PDA

View Full Version : Potent Quotables !

hennebux
09-22-2007, 04:00 PM
The Idea here is to quote people...Please be considerate and quote the source if ya can... Enjoy.

“Chief among our gains must be reckoned this possibility of choice, the recognition of many possible ways of life, where other civilizations give a satisfactory outlet to only one temperamental type, be he mystic or soldier, businessman or artist, a civilization in which there are many standards offers a possibility of satisfactory adjustment to individuals of many different temperamental types, of diverse gifts, and varying interests.”

-Margaret Mead-

Arlith
09-22-2007, 04:09 PM
"The Truth is a Virus"
Happy Harry Hardon

loki523
09-22-2007, 05:10 PM
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

- Hunter S. Thompson

Memnir
09-22-2007, 05:22 PM
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
~ Albert Einstein

Solstice
09-22-2007, 05:23 PM
"You're the disease, and I'm the cure." - Marion Cobretti

C'mon, Syl rulez:D

Scarsgaard
09-22-2007, 06:18 PM
"Better to have a gun and not need it, than need a gun and not have one"

Christian Slater, True Romance

Music_Man
09-22-2007, 06:40 PM
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

- Hunter S. Thompson
I just have to re-quote this one. Rest in peace good Dr. Gonzo.

& to add to the quotes:
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein. ... which means all of you who do loot runs are insane.

Uamhas
09-22-2007, 07:06 PM
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

PaintHorseCowboy
09-22-2007, 07:37 PM
"Where the hell did all these indians come from?!?!" ~~ General George Armstrong Custer

Scarsgaard
09-22-2007, 08:47 PM
"but you siad you were 17!, how can you be pregnant?"

Scarsgaard

Clay
09-22-2007, 09:13 PM
I fart in your general direction...

Now, go away, or I shall taunt you a second time-a!

- French Guard

Sokar6000
09-22-2007, 10:26 PM
"There is no greater mistake than that of always being right." -Fortune Cookie.

hennebux
09-22-2007, 11:01 PM
"This wallpaper is killing me; one of us has to go." - last words of Oscar Wilde

Uamhas
09-23-2007, 03:03 AM
Work It
Make It
Do It
Makes Us

Harder
Better
Faster
Stronger

More Than
Hour
Our
Never

Ever
After
Work is
Over

Work It
Make It
Do It
Makes Us

Harder
Better
Faster
Stronger

Work It Harder Make It Better
Do It Faster Makes Us stronger
More Than Ever Hour After
Our Work Is Never Over

-Daft Punk

Battlehawk
09-23-2007, 04:10 AM
"Not brutal enough" -Nathan Explosion

"The weed of crime bears bitter fruit" -The Shadow

"I am the big, blue salmon of justice!" -The Tick

"640k ought to be enough for anybody" -Bill Gates (1981)

herzkos
09-23-2007, 05:21 AM
"life is a sexually transmitted disease"
don't know the source

keep the change

VonBek
09-23-2007, 05:46 AM
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will end up plowing for those who didn't.

-Attributed, to B Franklin, (Thanks Guys)

Though I'd still like to nail it down - at present, I've only found it listed as "Anonymous" anywhere else.

PaintHorseCowboy
09-23-2007, 07:48 AM
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will end up plowing for those who didn't.

-Anonymous

That's not an anonymous quote. Thomas Jefferson is commonly credited with having spoken those words to the Continental Congress while discussing the necessity of providing for the common defense by maintaining a standing army.

Arlith
09-23-2007, 08:12 AM
That's not an anonymous quote. Thomas Jefferson is commonly credited with having spoken those words to the Continental Congress while discussing the necessity of providing for the common defense by maintaining a standing army.

Ummm Franklin, not Jefferson. The credit for the quote, don't know if he used it for addressing congress.

loki523
09-23-2007, 09:14 AM
"I drank what?"

- Socrates

loki523
09-23-2007, 09:15 AM
"What's this button for?"

- Christa Mcauliffe

cdbd3rd
09-23-2007, 10:10 AM
T.I. to a new recruit who on the first day of Basic was sporting long freshly permed wavy blond locks.

TI: "That's some real purty hair ya got there son. You just get that permed?"
Kid stammers: "Y, y, yes, Sir."
TI, leaning in to tap edge of hat on kids forehead, screams: "Now son, can you tell me why the $&#* did you do something that $&#*ing stupid knowing it was going to get cut off today?!?"
Kid says second dumbest thing he could have: "It was a good deal, sir."

-TSgt Henry B. Hines, and Goldielocks, as the kid was nicknamed the rest of basic.

The rest of us got a real chewing for breaking ranks with our laughing, but it was worth it to see the T.I. almost break his 'training face'.:D

Okay, actually I like this one:
"What a unique device, the human tush. An architectural marvel, one of a kind... actually two of a kind. Designed to support our weight for a lifetime of sitting, it also has the subtlety to do the samba. And when attached to certain members of the female species at a time when light summer dresses are worn can cause some of us to drive our cars straight up a lamp post."
-Hawkeye Pierce, M*A*S*H surgeon

lostinjapan
09-23-2007, 10:24 AM
My favorite quotes...you will also see them in my bio of all my characters.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." ~~ Bilbo Baggins | The Lord of the Rings | J. R. R. Tolkein

"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it’s true, or because they are afraid it might be true." ~~ Wizard's First Rule | The Sword of Truth | Terry Goodkind

"Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." ~~ Will Smith

Vua
09-23-2007, 06:45 PM
"Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat"
-Jesse "The Body" Ventura

Arnya
09-23-2007, 07:30 PM
"Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter"
-Yoda

McSurlykins
09-23-2007, 08:00 PM
(Party): [Party] Queria: i love ( o )( o )'s

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet, you are a plague, and we are the cure. -Agent Smith

PaintHorseCowboy
09-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Ummm Franklin, not Jefferson. The credit for the quote, don't know if he used it for addressing congress.

You're right. Sorry, I was reading some letters written by Thomas Jefferson and for some reason typed his name instead.

A lesson to us all. Don't read and type.

My appologies for misciting the source of that quote.

