PDA

View Full Version : CONTEST: User-Written Game Guides!

Quarion
09-20-2007, 03:25 PM
NOTE: The contest deadline has been extended to October 24th 2007!

Start your typewriters err...word processors! Are you a wiz at Dungeons and Dragons Online™ (DDO)? Do you know everything there is to know about the game? Why not share your knowledge and possibly score some big-time loot? We are accepting submissions for the first Player to Player Contest! We're looking for the BEST user written Game Guides, as judged by the community and the DDO Devs! If your guide has got what it takes, you could win one of three great Dungeons and Dragons™ prize packs and your guide could be published in the online DDO Compendium!
Guides will be judged in the following categories:
Most used/usefulness (Community voting)
Dev judging in these categories:
Accuracy
Completeness
Readability/Grammar/Spelling
Degree of Demand (including how many other guides already exist on the same topic)
Ease of understanding You can write your guide on any topic related to DDO, and should be at least 300 words.

How to Enter:
To enter, post your guide in the Game Guides Forum (http://forums.ddo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104), AND email your submission and the link to your post to DDOContests@turbine.com to signify entry.
Be sure to include:
Your primary forum name
Your age
A link to your posted submission The contest will consist of 2 rounds:
ROUND ONE: Nomination:

Any game guide posted in the Game Guides Forum (http://forums.ddo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104) , AND EMAILED to DDOContests@turbine.com by 11:59 pm eastern time on Wednesday, October 24th, 2007 will be eligible. Starting at 11:00 am eastern time on Thursday, October 25th, 2007 the NOMINATION ROUND will begin. Players will be asked to nominate their SINGLE favorite guide in a nomination thread, posted at the top of the Game Guides Forum (http://forums.ddo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104). Each forum member may nominate one guide and cast one nomination post. Additional nominations or posts will be deleted without being counted. On Sunday, November 4th, the nomination round will end at 11:59pm eastern time.

ROUND TWO: Voting and Judging:
On or around 11:00 am eastern time on Monday, November 5th, 2007 the top ten finalists’ guides will be announced in a poll, for the community to vote on. Also at this time, the top ten guides will be submitted to select DDO Developers for judging. Judging and voting will close on Thursday, November 8th, at 11:59pm eastern time. On or around Monday, November 12th, 2007, the winners will be announced.

Prizes:
First Prize:

(Estimated Retail Value: Greater than $180)
1 DELUXE leather bound copy of The Players Handbook v3.5
* Choice of one: 1 copy of the Eberron Campaign Setting guide signed by the DDO Dev team, and the book's authors -or- 1 DELUXE copy of 30 Years of Adventure – A Celebration of Dungeons and Dragons with forward written by Vin Diesel, signed by the Dev team
One 60 day game card
Guide will be listed in the Compendium
Forum Title: "Scholar of Adventure"Second Prize: (Estimated Retail Value: $110)
1 Boxed set of 3 Dungeons and Dragons™ books, including:
The Players Handbook v3.5
The Monster Manual v3.5
The Dungeon Master’s Guide v3.5
One 30 day game card
Forum Title: "Scholar of Adventure"Third Prize: (Estimated Retail Value: $40)
1 set of 8 Random Collectible Dungeons and Dragons™ Miniatures
One 30 day game card
Forum Title: "Scholar of Adventure"Honorable Mentions:
The remainder of the top 10 will all be listed in the “Game Guide Index” if not already listed there. Each of the top 10 guide authors will also be dubbed "Scholar of Adventure" for a forum title.Terms and Conditions
To enter, post your guide in the Game Guides Forum (http://forums.ddo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104%7CGame), AND email your submission and the link to your post to DDOContests@turbine.com
Submissions must be original creations. Any submissions that are found to be copies or recreations or derivatives of existing works (related to Dungeons and Dragons™ or otherwise) will not be considered in the final judging.
Submissions must include the contestant's name, email address, and primary forum name and a link to the posted entry on the forums.
This contest is open to all legal U.S. residents age 18 or older, regular forum membership rules apply.
This contest begins on Monday, September 24th, 2007 at 12:00am EST. Submissions will be accepted until Sunday September 30th, at 11:59pm EST.
Turbine reserves the right to edit or revise the winning submissions as necessary.
The names of the winning contestants and the winning submissions will be posted on www.ddo.com (http://www.ddo.com) on Monday, October 15th.
Winners may be required to execute an Assignment and Release to be provided by Turbine.Official Rules
Participation in the User-Written Game Guide Contest (the “Contest”) is voluntary. Participation in the Contest constitutes contestant's full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these terms and conditions. By participating in the Contest, contestant hereby grants to Turbine a royalty free, non-exclusive, perpetual, transferable, assignable, sub licensable, worldwide license to reproduce, modify, prepare derivative works of and otherwise use and publicly display your submission in any and all media for the purpose of incorporating the submission into future Turbine products and/or advertising and promoting Turbine products at the sole discretion of Turbine. You acknowledge that you will not receive any compensation for your submission. Turbine and its licensors disclaim any and all liability for any infringement of any contestant's rights in any submission caused by any third party. All submissions must be original, and must have been created and owned exclusively by the contestant submitting the creation. No responsibility is assumed by Turbine for lost, late, undeliverable, incomplete, illegible or misdirected submissions, or for any computer, online or technical malfunctions that may occur. Submissions that are not in full compliance with the terms and conditions are void. Turbine is not required to use any or all of the winning submissions for any purpose. Please review carefully Turbine's Privacy Policy (http://www.turbine.com/index.php?page_id=59) relating to the collection and use of your information. By electing to participate in the Contest, you agree to permit Turbine (and its licensors, licensees, partners and subcontractors) to use your personally identifiable information (such as your email address) to send you promotional and service related information relating to Dungeons & Dragons Online™: Stormreach™ and other Turbine games. Turbine reserves the right to limit access to, change or terminate the Contest with or without notice.
Eligibility to win a prize is restricted to U.S. residents age 18 or older. Employees of Turbine and its licensors, and members of their households, are excluded from participation. Winners may need to complete and submit an affidavit to confirm all eligibility requirements are met. The odds of winning a prize will depend on the number of eligible participants.
Neither Turbine nor its licensors shall be liable for any damages of any kind or nature whatsoever arising in connection with the Contest.
All federal, state, local, provincial and municipal laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited by law. No purchase necessary.

NOTE: Questions and Comments may be posted in this thread, but nominations and/or entries will not be accepted via this thread. Please use the appropriate means to do so, explained in the rules above.

Drider
09-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Very cool. Some nice prizes in there too. :D

Lorien_the_First_One
09-20-2007, 03:48 PM
Eligibility to win a prize is restricted to U.S. residents age 18 or older.

