no "armorless" warforged... they pretty much ARE armor. There is a feat in the Races of Eberron book in PnP for an Ironwood body that is designed for Warforged casters/clerics/druids etc.

Wrong, Unarmored Body on page 120 of the Races of Eberron book.

Your body is crafted without its normal layer of armor, trading off physical strength for magical potential.

cryptic
09-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Planetouched
Centar
Wimic
Kobold
Shifter
Lacanthrops
half-orc
faries or brownies
gnoll
lizard man
satyr

GramercyRiff
09-27-2007, 10:39 AM
It's more the question of what races I don't want to see. That would be an extremely short list. The more choices we have for character creation, the deeper and more fun this game will become. I argue that more character choices are even more important than new quests, or at the very least equally important.

Shifters ftw. They're a somewhat unique race that offers more customization with its shifting abilities. Peronally, I would've rather had Shifters rather than Warforged, but Wargorged have become somewhat iconic to the young Eberron campaign setting.

While I really want to see Gnomes, as they are my favorite rogue and arcane caster race, we would really need to see many more Illusion spells for them to reach their full potential. Illusion creates a problem however, as the power of any given illusion is the imagination (as well as application of the illusion) of the caster. That would be near impossible to implement.

Still, I want Gnomes and Shifters. Call em 1A and 1B.

Twerpp
09-27-2007, 01:38 PM
I want to be a dog.

And then I will run around and trip everything I can find. I will even trip boxes. I don't care. I will be a tripping fool. I'll take ultra super duper uber improved trip as a feat and equip a vertigo weapon on all 4 paws.

Then I will Wolf Whistle your arse and keep you as my familiar and feed you Ground-Dwarf Delectables Alpo every day!

Twerpp
09-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Half-Elf: Because I want my DDO Ranger/Rogue to actually resemble the P&P character he's based off of. And the racial enhancement chains should be pretty damn sweet.

Gnome: Because I want a race that has racial bonuses with picks and crossbows. And I want to make a teleport/DDoor/Haste monkey named Travelosity...

Beardless Tanis = Elf
Beard Option = Human

I just dont see a lot of people actually rolling half-elves if they have PnP racial traits. MAYBE if the enhancements are sick...they are just like humans with immune to sleep and the lack of multiclass penalty they have wouldnt reflect in DDO. Still, it's Core D&D we are talking about here so..it should simply happen.

I hear ya on the Gnome dude I hope you saved that name because I could see someone snagging it! Picks are great weapons but the base damage turns a lot of people off, a +2 racial bonus would change that.

Gornin
09-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Are half dragons available for Eberron setting? If so, then that is what I want.

mocat
09-27-2007, 02:19 PM
By now, I think everyone knows what race I would like to see next. :rolleyes: :D

BTW...... it's KOBOLDS!!!!

Riddikulus
09-27-2007, 02:26 PM
By now, I think everyone knows what race I would like to see next. :rolleyes: :D

BTW...... it's KOBOLDS!!!!
Implement Druids with the Reincarnate spell and you'd be in business if you can make the 4% roll.

d% Incarnation Str Dex Con
01 Bugbear +4 +2 +2
02–13 Dwarf +0 +0 +2
14–25 Elf +0 +2 –2
26 Gnoll +4 +0 +2
27–38 Gnome –2 +0 +2
39–42 Goblin –2 +2 +0
43–52 Half-elf +0 +0 +0
53–62 Half-orc +2 +0 +0
63–74 Halfling –2 +2 +0
75–89 Human +0 +0 +0
90–93 Kobold –4 +2 –2
94 Lizardfolk +2 +0 +2
95–98 Orc +4 +0 +0
99 Troglodyte +0 –2 +4
100 Other
/death
mocat: darn I'm a Lizard
/death
mocat: darn I'm a Dorf
/death

Porkchop
09-27-2007, 02:30 PM
What about them half horse half man guys. They could start with like a 50% striding or something and be able to kite any mob in the game.

mocat
09-27-2007, 02:31 PM
Implement Druids with the Reincarnate spell and you'd be in business if you can make the 4% roll.

