PDA

View Full Version : Does potency supercede everything or not?

transtemporal
09-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Seen lots of threads discussing enhancements stacking w items/spells/feats etc but never seen this actually confirmed:

Glaciation/combustion/freeze/inferno etc items stack with Elemental Manipulation enhancements. Does a potency item stack with these as well or does it supercede an item of equal/lower spell level and magnitude?
For example:
1) Does an improved potency IV item supercede a glaciation V item when casting Ice Storm?
2) Does an improved potency IV item supercede a superior combustion IV item when casting firewall?
3) In each case, does potency instead stack with the glaciation/combustion?

Cheers,
transtemporal

Aranticus
09-16-2007, 11:30 PM
Seen lots of threads discussing enhancements stacking w items/spells/feats etc but never seen this actually confirmed:

Glaciation/combustion/freeze/inferno etc items stack with Elemental Manipulation enhancements. Does a potency item stack with these as well or does it supercede an item of equal/lower spell level and magnitude?
For example:
1) Does an improved potency IV item supercede a glaciation V item when casting Ice Storm?
2) Does an improved potency IV item supercede a superior combustion IV item when casting firewall?

Cheers,
transtemporal

items will stack with enhancements but not with other items

potency will not stack with glaciation or combustion, the highest will determine your damage. take Q2 as an example. superior will give 50% where as improved 30%. so the damage of your firewall will be 50% better if both are equipped (taking the max from the combustion item)

take for example a superior pot IV and a greater combustion VII. if you cast a firewall, or icestorm, the superior potency will give 50% more damage to the spell. greater combustion only give 40% so the potency item is used. again combustion add for fire spells so does nothing for ice storm. if i were to cast delayed blast fireball (L7 spell), my damage will be +40% as the superior potency item is for spells up to L4

transtemporal
09-16-2007, 11:46 PM
Sweet, cheers. Glad I didn't just get rid of a superior combustion ring for nothing. :)

Aranticus
09-16-2007, 11:52 PM
yw. btw which server are u on, if khyber do look me up if u need tips :)

transtemporal
09-17-2007, 12:11 AM
yw. btw which server are u on, if khyber do look me up if u need tips :)

Damn, I'm on Argonessen. Thanks for the offer though! :D

Theres a whole stack of questions I have around items and item slots for sorcerers, but thats a post for another day... :)

tihocan
09-17-2007, 09:16 AM
A short answer is yes.

Mad_Bombardier
09-17-2007, 09:27 AM
3) In each case, does potency instead stack with the glaciation/combustion?1) Yes. Improved (30%) is better than 20% for L4 Ice Storm. But, your ImpPotIV scepter has NO effect on L5 Cone of Cold, so you get 20% from your GlaciationV item.
2) No, 40% < 50%.
3) You take the highest % for the dmg type/spell level you are trying to cast.

Standpoint
09-17-2007, 03:52 PM
So, does potency stack w/ efficacy? I have been collecting efficacy clickies out of lack of decent end rewards.

Efficacy increases the damage of X spell level, by X depending on the type.

Potency affect all spells by X.

So, do they stack?

Mad_Bombardier
09-17-2007, 03:53 PM
So, does potency stack w/ efficacy? I have been collecting efficacy clickies out of lack of decent end rewards.

Efficacy increases the damage of X spell level, by X depending on the type.

Potency affect all spells by X.

So, do they stack?No. (sorry, but they can all be vendored)

Symar-FangofLloth
09-17-2007, 04:03 PM
So, efficacy is ****? :p

I'd like to know, does Potency affect healing spells as well? If so, I'll just use the Belt of Seven Ideals on my bard and not worry about a Devotion item (except I've already got a good one stashed away :cool:.)

Borror0
09-17-2007, 04:05 PM

I'd like to know, does Potency affect healing spells as well? If so, I'll just use the Belt of Seven Ideals on my bard and not worry about a Devotion item (except I've already got a good one stashed away :cool:.)

Yes, potency affects healing.

Impaqt
09-17-2007, 04:07 PM

Yes to Both.....
The belt is just 30% though.. Greater is pretty common, SUperior is out there.

blakbyrd
09-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Basically Efficacy is just a clicky version of potency. Most such forms of spell boosters work the same way. Combustion is the permanent boost while there is also a clickable version of the same.

Generally most people are after the permanent versions for obvious reasons. However clickable versions are not quite as expensive powerwise and thus you can more easily acquire higher power rated versions in a clickie.

So, whether you wish to vendor off the clickable versions is up to you. However if you had an improved potency 6 scepter, and a clickable superior efficacy 6 scepter, you could maintain doing 30% extra damage at all times, yet boost that to 50% for a short period of time with the clickie. At which point you would then drop back down to 30% damage when the clickie wore off, instead of relying on the clickies alone. Sometimes you may not need the superior damage, so it may not be such a big deal, however superior potency is of course much better then superior efficacy.

If your comparison is between a like powered potency and a like powered efficacy, then the potency is the one to use and the efficacy would be pointless to keep.

transtemporal
09-17-2007, 04:41 PM

Yeah, efficacy is ****, however you can pick up a superior efficacy item way easier than a superior potency item. Its really a stop gap measure until you get a potency item, but can be useful from time to time.