PaintHorseCowboy
09-23-2007, 09:44 PM
"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend." - Yasir Arrafat (On going to war over religion)

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction." - Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

"A golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range." - Bill O'Connor

"The very nature of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence." - George Washington

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

"The French announced today that they would not help us remove Saddam from Iraq. Well Duh! They didn't even help us remove Hitler
from France." -Jay Leno

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain

Borror0
09-23-2007, 09:48 PM
"They misunderestimated me." - George W. Bush

Xundrin
09-24-2007, 10:37 AM
"I am in the prime of my senility."
"Ladies and gentlemen, it is my sincere wish that immediately after my death, my head be severed from my body, and that it be replaced by a bouquet of broccoli. It's the artist in me."
"I've gazed into the abyss and the abyss gazed into me, and neither of us liked what we saw."
"In this best of all possible worlds, everything is in a hell of a mess."
Going into surgery: "If I die, best wishes for the rest of your life. If I don't—I'll phone you."
"The best thing is not to be born. But who is as lucky as that? To whom does it happen? Not to one among millions and millions of people."
"Dear God, if you exist, please help me! And if you don't exist…help me anyway!"
"What do we know about the beyond? Do we know what's behind the beyond? I'm afraid some of us hardly know what's beyond the behind."
"The only thing that keeps me alive is the hope of dying young."
"You can train a rat. Yes, if you work for hours and days and months and years, you can train a rat. But when you're done, all you'll have is a trained rat!"
"One day, David Letterman, one day my picture will be on every postage stamp...!"
"I am what you call a "controversial figure". People either hate me or they despise me."
"There are those who would rather shake the Devil by the tail than me by the hand."
"All the great spiritual leaders are dead .... Moses is dead .... Muhammed is dead .... Buddha is dead .... and I'm not feeling so hot myself!"
"What this country needs, and I'm not joking, is a dictator. I feel the time is right, and the place congenial, and I am ready. I will be strict but just. Heads will roll, and corpses will swing from every lamppost."
"My name, as you may have guessed, is Theodore. I come from a strange stock. The members of my family were mostly epileptics, vegetarians, stutterers, triplets, nailbiters. But we've always been happy." (original 1955 version of this routine)

~Brother Theodore

Sigmoid
09-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Mahatma Ghandi was once asked what he thought about Western civilization. He replied, "That would be a good idea."

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing."
- Albert Einstein

satya_sai
09-24-2007, 11:04 AM
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.

"Disaster is a natural part of my evolution," Tyler whispered, "toward tragedy and dissolution."
"I'm breaking my attachment to physical power and possessions," Tyler whispered, "because only through destroying myself can I discover the greater power of my spirit."

"The liberator who destroys my property," Tyler said, "is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."

"What's it say, already?"
Tyler looks at Leslie and says, without even picking up the note, "I have passed an amount of urine into at least one of your many elegant fragrances."

Albert smiles. "You ****ed in her perfume?"

"No," Tyler says, "but she doesn't know that."

"We are the middle children of history, raised by television to believe that someday we'll be millionaires and movie stars and rock stars, but we won't. And we're just learning this fact. So don't f**k with us."

My favorite author of the moment - Chuck Palahniuk
Excerpts from Fight Club

Sigmoid
09-24-2007, 11:05 AM
“Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".~~ Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi

Weedo
09-24-2007, 11:05 AM
"If your keys fall in lava, let them go, cause man they're gone" -Jack Handey

Memnir
09-24-2007, 11:13 AM
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels."
~ Groucho Marx

Camaron
09-24-2007, 12:03 PM
"More than two decades later, it is hard to imagine the Revolutionary War coming out any other way." --George W. Bush

Information is moving -- you know, nightly news is one way, of course, but it's also moving through the blogosphere and through the Internets." --George W. Bush

"My job is a job to make decisions. I'm a decision -- if the job description were, what do you do -- it's decision maker." --George W. Bush

"I'm a strong proponent of the restoration of the wetlands, for a lot of reasons. There's a practical reason, though, when it comes to hurricanes: The stronger the wetlands, the more likely the damage of the hurricane." --George W. Bush

"You know, when I campaigned here in 2000, I said, I want to be a war President. No President wants to be a war President, but I am one." --George W. Bush

loki523
09-24-2007, 12:44 PM
LMAO Weedo

Jack is king!

Impossible to pick a favorite but this has got to be one of them...

"One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh, no," I said, "Disneyland burned down." He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late."

DME543
09-24-2007, 12:44 PM
"I think with a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court, you can't play, you know, hide the salami, or whatever it's called." --Democratic Party Chairman Howard Dean

"I'm not going to have some reporters pawing through our papers. We are the president" Hillary Clinton

"We are going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good."
Hillary Clinton

Uamhas
09-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Caveat Emptor

Xundrin
09-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Stephen Colbert: Like any good newsman, I believe that if you're not scared, I'm not doing my job.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stone Phillips: We invited Mother Teresa to respond to these charges.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stephen Colbert: You know what you can't outsource, Fareed? You can't outsource balls. America is the world leader in balls.
Fareed Zakaria: You've really got balls on your mind tonight.

Stephen Colbert: You know, I've been running this show, four nights a week, for... five nights now...

Stephen Colbert: I've swallowed 18 condoms full of truth and I'm headed across the border!

Stephen Colbert: ["Formidable Opponent:" Stephen Colbert debating with Stephen Colbert on charity] But, I could take care of my minimal needs and send the rest of the money to the poor.
Stephen Colbert: Okay, think about this: You could buy a $100,000 Mercedes S600, or you could buy a $10,000 pile of **** from Korea and give the left over 110,000 to...
Stephen Colbert: An orphanage?
Stephen Colbert: Whatever lets you sleep. One day, you go to check on your orphans. It's raining, and you don't have the benefits of that fine German engineering. You spin out of control. You're like a loose lawnmower blade. And what's that ahead? It's your orphans! They've come out into the street to thank you for your selfless gift.
Stephen Colbert: Get out of the street orphans!
Stephen Colbert: Oh, I forgot to mention: They're deaf.
Stephen Colbert: Noooooo!
Stephen Colbert: Yes. Yeah, tragedy. Tragedy all because you didn't care enough to make a difference for yourself.
Stephen Colbert: Wow. You've really opened my eyes, Stephen. Say, um, does it have to be a car?
Stephen Colbert: No, it could be a really sweet boat.
Stephen Colbert: Shave your head, get a wet sponge, and flip the switch, 'cause you're about to get a Truthocution!

Stephen Colbert: Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.

Stephen Colbert: I believe all God's creatures have a soul... except bears, bears are Godless killing machines!

Udaar
09-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Mark Twain's comments to reporters after his return from Europe where he was reported to have died.

" As you can see the reports of my death were greatly exaggerated!"

binnsr
09-24-2007, 01:12 PM
"The intelligent man who is proud of his intelligence is like the condemned man who is proud of his large cell. "
Simone Weil

Lizzybrat
09-24-2007, 01:13 PM
We're not going to die.. we can't die.. we're just too pretty for God to let us die." - Mal "Firefly"

Shamguard
09-24-2007, 02:02 PM
"Everything happens for one of two reasons:
1. They are B*$tards and they hate you.
2. You are a F**king idiot.
We would like it to be the first but it's probably the second.
The great thing about this is it works for everything. Just try it out.
The sun comes up to eary why? Because they are B*$tards and they hate me, for making me get up with the sun.
The sun come up to eary why? Because I'm a F**king idiot, for staying up so late when I knew I had to get up at sun up."
My friend Paul Burton (I don't know if he got it from someone else, but I like to give him credit for it.)

Then there is the other part of this:
Everyone is an idiot. At some point in our lives we all are an idiot. The what makes the difference is some of us recognize this fact and deal with it. Others just don't know they are idiots. These are the people we make fun of.
Paraphrase of Scott Adams, the creator of Dilbert, from his first book that I don't remember the title of, why see #2 above.

binnsr
09-24-2007, 02:11 PM
"There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't." -anonymous

Borrigain
09-24-2007, 02:47 PM
"Some say the pen is mightier than the sword.....Well, I say f*** the pen, cuz you can Die By the Sword!"

