PDA

View Full Version : Any word when trebuchets will be implemented?

Litz
09-22-2007, 11:50 AM
Got thinking about what would make DDO really cool and stand out in the world of MMOs and ofcourse how I can stay busy while waiting for mod 5. Then I stumbled onto http://www.trebuchet.com/. Just imagine not only being able to buy player housing, but also being able to bring it down! So devs, when can we expect to see it?

:)

Taur
09-22-2007, 12:03 PM
the pvp haters would never let that fly. turbine bends to the will of those who yell the loudest no matter how assinine their position.

maybe in one of the ctf areas this would work out but...

Grizzt14
09-22-2007, 12:10 PM
ok, honestly doubt it would happen, because housing is so far away anyhow and they already have a pvp area, and guilds may not like their homes getting mowed down by someone with nothing to do at two in the morning.

Aesop
09-22-2007, 12:15 PM
Tell me that wouldn't be awesome though :) SIege Warfare and the whole 9 yards :)

I would even join a guild if this kind of guild warfare was incorporated :D

Aesop

Leetsneaks101
09-22-2007, 12:18 PM
DDO is PvE. PvP + DDO = Ridiculous.

Period.

EDIT: If it was in a PvE quest, hands down, that would be amazing... But PvP in here just doesn't mean anything, and it NEVER should.

cryptic
09-22-2007, 12:20 PM
it would be nice to have a quest where we have to fight or sneak our way to a castle, city or town is being attacked and help defeat or defend it. And some players can man the treuchets, balistas, and catapults.

Shmuel
09-22-2007, 12:39 PM
We'll see that stuff either when hell freezes over or when they start advertising, printing, and selling this game again.

cryptic
09-22-2007, 12:51 PM
We'll see that stuff either when hell freezes over or when they start advertising, printing, and selling this game again.

just checked Wetherbug for hells forcast and it won't be freezing for a while, so i hope they start advertising, printing, and selling this game again. lol

wundernewb
09-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Got thinking about what would make DDO really cool and stand out in the world of MMOs and ofcourse how I can stay busy while waiting for mod 5. Then I stumbled onto http://www.trebuchet.com/. Just imagine not only being able to buy player housing, but also being able to bring it down! So devs, when can we expect to see it?

:)

Heh, if you want to buy an expensive piece of siege machinery for bringing down a single dwelling, go ahead. Me, I prefer the accuracy and simplicity of several well-thrown torches :D

moorewr
09-23-2007, 09:57 AM
ok, honestly doubt it would happen, because housing is so far away anyhow ...

That's why we need siege weapons! Because the houses are so far away!

Lorien_the_First_One
09-23-2007, 10:33 AM
we don't need idiot players random taking down someone else's house it the middle of the night. It's pointless, meanspirited, and its the last thing we need in game.

Grizzt14
09-23-2007, 10:35 AM
guys, don't get me wrong, it would be cool, but like i said earlier, someone with nothing to do will mow the guildhouses down in the middle of the night. is that really cool, not really....

cdbd3rd
09-23-2007, 10:36 AM
we don't need idiot players random taking down someone else's house it the middle of the night. It's pointless, meanspirited, and its the last thing we need in game.

Very true. However - if we had the chance to fire them at a gnoll encampment out in the desert... ;)

:p

Litz
09-23-2007, 11:52 AM
True to alot of what has been said. Thing is your thinking to narrowly. I said wouldn't it be cool to be able to bring the player housing down. Notice I did not say GUILD housing? So picture this. A section of stormreach is set aside for guild housing, and is protected by the coin lords patrols. Then there is the cheap end of town where players can buy player housing (or guilds who are broke or adventurous). This section of town isn't patroled because they don't get paid enough for this kind of danger. Walking in the streets is a PvP zone, but to declare war on a building both parties must be willing, and can withdraw at any time (uncheck the UI box), but there is a penalty. There needs to be stakes to the conflict that the winner wins by defeating the other team. They can wager cash, items, or even the property itself. Defeating a building is when the flag is captured or touches the ground. Defeating an assault team is when you disable or capture all of thier siege wepons.

This is just my twisted view on how it can be. Someone who is payed enough to sit and think about it should probably think about it more than I.

