PDA

View Full Version : Announcing: Some changes to the infraction system.

Quarion
09-17-2007, 02:24 PM
Greetings!

I just wanted to let you all know that we have made some revisions the infraction system.

If you've ever received a warning or infraction, you may notice some wonkiness in your infraction record. For example, your infraction description may say something different than you originally received the infraction for. However, your point total has not changed.

You'll be happy to hear we've also revamped the infractions to be a bit more community friendly:

Most of the infractions now have an expiration date. Your points may expire after a period of good behavior, however, if you continue to violate the guidelines, this expiration date is extended for each infraction you receive. Also, for the more severe violations, the infraction points are permanent.
Many of the infraction point values have been adjusted to friendlier levels. This does not mean you may misbehave more often. We will be less lenient if you violate the rules, than we have been in the past.
Most infraction descriptions are now very specific and now quote which forum guideline has been violated to better explain why the infraction has been given.
As always, Turbine reserves the right to assign custom infractions of varying point values and expiration duration should it be necessary.The points-to-ban thresholds remain as they always have:

10 points = 24 hour time out
15 points = 72 hour time out
20 points = Permanent Ban from the forumsIf you have any questions on these changes, please do not hesitate to ask.

-Quarion

Ustice
09-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Is there a list? (Not that I am looking to do do any of them... :) )

StanC
09-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Does this mean that some of those that have been banned in the past may be able to eventually come back ?

Roguewiz
09-17-2007, 02:59 PM
Greetings!

I just wanted to let you all know that we have made some revisions the infraction system.

If you've ever received a warning or infraction, you may notice some wonkiness in your infraction record. For example, your infraction description may say something different than you originally received the infraction for. However, your point total has not changed.

You'll be happy to hear we've also revamped the infractions to be a bit more community friendly:

Most of the infractions now have an expiration date. Your points may expire after a period of good behavior, however, if you continue to violate the guidelines, this expiration date is extended for each infraction you receive. Also, for the more severe violations, the infraction points are permanent.
Many of the infraction point values have been adjusted to friendlier levels. This does not mean you may misbehave more often. We will be less lenient if you violate the rules, than we have been in the past.
Most infraction descriptions are now very specific and now quote which forum guideline has been violated to better explain why the infraction has been given.
As always, Turbine reserves the right to assign custom infractions of varying point values and expiration duration should it be necessary.The points-to-ban thresholds remain as they always have:

20 points = Permanent Ban from the forumsIf you have any questions on these changes, please do not hesitate to ask.

-Quarion

How do we know if we have recieved infraction points? Do we recieve a private message?

Impaqt
09-17-2007, 03:04 PM
If you've got erm, you know.

Are all Previous Points going to remain permanent? I "know someone" with a couple points that still say they never expire:D

Drider
09-17-2007, 03:04 PM
How do we know if we have recieved infraction points? Do we recieve a private message?

Click at the top of the forum where it says "User CP". If you have any infractions it will show on that screen.

Missing_Minds
09-17-2007, 03:26 PM
You know.. i hope the system realizes that if you say go from 11 infractions to 10 infractions it doesn't automatically smack you with a 24 hour ban. :)

Dane_McArdy
09-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Um, Q, you talked about Fight Club, does that mean you just earned yourself and infraction?

I'm just saying!

Litz
09-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Are these changes backdated to old offenses? If so mine didn't change.

apollojuly
09-17-2007, 04:03 PM
I liked the old system. Not sure about the new guidelines.

Quarion
09-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Are these changes backdated to old offenses? If so mine didn't change.

Your past infractions will not change, other than possibly the description.

Any changes made to the infraction system ONLY effects infractions from this point on, to prevent unfair increases (or decreases) in point totals, when the person didn't do anything to deserve the change.

For example: If changing the point value of an infraction effected previous infractions, and the point value of a certain infraction were ever increased, then anyone who received an infraction for that in the past would have their total increased, even though they didn't do anything to deserve more points, and could even end up over one of the ban thresholds.

I liked the old system. Not sure about the new guidelines.

The guidelines haven't changed. The forum are the same as they always have been. The only thing that changed was the descriptions of the INFRACTIONS, to more clearly outline which guideline the post violates, and some point values have been reduced.

Furgulder
09-17-2007, 04:11 PM
None of mine expire. I guess poor spelling and grammar are too sensitive for some people to be made fun of.

Impaqt
09-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Thats pretty sad... anyone who makes a mistake from here on out can have their infractions go away.. but people who make a mistake months ago have to live with it forever...

If the points expire anyway, what would be the harm if an infraction that was 2 points 4 months ago became 3?

Please consider addressing long time customers infraction points.. if even on a case by case basis.

Ron
09-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Are all Previous Points going to remain permanent? I "know someone" with a couple points that still say they never expire:D

I also "know someone" in the same situation. Are old (minor) infractions that currently listed as never expiring going to get changed to have an expiration date? Even if the date starts from today?

ccheath776
09-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Greetings!

-Quarion

Custom infractions?
Does that mean I get to color mine a shade of pink as opposed to red?:D :D

Dane_McArdy
09-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Thats pretty sad... anyone who makes a mistake from here on out can have their infractions go away.. but people who make a mistake months ago have to live with it forever...

If the points expire anyway, what would be the harm if an infraction that was 2 points 4 months ago became 3?

Please consider addressing long time customers infraction points.. if even on a case by case basis.

Yeah, that's a good point. Some one could concievably wait till some points expire, then act up. Or more likely, act up a lot get a lot of points, wait till they expire.

jjflanigan
09-17-2007, 06:41 PM
I know someone that got 2 infraction points for insulting himself. I have heard that the infraction is still marked as never expiring as well.