That is completely unacceptable in a game marketted around the world. You charge me the exact same amount you charge someone who lives in the US.

mocat
09-20-2007, 03:51 PM
That is completely unacceptable in a game marketted around the world. You charge me the exact same amount you charge someone who lives in the US.

Pssssttt...

Lorien....

Just tell them that we are a part of the US.

They won't know the difference. :D

Drider
09-20-2007, 03:52 PM

Like all contests done in most US based games.. it's nothing they can control. There are just too many laws to get around concerning winners outside of US territories.

Dariuss
09-20-2007, 03:53 PM

It is disappointing... I'm sure there's some legalities involved in giving out prizes though...

i would imagine the forum title thing could be giving to anyone though?

Vinos
09-20-2007, 03:54 PM
30 Years of Adventure – A Celebration of Dungeons and Dragons with forward written by Vin Diesel,

:eek:

Impaqt
09-20-2007, 03:55 PM
What about all the guides that have alrady been posted? Can we submit previously posted guides or must these all be "New"? If reposting one of my older guides acceptable? If it got Purged in "The Great Forum purge of 07"?

mocat
09-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Oh, and Q?

I'm sorry, but I have some sour grapes for you, but I need to mention it.

This is great for some, and I hope some people get something out of it, but I would like some content that you guys write...... not the users.

Mod 5 will do nicely!

When???

I was hoping that would be the announcement. :(

DaveyCrockett
09-20-2007, 04:01 PM
Doesn't this contest give an extreme advantage to people that already have guides up that have become a staple to the community? And half of those guides were taken over for people that aren't here anymore, and aren't the original work of the people that have their named tagged to them now.

Seems like a nice little concept, but I fail to see the options of 'untouched' guides that could be contributed, and even then, how they could hold a popularity-candle to say 'the loot thread'.

ArkoHighStar
09-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarion
30 Years of Adventure – A Celebration of Dungeons and Dragons with forward written by Vin Diesel,

:eek:

Vin Diesel has been a longtime player of PnP DnD, as is Billy Crystal, and Robin Williams

Vinos
09-20-2007, 04:03 PM
Doesn't this contest give an extreme advantage to people that already have guides up that have become a staple to the community? And half of those guides were taken over for people that aren't here anymore, and aren't the original work of the people that have their named tagged to them now.

Seems like a nice little concept, but I fail to see the options of 'untouched' guides that could be contributed, and even then, how they could hold a popularity-candle to say 'the loot thread'.

Good point. Most of the best guides have already been written. Also what about the guides that several people contribute to? Say for example the "loot" thread and the like?

Drider
09-20-2007, 04:03 PM
This is great for some, and I hope some people get something out of it, but I would like some content that you guys write...... not the users.

The devs may have all the points and time for building on ideas and implementing them into the game. However, they probably don't play their creation more then a majority of the player base. Most players, especially ones that do guides, usually have a very good idea of what they are talking about. If they didn't they probably wouldn't spend the time to even work on a guide to be useful to other players.

I'd rather the devs spend more time building newer quests and adding to the game then spedning time writing out guides. This is really something that parts of the community has been doing already. They are trying to promote this by having a nice little contest. They didn't have to, but they are. It's better then not having anything to do with the community, which by the way, has been one of the bigger complaints on the boards.

I think its funny that in the last two days they've tried to give us more info and ways to interact with the community and people still complain.

Vinos
09-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarion

Vin Diesel has been a longtime player of PnP DnD, as is Billy Crystal, and Robin Williams

I would assume he was since he wrote the forward but it just struck me as odd. Doesn't seem the type.

Impaqt
09-20-2007, 04:07 PM
I would assume he was since he wrote the forward but it just struck me as odd. Doesn't seem the type.

What? Cool People dont play DnD?

Aeneas
09-20-2007, 04:08 PM
I don't mean to break down anybody's hopes and dreams but there are people involved heavily in the forums who have put countless hours into making game guides. In fact, if i had it my way i'd just go ahead and give trotsky and cataclysm prizes 1 and 2 for their definitive static rewards list. There isn't a single other guide that i reference as often as that page and honestly seeing what it is that i've yet to add to my treasure trove is a big part of what keeps me playing. If you're only including new guides in this contest, please consider doing something nice for forumites like cataclysm, jjflanigan, and Ron who've done great things for the game with their guides and software.

Let's be honest nothing touches the loot thread or the character creator.

Oran_Lathor
09-20-2007, 04:10 PM
Ah well, I was excited to do this until I got to the part about US residents only... Sigh. When are people going to realize that 'countries' are out-moded? SOooo last millenium... :p

Anywho, look forward to seeing some new guides, good luck to all ya dern yankees. :)

mocat
09-20-2007, 04:12 PM
The devs may have all the points and time for building on ideas and implementing them into the game. However, they probably don't play their creation more then a majority of the player base. Most players, especially ones that do guides, usually have a very good idea of what they are talking about. If they didn't they probably wouldn't spend the time to even work on a guide to be useful to other players.

I'd rather the devs spend more time building newer quests and adding to the game then spedning time writing out guides. This is really something that parts of the community has been doing already. They are trying to promote this by having a nice little contest. They didn't have to, but they are. It's better then not having anything to do with the community, which by the way, has been one of the bigger complaints on the boards.

I think its funny that in the last two days they've tried to give us more info and ways to interact with the community and people still complain.

Ya, I agree Drider. I don't want them spending time writing guides.

I was refering to how I hoped that the announcement was something to do with game play. (...something they write... ie. code)

Like I said, this may be fun for some, but personally, I will not get any satisfaction out of it and am left wanting.

I really want new gameplay stuff, not user written guides.

But, that's just me.

Vinos
09-20-2007, 04:12 PM
What? Cool People dont play DnD?

Who said he was cool? I just figured he was too busy lifting weights.

ArkoHighStar
09-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Who said he was cool? I just figured he was too busy lifting weights.

check the web, he ahs played since he was 12, and is very open about it when asked.

Lorien_the_First_One
09-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Like all contests done in most US based games.. it's nothing they can control. There are just too many laws to get around concerning winners outside of US territories.

Unless there is some US law prohibitting it that I'm unaware of that's simply a lazy and incorrect answer they give. They already are doing contracts with people under different legal frameworks. (The EULA is for example invalid in Canada since Canadian case law holds you can't be bound to something that was only shown to you after you forked over your money). The content advisory may not meet local standards in some countries. The list goes on...That doesn't stop Turbine from taking our money.

"Offer not valid where prohibitted by law. Participant is responsible for following all local laws and for any and all local taxes". You can lawyer your way out of international issues... This approach is just lazy and self important.

*grumbles* I can't believe I sent Q a nice PM earlier today....

Pssssttt...

Lorien....

Just tell them that we are a part of the US.

They won't know the difference. :D

lol probably true. Have you ever seen "Talking to Americans"? I have to love when a Harvard Political Science prof thinks we have a President or when environmental studies students think we should stop the whale hunt in Sask.