- Tom Arya, Slayer

:D

Borr.

Borrigain
09-24-2007, 02:49 PM

Then there is the other part of this:
Everyone is an idiot. At some point in our lives we all are an idiot. The what makes the difference is some of us recognize this fact and deal with it. Others just don't know they are idiots. These are the people we make fun of.
Paraphrase of Scott Adams, the creator of Dilbert, from his first book that I don't remember the title of, why see #2 above.

Well, I'm not an idiot......I'm a moron!

At least that's what my wife says :D

Borr.

Shyver
09-24-2007, 05:26 PM
"Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men for they may act their dream with open eyes and make it possible."

~~T.E. Lawrence

Deriaz
09-24-2007, 05:30 PM
I've got quotes I love from two authors, both of which, I believe, are geniuses. :3

Voltaire:

"I have lived eighty years of life and know nothing for it, but to be resigned and tell myself that flies are born to be eaten by spiders and man to be devoured by sorrow."

"Ice-cream is exquisite - what a pity it isn't illegal."

"Life is thickly sown with thorns, and I know no other remedy than to pass quickly through them. The longer we dwell on our misfortunes, the greater is their power to harm us."

"Stand upright, speak thy thoughts, declare;
The truth thou hast, that all may share;
Be bold, proclaim it everywhere:
They only live who dare."

And my personal favorite from him: "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Vonnegut, now:

"I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center."

"One of the few good things about modern times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have died in vain. You will have entertained us."
"Cold Turkey", In These Times, May 10, 2004

"Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college."
A Man without a Country

"1492. As children we were taught to memorize this year with pride and joy as the year people began living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America. Actually, people had been living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America for hundreds of years before that. 1492 was simply the year sea pirates began to rob, cheat, and kill them."
Breakfast of Champions

"How nice--to feel nothing, and still get full credit for being alive."
Slaughterhouse Five

"Like so many Americans, she was trying to construct a life that made sense from things she found in gift shops."
Slaughterhouse Five

And my personal favorite from Vonnegut: "All time is all time. It does not change. It does not lend itself to warnings or explanations. It simply is. Take it moment by moment, and you will find that we are all, as I've said before, bugs in amber."
Slaughterhouse Five

-D

Music_Man
09-25-2007, 01:29 PM
"Some say the pen is mightier than the sword.....Well, I say f*** the pen, cuz you can Die By the Sword!"

- Tom Arya, Slayer

Obviously he's never seen Casino ...
viscious short people.

Valzoric
09-25-2007, 01:53 PM
"Heroism consists of being able to hang on one second longer" ~ Norwegian Proverb

"In peace the sons bury their fathers, but in war the fathers bury their sons. " ~ Croesus

"It was once said that the moral test of Government is how that Government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; and those who are in the shadows of life, the sick, the needy and the handicapped." ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

Scarsgaard
09-25-2007, 02:03 PM
"Sometimes when you win you win, sometimes when you win you lose, sometimes when you lose you win and sometimes when you lose... you lose... what matters is knowing the difference"

Clive Owen, The Croupier

weyoun
09-25-2007, 03:11 PM
I've . . . seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those… moments will be lost . . . in time . . . like . . tears . . . in rain. Time . . . to die.

-Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer)

Best movie anti-hero ever!!

Theris
09-25-2007, 03:20 PM
"Tell me about an ambush. I ambushed you with a cup of coffee!"

Pittminion
09-25-2007, 04:09 PM
And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh.

In every real man a child is hidden that wants to play.

Perhaps I know best why it is man alone who laughs; he alone suffers so deeply that he had to invent laughter.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Tryp
09-25-2007, 05:28 PM
"Time... line? Time isn't made of lines! It is made of circles. That is why clocks are round."

~Caboose, RVB

Pfamily
09-25-2007, 05:43 PM
* Who's that than?
+ Uh, must be the King.
* The King? How can you tell?
+ He hasn't got s**t all over him.

-Monty Python

hennebux
09-25-2007, 09:47 PM
Nice quotes all !!! A friendly reminder, cite the source if at all humanly possible :D, I know y'all like alot of the characters quotes, but try and dig deep and name the artist if possible....Thnx :)

"Work is the curse of the drinking class."
-Oscar Wilde

Rayzorlew
09-26-2007, 06:29 AM
A dreamcatcher works, if your dream is to be gay.
-- Demetri Martin

Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.
-- Demetri Martin

I've been in love with the same woman for forty-one years. If my wife finds out, she'll kill me.
-- Henry Youngman

Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
--Winston Churchill

You know that look women get when they want sex? Me neither!
-- Drew Carey

My computer goes down on me more often than my girlfriend.
-- Robert Paul

The only way to make your PC go faster is to throw it out a window.
-- Robert Paul

loki523
09-26-2007, 11:04 AM
"1492. As children we were taught to memorize this year with pride and joy as the year people began living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America. Actually, people had been living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America for hundreds of years before that. 1492 was simply the year sea pirates began to rob, cheat, and kill them."

Sorry Vonnegut. It was thousands of years actually and they were robbing, cheating, and killing each other LONG before the Europeans did it. That's how humans roll...

Scarsgaard
09-26-2007, 11:24 AM
One thousand Swedes ran through the weeds,
chased by one Norwegian.
Where the dust from the weeds made snoose for the Swede,
they called it Copenhagen

Another unknown quote lauded by us Nords.. who kicked da butts of the Svedes:D

Sigmoid
09-26-2007, 11:38 AM
"For all our conceits about being the center of the universe, we live in a routine planet of a humdrum star stuck away in an obscure corner ... on an unexceptional galaxy which is one of about 100 billion galaxies. ... That is the fundamental fact of the universe we inhabit, and it is very good for us to understand that."
-- Carl Sagan, astronomer and writer (1934-1996)

Scarsgaard
09-26-2007, 03:25 PM
"See those girl scouts? Took 2 boxes.. oh"

Priscilla Presley's character..."Nothing offends me"

Ford Fairlane "Of course not, not with a horsewhip stuck up your ***"

Hot blonde, "Oooh Ford, can I get your phone number?"

Ford, "sure babe"

Hot blonde, "555-3467... hey! These aren't real numbers.. they only use this in the movies"

Ford, "of course not, what do you think this is? Real Life?"

from the man, Andrew Dice Clay of Ford Fairlane:D

Scarsgaard
09-26-2007, 03:55 PM
"It's a dog eat dog world, and from where I sit, there just ain't enough damn dogs"

Chainsaw Massacre 2 (80's version)

Valzoric
09-26-2007, 04:54 PM
"Where does he get those wonderful toys?" ~ The Joker(Jack Nicholson): Batman

"You're going to endanger us, you're going to endanger our client - the nice lady, who paid us in advance, before she became a dog." ~ Peter Venkman(Bill Murray): Ghost Busters

lostinjapan
09-27-2007, 05:50 AM
"My name is Ash and I am a slave."

