PDA

View Full Version : Remake?

D'rin
09-21-2007, 12:23 PM
What are peoples thoughts on remaking for a couple of reasons. He is chaotic good. which is fine but if I remake it will be with one lvl of rogue so I can umd pure good weapons. So I would go true neutral to decrease the pain in the ass of the unholy weapons out there.
I have a couple of paths I may take with him but that is not the question. The question I propose is do people think it is worth remaking to get the rogue skills and the true neutral compared to a normal lvl 14 pure ranger? I am not saying that I will delete the other until I know that splitting the classes does not hurt you in any way. I don't have that much raid gear on the ranger. About the only thing that I have is the cloak from the queen. So I would not be loosing a bunch of gear. Which if I take one route will mean nothing since I might take the dragon marks for displacement.

Jaysensen
09-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Ok, there are two or three optimal alignments for Rangers.

N - only use this if you can get to a standing 20 UMD to equip PG weapons. This alignment takes less damage from unholy attacks. Allows you to take advantage (kind of) of Stability and Greater Stability (theres some new item right?).
LG - allows you to hotswap PG weapons. Takes a negative level from Anarchic weapons, forcing you to use True Chaos via 20 UMD. Allows you to take Paladin levels in your build.
NG - allows you to hotswap PG weapons, and does not take negative levels from Anarchic or Axiomatic. Good if you dont plan on UMD or Paladin levels.

The single Rogue level allows for a whole new dimension of utility from your party slot. I personally consider 13/1s better than pures, but many believe pure is better. Pure Rangers DO have advantages, though.

I think the most important questions are: are you unhappy knowing your character can be better, and do you think your character will be better if you reroll?

D'rin
09-24-2007, 04:23 PM
I have a 1rog/13ranger str based dwarf. I have a 14th lvl pure ranger. With the extra slots we are getting with mod 5 I figure remake my original and see how things pan out as the cap increases. The most common weapons that I use with him are not rr or pure good(except my holy burst pg rapier, but I have a holy burst righteous). If I level them both at the same time I can easily pick which I want to have all my uberist loot when the time comes.

I figure I will go neutral since 20 umd is not that hard to do. Since I probablly would not do pally lvls. I would either go more rogue lvls if nothing is good after lvl 16 or fighter for more feats.

Soul-Shaker
09-24-2007, 06:47 PM
It all depends on how you want to end up playing in the end. This is because nothing really comes after 15 rgr besides hide in plain sight which I dont see DDO implementing anything for since hide already isnt that great. So getting 1 splash of rog at level 1 will allow you to maximize skill points and with decent int, max all rog skills. If your just going for UMD, then you could even go 1 bard if non lawful alignment and get an additional +2 will save vs rogs only +2 ref. If you have decent charisma which you will need just to get umd 22 on a pure rgr, you might as well splash 2 lvls of paladin later just to get +saves from charisma. My third ranger myself is lawful neutral lvl 12 rgr atm which is planned to be 15 rgr/1 monk then 4 levels of probably ftr or wiz. I didnt plan to splash paladin in this build all because I started with higher wisdom and little cha to take advantage of monk, which fixes the low will save problem rangers have. Also lawful neutral means I dont have to deal with unholy weapons.

So to answer your question, depends on your end goals. build it based on your stats, what class(es) you would want to end with(3max), saves, etc and how you play.

D'rin
09-24-2007, 08:30 PM
We will see hide in plain sight(I know I am hilarious). I do like the idea of a monk ranger hybrid. But again I could do this with 1 lvl of rog as well. So lawful neutral could be pretty cool. I could even go 1rog/1monk/18 ranger or some combo there of. Also lvl 16 may have superior twf. It was in the compendium originally but got taken out. It needed dex of 19 to able to take it. I think we will see that 16th is the last great lvl for rangers unless they add in epic levels.

D'rin
10-13-2007, 11:49 AM
With the way things work I can't take the feats I wanted to. I was planning on
1st weapon finesse
3rd least dragon mark
6th lesser dragon mark
9th improved critical piercing
12th extend

The bummer is that I can not take weapon finesse at 1st, since I forgot you need a bab of +1 and starting as rogue its not possible. So I can either move everything down one slot(which would stink or moving improved crit) and take extend later, or wait for the lvl cap to increase or take a level of fighter to get the weapon finesse feat earlier.

Riekan
10-19-2007, 07:52 AM
Just swap your feats at 1 and 3. Take the least dragon mark at 1 and weapon finesse at 3, keeping everything else the same. Getting to level 3 takes all of a couple hours if you push, so in the long run, you'll never even notice the difference.

D'rin
10-23-2007, 03:19 PM
For some reason I thought you had to be lvl 3 to take the least dragon mark. I may now just have to reroll.

D'rin
10-24-2007, 08:58 AM
So I did the reroll last night and went true neutral. My stats are
str 14
dex 18
con 12
int 15
wis 9
cha 9

I put a +1 tome in int, wis and cha at lvl 1. This allowed me get one more point to put into skills. So now I can max out open lock, disable device, umd, search, spot and one other ranger skill. I may not max out open lock. If I skip it occassionally I can add 2 points to some ranger skills. Not sure doing so I may just keep it maxed in case they give us some impossible locks.

The only part I might want to change would be to possiblly take a lvl of monk later so I would need to be lawful neutral. Not sure it will be worth it.