Lorien_the_First_One
09-20-2007, 04:16 PM
check the web, he ahs played since he was 12, and is very open about it when asked.

And he as played DDO....

ArkoHighStar
09-20-2007, 04:18 PM
And he as played DDO....

who knows it is possible

Vinos
09-20-2007, 04:18 PM

I am sure you're telling me the truth I don't need to check the web. It just struck me as odd is all.

ArkoHighStar
09-20-2007, 04:19 PM
lol probably true. Have you ever seen "Talking to Americans"? I have to love when a Harvard Political Science prof thinks we have a President or when environmental studies students think we should stop the whale hunt in Sask.

Ah this hour has 22 minutes, how I miss that show living in the States

Lorien_the_First_One
09-20-2007, 04:20 PM
who knows it is possible

He has, he said it in an interview last year.

Lorien_the_First_One
09-20-2007, 04:25 PM
Ok...trying to be positive....

Maybe this means they are going to use this info to help build a manual that is actually up to date and accurate?

Hmm... down side...

How are they gonna stop me from cribbing from the wiki and existing guides? They can't say I stole anything because all the info is PD so they can't tell if I got it from another guide and just reformated or if it was all originally sourced.

Galath_Eralion
09-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Now, if they could get Vin Diesel to sign a copy of the book, I might contribute.

ArkoHighStar
09-20-2007, 04:33 PM
I am sure you're telling me the truth I don't need to check the web. It just struck me as odd is all.

he is a closet geek hehe:D

blakbyrd
09-20-2007, 04:53 PM
In regards to the "US Residents Only" thing, it is a typical thing, and also somewhat necessary regarding any potential legal issues that could arrise.

For starters, part of the rules requires being 18 or older. This is relatively easy to prove in the states but once outside the states it becomes more difficult to prove.

Most importantly though, Turbine will require signing and sgreeing to a contract (last part of the rules). The contract is required for the winner to agree to, and is written with US laws and backed by US laws. Such a contract will not work for or protect Turbine in an International sense.

The US has no VAT or Prize taxes in such things, whereas many other countries do. WHo should be responsible for paying these taxes or fees? If someone in Europe wins and gets stuck with a VAT ta to recieve the goods, is it the recipients or Turbine's responsibility to pay them? These are extra fees that Turbine shouldn't be required to pay, but there are plenty of people who think they should. Typically, if you cannot provide a reciept, all items get taxed by their value.

In regards to a top winner, there are probably countries out there that ban the import of lead or pewter (forms of jewelry or metals imports are common items banned from import/export). If a winner happens to be in one of these countries, they wont get all that is won, or Turbine/recipient risks being in trouble and gaining large fines for trying to import or accept banned material.

There are many reasons why they would limit it to the US only. However the #1 and most important fact to it all, is that Turbine can set the rules how they want for their own contest (as long as it is within US law to do so). They could certainly make it international if they wanted to, but it would require lawyers knowledgable in international law, and lawyers able to write similar contracts (as the one required in the rules) that abides to every possible country an entrant could be from which would be an enormous expense. Turbine certainly has their own Lawyers or Lawyers on retainer, but I doubt they have any that are specialists in international law and more specifically lawyers capable fo writing contracts for every available country that DDO is accessed from.

StanC
09-20-2007, 04:56 PM

Plus I have seen contest that have excluded individual states, most of the time it has been Florida. Alot of the time it has to do with taxes and terrifs (Sp?) that would make not worth the while.

Vienemen
09-20-2007, 04:58 PM
My guide was written in the wizard section. I would like to keep it there and only edit one copy (it is edited frequently). My question is, will I be allowed to just post the link in the game guides forum or will I have to cut and paste a copy of it there...which would suck because it would actually be the thrid version I would have to maintain with edits.

Thats my only gripe...but its one I think will be common among the writers. Link is in my sig. Hopefully can get an answer soon.

V

Oh, one more question...If I read the rules right, we cant post them till the 24th right? Or is it ok to do so now?

Blind_Skwerl
09-20-2007, 05:00 PM
Prizes:
First Prize:

1 DELUXE copy of 30 Years of Adventure – A Celebration of Dungeons and Dragons with forward written by Vin Diesel...

Huh?! Am I missing something here? When did Vin Diesel switch from making movies and breakdancing instructional videos to writing for RPG books? Does it have illustrations by O.J.? Is it sprayed with Mandy Moore's new fragrance? Sheesh!

Dane_McArdy
09-20-2007, 05:05 PM

It's because there are legal issues with prizes and non USA residents.

Brianius
09-20-2007, 05:14 PM
vin is a geek, one of his tatoos was a pnp charicter in xxx

Huh?! Am I missing something here? When did Vin Diesel switch from making movies and breakdancing instructional videos to writing for RPG books? Does it have illustrations by O.J.? Is it sprayed with Mandy Moore's new fragrance? Sheesh!

oh and oooooo

Impaqt
09-20-2007, 05:15 PM

Well, Its technically more of a Tax issue than a Legal one.

Still awaiting word on Eligibility of existing Guides......

Quarion
09-20-2007, 05:23 PM
Good point. Most of the best guides have already been written.

Just because a guide is pre-existing doesn't mean it shouldn't be recognized if it's good.

And this is what a nomination and voting rounds are for! For YOU to choose who deserves to win.

If you don't feel that a particular guide is worthy of a prize, don't nominate or vote for it. It's up to you. :)

Trilby
09-20-2007, 05:26 PM
I'm sorry, I just have to laugh at the devs judging spelling and grammar. I have noticed so many mistakes in the text of the lore in this game, it baffles me. Sometimes I think devs should learn how to use spell check.:)

Vinos
09-20-2007, 05:26 PM
Just because a guide is pre-existing doesn't mean it shouldn't be recognized if it's good.

And this is what a nomination and voting rounds are for! For YOU to choose who deserves to win.

If you don't feel that a particular guide is worthy of a prize, don't nominate or vote for it. It's up to you. :)

No one said they shouldn't be recognized but why bother having a contest? The winners are already decided before the contest begins. Here's a good contest idea. Let's play pro football pick'em but we'll use last year's schedule.

Drider
09-20-2007, 05:28 PM
Ya, I agree Drider. I don't want them spending time writing guides.

I was refering to how I hoped that the announcement was something to do with game play. (...something they write... ie. code)

Like I said, this may be fun for some, but personally, I will not get any satisfaction out of it and am left wanting.

I really want new gameplay stuff, not user written guides.

But, that's just me.

Well they did say there was stuff coming for us, but the only thing they said they would be posting today, for sure, was the contest details.

DaveyCrockett
09-20-2007, 06:18 PM

You seem to be missing the point. You make the contest seem as if new people would have a chance, when in all reality, you are just attempting to reward people for things that they have already done. So reward them, and make a contest from scratch that everyone would have a fair chance to win.