"Shop smart. Shop S-mart."

"Well hello Mr. Fancypants."

"Honey, you got real ugly."

"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me. Blow."

"Yo, she-*****! Let's go!"

"Groovy."

"Gimme some sugar, baby."

"Hail to the king, baby."

"All right, you primitive screw-heads, listen up!"

"Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."

"I got a bone to pick with you."

"Alright. Who wants some?"

"Now I swear the next one of you primates even touches me..."

"Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand things with alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures."

"Oh that's just what we call pillow talk, baby, that's all."

"Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and ****... and Jack just left town."

Ash || Army of Darkness || Sam & Ivan Raimi

PaintHorseCowboy
09-27-2007, 09:14 AM
That was just on last night. LOL

Great movie too!

Solstyse
09-27-2007, 09:26 AM
:girl interviewing potential baby sitters
:man walks in the house
:girl " so have you ever watched kids before"
:man "yeah, from my car"

pana
09-27-2007, 10:03 AM
banana hammocks rule!!--- by the todd.

JelloMold
09-27-2007, 10:31 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! - Darth Vader

Here's an even better version from Your The Man Now Dog (http://ytmnd.com/)

http://vaderfortune.ytmnd.com/

Scarsgaard
09-27-2007, 11:07 AM
"Do or do not... there is no try."

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Yoda

"I bet she gives great Helmet"

"What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?"

"Say goodbye to your two best friends, and I don't mean your pals in the Winnebago"

"That was my virgin-alarm. It's programmed to go off before you do!"

Dark Helmet:D

hennebux
09-29-2007, 02:05 PM
:D "I see your shwartz is as big as mine" Dark Helmet (Rick Moranis) Spaceballs

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." ~Winston Churchill

Music_Man
09-30-2007, 12:48 AM
So, I kinda had to edit that so you could read it... just replace the italics with more vulgar synonyms.

"Guy in Bar:
See, there's three kinds of people: wieners, kitties, and bum-bums.
Kitties think everyone can get along, and wieners just want to fornicate all the time without thinking it through.
But then you got your bum-bums, Chuck. And all the bum-bums want us to poo-poo all over everything!
So, kitties may get mad at wieners once in a while, because kitties get fornicated by wieners.
But wieners also fornicate bum-bums, Chuck.
And if they didn't fornicate the bum-bums, you know what you'd get?
You'd get your wiener and your kittie all covered in poo-poo!"

( From Team America & those brilliant a-holes who bring us south park... Matt Stone & Trey Parker)

~Jules921
09-30-2007, 01:15 AM
* Windows error messages in Haiku

The Web site you seek
cannot be located, but
countless more exist.

--------------------------------------------

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

-----------------------------------------------

Program aborting:
Close all that you have worked on.
You ask far too much.

------------------------------------------------

Windows NT crashed.
I am the Blue Screen of Death.
No one hears your screams.

-------------------------------------------------

Yesterday it worked.
Today it is not working.
Windows is like that.

Your file was so big.
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.

-------------------------------------------

Stay the patient course.
Of little worth is your ire.
The network is down.

A crash reduces
your expensive computer
to a simple stone.

Three things are certain:
Death, taxes and lost data.
Guess which has occurred.

You step in the stream,
but the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Out of memory.
We wish to hold the whole sky,
but we never will.

------------------------------------------------

Having been erased,
The document you're seeking must
now be retyped.

Serious error.
All shortcuts have disappeared.
Screen. Mind. Both are blank.

Jules

Uamhas
09-30-2007, 03:25 AM
*applauds Jules*
That was very witty.

Litz
09-30-2007, 04:06 AM
I do not deny that many appear to have succeeded in a material way by cutting corners and by manipulating associates, both in their professional and in their personal lives. But material success is possible in this world and far more satisfying when it comes without exploiting others.
Alan Greenspan (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/alangreens169881.html)

~Jules921
09-30-2007, 06:43 AM
*applauds Jules*
That was very witty.

These were sent to me in an email - one that circulated a couple of years ago or I found on a newsgroup that I use to follow. I didn't think them up - but they are still relevant today. Lately its been the ones listed below:

You step in the stream,
but the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Stay the patient course.
Of little worth is your ire.
The network is down.

The Web site you seek
cannot be located, but
countless more exist.

At previous jobs it would have been:

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

Windows NT crashed.
I am the Blue Screen of Death.
No one hears your screams.

A crash reduces
your expensive computer
to a simple stone.

Jules

hennebux
09-30-2007, 11:38 PM
this aint the haiku corner...take your prose to a different thread...unless you wanna quote yourself...take your 2 bit jokes along with ya as well...

rhenford
10-01-2007, 01:57 AM
"Life is the birth canal of death."
-Unknown to me and google. Was told to me by my late uncle and great philosopher Fred Estrada

"Pelonius said 'to thine own self be true.' Who are you yourself to?"
A line from a poem by Jen Miles

Uamhas
10-01-2007, 08:49 AM
this aint the haiku corner...take your prose to a different thread...unless you wanna quote yourself...take your 2 bit jokes along with ya as well...

Q: What's the first thing a blonde says after sex?
A: "Are you guys all on the same team?"
Thank you, that'll be 25 cents.

Music_Man
10-01-2007, 06:05 PM
In light of what recently occured, the sentiment it reached, but the understanding we found I want to share some quotes from a personal hero of mine, Steve Prefontaine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Prefontaine) (1951-1975).

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."

"A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more."

"The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die.

"Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative."

"You have to wonder at times what you're doing out there. Over the years, I've given myself a thousand reasons to keep running, but it always comes back to where it started. It comes down to self-satisfaction and a sense of achievement. " [Some deny it if they wish, but there is some truth there. I know thats the reason I host events]

hennebux
10-05-2007, 02:28 AM
“To enjoy the things we ought, and to hate the things we ought, has the greatest bearing on excellence of character.”

~Aristotle

hennebux
10-07-2007, 01:37 AM
“When you are outraged by somebody’s impudence, ask yourself at once, “Can the world exist without impudent people?” It cannot; so do not ask for impossibilities.”

~Marcus Aurelius Antonius

Mark Anthony to the rest of you...

Memnir
10-07-2007, 03:13 AM
"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
~ Stephen Wright

Grettir
10-07-2007, 11:54 AM
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. -Groucho Marx.

One who is too insistent on his own views, finds few to agree with him.
Lao-tse

Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them-that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.
Lao-tse

HumanRogue
10-07-2007, 07:23 PM
"I got a fever... and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"
-Christopher Walken

Tryp
10-07-2007, 08:43 PM
When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, looks you crooked in the eye and asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."

-Jack Burton :D

Uamhas
10-08-2007, 08:51 AM
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles.
If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat.
If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
-sun tzu- translation from the art of war

hennebux
10-09-2007, 06:09 AM
"I'm a jock and I'm an athlete, and that's what I love to do."
~Marion Jones

The International Olympic Committee said it would move quickly to strip Jones of her medals after she pleaded guilty Friday to lying to federal investigators about using steroids.