/death
mocat: darn I'm a Lizard
/death
mocat: darn I'm a Dorf
/death

LOL :D

Yes... I would probably do that too. :D

I'd be -400,000 xp to get there, but it'd be worth it! :p

rpasell
09-27-2007, 02:34 PM

Are half dragons available for Eberron setting? If so, then that is what I want.

My understanding is Half Elf/Half Dragons are mercilessly hunted down and killed by the dragons of Ebberon.

Maybe it's just me, but when I see elves run by, even the males, well...especially the males, I already think tinkerbell.

The elves of Eberron are not the elves of any other D&D setting. While I don't play elves (as my sig shows, I like Eberron halflings) they are far from "tinkerbells". Highly recommend the War Torn series to get a feel for the elves of Eberron.

Ghoste
09-27-2007, 03:26 PM
Yes and no. The only half dragon ever to exist in the history of Eberron was bred by the 13th House in an attempt to form an alliance with the dragons of Argo. Seeing as there are now only 12 dragonmarked houses, you can see that didnt go so well for them. The dragons also killed the half dragon.

So it's technically possible, but it's also opening a nasty can of wyrms.

Gornin
09-27-2007, 03:27 PM
Yes and no. The only half dragon ever to exist in the history of Eberron was bred by the 13th House in an attempt to form an alliance with the dragons of Argo. Seeing as there are now only 12 dragonmarked houses, you can see that didnt go so well for them. The dragons also killed the half dragon.

TYVM for the info.

perratin
09-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Half dragons

Ciaran
09-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Aside from the core races to Eberron - I'd love to see tieflings and aasimar. ;)

Intended or not, that was funny as hell!

As far as implementing monstrous races go, the problem there is the level adjustment. Drow are supposed to have a level adjustment of +2 but instead they are unlocked with favor. Minotaurs would be even worse. Here's three reasons why:

1) +8 Strength, +4 Constitution, -4 Intelligence (minimum 3), -2 Charisma.
2) +5 Natural armor bonus
3) Racial Hit Dice: A minotaur begins with six levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 6d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +6, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +2, Ref +5, and Will +5.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool, but day-um it would throw things out of whack. Aside from aesthetic or roleplay reasons, there'd be no reason to not make a minotaur fighter or barbarian.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Elvejon
09-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Trolls... Maybe... Flesh Rendor... Or maybe Skaarj (btw UT copyright if u do =P)

MysticTheurge
09-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Eberron Gnomes are, to use the vernacular, teh roxxorz.

Riddikulus
09-27-2007, 04:35 PM
As far as implementing monstrous races go, the problem there is the level adjustment. Drow are supposed to have a level adjustment of +2 but instead they are unlocked with favor. Minotaurs would be even worse. Here's three reasons why:

1) +8 Strength, +4 Constitution, -4 Intelligence (minimum 3), -2 Charisma.
2) +5 Natural armor bonus
3) Racial Hit Dice: A minotaur begins with six levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 6d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +6, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +2, Ref +5, and Will +5.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool, but day-um it would throw things out of whack. Aside from aesthetic or roleplay reasons, there'd be no reason to not make a minotaur fighter or barbarian.
They should just implement LA and be done with it.

So your Mino would walk off the boat at level 3 with 50,000 XP, 2 levels of hidden "level adjustment", and 1 level of whatever class you choose. There should be few balance problems in doing so because when you hit level 14, you will have only been able to choose 12 levels worth of classes.

Drow should be the same way.

Bunzy
09-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Kalshtar and Half-Orcs. Here's why:
Half-orcs would just be really cool and fun to play (sorry to sound like a noob :P)
And Kalashtar are really amazing (try reading 'The Dreaming Dark' series by Keith Baker for a good feel of the race) and would just be SO cool. (again sorry for sounding like a noob)

I'm not sure what a psionic is but it if has anything to do with the -psi prefix than it would be good. And druids and monks are certainly good classes to add.