We all know that the popular votes will go to the loot thread, and it has been lead by at least 4 different people (and the community contributes more than any ONE person), so who will you send the prize to?

Now if you say the contest is for NEW guide contributions only, then perhaps people would feel that it was worth their time to put forth the effort, but when it's set the way it is, it just seems pointless to attempt.

Perhaps I should write a guide "How to Run a Contest"

Lorien_the_First_One
09-20-2007, 06:19 PM

Please site the legal issue.

Well, Its technically more of a Tax issue than a Legal one.

Still awaiting word on Eligibility of existing Guides......

Tax issues are simple. They deal with them in US Casinos and US lotteries when foreigners win. They withhold tax as required by US law, anything else is covered by the appropriate tax treaties and is the responsibility of the taxpayer. I deal with tax issues of Americans in Canada all the time and its only a few minutes of research to find out all you need to know about situations as simple as this one.

In regards to the "US Residents Only" thing, it is a typical thing, and also somewhat necessary regarding any potential legal issues that could arrise.

For starters, part of the rules requires being 18 or older. This is relatively easy to prove in the states but once outside the states it becomes more difficult to prove.

Actually there are international standards for proving age between countries. That's asking no more than is asked of a minimum wage bouncer at a US bar when someone from the UK shows up.

Most importantly though, Turbine will require signing and sgreeing to a contract (last part of the rules). The contract is required for the winner to agree to, and is written with US laws and backed by US laws. Such a contract will not work for or protect Turbine in an International sense.

So they will have the same possible legal issues as when they deal with the service contract on a monthly basis.

The US has no VAT or Prize taxes in such things, whereas many other countries do. WHo should be responsible for paying these taxes or fees?

That's what the disclosure line handles about winner is responsible for taxes. The same thing you will find in the small print for your state lotteries.

In regards to a top winner, there are probably countries out there that ban the import of lead or pewter (forms of jewelry or metals imports are common items banned from import/export). If a winner happens to be in one of these countries, they wont get all that is won, or Turbine/recipient risks being in trouble and gaining large fines for trying to import or accept banned material.

Once again, legalize can easily cover this and winner could still be eligable for the forum title (untaxable anywhere as far as I can tell) and all the other recoginition parts of the prize.

There are many reasons why they would limit it to the US only. However the #1 and most important fact to it all, is that Turbine can set the rules how they want for their own contest (as long as it is within US law to do so). They could certainly make it international if they wanted to, but it would require lawyers knowledgable in international law, and lawyers able to write similar contracts (as the one required in the rules) that abides to every possible country an entrant could be from which would be an enormous expense. Turbine certainly has their own Lawyers or Lawyers on retainer, but I doubt they have any that are specialists in international law and more specifically lawyers capable fo writing contracts for every available country that DDO is accessed from.

Such language exists, they can lift it, that's what lawyers do. The cost would be small.

Most companies with contests limit them to the country they are in because that's the extent of their customer base. That is not true here. If you are operating internationally it is good customer service to deal with your full customer base, this is just a lazy approach and the attempt to make people happy with them will instead alienate a portion of the player base.

Lorien_the_First_One
09-20-2007, 06:25 PM
We all know that the popular votes will go to the loot thread, and it has been lead by at least 4 different people (and the community contributes more than any ONE person), so who will you send the prize to?

Hmm... who wins the prize for that indeed... Cat who has been maintaining it as long as I've been following it or the new guy who just took it over (and thank you for taking over this important thread BTW)

Ya this contest just cost Turbine one of its defenders :mad:

Drider
09-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Most companies with contests limit them to the country they are in because that's the extent of their customer base. That is not true here. If you are operating internationally it is good customer service to deal with your full customer base, this is just a lazy approach and the attempt to make people happy with them will instead alienate a portion of the player base.

You are out of luck, it sucks, but they aren't going to spend.. most likely tens of thousands of dollars to work out all the legal issues they would have to, for a contest where the top prize is 180 bucks.

This is nothing new, if you lived in the US it's almost common knowledge that you have to be a US citizen for almost all the contests/promotions that go on here. Even promotions like the Monopoly Game thing that McDonald's does is limited to US Citizens only. They are a multi-national company.. and they still use the same rules.

There is just too many legal issues to deal with, it's more then taxes for sure.

Look at old promotions from almost every MMO and I'm sure there is some of the same legal issues. When I was in SWG they had the same issues and that had a larger playerbase and with more people from out of the US then DDO. Same with CoH and WoW promotions that I saw while I played those games.

Drider
09-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Hmm... who wins the prize for that indeed... Cat who has been maintaining it as long as I've been following it or the new guy who just took it over (and thank you for taking over this important thread BTW)

If this is the "last straw" for you, then you had other issues way before this.

Rragnaar
09-20-2007, 06:34 PM

If you saw the movie "Chronicles of Rid****" and watched I beleive it is one of the featurettes, Vin explained how he used PnP D&D to teach Karl Urban and Judy Dench about the different characters and roles they would be playing or working around.

Just imagane a PnP session with him, robin williams, billy crystal, and a few of the other celebs who played. The amount of rp'ing involved would be sick.

Asal
09-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Unless there is some US law prohibitting it that I'm unaware of that's simply a lazy and incorrect answer they give. They already are doing contracts with people under different legal frameworks. (The EULA is for example invalid in Canada since Canadian case law holds you can't be bound to something that was only shown to you after you forked over your money). The content advisory may not meet local standards in some countries. The list goes on...That doesn't stop Turbine from taking our money.

"Offer not valid where prohibitted by law. Participant is responsible for following all local laws and for any and all local taxes". You can lawyer your way out of international issues... This approach is just lazy and self important.

*grumbles* I can't believe I sent Q a nice PM earlier today....

Contest would be Illegal in Quebec since the contest rules are not posted in french also. Many contest run in Canada are illegal in Quebec (just look in any Canadian english magazine). Not surprise a US company takes the easy route out.

Lorien_the_First_One
09-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Contest would be Illegal in Quebec since the contest rules are not posted in french also. Many contest run in Canada are illegal in Quebec (just look in any Canadian english magazine). Not surprise a US company takes the easy route out.

And that's why you have the "void where prohibitted by law" clause.

You are out of luck, it sucks, but they aren't going to spend.. most likely tens of thousands of dollars to work out all the legal issues they would have to, for a contest where the top prize is 180 bucks.

Their lawyer would have to really suck for this to cost tens of thousands. This is boilerplate text that can be lifted.

This is nothing new, if you lived in the US it's almost common knowledge that you have to be a US citizen for almost all the contests/promotions that go on here. Even promotions like the Monopoly Game thing that McDonald's does is limited to US Citizens only. They are a multi-national company.. and they still use the same rules.