Scarsgaard
10-09-2007, 10:14 AM
"No comment"

Hugh Grant, after getting caught getting a hummer from a transvestite hooker:D

Clay
10-09-2007, 11:36 AM
And let your best be for your friend ... for it is for him to fill your need and not your emptyness.

- Kahlil Gibran

Hey friend Rayzor.... about that W/P rapier...

:D

Braegan
10-09-2007, 12:59 PM
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather--who died peacefully in his
sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car." --Author Unknown

"Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group
for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar." --Drew Carey

"Relationships are hard. It's like a full time job, and we should treat
it like one. If your boyfriend or girlfriend wants to leave you, they should
give you two weeks' notice. There should be severance pay, the day before
they leave you, they should have to find you a temp." --Bob Ettinger

"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my
fish burger and I realize, Oh my God....I could be eating a slow learner."
--Lynda Montgomery

"Suppose you were an idiot .. And suppose you were a member of
Congress.... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

Quarion
10-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Lets all remember that while this thread is pretty neat, that it's against the forum guidelines to post obcene, sexual or otherwise offensive content... even if someone else said it.

5footStep
10-11-2007, 01:51 PM
“No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair.” - General George S. Patton.

Beherit_Baphomar
10-11-2007, 01:58 PM
When Arnaud-Amaury was asked during the Cathar massacre at Beziers in 1209 how the knights would tell the difference between Cathars and Roman Catholics, he replied;

"Caedite eos, Novit enim Dominus qui sunt Eius"

"Kill them all, God will know his own."

dragnmoon
10-11-2007, 02:14 PM
"when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

- Ernie Hudson as Winston Zeddemore in Ghostbusters

EazyWeazy
10-11-2007, 02:21 PM
It would be repetitive to type it here so please see my sig.

Generals
10-11-2007, 02:42 PM
After recent drama, this one comes to mind:

“If you blame others for your failures, do you credit them with your success?”
-anonymous

Palmetto
10-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Already in the sig...............

Dworkin_of_Amber
10-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Fight Fire with Arthur! - The Tick

Luke, you will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. - Obi-Wan Kenobi

NARF! - Pinky

Not in the mood? Mood's a thing for cattle and loveplay, not fighting! - Gurney Halleck (Dune)

Patient: "Doctor! Doctor! It hurts when I do this!"
Doctor: "Well, then don't do that."

Your Mother was a hampster and your Father smelt of Elderberries - The French Knight

You Killed the Immortal? - The Tick

This is a battle I do not think we can win - Captain Panaka

Gee I think so Brain, but if we didn't have ears, we'd look like weasels! - Pinky

Usul, we have wormsign the likes of which even God has never seen! - Stilgar (Dune)

Nothing can stop my plans for Total World Dominatio... Ooh! Look at the Kitty!

Ni!

Arthur, is this a warm moment, or should we be disturbed? - The Tick

The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am. - Darth Vadar

Brain: "Our ratings are in the toilet"
Pinky: "Oh, I'll get them"

I will bend like a reed in the wind - Paul Atreides

It was beginning to end, after what seemed an eternity - Corwin, Lord of Amber

See the violence inherant within the system. Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

Quick! Help Arthur! He's been teat-singed! - The Tick

Dirac
10-11-2007, 02:51 PM
"God does not exist, and Dirac is his prophet." -Wolfgang Pauli

Riot
10-11-2007, 03:38 PM
"Some say it's not what you do, but who you know,,,,
I say it's not what you know, but who you're doing!"

Solstice
10-11-2007, 04:32 PM
"Its been closed." - Q or Gelatinous Cube

(sorry, couldn't resist :D )

MysticTheurge
10-11-2007, 04:40 PM
I humbly submit to you:

"If a man be gracious and courteous to strangers, it shows he is a citizen of the world." - Francis Bacon

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - The Buddha

"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"The world of reality has its limits; the world of imagination is boundless." - Jean Jacques Rousseau

"Do you wish people to think well of you? Don't speak well of yourself." - Blaise Pascal

"Like all dreamers, I mistook disenchantment for truth." - Jean-Paul Sartre

"An intellectual is someone whose mind watches itself." - Albert Camus

"All the interests of my reason, speculative as well as practical, combine in the three following questions: 1. What can I know? 2. What ought I to do? 3. What may I hope?" - Immanuel Kant

"Time and memory are true artists; they remould reality nearer to the heart's desire." - John Dewey

"A propensity to hope and joy is real riches; one to fear and sorrow real poverty." - David Hume

"Anybody can become angry - that is easy, but to be angry with the right person and to the right degree and at the right time and for the right purpose, and in the right way - that is not within everybody's power and is not easy." - Aristotle

"New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common." - John Locke

"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." - Obi-wan Kenobi

kyebosh
10-11-2007, 06:53 PM
“The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.”

-George Carlin

TechNoFear
10-11-2007, 08:40 PM
I spent most of my money on booze, birds and fast cars............the rest I squandered.

George Best

The essence of Christianity is told us in the Garden of Eden history. The fruit that was forbidden was on the Tree of Knowledge. The subtext is, All the suffering you have is because you wanted to find out what was going on. You could be in the Garden of Eden if you had just kept your f***ing mouth shut and hadn't asked any questions.

Frank Zappa

Killum
10-11-2007, 09:45 PM
You can not sedate all the things you hate. -Marlyn Manson

Clay
10-11-2007, 11:11 PM
This country is founded, at least in part, on the firm belief that unpopular speech is vital to the health of our nation.

- Alan Isaacman (People VS Larry Flint)

Helmet
10-12-2007, 01:38 AM
"This wallpaper is killing me; one of us has to go." - last words of Oscar Wilde

wow
i almost need to change my shorts.

Nefahrin
10-12-2007, 06:01 AM
There's a balance you have to learn, between being able to do a little of everything, and therefore nothing at all really well, and becoming overspecialized and completely useless outside of your specialization.
Learning that balance is, I've always believed, part of becoming an adult.
I figure I'm about 20 years overdue to learn it.
~ Walter Slovotsky
(Character created by Joel Rosenberg)

ShadowBlade
10-12-2007, 07:28 AM
I forget who said it first:

"It was fate that brought me here, but it's the hate that makes me stay."

Live on New Xoriat, live on...

Ron
10-12-2007, 08:35 AM
"I can't help it, I'm a natural born lever puller."

Ringo Starr

JayDubya
10-12-2007, 09:24 AM
The road to quality has no end. So technically, it's more of a death march.
or

To laugh often and much;

To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;

To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;

To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;

To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;

To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.

This is to have succeeded.

- Bess Stanley (usu. attributed to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Memnir
10-12-2007, 09:31 AM
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Tryp
10-12-2007, 10:24 AM
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

There is a theory which states that if anyone discovers just exactly what the universe is for and why we are here, that it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.