Dailus
09-27-2007, 04:47 PM
1. Half-elves
2. Half-orcs
3. Shifters
4. Kalashtar
5. Gnomes

Cyr
09-27-2007, 04:49 PM
In this order:

Half orc (coming out anyways and easy to implement)

Mino's (have graphics done just have max level lower than other people)

Hobgoblins (graphics done easy to implement)

Werewolfs/Wererats/Wereboars (lower max level again with this stacked up with the other races just like in PnP would be really really cool but would require some graphics work hence the lower part ont he list)

Pixies (Come on you know you would play one)

MysticTheurge
09-27-2007, 05:02 PM
They should just implement LA and be done with it.

So your Mino would walk off the boat at level 3 with 50,000 XP, 2 levels of hidden "level adjustment", and 1 level of whatever class you choose. There should be few balance problems in doing so because when you hit level 14, you will have only been able to choose 12 levels worth of classes.

Your assessment is incorrect.

A minotaur has an ECL of 8 before it gets any classes: 6 racial hit dice and a +2 level adjustment.

A "first level" minotaur would be the equivalent of a ninth level character. At "level 14" you would only have 6 class levels, not 12.

Implementing the system properly might work for some low LA, no-racial-HD races, but not for most of the more powerful ones.

They could, however, potentially use the rules from Savage Species to do it. These fake the 8 levels of ECL with actual levels in the "minotaur" class (and so on for any particular race).

Aspenor
09-27-2007, 05:06 PM
From what I hear this MysticTheurge is a charlatan and cannot be trusted. :p

MysticTheurge
09-27-2007, 05:10 PM
From what I hear this MysticTheurge is a charlatan and cannot be trusted. :p

I've heard this rumor too. It's entirely accurate.

:p

Aspenor
09-27-2007, 05:19 PM
I advocate implementing my RL race, leShay. :rolleyes:

Riddikulus
09-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Your assessment is incorrect.

A minotaur has an ECL of 8 before it gets any classes: 6 racial hit dice and a +2 level adjustment.

A "first level" minotaur would be the equivalent of a ninth level character. At "level 14" you would only have 6 class levels, not 12.

Implementing the system properly might work for some low LA, no-racial-HD races, but not for most of the more powerful ones.

They could, however, potentially use the rules from Savage Species to do it. These fake the 8 levels of ECL with actual levels in the "minotaur" class (and so on for any particular race).
Ah ok, I misread that.

So that's fine. You'd start off as a level 9 character with 350,000 XP (obviously going to have to be a 2500 favor reward or something like that), 6 levels of Minotaur/2 levels of "adjustment"/1 level of a class of your choice.

Besides setting the starting XP/level the devs would then just add a "racial" multiclass slot and "adjustment" multiclass slot perhaps in addition to the other 3 slots (can't remember off hand if monster races have all classes available to them and can multiclass 3 of them like the others or not).

It should not be a great deal of code, and for many of the available monster player races they already have all of the 3D graphics models... you could be _real_ limited on your customization there to save implementation time, and the end result would open up a whole world of possibilities for the players.

After all, if you can play a chicken in LOTRO, we should be able to play Kobolds here...

Edit: Saw your other suggestion at the end, that would be good too and would give more time for leveling and perhaps even more choices ("I just want to take 4 levels of Mino", etc.). In that case they only have to account for the level adjustment off the boat, again in this case 50,000 XP, starting level is 3, which is level 2 "adjustment"/ level 1 Minotaur.

Invalid_86
09-27-2007, 08:14 PM
Gnomes.
Half Orcs.
Maybe Half Elves, but not a big priority.

A big no to any other races who would have adjusted levels. Drow are already more than enough.