Tenkari_Rozahas
09-23-2007, 12:05 PM
I cna see it now.....

"We need to get soemone across this big assed chasm to let down the bridge."
"Hey, here's a Trebuchet."
"Lets launch the half-ling over with it!"
"..... screw you guys."
*he gets launched across.*

GlassCannon
09-23-2007, 12:18 PM
I cna see it now.....

"..... screw you guys."

that would be so funny...:::giggles at the thought of little people flying through the air:: :o:rolleyes::):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:eek::D:D:D:D: o:o:rolleyes::D

issiana
09-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Tell me that wouldn't be awesome though :) SIege Warfare and the whole 9 yards :)

I would even join a guild if this kind of guild warfare was incorporated :D

Aesop

i might be a little off here, but wasnt that part off Dark age of camelot? I always thought they had the whole seige warfare bits in that game.

chemonz
09-23-2007, 11:59 PM
What does housing do exactly in an MMO? What purpose does it really have? I think the Trebuchet idea is great because it gives housing a true purpose.:D

Emili
09-24-2007, 07:36 AM
What does housing do exactly in an MMO? What purpose does it really have? I think the Trebuchet idea is great because it gives housing a true purpose.:D

I remember a friend who was an original subscriber to ultima online. There player housing was your bank ... you kept all your stuff there. Anyway ultima online allowed PvP all over the game. low level players were constantly sacked by the higher level players. This friend of mine told me he used to run for his house when people were not looking and lock the door. Well one day they caught him at the door, killed him and ransacked all his stuff. he could not keep people out of his house after that because he was dead and everytime he logged in they killed him again... for over a week they did this to him until he canceled his account.

Litz
09-24-2007, 07:52 AM
I remember a friend who was an original subscriber to ultima online. There player housing was your bank ... you kept all your stuff there. Anyway ultima online allowed PvP all over the game. low level players were constantly sacked by the higher level players. This friend of mine told me he used to run for his house when people were not looking and lock the door. Well one day they caught him at the door, killed him and ransacked all his stuff. he could not keep people out of his house after that because he was dead and everytime he logged in they killed him again... for over a week they did this to him until he canceled his account.

Nope not my intention of having this developed. The fighting in the streets would be the same as the pits in the taverns, and the housing war would have clear stakes, and a definate winner/loser for just one agreed upon conflict. Not even the chance for 3rd parties to interfere. At least with my vision. No telling what they can come up with.

ErgonomicCat
09-24-2007, 09:13 AM
ok, honestly doubt it would happen, because housing is so far away anyhow and they already have a pvp area, and guilds may not like their homes getting mowed down by someone with nothing to do at two in the morning.

Consider the SWG model:

You can flag yourself non-combatant, combatant, or special forces.

Non-combatants have no PVP at all.

Combatants can fight in the civil war, but only against NPCs. They can't help special forces.

Special Forces are full on PVP at all times.

You can buy bases. Combatant bases are stocked with NPCs, and can only be attacked by Combatants.

Special Forces bases are stocked with NPCs, and have a daily window of a couple hours when they can be attacked by PCs. PCs can also defend them.

The bases are "expensive" - they are a big investment, but minimal cost against those who can't figure out how to spend their cash.

Moneysink!

Not that I expect it to happen - that's a huge investment in coding for a relatively small pay off. In SWG it was needed, because the Galactic Civil War is the *whole freakin' point* of the SW universe.

Here, it's just people mad at each other. ;) But it could easily be House based....

In_Like_Flynn
09-24-2007, 10:02 AM
I think it's obvious which (half) race would be the ammunition.

bnrilfun
09-24-2007, 10:33 AM
Dwarf-tossing should not be allowed in the game. It is time we stood up for a bereft of height brethren and put down this movement towards adding Trebuchets to the game and then tieing down a poor Dwarf only to get him to unlock the doors on top of the mountain.

Charmazal
09-24-2007, 11:36 AM
You've got to be kidding.

Litz
09-24-2007, 04:09 PM
You've got to be kidding.

Nope sir

DSL
09-24-2007, 05:00 PM
Trebuchets?

C'mon, this is Eberron, just use a giant laser!

dragnmoon
09-24-2007, 05:11 PM
PvP to me with no Story basis to the game is what ruins it for me. All the great PvP Games had a story for it and a reason why you are fighting each other..