I love deadlines. I especially love the swooshing sounds they make as they fly by.

All it takes to fly is to hurl yourself at the ground... and miss.

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

-Douglas Adams

Uamhas
10-12-2007, 03:10 PM
THE SKY IS FALLING!" -Chicken Little
"Wolf!" -Peter.

MysticTheurge
10-12-2007, 03:16 PM
"Wolf!" -Peter.

You know. "Peter and the Wolf" is a different story than "The Boy Who Cried Wolf."

Uamhas
10-12-2007, 03:19 PM
Well, if Peter and the Wolf is the one with the musical score that has a different instrument for each character, then that's the one I meant.

Magus_d
10-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Dance like no ones watching.

~Google has this attributed to 6 different people so I'll skip them all and say unknown

Gaermain
10-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Every man builds his world in his own image. He has the power to choose, but no power to escape the necessity of choice. ~ Ayn Rand

clay2
10-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Clerics are not vending machines.

- Gaermain

I like this... as I play cleric as a co-main

hennebux
10-14-2007, 07:52 PM
"I do not mean to exclude altogether the idea of patriotism. I know it exists, and I know it has done much in the present contest. But I will venture to assert, that a great and lasting war can never be supported on this principle alone. It must be aided by a prospect of interest, or some reward.

-George Washington

hennebux
10-18-2007, 07:53 AM
"Censorship is the commonest social blasphemy because it is mostly concealed, built into us by indolence, self-interest, and cowardice."

~John Osborne

PaintHorseCowboy
10-18-2007, 09:12 PM
If you are not willing to stand behind our troops,

please, please feel free.....

....to stand in front of them.

~~ Anonymous

~Randina
10-18-2007, 10:29 PM
"Fix the problem, not the blame" unknown author

hennebux
10-23-2007, 03:24 PM
To the ddo staff:

"Facts do not cease to exist
because they are ignored."

~ Aldous Huxley

lostinjapan
10-24-2007, 02:45 AM
Also to Turbine:

Apathy (http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/apathy.jpg)

Disservice (http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/disservice.jpg)

The quotes are on the images, for some reason I cannot embed in this thread.

Ringos
11-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Also to Turbine:

Apathy (http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/apathy.jpg)

Disservice (http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/disservice.jpg)

The quotes are on the images, for some reason I cannot embed in this thread.

Very nice!. I can print those out to counter the framed posters hanging all around me...they are everywhere!

caliestro
11-01-2007, 06:16 PM
"all we keep hearing over and over is regret regret regret"

"dear humanity,
we regret comming to earth. we regret being alien b@stards. we most deffinetly regret having our ragity fleet blown up by the marine corps."

"i don't want to kill you, just that your too ugly to let live"

halo 2 Sgt. Johnson

Then listen up! When i joined the core we didn't have any fancy shmancy tanks... we had sticks! 2 sticks and a rock for the whole platoon, and we had to share the rock! Buck up boy, your one very lucky marine.

Halo Sgt. Johnson

Sgt. Johnson: Where's the rest of your platoon?
Marine: Wasted, Sarge.
Marine: Which we will be too, sir! If we don't get the hell out of here!
Sgt. Johnson: You hit, Marine?
Marine: No, sir...
Sgt. Johnson: Then listen up! You had the chance to be afraid before you joined my beloved corps! But to guide you back to the true path, I've brought this motivational device!
[indicates Scorpion Tank]
Sgt. Johnson: Our big green style cannot be defeated!

hennebux
01-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Resurrected and back on track....

"Post yer best quotes right here !!!"

Be nice and attribute the phrase when at all possible...

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.”

~ John Quincy Adams

Cyco999
01-04-2008, 09:36 PM
"Vae victus" - Brennus of the Gauls 390bc

MysticTheurge
01-04-2008, 09:40 PM
You're supposed to be setting a good example, now will you get back to your coffin immediately! - Francesco Dellamorte, from Dellamorte Dellamore (Cemetary Man).

leozelig
01-04-2008, 10:11 PM
From a post-game discussion about hold person's effectiveness on various humanoids:

Sellestian: "Tonight I learned that hobgoblins are people, too..."

Reapent: "... yeah, they just want to be held."

hennebux
01-04-2008, 10:13 PM
“Nothing is so contagious as example; and we never do any great good or evil which does not produce its like.”

~ François de la Rochefoucauld

~Jules921
01-05-2008, 12:25 AM
"The mind is like a parachute- it only works when it's open."
-Lily Tomlin

" The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing "
- Edmund Burke

Jules

Sargoth
01-05-2008, 05:47 AM
No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.
George S. Patton

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security.
Benjamin Franklin

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
Benjamin Franklin

A few of my favorite quotes.

DoctorWhofan
01-05-2008, 09:32 PM
THis is actually a converstion:

"GIR!! You cannot jepordize the mission for Tacos!"

"Maybe you're right........I'll get a Bean Burrito too!"
-INVADER ZIM

"Goody! I'm gonna sing the 'Doom Song' now! Dooomm Doommm..."
-GIR

"Running time!"
-caboose
"I don't want to be dead, i want to be alive...or a cawboy!"
-caboose

"Monsiour, what do monsters have nightmares of?" "Me!"

"I just snogged Madame de Pompador!"

"I think I might have invented the banana Daquri a couple of centuries too soon...Always bring a banana to a party, Rose!"

"Fantastic!"

"Would you like a jelly baby?"

"Nice to meet you Rose, now Run for life!"

"Oh, I'm just Dazed and Confused, chasing this wee naked Lassy..."

"What a wonderful butler, He's So violent."

"You are a beautiful woman, probably"

(in falsetto)"Yeap, I still have it."
- The Doctor

"He's like Fire, and Ice, and Rage...
He's Like Night and the Storm at the Heart of the Sun...
He's Ancient and Forever, and He can see the Whole of Time and Space..."
-Timmy "Human Nature" Discribing The Doctor

"Sorry for all the inconvienace" God's Last message to Mankind. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

"She's a new ship, but she's got the right name, Treat her like a lady, and she'll always bring you home."
-Admiral Leonard "Bones" McCoy, before leaving the USS ENTERPRISE NCC-1701-D

AND the BEST....

"Go, my children, Kill, Maim and Destroy in Thy name!"

-The Goddess of Tempest's Spine

Ringos
01-06-2008, 12:41 AM

That was one of my favorites DoctorWhoFan! I nearly choked on my jelly baby when I first heard him say that.

See my sig for the best one though...

DoctorWhofan
01-06-2008, 02:04 AM

That was one of my favorites DoctorWhoFan! I nearly choked on my jelly baby when I first heard him say that.

See my sig for the best one though...

THe butler one is from the same episode.

ahh...Tom Baker.

Here's another:

Rose: "How come you sound like you are from the North?"

The Doctor: "Lots of planets have a North!"

-or-

"HERE COME THE DRUMS!"

-the Master

-or-

ROSE: "DOesn't the Universe implode or something, if THe Doctor Dances?"

