PDA

View Full Version : What feats are you carrying?

Jaysensen
09-18-2007, 04:45 PM
and Why? Please describe the rationale used when you selected this feat. Why do you consider this a good feat vs some other feat. Why is _____ a good feat? Is it good for just your build, or for all Rangers? (edit)

Basically I am looking for some quotes to update the tips thread. If you would like to be included, please be objective as possible, and clear and concise. Ideally as a general tip, but secondarily as what kind of build would make use of the feat.

Some feats may not need much explanation

Tawnie
Combat Expertise - CE useful on AC builds, especially when CE bumps your AC in the high 50s. Highly useful when zerging through quests.
Skill Focus: UMD - more of a "nice to have" but very important for in combat rezzes of the Cleric. Highly useful for achieving reliable use of utility scrolls such as Dimension Door, Cloudkill, and Restoration.
Dodge - retaken after various items were moved around to reliably achieve mid50s AC. Dodge not worth the feat if AC is only in the 40s.

Vengenance
09-18-2007, 08:02 PM
My feats for my Elven 13 Ranger / 1 Rogue
30 Dex / 26 Str
Use longswords and long bows and use elven enhancements for both

1: Toughness
2: SF:UMD
3: Weapon Focus:Slashing
4: Improved Critical:Range
5: Improved Critical: Slashing

Favored Enemy:
1) Undead
2) Elemental
3) Evil Outsiders

WeiQuinn
09-18-2007, 08:31 PM
WeiQuinn (Elf) Ranger 14:
This was my first character and I specced him out as a Ranged Ranger.

1.Point Blank Shot
3.Dodge
6.Mobility
9.Shot on the Run
12.Weapon Finesse
level 15 feat is to be Improved Critical: Ranged

Favored Enemies: Undead, Aberrations, Evil Outsiders
level 15 Favored Enemy is to be Elementals

Shandrea (Drow) Ranger 12/Bard 1/Wizard 1:
I deceided to make a Rapier/Short Sword Melee Ranger that has some Arcane tricks up her sleeve and a decent UMD score.

1.Weapon Finesse
2.Extend (Wizard bonus feat)
3.Dodge
6.Mobility
9.Skill Focus: UMD
12.Improved Critical: Piercing
level 15 feat is to be Improved Critical: Ranged

Syris (Human) Ranger 11/Rogue 3:
This is a 32-point reroll of a 28-point build I deleted. He is based on the Scout class and will use Short Swords/Daggers and Short Bows. He, too, should have a decent UMD score.

1.Dodge
1.Mobility (Human bonus feat)
3.Weapon Finesse
6.Skill Focus: UMD
9.Improved Critical: Piercing
12.Improved Critical: Ranged
level 15 feat is to be Iron Will

All of my builds are Dexterity based builds (which is why they all have Weapon Finesse) and all of them started with a 14 Strength so as not to totally gimp them in the damage department.

I eventually want to roll up a Strength based Bastard Sword/Shield and Greataxe user with all of the Fighter Slashing feats (maybe a Paladin/Fighter hybrid).

As for my existing characters, I chose Shot on the Run for WeiQuinn because at the time he was created, you needed SotR in order to move and shoot. I don't want to change it because I set him up originally to be a Ranged attacker and it fits nicely with his playstyle.

As for the other 2, Shandrea is primarily going to be Melee with good bow skills if needed and Syris is to be a support type character (picking locks/disarming traps if there is no primary rogue, stat damaging from Range or Sneak Attacking with Short Sword & Dagger Wounders).

Snike
09-18-2007, 09:15 PM
I don't find the use of a feat for 1AC useful unless I'm going to the prereq for spring attack.

Soul-Shaker
09-19-2007, 12:57 AM
Think some of you missed what the OP wanted. He didnt want the reasons your build took the feat, but what feats fit certain builds and a useful tip that goes with it. like the 3 examples he used or

Spring attack - Great for twf twitch attack builds and getting the best out of 8 attack combat round by moving on the first swing. But high dex finesse builds with a high +* weapon wont benefit from this since -4 tohit wont hurt much.

Jaysensen
09-19-2007, 12:19 PM
I don't find the use of a feat for 1AC useful unless I'm going to the prereq for spring attack.

When you are going from 55 to 56 AC its pretty useful. Or from 60 to 61. But not from 30 to 31. If you are fighting monsters in the correct attack range, its a 5% reduction in damage taken. If you get hit on 19s, then it wont be useful.

Osharan_Tregarth
09-20-2007, 12:20 AM
Let's see.. My drow ranger runs with the following feats....

SF : UMD With the golden cartouche, the luck gloves, a +6 cha cloak, and a planar gird, I can hit 22 umd. Just enough to be able to put on all of the rr items in the game. Before I got a planar gird, I had a couple of levels of Ranger skill boost enhancements.
Improved crit piercing I like the ranged dps for manyshot, but it's too limited to rely on constantly. With the drow enhancements for rapiers/shortswords, improved crit piercing seemed like a no brainer. My current default twf layout is a +5 acid rapier of puncturing, with a +1 seeker(+10) light pick offhand.
Improved crit ranged Mainly for the nice amounts of dps with manyshot active. Made a big improvement in ranged dps when I used to rely on the silver bow.
Combat Expertise I'd only recently picked up combat expertise when I started seriously farming the demon queen raid, and it's made a big improvedment in my soloability in all of the desert quests. I could always solo stuff before, but it's made a big difference in playstyle. Before I would sneak past most stuff, now I just kill it. I can't quite reach the "useful" ac cutoff for gianthold questing, but it's within reach. I'm also using three tiers of favored enemy defense.
Weapon Finesse Duhhhhh......

Started with these stats...
Str 10
Dex 18
Con 12
Int 14
Wis 14
Cha 10

I'd originally started this character to be a "Utility" build, who'd have access to all kinds of skills, and be able cast a lot of spells while doing solo runs. If I were going to remake him, I'd use different stats. I ended up having to eat a +2 con tome for my 1750 instead of a dex, which cost me another point of armor class and +1 to hit.

Snike
09-20-2007, 09:21 AM
When you are going from 55 to 56 AC its pretty useful. Or from 60 to 61. But not from 30 to 31. If you are fighting monsters in the correct attack range, its a 5% reduction in damage taken. If you get hit on 19s, then it wont be useful.

Aye thank you for explaining, that is what I was refurring to.

Strakeln
09-20-2007, 10:20 AM
My Elf Ranger 13/Rogue 1 has the following, in addition to the ranger class feats:

1) Rapid Reload (crossbow)
2) Weapon Finesse
3) Extend spell
4) Improved Crit: Ranged
5) Improved Crit: Slashing

With the next level increase, I will likely drop both extend spell and rapid reload. Extend was great at lower levels, but it's not so necessary when non-extended buffs are 14 minutes or more. Rapid reload was for specialty weapons that require a crit to take effect... particularly banishers. With the next level increase, mobs immune to the effect will start becoming a lot more common.

I'm considering power attack, combat expertise, and toughness as possible candidates to replace the swapped feats.