DDO does not.. SO to me adding a Siege aspect in PvP just does not fit DDO as it is now..

Now if they were to add another side like being able to play the evil races or what they do in LotR:Online with you being able to play a monster, then i would go for it.

I can barely get the current version of PvP past my sensabilities on storyline.

Edit: That was my only opjection to adding PvP to DDO in the first place... not because it does not fit the essence of D&D but because it makes no sense to the storline in the current way DDO is set up. I had a suggested way to implement a version of PvP that not only I think is cool but fits the Story here (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=121300).

Litz
09-24-2007, 05:32 PM
Dwarf-tossing should not be allowed in the game. It is time we stood up for a bereft of height brethren and put down this movement towards adding Trebuchets to the game and then tieing down a poor Dwarf only to get him to unlock the doors on top of the mountain.

If you guys are just thinking Dorfs & Halflings your not thinking big enough. A true Trebuche should be able to toss a Half-Orc or WF easily.

Aesop
09-24-2007, 05:46 PM
If you guys are just thinking Dorfs & Halflings your not thinking big enough. A true Trebuche should be able to toss a Half-Orc or WF easily.

oooo... WF with Adamantine Body... they'd go through buildings no problem. (Adamanitine ignores the Hardness of an Object)

oh oh oh then we could have WF Shock Troopers. They penetrae the walls of a castle by being launched through it by a trebuchet and then beat everyone up that is inside while they stare in utter confusion.

Aesop

Girevik
09-24-2007, 05:47 PM
i might be a little off here, but wasnt that part off Dark age of camelot? I always thought they had the whole seige warfare bits in that game.

Yes, they had well developed Siege Warfare, including battering rams and ballista. You didn't get experience for Seige Engine kills in PVE, but it was still fun skewering flyers with ballista.

(I played on the PvE server, so I didn't play with them in true Realm vs Realm warfare.)

I would imagine Warhammer: Age of Reckoning, which is also from Mythic, the DAoC people, will probably have seige equipment either initially or eventually as well. (And speaking of Orc tossing, the theatrical style trailer for WAR shows them lobbing an Orc.)

Brianius
09-24-2007, 09:28 PM
in a quest id be kewl, but pvp isnt meaningful enough to do anything like guild pvp and ddo isnt set up for conqurable territories

Invalid_86
09-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Focus man! There are bigger fish to fry in the game!

transtemporal
09-25-2007, 03:52 AM
I heard that Turbine were considering implementing Trebuchets instead of the fly spell. Can anyone confirm? :D

Pyromaniac
09-25-2007, 05:21 AM
Given my barbarian can carry 41,000+ pounds when raging/madstoning etc, I should be able to throw a halfing or a pickup truck across the room. (Check your carry limit when you're in the 40+ strength range its funny)

One vote for the /toss emote :)

Litz
09-25-2007, 05:31 AM
Given my barbarian can carry 41,000+ pounds when raging/madstoning etc, I should be able to throw a halfing or a pickup truck across the room. (Check your carry limit when you're in the 40+ strength range its funny)

One vote for the /toss emote :)

sure those are pounds and not grams or some other unit of measure?

-----EDIT----

Nevermind your right it has the "lbs." marked. Never noticed.

I heard that Turbine were considering implementing Trebuchets instead of the fly spell. Can anyone confirm? :D

Now what fun is flying over walls? Its too slow and no bang, pop, or boom at the end. Using the fly spell from reavers raid would get you killed. Imagine trying to go over a defended wall using it. You'd get eaten up by arrow fire & spells before you could land.

Spookydodger
09-25-2007, 11:44 AM
It definitely will be a part of Age of Conan. They seem to be purposing a large part of the game towards Siege Warfare, defending your guild's keep against either NPC aggressors or, I think, PC as well.

Armathia
09-25-2007, 12:07 PM
Hmmm I'm thinking more of a football type arena where there is a trebuchet at either end n maybe hurling halflings colliding in mid field air ;) hehe

Twerpp
09-25-2007, 01:00 PM
I cna see it now.....

"..... screw you guys."

Ok we can have trebuchets, but can I request fly potions first?