Its kinda getting away from my original topic, but two more questions:

1) what slot do people usually use for their potency item? I've only seen one-handed weapons, headgear and the occasional ring. I wanted to stay away from carrying my potency item in a weapon slot because I carry supfirelore in one and evocation/illusion focus in the other. Don't really need the evocation/illusion focus I guess...

2) where are the potency items at? I've never seen one at auction above SupPotIII (which I promptly bought).

tihocan
09-18-2007, 11:42 AM
1) what slot do people usually use for their potency item? I've only seen one-handed weapons, headgear and the occasional ring. I wanted to stay away from carrying my potency item in a weapon slot because I carry supfirelore in one and evocation/illusion focus in the other. Don't really need the evocation/illusion focus I guess...

2) where are the potency items at? I've never seen one at auction above SupPotIII (which I promptly bought).
1. Weapons are most common. Otherwise, headgear and ring, but much harder to find.

2. I usually see tons of potency scepters on Thelanis' AH.

Aranticus
09-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Yeah, efficacy is ****, however you can pick up a superior efficacy item way easier than a superior potency item. Its really a stop gap measure until you get a potency item, but can be useful from time to time.

Its kinda getting away from my original topic, but two more questions:

sup pot V and above are all the "in" items for casting classes. just get the one you need, ie if u only ever cast L4 spells, get pot IV is sufficient. this is what i do with my toons. gave my wiz sup pot V and my clr sup pot VI. my wiz never cast a damage spell above V but my clr uses blade barrier often.

instead of pot, u can also substitute with glaciation and combustion. just remember to switch to them for the appropiate spells.

ps i last sold a sup pot V for 800k pp..... :D

transtemporal
09-18-2007, 11:53 PM
1. Weapons are most common. Otherwise, headgear and ring, but much harder to find.

2. I usually see tons of potency scepters on Thelanis' AH.

Yeah, I'm thinking I might have to get a supPotV weapon. Being a more common slot sounds like it would be "easier" to acquire. From what Aranticus is saying though, it could be incredibly expensive. I've played since July but I've never seen a SupPot item above III.

tihocan
09-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking I might have to get a supPotV weapon. Being a more common slot sounds like it would be "easier" to acquire. From what Aranticus is saying though, it could be incredibly expensive.
Not from my experience. Well maybe, but I have bought a couple of sup potency IV and greater potency VI scepters at reasonable prices (= 10k pp or so). They do the job :)

Borror0
09-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Not from my experience. Well maybe, but I have bought a couple of sup potency IV and greater potency VI scepters at reasonable prices (= 10k pp or so). They do the job :)

Same for me, Sup potency IV is all you need most of the time, you only need V for Cone of Cold.

Mad_Bombardier
09-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Go for the readily available at auction GreaterPotencyVI. I'll gladly take +40% to my Cone of Cold, Otiluke's Freezing Sphere, and Disintegrate and -10% to my Wall of Fire (versus SupPotIV) any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

transtemporal
09-23-2007, 11:46 PM
Go for the readily available at auction GreaterPotencyVI. I'll gladly take +40% to my Cone of Cold, Otiluke's Freezing Sphere, and Disintegrate and -10% to my Wall of Fire (versus SupPotIV) any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Ha, so after not having seen any supPot items above III, I see like 4 supPot IV in a row in the weekend. I bought one pretty cheap but previous to that I already bought a grtrPot V. Now I'm stuck with a dilema.

Gaffer666
10-10-2007, 10:26 AM
So you're basically saying there is no point in first using a clickie to improve the efficacty of a spell type and then swapping to a potency item to boost its damage effect?? :confused:

Mad_Bombardier
10-10-2007, 10:44 AM
So you're basically saying there is no point in first using a clickie to improve the efficacty of a spell type and then swapping to a potency item to boost its damage effect?? :confused:Correct. Does not stack; only the highest % bonus for spell level is applied.

Gaffer666
10-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Correct. Does not stack; only the highest % bonus for spell level is applied.

But I thought one increased the potency and the other the DC, so essentailly are different boosts? :confused:

Mad_Bombardier
10-12-2007, 07:34 AM
But I thought one increased the potency and the other the DC, so essentailly are different boosts? :confused:Efficacy and Potency are the same thing. Efficacy is 30 second clicky, Potency is static boost. Sell your Efficacy clickies now; they are worthless.

Focus items increase the Spell DC of your spells, so you can use a Potency item and Evocation Focus item to grant 1 less chance to save against your <Fireball>. But, remember that many damage mages use spells that offer no save at all. So, Focus items do not always apply.

Lizardgrad89
10-12-2007, 03:00 PM
ps i last sold a sup pot V for 800k pp..... :D

Yet I bought the same item on the Thelanis AH for 7.2k pp.

The auction house can be a funny thing...

Gaffer666
10-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Efficacy and Potency are the same thing. Efficacy is 30 second clicky, Potency is static boost. Sell your Efficacy clickies now; they are worthless.