-or-

"It's bigger on the inside than on the outside"

-just about every Companion says about the TARDIS

Lost_Leader
01-06-2008, 08:55 AM
"Strange is just a different point of view."
-Ken Block, Sister Hazel

"Now there is a fine example of Aerobics over Genetics."
-3rd Rock from the Sun

Sokar6000
01-06-2008, 09:26 AM
THe butler one is from the same episode.

Rose: "How come you sound like you are from the North?"

The Doctor: "Lots of planets have a North!"

Slight nitpick, it was actually Harriet Jones who asked about the northern accent, and then Rose said "Lots of planets have a north."

One of my favorites was in the episode "Dalek" (9th Doctor) where he is telling the scientist in Utah that he knows nothing about alien technology.

Scientist: "And you claim greater knowledge?"

Doctor: "I don't need to make claims, I know how good I am."

Ringos
01-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Oh I remembered the butler quote too...it was funny, but not AS funny as the other. Actually, if I watched that episode again, I could probably find a bunch more. It was really well written!

DoctorWhofan
01-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Slight nitpick, it was actually Harriet Jones who asked about the northern accent, and then Rose said "Lots of planets have a north."

One of my favorites was in the episode "Dalek" (9th Doctor) where he is telling the scientist in Utah that he knows nothing about alien technology.

Scientist: "And you claim greater knowledge?"

Doctor: "I don't need to make claims, I know how good I am."

In correct, THe first Episode "Rose" rose asked him that. When Harriet Jones assked again, it was a flashback to that conversation with Rose. THey were on the bridge.

DoctorWhofan
01-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Oh I remembered the butler quote too...it was funny, but not AS funny as the other. Actually, if I watched that episode again, I could probably find a bunch more. It was really well written!

That ep was written by the Late Great Douglas Adams!! He was the script editor at the time and they had to rewrite the script. THus the pseudonym

usefullidiot
01-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is an armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjaman Franklin

You may be a financial wizard with a sack of loot.
All I see is a slimey lizzard in an expensive suit. -Lemmy

Coca Cola and Armageddon.
We like it. Like it. Yes we do. - Neal Fallon (Clutch)

MistressofDeath
01-06-2008, 08:17 PM
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a dodgeball," Patches in the movie Dodgeball. Love that movie! :cool:

Ringos
01-06-2008, 11:30 PM
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a dodgeball," Patches in the movie Dodgeball. Love that movie! :cool:

Great movie! We actually have a dodgeball gathering every year the weekend before Christmas. This year wasn't bad but usually we can't move for about a week. Good times!

lostinjapan
01-07-2008, 02:23 AM
I'm not sure I'm getting the exact words, so I'm not going to "", but the meaning is there...

The single most unforgiveable sin is to ever accept any 'fact', simply on authority. ~Robert A. Heinlein To Sail Beyond The Sunset

cardmj1
01-07-2008, 02:29 AM
When asked when he died and saw God, what would he like to hear God say to him...

"Wow."

Johnny Depp

caliestro
01-07-2008, 09:47 PM
what u call me is a Playa In Managment Position...........A PIMP jeff dunham

there is always that 1 person for everyone sometimes there is two people for that 1 person i like to call that the jackpot

hennebux
01-08-2008, 02:50 AM
Thought I would send a couple rejoinder quote to usefull :)

"If you think you got what it takes, shove it out, run it up the flagpole and see who salutes it." ~ Lemmy

"I have discovered the body of John Wilkes Booth ! ...Everybodys gotta make a living somehow." ~ Clutch

Nealgus
01-10-2008, 11:30 AM
If you got the facts on your side, pound the facts; if you got the law, pound the law; if you have neither, pound the table. -Unknown

You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word. – Al Capone

A closed mouth gathers no feet. - Anonymous

And some of my favorite quotes of all time come from Yogi Berra former Yankees catcher. The remainder of the quotes are all from him.

You can observe a lot by just watching
No wonder nobody comes here -- it's too crowded.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."
"He hits from both sides of the plate. He's amphibious."
"I always thought that record would stand until it was broken."
"I don't know (if they were men or women fans running naked across the field). They had bags over their heads."
"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did."
"I never said most of the things I said."
"It ain't the heat, it's the humility."
"It's like deja vu all over again."
"Take it with a grin of salt."
"You should always go to other people's funerals, otherwise, they won't come to yours."
"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going because you might not get there."
"We made too many wrong mistakes."

JacknCoke
01-10-2008, 09:32 PM
I don't know if this was posted yet, but I was running with some people. Forgive me but i don't remember the name of the person who said it but we all got a kick out of it.

Someone went gun-ho and ran off from the group and the healer said:

"sorry I don't heal stupid"

I still love it!

Ringos
01-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Yeah, you'll find clerics like that (99.9% of 'em!) but I always find myself healin' stupid anyway. I'm too nice...and it's usually a guildmate of myself!

Sambvca
01-10-2008, 11:54 PM
I like my sex like I like my basketball. 1 on 1 and with the least ammount of dribbling possible.
Detective Frank Drebben - Police Squad

~Jules921
01-11-2008, 07:28 AM
Proverb (Portuguese I think):
"Be careful what you wish for; you just might get it."

On a bookmark I got for Christmas:
"Shoot for the Moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."
Les Brown

Enjoy your Friday everyone,
Jules

Uamhas
01-11-2008, 09:04 AM
"May you live in interesting times." ancient chinese curse/blessing?

Ministry
01-11-2008, 11:54 AM
"You don't have the sense God gave a donut, do you?"

- Newspaperman Jack Buggit (Scott Glenn) to Quoyle (Kevin Spacey) in 'The Shipping News'

Reminds me of far too many people...and every time I see that episode where Homer is dreaming his head is a donut and he's eating it... I think of that quote.

caliestro
01-11-2008, 01:22 PM
'shotgun' Simmons
'shotgun' Griff
'****' Griff
'shotgun's lap' Doughnut
'****' Simmons

schroebj13
01-11-2008, 01:30 PM
"Doh!"

Homer J Simpson

Kerr
01-11-2008, 03:15 PM
"Shhhhhh! Do you smell that?"
-Dr Winston Stanze

hennebux
01-11-2008, 05:09 PM
“Hatred paralyses life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it.”

~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

P.S> I'm tired of junk pop culture quotes.... Get it together.
come up with a real chunk of wisdom or step off...

~Jules921
01-11-2008, 08:17 PM
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle

Memnir
01-11-2008, 09:50 PM
“Your heart is my piñata.”
~ Chuck Palahniuk

Ringos
01-12-2008, 12:14 AM
“Hatred paralyses life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it.”

P.S> I'm tired of junk facsimile pop culture quotes.... Get it together.

"You fill up my senses, like a night in the forest" -John Denver

Better?

Uamhas
01-12-2008, 12:51 AM
"Don't have a cow, man." -Bart Simpson

P.S> I'm tired of junk facsimile pop culture quotes.... Get it together.