Once again, those companies are appealing only to their customer base who is primarily the US resident. They have similar (often identical) contests in other contries. It would be poor business to try and reward someone in the country visiting for a week because they will not be repeat buyers. This is different because this company is working internationally.

Look at old promotions from almost every MMO and I'm sure there is some of the same legal issues. .

Yes, other American companies are self focussed and lazy as well.

If this is the "last straw" for you, then you had other issues way before this.

No, not really. Read my posts. I'm usually the guy telling people to take a pill. I wish Turbine communicated more, I was openly praising them for Q's post yesterday, and other than that I just have a few little issues like every player. The only other big issue I have had with them is the lower limit on char slots here as compared to Europe. That was poor PR, but DDO Europe is run by a different company so it isn't an outright exclusion of part of the player base.

This contest is offensive. To me this is the same as "white's only may enter". Don't bother arguing that is it different, I said "to me"...I am offended. Some things Turbine has done were silly, this one is extremely offensive and exclusionary to a portion of its player base.

Drider
09-20-2007, 06:59 PM
This contest is offensive. To me this is the same as "white's only may enter". Don't bother arguing that is it different, I said "to me"...I am offended. Some things Turbine has done were silly, this one is extremely offensive and exclusionary to a portion of its player base.

Wow comparing this contest to racism? You are taking this way to seriously.

If you are so sure that all these things are so easy to take care of, then you should have first hand knowledge right? Why ask us for the reasons all this is going down. So I ask you.. Please state here all the reasons why, if this is so simple a thing to change, that so many companies do not even attempt to do it. Obviously you know our American laws better then we do. Saying it's because "American companies are self-focused and lazy" is not an answer.

Cowdenicus
09-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Nobody is saying that people from outside the US cannot participate in the contest, they just cannot win anything.

OK, I will be quiet now.

Drider
09-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Nobody is saying that people from outside the US cannot participate in the contest, they just cannot win anything.

OK, I will be quiet now.

Exactly. :)

If I was into the whole guide thing in the first place, I wasn't doing it because of a contest. I was doing it to help others, which is still the primary purpose for the contest in the first place. To provide more information for the compendium.

Lorien_the_First_One
09-20-2007, 07:39 PM

OK, I will be quiet now.

If you are so sure that all these things are so easy to take care of, then you should have first hand knowledge right? Why ask us for the reasons all this is going down. So I ask you.. Please state here all the reasons why, if this is so simple a thing to change, that so many companies do not even attempt to do it. Obviously you know our American laws better then we do. Saying it's because "American companies are self-focused and lazy" is not an answer.

I actually have stated the two reasons.... One you don't seem to like, the other is that most contests held within your borders are intended to apply to citizens because that's their customer base.

OK, I will be quiet now.

Ya good advice... I give up... Systemic discrimination is never recognized as such, its always justified by those involved often with "but everyone does it this way" or "its always been this way".

Vinos
09-20-2007, 07:42 PM
You're really making too much of this Lor. It's a contest in which the winners are already decided. Character planner and loot thread are going to win so it really doesn't matter. Comparing it to racism is kind of silly and I don't think those that have experienced racism and/or fought against racism would appreciate you comparing it to it.

Drider
09-20-2007, 07:56 PM
You're really making too much of this Lor. It's a contest in which the winners are already decided. Character planner and loot thread are going to win so it really doesn't matter. Comparing it to racism is kind of silly and I don't think those that have experienced racism and/or fought against racism would appreciate you comparing it to it.

Yeah although those are going to be good ones. I would hope that voters would look more into the guides. Although the loot one is used alot it wasn't one person.. it wasn't just Trotsky when he did it, it wasn't just Cataclysm, and it wasn't just the person doing it now. It was information given by testers and players and added to the list. Although I do appreciate the time they did to do those things.

Ron's might not even be able to be used, since it's going into the actual compendium I think that Ron would maybe have to give up the rights to his program over to Turbine. It's more of a tool then a guide though... Although I give props to Ron and the work he's put into it. He deserves any recognition he gets.

I would hope that most people that vote would give a good read and good look at the guides that are put up for votes. Old or New.. they aren't just taking one guide of each type so if you can put together a better guide that is better than old one, you still have your chance.

Borror0
09-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Is the wiki a big guide? If so, tihocan... you're getting the prize it may get... I'm canadian anyway. ;)

Bizbag
09-20-2007, 08:36 PM
I'm sorry, I just have to laugh at the devs judging spelling and grammar. I have noticed so many mistakes in the text of the lore in this game, it baffles me. Sometimes I think devs should learn how to use spell check.:)

Every single time I do Madstone I notice something that angers me.

"Can you survive it's power?"

IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE "CAN YOU SURVIVE ITS POWER?" !

TechNoFear
09-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Already covered, my bad....

Put down the keyboard....

Step away from the keyboard...

Move quietly away now sir....

Rouge
09-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Just out of curiosity, are the D&D books in the prizes ones that the Dev's were using till they got their advance copies of the 4th edition alpha test books? :p

Magnyr_Delorn
09-20-2007, 09:14 PM

CAN YOU SURVIVE IT'S POWER?! ITS OVER 9000!!!!

Spookydodger
09-20-2007, 09:17 PM

Yeah, I scratched my head for a while when people seemed to indicate that existing guides shouldn't be eligible. Yes, it might have been taken over from someone else, but someone deserves to win. Being an existing guide just means that they're that much further ahead, and justifiably so.

TechNoFear
09-20-2007, 09:19 PM
So if the best _current_ guide is written by a non US resident or someone under 18 they will not get a prize, nor will their guide be used?

(and an inferior guide will be used instead?)

The_Cataclysm
09-20-2007, 09:29 PM
All I can say is "Bah" and "Good luck, Dragon.Star".

akla_thornfist
09-20-2007, 10:26 PM
congrats to the 10 people who will participate in this contest, your all winners in my eyes.

Rog
09-20-2007, 11:26 PM
I hope this will make player based quest possible if a player can make a guilde A player can make a quest. As for U.S. players only that is straight B.S. half of my server is not american but they know this game well or better than most american players.They have a voice and have the right to be heard. This is not a american game this is a world wide game. We are not americans we are proud kyberians step into are world and leave your country behind meet the world and have a great time welcome to DDO all players welcome and all players Equal regardess of naitionlity.
lunarsong
silentfoot
shortii
oakwrath
p.s. i cant spell worth a dang:)

MrWizard
09-21-2007, 12:39 AM
Hmm...I was working on some real cool 'new user' guides along with a dungeon guide....but turbine never once answered my mails for the information I needed to make them encoomapssing enough to be helpfull...

Does this mean if we ask for some information you may provide it or at least answer emails? I just wanted to help, I could not believe you would not give me the little info I needed..so I put it on the burner.

