PDA

View Full Version : Crowd control: Fear.

jellyfish21
09-20-2007, 07:02 AM
Fear is a Great spell. It has a fast recast and casting time. If they make their save, they are shaken, recieving a minus two to all saves thereafter. I do not extend it. I did prison at level nine with it in the air room. You can get a spell pen of 22 with a feat, enhancements and item, so cry for help can be controled well, too. I buff the entire party, come out and shrine, then fear every mob in the zone for all 13+ quests that can be feared (i.e., things without a mind can not be feared, red bosses can not be feared, tor giants can not be feared, etc....) Haste and fear is the only spells i need to cast. I took spell pen the feat, droping improved mental toughnes, so i have only 1600 spell points. This is more than enough for all the instances, including reavers and tor. I have dancing ball, but placement and casting time stinks. Fear is much better.

jaitee
09-20-2007, 07:17 AM
good in nice tight areas, but once feared mobs run to agro more things, which causes more havoc

this is the reason i dont like it

but none the less a great spell, i used it on my wizzy, as they get more slots

Varis
09-20-2007, 01:21 PM
don't be scared! Bunch up and chase me for the "cool" cone suprise!

fear is a great spell but does not work with all templates.

Aspenor
09-20-2007, 01:36 PM
don't be scared! Bunch up and chase me for the "cool" cone suprise!

fear is a great spell but does not work with all templates.

yup yup, fear rocks for alot of quests...but....

Undead + Fear = Dead Wizard

nbhs275
09-20-2007, 02:08 PM
necro school is a good choice

fear
halt undead
finger of undeath

Those are power spells people.

wiglin
09-20-2007, 02:55 PM
I have never attempted halt undead past delera's. Has anyone had any luck using on higher level undead quest?

Oran_Lathor
09-20-2007, 04:13 PM
I seem to recall it working well on the zombies in von5 (at least on normal), but you're right, halt undead is pretty limitted in uses past the mid-game.

Vienemen
09-20-2007, 06:11 PM
Halt undead has that intelligent disclaimer. If you want to see my write up check that spell in the wizards handbook, link below.

Grenfell
09-24-2007, 02:34 PM
My issue is... what do you drop to take Fear?

PK
Wall of Fire

These two are NEVER leaving my spellbook as a sorceror.

Enervation --> possibly can be scrolled, but I'm finding this way too useful to have as a spell for the Enervate + FOD combo for tougher mobs.

Stoneskin? This is the only possibility, as you could theoretically scroll/wand this.

What do you drop so you can have Fear?

/gren

wiglin
09-24-2007, 03:55 PM
I scroll enervate, and carry fear. Their are not enough mobs in this game that I have to enervate before a pk that makes it worth carrying as a spell.

I use pk and not fod, but if I used fod then I would drop pk for fear.

Jakylpops
09-24-2007, 05:26 PM
I currently have it, but will be dropping it soon. I've had it for about a month and just don't find myself using it very often.

Not to mention that it's going to be completely useless against all the undead in the next release.

MrCow
09-24-2007, 08:12 PM
Not everything in Mod 5 is undead. There are animals and humans and elves mucking around also.

Shade
09-24-2007, 10:06 PM
good in nice tight areas, but once feared mobs run to agro

Yea same reason I avoid it.

It's not crowd control if they run away to where more mobs are, thats just bunching up mobs making it harder for the melee to kill em.

re: scroll enervate:
Eh good to have the scrolls.. But really the times you need enervate to work to pk/fod something, a scroll won't work. Youd think ,well no save what does it matter? Well pretty much any mob with high enough saves to warrant some enervate also has high spell resistance making scrolls fail almost always.

They are useful for defense type quests tho when you dont have a dream spitter.

MrCow
09-24-2007, 11:08 PM
good in nice tight areas, but once feared mobs run to agro

My favorite use of fear is to sneak behind my target to fear, cast fear, and watch them stand still. If you make no aggro before your initial casting of fear then they do not run on any action you take with them afterwards.

Depending on the quest, especially ones where you are required to kill things before a door opens, fear is usually useful to use as more often than not the critters have no extra attention to bring.

And on a last note, if you let something run away to the point that it stops, it will remain in that position if you let it settle down there for a second.

MrWizard
09-25-2007, 12:08 AM
Fear guys are cool..I am gonna use it with my wiz..

1- feared enemies are like boards.... "boards do not hit back"- Bruce lee, enter the dragon.

2- if they aggro more things, I would just fear them...

3- firewall works great on 25 feared dudes standing in one spot.

4- cheric lights up with pipeweed and nods his head in approval...gives me dvs for being 'groovy'

nbhs275
09-25-2007, 01:06 AM
fear is a quick solution. Getting beat down by 10ish mobs and need a solution NOW? fear them. Even if they run away and come back a minute later with another 15 in tow, you have had a minute to put up a disco ball, get the party together, and know what your fighting.