Sokar6000
01-12-2008, 08:23 AM
"When the stables were burnt down, on returning from court, Confucius asked 'Was anyone hurt?' He did not ask about the horses."

Analects X:11.

Krysta_Shadowvol
01-12-2008, 10:18 AM
We will not tire. We will not falter, and we will not fail. George W. Bush

My fellow Americans, let's roll... George W. Bush

Memnir
01-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do.
-Volatire

Sokar6000
01-13-2008, 07:43 PM
"When Yen Hui died, the master wept uncontrollably. The disciples said "Master, you are going overboard with this!" Confucius said, "Going overboard? If I can't cry now, when should I cry?"

Analects XI:9.

"The ocean of the world can be filled, yet the tiny mouth of a human being can never be filled."

Buddhist Proverb.

hennebux
01-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Playing along with the ancient chinese secret I got one for ya. One of my favorites.

..Profit comes from what is there;
Usefulness from what is not..

-Eleven, Tao Te Ching

And, an old judaic proverb, which always reminds me of Xoriat ...

It was good, but it's good that it was.

Sokar6000
01-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Because I'm bored trying to get my homework done, and because I have the Analects and my Buddhist proverb book open in front of me;

"Tzu Kung asked about government:

The Master said, 'Enough food, enough weapons, and the confidence of the people.

Tzu Kung said, 'Suppose you had no alternative but to give up one of the three, which would you let go first?'

The Master said, 'Weapons.'

Tzu Kung said, "What if you had to give up one of the remaining two, which would it be?'

The master said, 'Food. From ancient times, death has come to all men, but a people without confidence in it's rulers will not stand."

Analects XII:7.

"When one has correct faith, one will not go wrong on the journey of life."

Buddhist Proverb.

hennebux
01-14-2008, 04:13 AM
"All share complicity in the destruction of that much under-rated phenomenon called liberty."

~Barbara Amiel

OrganGrinder
01-14-2008, 05:14 AM
This year I'm voting Republican, the Democrats left a bad taste in my mouth....Monica Lewinsky

Gun don't kill people, religons do...Anon

Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President...Theodore Roosevelt

Bush-Cheney, Why change Horsemen Mid-Apocalypse.....Anon

hennebux
01-18-2008, 10:49 PM
"Men regard it as their right to return evil for evil and, if they cannot, feel they have lost their liberty"

~Aristotle

~Jules921
01-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Voltaire:

Judge others by their questions rather than by their answers.

Jules

Sokar6000
01-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Tzu Lu asked about how to govern. Confucius said, "Lead the people and work hard for them."

"Is there anything else?"

"Don't get discouraged."

Analects XIII:1.

"Use wisdom to contemplate the meaning of life. Use resolve to organize the time you are given."

Buddhist Proverb.

~Jules921
01-24-2008, 06:19 AM
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

William Shakespeare from MacBeth

Jules

Thrombur_Stormforger
01-30-2008, 08:00 AM
Carry the battle to them,
Never let them bring it to you.
Always keep them on the defensive,
And NEVER apologize for anything.

Harry S. Truman

Memnir
01-30-2008, 08:17 AM
"If it’s true that our species is alone in the universe, then I’d have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
~ George Carlin

Tannniss
01-30-2008, 08:24 AM
I meant what I said...and I said what I meant...an elephants faithfull....one-hundrerd percent - Horton Hears a Who

Sargoth
01-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Great minds talk about ideas.
Average minds talk about events.
Small minds talk about people.

-Unknown

hennebux
03-31-2008, 03:30 AM
Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation, are people who want crops without ploughing the ground; they want rain without thunder and lightning; they want the ocean without the roar of its many waters.

~Frederick Douglass

Yshkabibble
03-31-2008, 09:28 AM
"IF.... If your Aunt had balls she'd be your Uncle.

-My Dad

hennebux
04-04-2008, 02:25 AM
Please keep to the original purpose of the thread.

This is not the haiku, peorsanal verbage, pop culture, funny thing I heard last week thread.

This is not the quote your favorite, movie, quip, song, or fortune cookie thread.

This is the potent quotable thread.

Dedicated to the feeling ya get when you read an inspired phrase and appreciate a new understanding of an idea from a select few words.

You have not converted a man because you have silenced him.
~John Morley

petegunn
04-05-2008, 06:05 AM
I apologize if this has been posted already ,i never read the full thread .
"Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances."
Grand Moff Tarkin Imperial death star

lostinjapan
04-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Potent Quotable:

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. ~~Ronald Reagan

A little lighter view:
It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first. ~~Ronald Reagan

Luthen
04-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Hmm... had some quotes but then the OP specified what NOT to quote. I hereby decline further participation.

hennebux
04-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Your progress is reflected back as Grace, your decline is reflected back as its absence. The mirror just reflects. It has no partiality or prejudice.”

~Sri Sathya Sai Baba

Uamhas
04-07-2008, 07:52 AM
(From H.L. Mencken)
Conscience is the inner voice that warns us someone is looking.
Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.

Vaypor
04-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.

Anonymous

Sambvca
04-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Please keep to the original purpose of the thread.

This is not the haiku, peorsanal verbage, pop culture, funny thing I heard last week thread.

This is not the quote your favorite, movie, quip, song, or fortune cookie thread.

This is the potent quotable thread.

–adjective 1.powerful; mighty: a potent fighting force. 2.cogent; persuasive: Several potent arguments were in his favor. 3.producing powerful physical or chemical effects: a potent drug. 4.having or exercising great power or influence: a potent factor in the economy. 5.(of a male) capable of sexual intercourse.

regarding #5

"Hey everybody! We're all gonna get l**d!"

Rodney Dangerfield - Caddyshack

Bekki
04-08-2008, 10:53 AM
"I read your book." General George S. Patton.

Upon defeating Field Marshall Irwin R. Rommel
in battle during WWII.

Bekki
04-09-2008, 03:22 PM
"Military action is important to the Nation-
it is the ground of life and death,
the path of survival and destruction,
so it is imperative to examine it." - Master Sun Tzu

Alavatar
04-18-2008, 06:19 PM
"We must not solve a problem using the same kind of thinking that created it."
-Albert Einstein

"No thanks. I don't like lemons."
-Jack the Rabbit

"What the s**t!? He stole my phone!"
-Pedestrian in The Matrix

KIELBASEE555
04-25-2008, 11:33 AM
the radio personality Howard Chizic 10:am to 3:pm has said these quotes many times.

1: not all muslums are terrorist, but ALL terorist tend to be muslum. the english/irish gun rites need not apply. MOST terrorist are MUSLUM.

2: most homeless people are not homeless by sercumstance. they are homeless by CHOICE
they want to live on the street, and want to live a panhandlers life. just go HOME to thier atmideit family

3: homosexual behavior is Tought to children who do not have a choice to have abstinance values (you know reall morals, write and wrongs)
Most homosexuals do NOT want to be blended with sex crimes with children.... forgive my spelling (pet-i-phile) behaviour is Linked to homosexual behaviour.

4: racisium is also Tought and perpetuated by people who do not want it to be forgotten.