PDA

View Full Version : Audio not working now..

Borror0
09-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Works now, sorry for wasted time.

transtemporal
09-24-2007, 06:45 PM
It is not limited to DDO, it's the same all over my desktop. In short, new computer, bought it Thursday. Worked fine... until this morning: no sound. I tried to use VC but no sound in or out. Everything worked fine with what I'm using right now, always worked good before.

I've tested both my speakers and my headset, none of them work but both work on my laptop.:confused:

I'm trying a few computer forums, just checking if anyone would have an idea.

What kind of soundcard and OS are you running? And have you had any powersurges or lightning storms recently where you are?

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was Windows not playing nice with it. Even in these days of Vista, Windows support for soundcards, tvtuners and wireless networking is still substandard.

Borror0
09-24-2007, 10:54 PM
What kind of soundcard and OS are you running? And have you had any powersurges or lightning storms recently where you are?

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was Windows not playing nice with it. Even in these days of Vista, Windows support for soundcards, tvtuners and wireless networking is still substandard.

It's simply that, for an odd reason, my desktop stops detectinhg a feature from time to time... yesterday, it was the mouse, now it's the sound. At least things get back to normal after a while.

I'm running XP for all it matters.

transtemporal
09-25-2007, 04:18 AM
It's simply that, for an odd reason, my desktop stops detectinhg a feature from time to time... yesterday, it was the mouse, now it's the sound. At least things get back to normal after a while.

I'm running XP for all it matters.

If its random pieces of hardware in your rig, my guesses would be:
1) Device conflicts
Pretty rare these days. (rightclick My computer > select properties > select hardware tab > select device manager > if anything has a yellow exclamation mark, theres a conflict)
2) Power supply
I had a similar issue when I installed my Geforce 7800 card. Just sucked up power like it was going out of fashion. Suddenly stuff just stopped working, in my case the TVTuner was the first thing to go, then the soundcard. Installed a new bigger power supply and voila! All problems went away. If you machine is new, that shouldn't happen unless they've under-specced the power supply.
3) USB conflicts
Are the devices that stop working USB by chance? If so, I've found that swapping external harddrives, USB sticks, cameras and a few other things that require drivers into the same USB port seems to "confuse" windows and cause it not to pick a device the next time you plug it in. I've had that problem with numerous computers, all running XP.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

transtemporal
09-25-2007, 04:19 AM
Works now, sorry for wasted time.

D'oh! Didn't see your changed post until I'd replied! Ha ha. :)

Borror0
09-25-2007, 08:07 AM
1) Device conflicts
Pretty rare these days. (rightclick My computer > select properties > select hardware tab > select device manager > if anything has a yellow exclamation mark, theres a conflict)

Not that, checked the other day when the mic wasn't working, first thing I did after plugging-unplugging 20 times...

2) Power supply
I had a similar issue when I installed my Geforce 7800 card. Just sucked up power like it was going out of fashion. Suddenly stuff just stopped working, in my case the TVTuner was the first thing to go, then the soundcard. Installed a new bigger power supply and voila! All problems went away. If you machine is new, that shouldn't happen unless they've under-specced the power supply.

Might be it, they had what I was looking for, but the card was tooo low, so they put better one in. I'm going to calll them about that today. Maybe they'll realise they've messsed up on that.

3) USB conflicts
Are the devices that stop working USB by chance? If so, I've found that swapping external harddrives, USB sticks, cameras and a few other things that require drivers into the same USB port seems to "confuse" windows and cause it not to pick a device the next time you plug it in. I've had that problem with numerous computers, all running XP.

The mouse is USB, but the headset is not. I also tried a non-USB mouse and it didn't work better.:( Only time seems to fix it...:confused:

D'oh! Didn't see your changed post until I'd replied! Ha ha. :)

Hehe, don't worry. ;) Your help is appreciated. :) I know a lot 'bout the game... but much less about computers. I can do ok, but there are areas where I need help. :p

transtemporal
09-27-2007, 12:04 AM
Might be it, they had what I was looking for, but the card was tooo low, so they put better one in. I'm going to calll them about that today. Maybe they'll realise they've messsed up on that.

Not that theres necessarily a linear connection between generations of graphics card and power consumption, but as nVidia/ATI bought out successive generations of cards with the same manufacturing size (.13 micron) but faster speeds, they needed more power to work and bigger fans to function without overheating.
Your new graphics card would probably have to be 2 or 3 generations ahead for it to really start to matter. My 7800 has a power connector for both the fan and the card itself and it was a quantum leap over the 4400 MX card that I had in previously. I just didn't think to check power consumption when I installed it!
Just another thought - it could be something as simple as a loose power connector, or a slightly unseated card somewhere in the box. If you're confident fiddling around with your machine (and you have a static strap), you could open the box and check that all the connectors are tightly connected and the PCI slots are seated properly?

Hehe, don't worry. ;) Your help is appreciated. :) I know a lot 'bout the game... but much less about computers. I can do ok, but there are areas where I need help. :p

No problem, I'm kinda the converse. I know a little bit about computers and bugger all about the game. :)