I would finish them if you have changed your mind about helping us help your customers....that would be great...send me a tell or something so I can ask for the info for the millionth time....:D

Zorth
09-21-2007, 02:24 AM
This is just a half-baked attempt to get good ideas to improve the game before Conan comes out. It is too late for that.

Drider
09-21-2007, 03:14 AM
This is just a half-baked attempt to get good ideas to improve the game before Conan comes out. It is too late for that.

That doesn't even make sense.

mgoldb2
09-21-2007, 04:20 AM
They come up with an idea to encourage people to share there information of there game to improve people knowledge of the game. Even offering some decent prize’s for the best of them.

The response is that 90% of the posts in this thread are a complaint about it? Absolutely amazing.

Cowdenicus
09-21-2007, 05:39 AM
They come up with an idea to encourage people to share there information of there game to improve people knowledge of the game. Even offering some decent prize’s for the best of them.

The response is that 90% of the posts in this thread are a complaint about it? Absolutely amazing.

QFT

Borror0
09-21-2007, 06:41 AM
Hmm...I was working on some real cool 'new user' guides along with a dungeon guide....but turbine never once answered my mails for the information I needed to make them encoomapssing enough to be helpfull...

Does this mean if we ask for some information you may provide it or at least answer emails? I just wanted to help, I could not believe you would not give me the little info I needed..so I put it on the burner.

I would finish them if you have changed your mind about helping us help your customers....that would be great...send me a tell or something so I can ask for the info for the millionth time....:D

QTF

They are very unhelpful on that. There are lot of things they were asked for by wiki editors, and we rarely got answers.

Missing_Minds
09-21-2007, 07:04 AM

Yeah.. but is it really a guide? Normally a guide tells you how to accomplish something. The loot thread is really a compilation of drops, what they are, where to find it, and whom to kill. It states very little of any "how" to do something. Don't get me wrong, I love the thread myself. It is great for information on what and where, but next to no how.

Me, I plan on trying my hands on it for the one thing I wouldn't mind getting. I'm not worried about the physical prizes, game time, or what have you. I'd rather get my hands on the forum title. Yeah, I'm simple like that, and a forum title is something that can be given to any player that posts on these boards.

Vinos
09-21-2007, 07:46 AM

The issue is since the best guides are already written(for the most part) why have a "contest" for it? It's not encouraging anyone to share knowledge. Those people have ALREADY shared the knowledge. And Turbine has also not clairified what they plan to do about the guides that multiple people have contributed to.

blakbyrd
09-21-2007, 08:05 AM
My guess in all this serves several purposes.

1. In the end Turbine gets a fair amount of work for "free" (granted prizes are given but they cost far less than paying an employee to do them).

2. Subscribers get to participate directly to the game with direct acknowledgement from Turbine.

3. As with #1, one thing that has been lacking with DDO and the website is a useful and up to date game manual. This contest can help facilitate that at a very minimal cost to Turbine as well as a minimal time investment on their part. The game manual has been wrong and out of date for a long time.

To me #3 is probably one of the main underlying purposes for the contest, because of the contract the winners must sign. This contract can only be legally bound to by US residents, which is probably why the contest is limited to the US. They are not going to fork out the high costs for international lawyers to right binding contracts in all available countries. The rules pretty well state their intent is to take possession of any guide entries that win, and they cannot legally do so from people in other countries without outside legal help and costs, which could quickly cost more than for Turbine to just do it themselves. All in all it saves Turbine time and money to do this and gives subscribers an incentive to particiapte..it's good all around, although limited to who can truely benefit from competing, but the overall benefit of the situation helps everyone, including those not participating or who cannot participate.

moorewr
09-21-2007, 08:48 AM
You, me, and Mark Twain.

BurnerD
09-21-2007, 09:07 AM
that not everyone takes the position of what we have is already the best so why bother... or nothing would ever be invented or improved upon in the world. I am not saying that the current guides aren't great, they are awesome, but you never know what someone else may come up with...

If people want to enter let them .. if an existing guide is the best then it should win.. the worst that happens is the the new players get some added guides to help them along and they may enjoy the game more...

The complaining that goes on in these forums is astounding. Before I get flamed for this I bow to your forum superiority so don't bother.. I seldom make multiple posts in any thread and feel it is completely pointless to repost or argue my opinion...

The game is not perfect, Turbine is not perfect, but they are damned if they do and damned if they don't... not a job I'd want.

Enjoy the game for what it is... works for me.

Lorien_the_First_One
09-21-2007, 12:10 PM
I seldom make multiple posts in any thread and feel it is completely pointless to repost or argue my opinion....

lol Sometimes I wish I had your strength....

iamsamoth0
09-21-2007, 12:40 PM
We can't even get together to give away prizes. :rolleyes:
I wish everyone could compete. I tell you what, since I have neither the time nor the motivation to try and out-do some of the indepth(sp?) work that people have already contributed to this fine fun game. Everyone still submit their stuff, and if you win you allow them to send me the prizes and I will pay out of my own pocket to get you the stuff! What 30-50$ to mail the couple books (hopefully less!)??
I hate to see the get vindictive.
Can't we all just get along??!? :)

P.S. It is kinda top heavy this contest, some people have a HUGE leg up on others, some have put in a LOT of time and effort with less recognition from anyone, execept maybe for a few of us forum goers saying great job, keep up the good work, etc...

You would think they could have better thought out the contest.
Although, I am incredibly happy to see them reaching out in this way to us the community.
Long live DDO!!!!!

Varis
09-21-2007, 01:38 PM
yeah, while we all think it's great that turbine encourages us to write guides, the euphoria is kept well in check.

good guides already exist (NO THANKS TO TURBINE) and instead of comming up with something clever like ingame rewards for those that are not legally eligible for a material reward.

You did contests before and handed out stuff without asking our nationality.

If you actually gave a damn, you would offer something like a custom item, either powerful or unique looks as a reward. Perhaps a spell that has a different graphic to it... (wall of fire with blue fire?) SOMETHING!!
It's not that complicated...

But noooo like Lorien said... just lazy..

Sojourner
09-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Is the wiki a big guide? If so, tihocan... you're getting the prize it may get... I'm canadian anyway. ;)

Yeah, I vote you tar/zip the wiki (http://ddo.enterwiki.net) and mail it in. Best game guide out there.

mocat
09-21-2007, 01:47 PM
congrats to the 10 people who will participate in this contest, your all winners in my eyes.

LOL :D

This contest is a step in the right direction, but it's more of a shuffle than a step.

Turbine needs to engage the ENTIRE DDO community, not just those who are predisopsed to a fringe activity such as writing guides.

I'm sorry, but this will be a non-event for most all of the DDO community as far as participation goes.

Yes, the guides will be useful to us all (and future new players), but this will not do anything to prevent bored players from leaving. That is the kind of activities we need.