Sorry count me out for Kalashtar. Throw in a few npcs, sure, but I can't get past the feeling that no matter how cool they may sound in a book they always end up being lame, overpowered, or just a headache in the game.

I could get behind Kobolds and Hobgoblins! But get the core guys first.

mercykilling
09-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Dunno if it has been mentioned previously, but I want the Goliath from the Races of Stone! All I can remember right now, is a +1 lvl adjustment for the race, Large status(or medium, whichever is most favorable TO THE PLAYER), and the capability to use giant-sized weapons! RAH!

MysticTheurge
09-27-2007, 11:08 PM
Sorry count me out for Kalashtar. Throw in a few npcs, sure, but I can't get past the feeling that no matter how cool they may sound in a book they always end up being lame, overpowered, or just a headache in the game.

I have trouble figuring out how something can be both "lame" and "overpowered." At least in so far as the implication of lame is that they're "weak."

In general, I'd have to rate the new Eberron races at Warforged>Kalashtar>Changelings as far as power goes. Provided you include psionics and you're not in a social/espionage type campaign. Without Psionics or in a social/espionage campaign, changelings probably move up the ladder a rung.

Seriously, Kalashtar get two real benefits. One power point per level and mindlink (which just lets them talk to willing companions non-verbally). They're really not overpowered. (Unless you're one of those people who just thinks psionics is over powered, in which case I refer you to this (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=331253).)

Invalid_86
09-28-2007, 09:57 PM
I have trouble figuring out how something can be both "lame" and "overpowered." At least in so far as the implication of lame is that they're "weak."

It depends on the which incarnation of D&D the psionics rules were attached to. There were many different versions- all pretty much bad. It just doesn't give me high hopes to see another version of psionics rules tacked onto another D&D campaign, especially when there are so many bigger issues and potential expansions that could be worked on.

Twerpp
09-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Dunno if it has been mentioned previously, but I want the Goliath from the Races of Stone! All I can remember right now, is a +1 lvl adjustment for the race, Large status(or medium, whichever is most favorable TO THE PLAYER), and the capability to use giant-sized weapons! RAH!

Im all for a Large race. I want a War Hulk Prestige class melee like you wouldnt believe!

Ghoste
09-28-2007, 10:10 PM
The elves of Eberron are not the elves of any other D&D setting. While I don't play elves (as my sig shows, I like Eberron halflings) they are far from "tinkerbells". Highly recommend the War Torn series to get a feel for the elves of Eberron.
Dude, I gotta have some kind of racial slur for them. don't go taking that away from me.

MysticTheurge
09-28-2007, 11:19 PM
Dude, I gotta have some kind of racial slur for them. don't go taking that away from me.

Corpse-worshipers.

Ganak
09-28-2007, 11:26 PM
Half-Orc.

Tenkari_Rozahas
09-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Half-Orc.

I think he meant aside from the ones they already announced that they will be adding to the game.

DZX
09-29-2007, 04:28 PM
What about them half horse half man guys. They could start with like a 50% striding or something and be able to kite any mob in the game.

I'll accept centaurs as long as you walk around and shovel up all the road apples :P

Bunzy
09-29-2007, 09:51 PM
/snip
Pixies (Come on you know you would play one)
Lol. Yes, of course....

Ghoste
09-29-2007, 09:55 PM
Corpse-worshipers.
Hmmm...needs to sound a bit catchier, like...corpse-lovers maybe...

But then I also need to find a new slur for drow. Used to just call them fairies too, sometimes goth fairies. Hmmm...scorpion-lovers...entophiliacs...bug-bonkers...

Wingofbenu
09-30-2007, 12:26 AM
Changelings.

theyre my fave eberron race from a lore standpoint.

Wingofbenu
09-30-2007, 12:29 AM

as a cute sidenote..

*SPOILERS for eberron corebook*
That half dragon isnt totally dead. She's a lich. Maybe you've heard of her. her name's Vol.