PDA

View Full Version : Dark Cupid of the Silver Flame (A build by request)

sigtrent
09-18-2007, 07:08 PM
From Sigtrent's Build Request Thread (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=117232)

Build Name: Dark Cupid
Author: Sigfried Trent
Requester: FrederJoe1
Last Updated: 06/24/10

Key Words [Archer, Cleric, Drow]

Objectives
The request was for a drow archer cleric with divine vitality. Drow are not known for their archery skills, but they do have dex and charisma bonuses making them at least workable for aspects of the request. DPS via ranged combat is limited, so delivering effects seemed a more attainable goal.

Design
I started with ranger to get the archery working up front and then moved heavily into cleric with more an eye to healing and buffing than control or damage casting. I felt that weapon finesse would be handy, even if melee dps wasn’t great, it’s still helpful. At level 9, having gotten the prestige enhancement I was after it occurred to me that a monk level would have multiple benefits. Firstly offering a solid AC profile and secondly granting a feat I could use for toughness. Of course there are tertiary benefits like the stances and unarmed combat which could be handy. It’s odd to then not go for evasion, but I wanted to get in level 9 spells. Since the build is already playing against the grain I went for it.
The final build is a strange critter. You have enough ranged prowess to make it worth using, but not enough to call yourself DPS by any stretch. Melee is enough to pick away at targets, especially if you off hand a seeker 10, but you don’t want to try and bring that game solo. You can throw decent DC spells, but your spell pen is poor. You can heal pretty well but the mana pool and you have max/extend blade barrier so no matter what you can make yourself useful in traditional cleric ways. On the defense side your HP are ok if not impressive, but AC and saves are really solid for a cleric.
I considered zen archery but it’s a feat that is really hard to use. Why send a feat on a feat starved character when the best race for archery (not drow but same argument) has built in dex advantages? It just doesn’t make much sense.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.34
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 20 Lawful Good Drow Male
(1 Monk \ 2 Ranger \ 17 Cleric)
Hit Points: 262
Spell Points: 1296
BAB: 14\14\19\24
Fortitude: 17
Reflex: 15
Will: 20

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(28 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 12 14
Dexterity 16 21
Constitution 12 14
Intelligence 10 12
Wisdom 16 26
Charisma 12 14

Tomes Used
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
+2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 5 21.5
Bluff 1 2
Concentration 5 25
Diplomacy 1 2
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle 1 2
Heal 3 11
Hide 7 10
Intimidate 1 2
Jump 5 11
Listen 3 10
Move Silently 7 10
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 0 1
Search 0 3
Spot 7 15
Swim 1 2
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Ranger)
Skill: Balance (+2)
Skill: Concentration (+4)
Skill: Hide (+4)
Skill: Jump (+4)
Skill: Move Silently (+4)
Skill: Spot (+4)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Undead
Feat: (Selected) Point Blank Shot
Enhancement: Ranger Energy Resistence Boost I
Enhancement: Ranger Sprint Boost I
Enhancement: Drow Melee Damage I

Level 2 (Ranger)
Skill: Balance (+0.5)
Skill: Concentration (+1)
Skill: Hide (+1)
Skill: Jump (+1)
Skill: Move Silently (+1)
Skill: Spot (+1)
Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity I

Level 3 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Weapon Finesse
Enhancement: Elven Dexterity I
Enhancement: Follower of the Silver Flame
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic I
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot I

Level 4 (Cleric)
Ability Raise: WIS
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom I
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Vitality I
Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery I

Level 5 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Drow Melee Attack I
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life I
Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning I

Level 6 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell
Enhancement: Cleric Heal I
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic II

Level 7 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Heal II
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot II
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Turning I

Level 8 (Cleric)
Skill: Heal (+1)
Enhancement: Cleric Radiant Servant I

Level 9 (Monk)
Skill: Jump (+4)
Feat: (Selected) Manyshot
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Toughness
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom II

Level 10 (Cleric)
Skill: Balance (+1)
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic III

Level 11 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life II

Level 12 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Ranged Weapons
Enhancement: Elven Dexterity II

Level 13 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic IV

Level 14 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Silver Flame Exorcism

Level 15 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Might I
Enhancement: Cleric Radiant Servant II

Level 16 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life III

Level 17 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom III

Level 18 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Vitality II
Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery II

Level 19 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Vitality III

Level 20 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Empower Healing I
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot III

Play
At lower levels this is more an archer than a cleric and is good at picking off distant targets in adventure areas and being generally self reliant. At mid levels it briefly shines as an archer, then transitions in low teens to a more traditional cleric that uses a bow when there isn’t anything better to do or as an added bonus when kiting through blade barrier. With a good selection of bows and arrows however you may be able to transcend that somewhat with good use of weapon effects.

Variations
Weird builds are hard to do variations on because most variations lead to a fundamentally different build that moves back to the typical archetypes. Going elf over drow opens up arcane archer and other possibilities and all around is probably a good plan. You could also drop the monk level if you don’t ever want to see melee combat or you could add a second monk level for evasion if you prefer that to level 9 spells.

