PDA

View Full Version : Can you make a Wizard Boomstick?

ErgonomicCat
09-25-2007, 10:54 AM
I know that Sorcs are the ultimate boomsticks, what with their fast casting and their high SP. I know that damage isn't entirely optimal, and that it burns up SP like mad.

But can you make a wizard that goes boom, with a side of control? I know it's silly, but I've rerolled so many times I just don't want to run it again. I've got a level 4 wizard who was going necromancer, but I find that it doesn't really fit with my playstyle. I think it would probably pay off at higher levels, but I'm a dabbler....

So I have a ton of shards, and enough cash to afford the feat swaps without an issue. It's just whether it's going to be worth it in the long run?

Assuming I go for it, I'd have a level 4 wiz, stats of 8/12/15/18/8/8.

For feats, I'd go with Mental Toughness (1), Empower Spell (H), Spell Focus (Enchantment) (W1) and then Maximize Spell (3) for now.

With a 20 int at level 4 (+1 level up, +1 enhancement), and enhancements, I have 315 SP.

Mad_Bombardier
09-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Damage potential is the same. Slower casting speed and smaller mana pool are the only difference and a major hindrance to boomstick Wizards.

ErgonomicCat
09-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Damage potential is the same. Slower casting speed and smaller mana pool are the only difference and a major hindrance to boomstick Wizards.

That's my question, I guess. Is it that I'm going to say "Man, this would be better as a sorc, but it's still fun!" or is it that I'm going to say "I HATE YOU! I HATE YOUR SMALL POOL OF SPELLS AND I HATE YOUR XP DEBT AND I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU YOU HORRIBLE HORRIBLE WIZARD!"

The theory I'm working off is something like: Enter room. Hypnotize everyone. Pick target. Kill target. Charm target, kill charmed target's target. Repeat.

The plethora of feats from being a Wiz, and the ability to occasionally become a WF healer or the like seem like they'd be bonuses, but I don't know if they're worth it.

I think maybe I'm just asking you guys to confirm for me that I need to suck it up and just reroll a sorc. ;)

CSFurious
09-25-2007, 11:33 AM
if you want to go boom, i think that you will be happier with a fire/cold drow sor & with heighten spell & with 32 chr will also be able to also utilize enchantment cc

Dariun
09-25-2007, 11:45 AM
I'd vote sorcerer. You need the spell points and casting speed for doing a lot of DDO combat.

I play an enchantment focus wizard and a damage focus sorcerer.

With my wizard, I will buff, charm, crowd control, and then, if necessary, throw out a firewall or a cone of cold, but if the party or my charmed friends have things under control, I just wait and do nothing. Maybe cast otto's on a troublesome ogre.

With my sorcerer, I tend to just leave Empower on and blast things (firewall! firewall! fireball! fireball! -- hey, where did everyone go?) and advise people not to waste spell points hypnotizing things I'm about to BBQ.

spifflove
09-25-2007, 12:32 PM
You can play a sorcerer or you can do like i do and use a heavy repeater. You have to turn the repeater off to prevent being stuck on reload animation but that will give you plenty of sp for burst "boomstick" damage when it is actually needed. (bosses and mobs that you cant shake)

ErgonomicCat
09-25-2007, 03:33 PM
You can play a sorcerer or you can do like i do and use a heavy repeater. You have to turn the repeater off to prevent being stuck on reload animation but that will give you plenty of sp for burst "boomstick" damage when it is actually needed. (bosses and mobs that you cant shake)

So, what's your stat layout for that?

Max Int, all the rest in to Dex?