Focus items increase the Spell DC of your spells, so you can use a Potency item and Evocation Focus item to grant 1 less chance to save against your <Fireball>. But, remember that many damage mages use spells that offer no save at all. So, Focus items do not always apply.

But one changes the amount of "damage" and the other the diff in resistance, so how can they be the same?? :confused: I would still thought that you use the efficacy to increase the damage, and then the potency to make it more difficult to resist. If they are both the same, then why have them present and not just the one?

Mad_Bombardier
10-16-2007, 04:39 PM
But one changes the amount of "damage" and the other the diff in resistance, so how can they be the same?? :confused: I would still thought that you use the efficacy to increase the damage, and then the potency to make it more difficult to resist. If they are both the same, then why have them present and not just the one?Efficacy is temporary damage/output boost (30sec clicky). Potency is all the time damage/output boost.
<damage type> Lore increases the % chance to crit and sometimes crit multiplier.
<spell school> Focus increases the spell DC.

3 different ways to boost different aspects of spells. Wait, didn't I already explain this above? ;)

Impaqt
10-16-2007, 04:45 PM
One More Time.. THis Time WIth Pictures....

Dragon Eye: Superior Efficacy V
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/CJGMURPG/DDOitems/DragonsEye.jpg

Efficacy Increases the damage of your 5th Level spells and lower by 50%

Robe of Arcane Puissance: Potency IV
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/CJGMURPG/DDOitems/RobeofArcanePuissance.jpg
Increases the efectiveness of your 4th Level and lower spells by 20%

Different Wording.. Exact same effect..... But Efficacy is a Clicky with a 30 Second Duration.

I use a Greater Potency 7 Septre all the time.. I carry a Superior Efficacy Clicky for those times when I want just a little more out f my Blade Barrier... most of the time I dont botter to click it though.

Focus Items increase DC of the spells.'

Perceval418
10-16-2007, 07:07 PM

For example:

Cheers,
transtemporal

The highest modifer wins out. Glacation V is better than Imp. Pot. IV. Sup Comb. IV is better than Imp. Pot. IV. None of the items stack. But your Enhancements to Fire will stack with either Potency or Combustion for example, whichever has the highest modifer.

Missing_Minds
10-17-2007, 10:25 AM
The highest modifer wins out. Glacation V is better than Imp. Pot. IV. Sup Comb. IV is better than Imp. Pot. IV. None of the items stack. But your Enhancements to Fire will stack with either Potency or Combustion for example, whichever has the highest modifer.

You got it a bit wrong there, Perceval. Glacation V is only better than Imp Pot IV for 5th lvl ice spells. Glacation is only a 20% to ice spells while the Imp Pot is a 30% to all.

In the case of his example, the Imp. Pot IV will be used because Ice Storm is a 3rd lvl spell.

Gaffer666
10-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Ok, I gedditt (and thats without the pictures thanks)! But it still comes down to my other point, which was, whats the point in having both?

Mad_Bombardier
10-17-2007, 11:52 AM
But it still comes down to my other point, which was, whats the point in having both?There are different aspects of spells to be boosted. So, boost anything/everything you can. Kind of like putting a turbo boost on your car and making sure you upgrade the tires to keep yourself on the road.

But as for using Efficacy AND Potency, there is no use. They do not stack.

Missing_Minds
10-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Ok, I gedditt (and thats without the pictures thanks)! But it still comes down to my other point, which was, whats the point in having both?

In most cases their really isn't a point to having both. However...

Lets say that my level 14 sorc runs around with a Sup. Pot. 5 item constantly, but also as a Sup Efficaty 6 item as well. Normally why bother at all with the clicky during the run. It is more of a pain to keep track of.

Then come in boss. My Sup. Pot 5 won't touch my Disintegrate spell at all. It is a level 6. So for the boss fight, *click* suddenly my disintegrate can do 50% more damage to the boss. Granted I have to refresh it every 30 seconds, but in those *special* situations, it can make a difference.

Me.. I'm lazy and save my plat for that special potency item that can show up in the AH.

transtemporal
10-17-2007, 08:18 PM
But one changes the amount of "damage" and the other the diff in resistance, so how can they be the same?? :confused: I would still thought that you use the efficacy to increase the damage, and then the potency to make it more difficult to resist. If they are both the same, then why have them present and not just the one?

Potency & Efficacy have the same effect (increase damage). Potency/Efficacy and Spell/School Focus (increase save DC) have different effects.

MB was just illustrating the point that if you used a spell/school focus item and a potency item together, the potency item increases the overall amount of damage you do but the school focus item increases the DC of the victims reflex save by 1, thereby increasing the overall chance of dealing full damage rather than 1/2 damage. (Or at least, I think thats what he was trying to say).

In the case of his example, the Imp. Pot IV will be used because Ice Storm is a 3rd lvl spell.

Isn't Ice Storm a 4th level spell?

Missing_Minds
10-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Isn't Ice Storm a 4th level spell?

I stand corrected, it is a 4th lvl spell. However, the answer remains the same.

Gaffer666
10-22-2007, 06:53 PM
Guys, you're a mine-field of info. :cool: My thanks. :D