Khurse
09-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Forgive my newbieness... but why take bow str if you're only using 10 str?
Wouldn't figher levels (or pal) give you more feats?

sigtrent
09-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Forgive my newbieness... but why take bow str if you're only using 10 str?
Wouldn't figher levels (or pal) give you more feats?

Divine Poiwer is a level 4 cleric spell that gives you +6 Str and increases your Base Attack bonus up to your full level (14 in this case), but lasts for a fairly short time. The idea is that when you are doing archery you would want that going most of the time. This will add +4 to attack and +3 to damage (via the increased strength). Most characters would simply wear a +6 Str item at level 14, but with this character I think I would simply use Divine Might whenever fighting and save the equipment slot for something else.

It's a close call. Fighter would get me a feat, but I'd have to take it at first level for the character to use bows, and at level 1, there arn't many feats that are going to equate to +3 damage. Paladin wouldn't get me much I don't already have so ranger seemed like the best of the 3 despite the fact I'm not taking full advantage of the class features.

If the requester hadn't wanted DV's or Drow I would probably had built as an elf and not had any charisma to speak of, and taken a bit more Str. That would make for a better archer, but a bit less of a healer/buffer due to the lack of DVs. I think the other good option with drow would be 8 str, take Fighter at 1 and take the Heavy Repeating X-Bow feat. If you wanted to focus more on being a casting cleric this would be a good option sicne there arn't a lot of good feats to take along with the crossbow you could skip PB/Rapid/Multi and use those for cleric casting feats of some kind. I went with the bow option because it's a bit more unsuaual to see a cleric investing in ranged attack feats and because to be a decent healer you don't need to invest too much in it.

nbhs275
09-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Your thinking of divine power, and its a 4th lvl spell.

Human may be a better choice. Should look like

Cleric 12/ ranger 2

str 20 (14 base+6 DP)
dex 26 (16 base+6 item+2 tome+2 enhancment)
con 18 (12 base+6 item)
int 8
wis 30 (16 base+6 item+4 enhancment+3 level+1 tome)
cha 16 (10 base+6 item)

Feats:

1st: Point Blank Shot
1st: Extra Turning
3rd: Mental Toughness
6th: Extend
9th: Manyshot
12th: Improved Crit: Ranged

The differences would be:

Pros: Better ranged damage
More Hitpoints
More DVs(or the same for less action points)
Has some TWF ability

Cons: Losses level 7 spells
Lower charisma, so less skill effect

Different builds with similiar outcomes. If it wherent for wanting alot of DVs, it could be just cleric ranger 13/1.

Also, with sigtrents build, it would be a good idea to try and get the three active charisma skills into the mid 20s.

Sojourner
09-19-2007, 07:51 AM
I'd be tempted to drop Extend Spell and take something else. At level 14 there are very few spells that Extend is good for. Perhaps for Improved Mental Toughness, or another combat feat.

I'd also be tempted to take something else for a favored enemy -- if it is an outside, you should probably be trying to banish it, not shoot it.

Wand Mastery 4 is a bit unusual, not many spend the APs to take it up to 4. But, I can't think of anything to recommend instead of those right now.

nbhs275
09-19-2007, 10:38 AM
extend is almost necessary with the short length of the two buffs that make a battlecleric go. Divine power is 6 seconds per level, and divine favor is a flat minute casting. Makes it much simpler to only have to cast these buffs every two minutes, instead of every minute.

Girevik
09-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Dark Cupid of the Silver Flame a Lawful Good - Drow – Cleric 13 / Ranger 1
Starting Statistics (32pts)
STR 10 – DEX 17 – CON 10 – INT 10 – WIS 15 – CHA 14

I have some good news and some bad news. First, the bad news. The stats and race don't work. You can't have 32-point Drow, but you can have 32-point Elves. So, what were you thinking?

Elf: STR 10 – DEX 17 – CON 10 – INT 10 – WIS 15 – CHA 14
2 + 8 + 4 + 2 + 8 + 6 = 30
Well, that can't be it.

Drow: STR 10 – DEX 17 – CON 10 – INT 10 – WIS 15 – CHA 14
2 + 8 + 4 + 0 + 8 + 4 = 26
Well, that can't be it, either!

Now, the good news. You still have two more stat points to spend whichever way you want to go.

Go Drow if 32-point Elves aren't available. Go Elf if they are and have options for Elven Bow Enhancements.

sigtrent
09-20-2007, 11:17 AM
Your thinking of divine power, and its a 4th lvl spell..

You are correct! I get my PnP spells mixed in there from time to time, where there is Divine Power at 4th and Divine Might at 5th I think, similar spells.

sigtrent
09-20-2007, 11:26 AM
I have some good news and some bad news. First, the bad news. The stats and race don't work. You can't have 32-point Drow, but you can have 32-point Elves. So, what were you thinking?

Go Drow if 32-point Elves aren't available. Go Elf if they are and have options for Elven Bow Enhancements.

The 32 point thing was an artifact from another build, I often forget to change that part when I make a new one (I usualy start with the last similar character I made to save time.) As you note I made an error in the stats and the are 2 points short (I'll fix that). The requester wanted a drow specificaly, I'm not sure they have 32 point builds available, they didn't say they did at any rate.