Quarion
09-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Yeah, that's a good point. Some one could concievably wait till some points expire, then act up. Or more likely, act up a lot get a lot of points, wait till they expire.

Dane,
this kind of abuse is what we'd use custom infractions for, as well as our ability to give anyone a time-out or ban outside of the infraction system.

-Quarion

Ziggy
09-17-2007, 07:19 PM
So old infractions will never expire?

I know of someone who got a point for bumping outside the marketplace and he says it still says it will never expire.

Any chance of looking into this for him;) ?

Lorien_the_First_One
09-17-2007, 07:21 PM
The guidelines haven't changed. The forum are the same as they always have been. The only thing that changed was the descriptions of the INFRACTIONS, to more clearly outline which guideline the post violates, and some point values have been reduced.

And a list of those penalties can be found where? It's only fair... can you imagine in football knowing that an illegal tackle was a penalty but not knowing if it was 10 yards or 50 yards until after you were penalized...and then being told you would be penalized again if you told anyone what the penalty was?

You know.. i hope the system realizes that if you say go from 11 infractions to 10 infractions it doesn't automatically smack you with a 24 hour ban. :)

lmao, oh that would be funny.

bigal4458
09-17-2007, 07:56 PM
Are we allowed to give Turbine infraction points for poorly managing this game?

Just playing. The staff does great considering the resources they have. You can count on my $15/month for now :D

xberto
09-17-2007, 10:02 PM
I don't think this thread applies to me. I play nice.

cdbd3rd
09-18-2007, 12:38 AM
Easy guys. It may be a thread about the Frax system, but you prolly still don't want to talk about who/if/how many frax you or someone else has - just to be safe. ;)

Riddikulus
09-18-2007, 01:03 AM
Yeah I guess I have an issue with the 20 points = permaban thing.

Infractions are handed out for the most innocuous things at times... it would be relatively easy to rack up 20 over the course of a couple years for nothing more than being a little rude, a little observant :rolleyes:, or just defending yourself.

I say 20 points should be a month. And then every 5 points after that is another month. That is a large enough stick that you wouldn't have to permaban except in extreme cases where the person is just going off the deep end. That would also mean you wouldn't need to be putting in expirations and hearing the complaints of all the existing no-expirations.

apollojuly
09-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Infractions are handed out for the most innocuous things at times... it would be relatively easy to rack up 20 over the course of a couple years for nothing more than being a little rude, a little observant :rolleyes:, or just defending yourself.

Sorry gotta disagree. It's incredibly easy NOT to get infraction points and still engage in productive and meaningful dialogue on these boards.

loki523
09-18-2007, 07:49 AM
Let's say there was a person who got involved in a flame war LONG before these boards even HAD infraction points. They got warned not to insult other posters. Then they got reported for making another insult and they got permabanned from the boards. Those two infractions are worth maybe 7 points under the current system yet that person is still permabanned to this day. What recourse does said person have? Not only should their ban be lifted because they never accrued enough points under the infraction system to get permabanned but now the system will allow new offenders to get a clean slate over time? Yet this person who got permabanned before the infraction point system can NEVER get reinstated, much less have a clean slate even after 18 months? Please explain how that's fair...

loki523
09-18-2007, 07:57 AM
Any changes made to the infraction system ONLY effects infractions from this point on, to prevent unfair increases (or decreases) in point totals, when the person didn't do anything to deserve the change.

True, the person didn't do anything to deserve an immediate increase/decrease in point total but they also didn't do anything to deserve their infraction points for x,y,and z offenses being permanent whereas those offenses now carry temporary points for others who commit them. Easy enough to fix that to make things a little more fair...

Rekker
09-18-2007, 08:10 AM
Where can you see how many infraction points you have ???

Missing_Minds
09-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Yet this person who got permabanned before the infraction point system can NEVER get reinstated, much less have a clean slate even after 18 months? Please explain how that's fair...

Very simple. First you are expecting "fair". As we have told many a person before, this isn't PnP. This is DDO, their house their rules. *shrug* our choice to play or not to play.

(Yeah, i agree, it stinks that there is NO way to get rid of the old infractions even for good behavior.)

Vinos
09-18-2007, 08:18 AM
Where can you see how many infraction points you have ???

Click User CP on the top toolbar.

barecm
09-18-2007, 12:17 PM
Then to be fair, how about wiping the slate clean for everyone? Keeping old infractions in place only serves to anger the folks who have been around for a while and got a few points here and there. The same people who have been playing the game for a while, paying their monthly fee for a while, not leaving the game for another game for a while.... I think you get my point. The lack of vision in decision making by this company leaves much to be desired at times.

Furgulder
09-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Yeah I guess I have an issue with the 20 points = permaban thing.

Infractions are handed out for the most innocuous things at times... it would be relatively easy to rack up 20 over the course of a couple years for nothing more than being a little rude, a little observant , or just defending yourself.

I agree. Permanent bans should not be dished out on a whim. Personally I feel people who stick with the game should have their infractions looked at and possibly removed after X amount of months of dedication to this game.

Also I think Turbine should have a once a year Amnesty banned persons can rejoin the community. Even prisoners get a second chance sometimes.

Vinos
09-18-2007, 01:44 PM
Interesting situation you got yourselves into Turbine. What would happen to all the people serving 20 year sentences for drugs if all of a sudden all the new sentences were only 5 years? Should the people who did it before the change have thier sentences reduced? Always wondered about that.

The_Mighty_Cube
09-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Geez, we give you an inch... *squish*

I'm closing this thread because I just had to go and remove nearly 15 posts which violate guidelines. Lets not let it happen again.