Yup.... I'm still crotchity from yesterday. :rolleyes:

lol Sometimes I wish I had your strength....

/hands Lorien a bodyfeeder weapon...... :D

Ringlord
09-21-2007, 05:30 PM
Blizzard did not write guides for players on how to build any character in WoW. Players did that so where the hell does anyone get the idea Turbine should do it for us?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

No company running an MMO writes guides for the players about the game.

Oh and yes lets all give up like the ones that are already written are all that should ever be written because there is no more to learn in the game and everyone plays the exact same way for every class and race. Damn this is one friggin boring game then so why the hell are we all still here??

It is sad for those outside the US that Turbine does not have control over the laws written within the US concerning contests like this. It is also sad for those outside the US that Turbine is not a multi-national corporation like McDonald's who can run contests in other countries at the same time they run other ones here because they actually have offices set up OUTSIDE the US. They can't get around the legalities involved nor is it worth the effort for them to do so.

That said for those outside the US who would like to try and win the prizes did you ask if you could submit a guide under the name of a US resident who happens to be your friend for a chance to win them? If you just want the forum title then ask if you can designate a friend within the US to receive the prizes? I am sure the legal department for Turbine could put up an electronic document as a waiver of the material portion of the prize. Maybe if you want both there is a way to enter through a US resident where you get the forum title if you win and they get the prizes and forward them to you.

I don't know if anyone came up with any of these ideas earlier in this thread, but I was too busy to read all the posts and in too bad a mood already from work.

Borror0
09-21-2007, 05:51 PM
Yeah, I vote you tar/zip the wiki (http://ddo.enterwiki.net) and mail it in. Best game guide out there.

By far!:D Would be even better if we'd be more than about 10 contributers on it right now...:rolleyes: ;)

Thanks a lot for your work on it Soj. :) Same for any other editor out there.

smodge13
09-21-2007, 07:49 PM
This contest is open to all legal U.S. residents age 18 or older, regular forum membership rules apply.

This is messed up, updates are on during aussie prime time, now we cant enter a competition within the game we pay for?, how many more time sis turbine gunna shaft us, no i dont care about an infraction point for this complaint because all this is discrimination, the updates i can accept but offering a contest to your american only players? thats just not fair, turbine we're sick of you screwing us aussie's over, your running an international game, treat people from all nations fairly, dont run a contest thats just for your own, if we're restricted from things like this its unfair, we pay the same as everyone else so why cant we get the same product?

dragnmoon
09-21-2007, 07:51 PM
This is messed up, updates are on during aussie prime time, now we cant enter a competition within the game we pay for?, how many more time sis turbine gunna shaft us, no i dont care about an infraction point for this complaint because all this is discrimination, the updates i can accept but offering a contest to your american only players? thats just not fair.

Though I feel for you Smodge... I assume it is because of legal matter that they can not offer it to Non US Citizens..

That Being said.. I would like to remind Turbine that a Military APO address is a Legal US Address *Not that I am going to be in the running*

dungeonrat07
09-21-2007, 08:43 PM
I already have the books and I do not care about the rest. I do not like the forum and what I think of the nerdom is not nice. I have not and will not see the guids. How about this that the real D&D spells are put in to the game. Spells like fly, spider climb, ploymorph, and others. I would like to a wizards more than buffing dispencer!!! Also get rid of the death xps which is a waste of time, some of us work and do not have 18 hours a day to spend on the game. The rate it is going at 16th level when you die it will be what 10000 xps to get out of, lets not go there.

Lorien_the_First_One
09-21-2007, 10:32 PM
/hands Lorien a bodyfeeder weapon...... :D

LMAO...Thanks mo

noneou
09-21-2007, 10:43 PM
The new manual is now a "contest." Read that as Turbine want us to write it for them.

Kistilan
09-22-2007, 04:28 AM

OK, I will be quiet now.

This is an excellent point.

And a great way for those who are so "angry and ill-willed" towards Turbine to make a point. Write the 10 best guides. Be inelligible to win the prizes. Completely tar and feather the competition by allowing no prizes to be given out at all! There, that's more vindictive than any arguing could ever achieve.

To everyone, elligible or inelligible to receive a prize, I salute you. And now I'm putting my pen back down on the paper as I write guides that will spank yours harder than a warforged with a sledge hammer.

Calydin
09-22-2007, 01:44 PM
No offense, but is Turbine lacking in the support area and needs to run a contest in order to get good guides and material for new players?

Seriously, is this what they offer in line of live events and contests for a dungeon dwelling game?

I have read some recent posts in many areas here and feel that the lack luster attention DDO has gotten is horrible and I am seriously thinking of leaving it all together and not just for a break.

I thought that by now, more than a year after launch, that the levels would be at 20, the core classes would be out and all races standard to the game would be available. They still are not..not one of those things on that short list.

And you can't even keep people here and had to shrink the number of servers down to accomodate the lack of players. Yet you haven't done squat to eradicate the spam, which I still get at all my characters mail.

Well, once again Turbine has shown its' amateur side of knowing their product and player base in favor of letting it die to boost LOTRO.

Have fun without me.

Stormanne
09-22-2007, 01:47 PM
I, for one, am not participating. First reason why, its unfair that there are "rules" in place that prevent a good portion of the DDO community from winning. Second reason, my main character is a barbarian that I tend to role-play. And with that, I leave you with this quote.

"Barbarians run confidently in the direction they are facing, whether they are confident it is the right direction or not."

Lorien_the_First_One
09-23-2007, 12:19 AM

OK, I will be quiet now.

Actually that probably means they used the incorrect legal text and they are already in trouble. If they award first prize to someone but don't give out the goodies then Americans could rightly complain the promissed prizes were not awarded (US McDogfoods lost such a lawsuit a few years back). The correct wording should have been "contest open only to..."

The other interesting thing is of course that if they believe they can bind the person who wins the contest under the "we own what you submit" clause AND they offer no compenstion because of undefined legal issues they are putting themselves in an interesting position indeed. It would certainly invalidate the silly defence proposed by some that it is because the somehow a US contract can't be binding outside the US.

So how bout it Turbine... Can non US residents participate and win but they don't get a prize or are you not letting them play at all?

There are 5 pages of people trying to defend you... Can you even come forward and give a position on why you plan to exclude non Americans? And please, not vauge "legal issues", tell us what those issues are so we can understand. After all international contracts are so very common now...

smodge13
09-23-2007, 02:05 AM
the least they could do is make an international division with prizes IN-game that can be legally given out.

DaveyCrockett
09-23-2007, 03:55 AM
Oh and yes lets all give up like the ones that are already written are all that should ever be written because there is no more to learn in the game and everyone plays the exact same way for every class and race. Damn this is one friggin boring game then so why the hell are we all still here??