Anyhow, thanks for catching the stat's error. I was adjusting them around towards the end trying to get the mix I wanted.

ErgonomicCat
09-20-2007, 03:48 PM
Your thinking of divine power, and its a 4th lvl spell.

Human may be a better choice. Should look like

Cleric 12/ ranger 2

str 20 (14 base+6 DP)
dex 26 (16 base+6 item+2 tome+2 enhancment)
con 18 (12 base+6 item)
int 8
wis 30 (16 base+6 item+4 enhancment+3 level+1 tome)
cha 16 (10 base+6 item)

Feats:

1st: Point Blank Shot
1st: Extra Turning
3rd: Mental Toughness
6th: Extend
9th: Manyshot
12th: Improved Crit: Ranged

The differences would be:

Pros: Better ranged damage
More Hitpoints
More DVs(or the same for less action points)
Has some TWF ability

Cons: Losses level 7 spells
Lower charisma, so less skill effect

Different builds with similiar outcomes. If it wherent for wanting alot of DVs, it could be just cleric ranger 13/1.

Also, with sigtrents build, it would be a good idea to try and get the three active charisma skills into the mid 20s.

I'm looking at a similar build.

My thought was elven cleric 11/ranger 2/fighter 1. You could also go cleric 11/ranger 1/fighter 2, but ranger 2 gets ranger dex.

So far, it's been pretty dang fun (at level 3). I'm a ranger 2/cleric 1. I have my buffs, I have my arrows, and I can drop an occasionally heal (though I tell my parties to think of me as a bard in terms of healing, not a cleric).

Why wouldn't you take the elven ranged enhancements? That's the only thing that made me do this build - elf dex + ranger dex + silver flame + elf ranged....

I'm not planning to focus too much on DV's, though I will have them at some level....

sigtrent
09-20-2007, 04:22 PM
Why wouldn't you take the elven ranged enhancements? That's the only thing that made me do this build - elf dex + ranger dex + silver flame + elf ranged....

If it were an elf I certainly would, but drow only get a bonus with shurakin (sp?) with thier elven ranged enhancement. The requester asked for a Drow in this case.

Lorechaser
09-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Ah ha. That explains it. Thanks!

Girevik
09-21-2007, 10:18 AM
If it were an elf I certainly would, but drow only get a bonus with shurakin (sp?) with thier elven ranged enhancement. The requester asked for a Drow in this case.

But, one of the beauteous things of this build is that it can be done with the exact same stats as a 32-point Elf.

frederjoe1
09-24-2007, 12:08 PM
I really do appreciate the build, and the reason I chose drow was, you guessed it, no 32pt available. I am sure I could go for a different race, but I kinda like the mixed approach instead of the off the shelf type of build that I was experimenting with.

Again many thanks.

DvidKnight
02-20-2010, 02:54 PM
the Drow is a 32 point build. u just cant change some of the stats like u can the other races.

Maniacmadd
02-20-2010, 10:42 PM
the Drow is a 32 point build. u just cant change some of the stats like u can the other races.

he is right tho. you start with 10 for 3 different stats. the total number on a drow is = 32 point build.

Drow isnt really the best route to go IMO if your going to be an archer cleric. Now if your going to be a shuriken cleric then yeah. balls to the wall. i tested it as a drow cleric using shurikens. Its a fairly decent build, and you can get those returning shurikens so it makes it even better. Though most clerics would be using a heal wand. But if your a ranged cleric(drow). i'd say drow shuriken over bow any day of the week.

Think of it this way. Your already given shurikens as a feat, and you get bonuses to shurikens. give yourself some strength and forget the multi-class. Probably best to go with a very high wisdom and mediocre charisma, then dump whatever you got left into your str and dex equally. Then when you get the buffs, you will be all the better.

But if your wanting bows..... well then you have no choice but to go ranger as a second class. its the only class that has bow skills that would benefit the character without having to use 2 separate stats to consider dealing melee damage.

i mean, without ranger you need DEX to be able to hit your target, STR to determine damage. so your short suiting your characters more important stats such as wisdom for your spell points and charisma for your turns, which according to the guy who wrote this thing to begin with, you wouldnt be able to sustain your buff for long because the buff you would be using relies on your turn numbers.

In the end i will stand firm on what i told my girlfriend. If you want to do any form of melee combat with a cleric, and still be a cleric. Your best using a 1 handed sword/mace/axe and giving your character 16 str, then split the remainder between your wis and cha.

Roll your first level as cleric, second as fighter. then alternate between the 2 till level 10. then all cleric. yeah you get gimped as a cleric, but you get the important spells that make the class work. and you have all the fighter boosts to back up what you already have.

My rule when building a character. Balance. a lvl 19 cleric lvl1 fighter wouldnt be very balanced. Now on the other hand, a lvl 15 cleric, lvl 5 fighter would. Where you lose in spells, you gain in melee damage and DR.

SolarDawning
02-20-2010, 10:45 PM

Holy Necromancers, Batman.

DvidKnight... before you post, please make sure the post you are responding to was not made three years ago. Thanks.

Oh, and welcome to the forums! =D