PDA

View Full Version : Which feats help charm?

Xirxx
09-15-2007, 06:43 AM
Do empower or spell pen help charm?

Thanks!

Fennario
09-15-2007, 07:11 AM
Empower will not help Charm. Nor will Maximize.

Spell Penetration will help you Charm mobs that have SR.

The feats that will make your Charm resisted less are:

Spell Focus: Enchantment
Greater Spell Focus: Enchantment

These will both add +1 to the DC of your Charm spell, and any other spell from the Enchantment school.

An Enchantment focus item will also add +1 to your DC, and will stack with any feat(s) that you have.

Oh yeah... Extend will make the duration of your Charms longer.

Xirxx
09-15-2007, 03:50 PM
thanks!

Jarlaxel
09-15-2007, 03:52 PM
oooo you forgot heighten.

redoubt
09-15-2007, 07:59 PM
I'm pretty sure extend only effects some of the enchantments. Charm is based on a save by the mob. Suggestion on the otherhand is based on a timer, thus extend would affect it. Check the spell descriptions. If it says 10+6sec per caster level (or similar) then extend should have an affect on it. If it talks about "mobs get to save every xx seconds" extend will probably not affect it. Area affect spells will benifit from extend... oh duh on my part... look in the compendium and see if the extend icon is next to the spell. Turbine already tells you if it helps or not! :)
I have an enchanter/CC sorc.

I have:

SF: enchant
GSF: enchant
spell pen
Heighten
SF: illusion (some other good CC spells and PK.)

Enhancements:
max spell pen
Others are not directly related to enchantments.

-----

If you really wanted maximize your chances of hitting everything you could swap SF:illusion for the second spell pen feat.

For items you'll want an enchantment item and a spell pen (or greater spell pen) item up to your highest enchantment spell.

A little more than you asked about directly, but if you put the whole package together the enchantment field can be very effective.

Enjoy!

skraus1
09-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Extend changes the maximum length a mob can be charmed/dominated. They get their normal saves though, so it's better to use on either dominate, to get those quest long charms, or on the suggestion line which only get one save.

It really depends on the situation, the quest, and what spell you are using.

In quests that are very flat without many sticking points, extended dominates can get you a MASSIVE army.

CSFurious
09-17-2007, 05:26 PM
heighten is most powerful feat for what you want

as to illusions, they have nothing to do with any enchantment-based spells

other than blur & displacement, and shadow walk, the only illusion-school spells, i can even think of are the pk & hypno pattern

dominate person also works for a long time whether or not it is extended

redoubt
09-18-2007, 01:11 AM
heighten is most powerful feat for what you want

as to illusions, they have nothing to do with any enchantment-based spells

other than blur & displacement, and shadow walk, the only illusion-school spells, i can even think of are the pk & hypno pattern

dominate person also works for a long time whether or not it is extended

You are correct, and if you are refering to my post (as I'm the only one who even mentioned Illusion) I stated clearly that it was for other CC spells. Most, please note the word "most" not all, enchantment focused folks will consider themselves CC types. So I posted my personal CC build and even added the caveats where my selections were not directly related to "charms" and were simpley "CC" or not related at all.

Thanks! :cool:

Xirxx
09-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Can someone explain heighten exactly?

d20srd.org states -

"A heightened spell has a higher spell level than normal (up to a maximum of 9th level). Unlike other metamagic feats, Heighten Spell actually increases the effective level of the spell that it modifies. All effects dependent on spell level (such as saving throw (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm#savingThrows) DCs and ability to penetrate a lesser globe of invulnerability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/globeOfInvulnerabilityLesser.htm)) are calculated according to the heightened level. The heightened spell is as difficult to prepare and cast as a spell of its effective level."

and ddowiki states -
"This feat (http://ddo.enterwiki.net/page/Feat) makes spells harder for monsters to resist by raising the effective level of the spell, but causes the spell to consume 5 more spell points per level raised. "

If I am level 5 sorceror casting Command Undead, it is like I am casting it as a 6th level sorceror?

-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-

found the answer myself in another post - http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=119607&highlight=heighten

I didn't realize that the spells were not cast at your level to begin with!

CSFurious
09-18-2007, 10:58 AM
at your level, it would make your charm person or hypnotism, the same level as your highest level that you can cast which is probably 3 at level 6

that makes those first-level spells more powerful and harder for the enemy to save against

Jakylpops
09-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Heigthen makes a spell cost as much, and have the same DC bonus as the highest level spell your caster is capable of casting.

If you're 12th level and casting a heightened Hypnotize it will gain an extra +5 to the DC because it will cast as a 6th level spell...without the longer cooldown timer.

Renegade66
09-18-2007, 01:02 PM
Use a Dreamspitter for your charms. It gives you +2 Enchantment Focus. The Napkin is nice too because it gives you a +1 Focus to all your spells. It keeps you from having to swap out items and weapons. The napkin does not stack with the Dreamspitter of course, but both stack with the Spell Focus Feats.

MrWizard
09-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Do empower or spell pen help charm?

Thanks!

empower no..
spell pen most definitely

enchantment focus will help too.
heighten YES