Well attempting to be the voice for all, you missed a few things.

a) Noone said that all guides are already written, we said the ones that are most likely to win a popularity contest are already written, and that's what this contest is - a popularity contest for guides.

b) Everyone does not play the exact same way for every class and race, so how exactly would a guide on class and race help them? The basics are covered in the build sections, and they can adapt what they learn there for their own playstyles, so why would a guide on that win a popularity contest?

c) Noone said the game is boring. Again, you are reaching out for an argument that doesn't exist. The guides most likely to win a popularity contest already exist, they are generally the work of the enitre community, and are 'hosted' by people that generally are not the original creators of the guide at this point. How exactly is that a fair contest?

Borror0
09-23-2007, 10:17 AM
the least they could do is make an international division with prizes IN-game that can be legally given out.

Yes! That's what I think too.

Ringlord
09-23-2007, 10:52 AM
Simple solution to the problem read ALL the guides posted as entries and exclude the pre-existing ones from your vote. If enough people who think it is unfair for those guides to be considered do that then they will not win.

If the voters follow the guidelines for determining the winners then the popularity of a guide is a moot point. If it is the most helpful it will win so I guess that means it was the most popular. Helpful = popular and if it is popular for any reason other than it was a helpful useful guide then it does not deserve to win.

Sokar6000
09-23-2007, 11:18 AM
This contest is open to all legal U.S. residents age 18 or older...

Boldface mine.

Well...I wanted to enter, but you just threw the wrench in that...

Ringlord
09-23-2007, 11:34 AM
Hmmm not sure why they need to post an age restriction.

Borror0
09-23-2007, 11:54 AM
Hmmm not sure why they need to post an age restriction.

Well, you have to be 18 play lottery in Quebec so, maybe something around those lines.

Drider
09-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Well, you have to be 18 play lottery in Quebec so, maybe something around those lines.

You have to be 18 cuz thats the legal age for you to be able to sign a contract and make it legally binding. Same reason that you have to be 18 to get into a game beta that has an NDA.

Brianius
09-25-2007, 06:13 PM
can you submit more than 1 guide? i might have missed that part

I_Bob
09-25-2007, 06:27 PM
Just got back in town, looking forward to the new content. Instead, I get a totally useless contest. Great guides already exist, if that's what anyone wants. I would like to play, and play my own way, discover on my own, and if I need help, I ask. We have a good community here that does help. Let's get some new classes, spells, weapons, monsters, and, especially, some new things to do. PoP has done "popped" already. Challenge us in the game.

Lorien_the_First_One
09-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Just got back in town, looking forward to the new content. Instead, I get a totally useless contest. Great guides already exist, if that's what anyone wants. I would like to play, and play my own way, discover on my own, and if I need help, I ask. We have a good community here that does help. Let's get some new classes, spells, weapons, monsters, and, especially, some new things to do. PoP has done "popped" already. Challenge us in the game.

Ok, I can't believe I'm going to defend Turbine but.... there is new content coming out within the next few days including new quests, a new raid, new loot, new monsters, new spells (well at least spells against us :P).

As for the contest, the bungled it. But the idea of doing some contest was a good one and its something the community wanted.

Duerty
09-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Ok, I can't believe I'm going to defend Turbine but.... there is new content coming out within the next few days including new quests, a new raid, new loot, new monsters, new spells (well at least spells against us :P).

As for the contest, the bungled it. But the idea of doing some contest was a good one and its something the community wanted.

Next few days??? Anyone want to take bets that we don't see the new content until October?? This is a smoke and mirrors to make all us lemmings forget that the August update has yet to happen.

Quarion
10-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Please note the new dates outlined in the original post to reflect our contest extension!

Impaqt
10-01-2007, 10:27 AM
I dont mind a small extendion.. But almost a Month? :eek:

Oh well...

Quarion
10-24-2007, 09:05 AM
Don't forget to get those game guides entered! The user written game guides contest closes tonight at 11:59pm Eastern!

You could win huge prizes, including materials signed by the Developers of DDO!

Click here (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=1353784) to find out more and how to enter!

Quarion
10-25-2007, 01:19 PM
The Nomination Round has begun! Click Here (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=1406324) to nominate your choice!

-Q

Malachi_Stormlight2
10-25-2007, 01:39 PM
Quarion I think you used the same link twice

Do it all! Make a Rogue!
By Rickpa

This one linkes to Make a rogue again.

Avoiding the Culture Shock...[ between MMO and PnP ]
By Klattuu

Impaqt
10-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Only 1 Vote? The votes may turn out to be nothing but a popularity contest then.

Might I suggest you give each voter 3 nominations? This way We will get more distribution across all the guides rather than just the Single "Best" Some excellent guides wont end up getting a single vote with only one per person...

Quarion
10-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Quarion I think you used the same link twice

Do it all! Make a Rogue!
By Rickpa

This one linkes to Make a rogue again.

Avoiding the Culture Shock...[ between MMO and PnP ]
By Klattuu

:) Yeah. I don't know how I missed that in my link check. Anyhow its fixed now. Thanks!

Malachi_Stormlight2
10-25-2007, 06:21 PM
:) Yeah. I don't know how I missed that in my link check. Anyhow its fixed now. Thanks!

Welcome :)

Beherit_Baphomar
10-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Can I get something signed by Bunsen?
Cause he/she is God?

I cant do anything for it.......just want Bunsens autograph...ty.

Standpoint
10-26-2007, 05:24 PM
The amount of effort put into ALL of these guides deserves recognition beyond what I can speak. You are all unbelievably talented and each deserve to win based on effort. The contributions I've made to the game make me feel like a lump of dead ooze underneath the foot of a lowly Waterworks Kobold compared to the effort you all put forth.

As for the negative posts: You are all lame attempts at DDO players. How dare you whine about this contest, just look at the effort put forth by players which you can never hope to be as decent as, even with your 10th +5 whining battle axe of crankiness.

Kistilan
10-26-2007, 08:40 PM
Only 1 Vote? The votes may turn out to be nothing but a popularity contest then.

Might I suggest you give each voter 3 nominations? This way We will get more distribution across all the guides rather than just the Single "Best" Some excellent guides wont end up getting a single vote with only one per person...

/signed

I've been watching (not in angst, just curiousity, as some of these people are my friends too) and typically the votes are going towards friends/guildies of said-writer. It would be more legitimate to place a 3,2,1 point system or just 3 nominations. I know that's a little more math, but I mean, you guys manage to program and rewrite this game all the time -- a little addition subtraction and dividing can't best the brains up in the old Turbine Think Tank! (or could it.... :eek: )

MysticTheurge
10-27-2007, 10:34 AM
Any way you guys can update the launcher to a) Remove the note that says "today" is the last day to enter this contest and b) Remind people that they can participate in the nomination process?

Kerr
11-05-2007, 05:02 PM

That's also the standard for companies that have contests like this. It's the way things are legally.