PDA

View Full Version : Ranger/Rogue or Rogue/Ranger?

Frodo_Lives
09-18-2007, 05:38 PM
I am scrapping my mid level rogue as I don't play him that much and I kind of gimped him with some stat placements and by taking a level of paladin.

Was going for one thing and kind of went in another direction. So I am starting a new character and was thinking of going 12/2 Rogue/Ranger. Now I am thinking of going 12/2 Ranger/Rogue.

I want to be able to still be a good trap monkey, and do decently in combat with this character. I have access to good (not top end) gear, and have unlocked 32 point builds.

What are the benifits of going more of a Ranger route than more rogue? I have yet to play a high level ranger and seeing as I have deleted about 3 or 4 rogues once they get to 7th or 8th level I was thinking about something a little different.

Just looking for a little insight from the more experienced ranger crowd.

rpasell
09-18-2007, 05:48 PM
I am scrapping my mid level rogue as I don't play him that much and I kind of gimped him with some stat placements and by taking a level of paladin.

Was going for one thing and kind of went in another direction. So I am starting a new character and was thinking of going 12/2 Rogue/Ranger. Now I am thinking of going 12/2 Ranger/Rogue.

I want to be able to still be a good trap monkey, and do decently in combat with this character. I have access to good (not top end) gear, and have unlocked 32 point builds.

What are the benifits of going more of a Ranger route than more rogue? I have yet to play a high level ranger and seeing as I have deleted about 3 or 4 rogues once they get to 7th or 8th level I was thinking about something a little different.

There were very few traps my 11/2 ranger/rogue couldn't handle. Plus going 2 levels of rogue to start makes UMD more of a possibility.

JelloMold
09-18-2007, 06:28 PM
I'm not too well versed in roguey things, but I would definitely recommend the ranger route for the spells and favored enemies.

Soul-Shaker
09-18-2007, 06:54 PM

By tapping into 1 rog level at level 1, opens up rog skills which a ranger with decent int should be able to keep up on all the major rog skills required with their 6+int skills per level. Skills you need to be a rog are DD, Search, OL that can be maxed to 17. So after the first rog level, 2 points are spent in DD and OL each, and 1 point in search every level to max out rog skills on ranger multiclass. Basically they reach the same strength as a pure rog but they dont have the OL and DD enhancements. Also OL isnt that important to max out since locks dont blow up. Spot and listen arent that important for traps in the static world of DDO since all traps have specific placements in the game. Just remember where they all are.

Vengenance
09-18-2007, 07:37 PM
I have a Drow 13 Rogue /1 Ranger that is very effective, he can find and disarm any trap (except cabal) on elite. He has a high UMD, can scroll a GH spell w/greater than 50% success, does insane DPS with backstabbing and is really fun to say.

I also have an Elven 13 Ranger /1 Rogue (32 pt build) who can also find and disarm any trap (except cabal) on elite. I may take one or two tries but I won't blow a box on a 1. She also has a decent UMD (27), can cast greater resists on entire party along with +5 barkskin and jump. She does insane DPS dual wielding, can fight effetively sword and board style (42 AC), and do some serious damage with range (many shot for the win). She is by far my funnest toon to play.

Before her my rogue was my favorite toon, but since I've leveled her I hardly ever play him any longer. So my suggestion is go the ranger route, either 1 rogue /13 Ranger or 2 rogue / 12 Ranger. If you go 2/12 make sure you take rogue your first level and your last level to max out as many skills as possible.

Osharan_Tregarth
09-20-2007, 12:22 AM
Also, the 11/2/1 ranger/paladin/rogue breakdown is pretty tasty. You get a nice bonus to your saves, and can still maintain some good trap monkey skills.

Grenfell
09-26-2007, 11:42 AM
I still love my little round mound of astound. Mainly the HP advantage over the Elf/Drow builds are amazing for combat-oriented builds. I have never blown a trap, nor failed to find one (except The Trap), but who knows what Mod 5 brings?

Dwarf Rog1/Ranger13 FTW!

Although the Drow Rog1/Pal2/Ranger11 is really really interesting.

/gren

Zenako
09-26-2007, 11:55 AM
I too would favor the Ranger heavy build. Jareko can do all the reasonable traps....and everyone knows the unreasonable one....which thankfully is kinda optional.

I did give him a 14 INT so with 8 skill points a level, could keep up DD, OL and 4 skills like Spot, Search, Hide and Move Silent (IIRC). With all the built in Ranger fighting feats you can be a very effective fighter (ranged or melee). Chose to ignore UMD on that character by design.

QuantumFX
09-26-2007, 09:34 PM
12 Ranger/2 Rogue wins hands down. They're way more durable than any rogue build. (Better Fort saves, HP and self buffs)