PDA

View Full Version : what ranger skills do you have?

tc12
09-25-2007, 01:12 PM
OK so my first ranger was a ranger13/rouge1. With INT 14 and 8 CHA, I was cross-classing open and disable, and taking move/hide and search/spot as class skills. That didn't leave much room for anything else.

Now, I'm building a 32 pt STR/2WF Ranger with no rogue skills, and wondering what to do with my skill points. Stealth isn't such a huge part of the game, but seems those could be maxed just in case they make stealth more useful in future quests. Some spot is good for hidden mobs, but it doesn't seem like this needs to be maxed. With no rogue splash, I'm not sure if Search is needed at all.

So I'm at a loss for what a modern Ranger should spend points on. I actually went down to INT 8 this time around, as even 5/level was more than what I could think would be needed.

Cross-class balance and tumble? Even STR-based I'm going to have a high enough DEX that these don't need too much help. Jump? Well it's a first level ranger spell so... And of course wearing light armor (mith shirt) none of my physical skills are penalized anyway so don't need as much help as someone in heavier armor.

Suggestions? What are others with rangers spending thier skill points on these days?

TC

Zenako
09-25-2007, 01:15 PM
Stongly suggest keeping Spot and Listen maxed out. Changes in Mod 5 will make these more valuable. Stealth skills like Hide and Move Silent will still be useful for scouting or running solo to get into good positions. (or just looting giant caves....)

Jump is handy, but we get that as a spell.

Mad_Bombardier
09-25-2007, 01:22 PM
I have maxed Search (useless), Spot, Listen, Heal and some points in Concentration (I cast Cures in combat), Jump, Haggle, Balance, Move Silently, Hide, Tumble (1 to unlock).

Blazer
09-25-2007, 01:30 PM
10 INT on my ranger. I've maxed out Jump, Move Silently, Hide, Listen, Spot, and Swim. While some of these are more useful than others, I don't think I would put the points elsewhere. Next level increase I may put a point into Tumble just to be able to roll around, however.

D'rin
09-25-2007, 01:31 PM
I would do spot(since we won't be able to tab select anymore), jump, hide and move silently. Yes jump is a 1st lvl spell but nothing like being able to jump over a giants head. Its just plain fun. I would put some points in tumble(think reaver raid where ff does no good) and balance. You could also put points into swim(crucible). I think you will start to see more quests with skills that are important.

CSFurious
09-25-2007, 01:54 PM
i also distribute my skill points in much the same way

tc12
09-25-2007, 06:22 PM
So listen is the one I overlooked. In my first 2 levels I put 5 each in Spot, Move Silent, Hide, Jump and Swim.

I don't think I'll put any more in jump and swim though and just focus on stealth and observation: listen/spot and hide/ms. I'm splashing 3 Paladin levels so those 4 will be all I can do with my INT and the splash lowering my skill pt total.

JelloMold
09-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Jumping over a minotaur's charge is pretty nice too :D

I'd keep your sneak skills high. There have been innumerable times that I have saved one or more party members by sneaking stones. Not to mention the deaths I've avoided by being able to hide at the right time.

For a melee build, I'd focus on balance if you are cross classing. Thus far I have not been fooling with swim and listen, but I think the game is developing along the lines of having more balanced characters, so I'm popping some of those.

QuantumFX
09-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Jump skill + Jump spell = broadjumping over things like charging trolls and VoN6 lightning traps. You can also get some really nice places to be a sniper from. (ex. Last part of Co6.)

Balance is always a good investment of skill points.

UMD is also good with buffs and items for equipping RR'ed stuff.

Soul-Shaker
09-26-2007, 03:40 AM
No matter what build I Do, I usually max jump, balance, umd as top priority but may change slightly with mod5 listen, spot checks. If I splash a rog into high skill class like a ranger with intention of doing traps then I usually add on to priority DD, search. Then slightly into each on tumble, OL balance. I dont think spot/listen skills has to be invested in to much since rangers will more then likely just carry the spell wild instincts for a spell when things get annoying.

underlordone
09-26-2007, 05:24 AM
stealth is very good use it all the time when soloing or just getting to a caster before he can see me.

I do
sneak
hide
bal*
tumble*
jump
listen
concentration
swim
search
spot
heal

12 int but if u move some points around at some lvls you can get all to 30's with np

Beherit_Baphomar
09-26-2007, 09:23 AM
The ones Ive maxed (so far, at level 4) are
Search - Wont put any more points into this I guess
Spot
Move Silent
Hide
Jump
UMD

Jump, I'll only take to about 15 or so. The skill maxes out at 40, so anything else is a waste of points.

UMD, I have a good CHA, well, goodish...12 I think, so I will be able to equip most RR items.

Move silent and hide are just awesome skills. Running around Cerulean hills, and that other one, sniping and silently killing is just fun inna bun...I love it..a'course I like to solo alot so that might not be for everyone...