PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Rogue Drow

Zynge
09-14-2007, 12:38 PM
It was suggested that I start a new post with this build as the old one is quite long.

Here is the old thread started by Aelasyl http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=12250

Here is the build:

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 2.70
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Ranger Rogue Drow
Level 14 True Neutral Drow Male
(3 Rogue \ 11 Ranger)
Hit Points: 112
Spell Points: 160
BAB: 13\13\18\23
Fortitude: 7
Reflex: 17
Will: 5

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Stats Modified Stats
Abilities (Level 1) (Level 14)
Strength 15 17
Dexterity 18 24
Constitution 8 8
Intelligence 14 14
Wisdom 12 12
Charisma 10 10

Feat/Enhancement
Modified Skills
Skills (Level 14)
Balance 11
Bluff 0
Concentration -1
Diplomacy 0
Disable Device 20
Haggle 4
Heal 1
Hide 24
Intimidate 0
Jump 7
Listen 3
Move Silently 24
Open Lock 20
Perform n/a
Repair 2
Search 25
Spot 23
Swim 3
Tumble n/a
Use Magic Device 17

Level 1 (Rogue)
Skill: Balance (+4)
Skill: Disable Device (+4)
Skill: Haggle (+4)
Skill: Hide (+4)
Skill: Jump (+4)
Skill: Move Silently (+4)
Skill: Open Lock (+4)
Skill: Search (+4)
Skill: Spot (+4)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+4)
Feat: (Selected) Dodge
Feat: (Automatic) Attack
Feat: (Automatic) Drow Spell Resistance
Feat: (Automatic) Elven Keen Senses
Feat: (Automatic) Enchantment Save Bonus
Feat: (Automatic) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Shuriken
Feat: (Automatic) Heroic Durability
Feat: (Automatic) Immunity to Sleep
Feat: (Automatic) Light Armor Proficiency
Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Rapier
Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Shortsword
Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Shortbow
Feat: (Automatic) Simple Weapon Proficiency (ALL)
Feat: (Automatic) Sneak
Feat: (Automatic) Sneak Attack
Feat: (Automatic) Spell Save Bonus (Drow)
Feat: (Automatic) Trapfinding
Feat: (Automatic) Trip
Enhancement: Elven Perception I
Enhancement: Elven Keen Eyes I
Enhancement: Rogue Disable Device I
Enhancement: Rogue Open Lock I

Level 2 (Ranger)
Skill: Disable Device (+1)
Skill: Hide (+1)
Skill: Move Silently (+1)
Skill: Search (+1)
Skill: Spot (+1)
Skill: Use Magic Device (+1)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Undead
Feat: (Automatic) Bow Strength
Feat: (Automatic) Defensive Fighting
Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency (ALL)
Feat: (Automatic) Shield Proficiency (General)
Feat: (Automatic) Sunder
Feat: (Automatic) Wild Empathy
Enhancement: Ranger Skill Boost I
Enhancement: Improved Drow Spell Resistence I
Enhancement: Ranger Search I
Enhancement: Ranger Spot I

Level 3 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Mobility
Feat: (Automatic) Rapid Shot
Feat: (Automatic) Two Weapon Fighting
Enhancement: Elven Dexterity I
Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity I

Level 4 (Ranger)
Ability Raise: STR
Enhancement: Elven Perception II
Enhancement: Elven Keen Eyes II

Level 5 (Rogue)
Feat: (Automatic) Evasion (Rogue)

Level 6 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Point Blank Shot
Spell (1): Camouflage
Spell (1): Jump
Spell (1): Longstrider
Spell (1): Resist Energy
Spell (1): Summon Nature's Ally I
Spell (1): Tumble
Enhancement: Ranger Skill Boost II
Enhancement: Improved Drow Spell Resistence II
Enhancement: Ranger Search II
Enhancement: Ranger Energy of the Wild I

Level 7 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Giant

Level 8 (Ranger)
Ability Raise: DEX
Feat: (Automatic) Improved Two Weapon Fighting
Feat: (Automatic) Manyshot
Enhancement: Elven Dexterity II
Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity II

Level 9 (Ranger)
Feat: (Selected) Shot on the Run
Feat: (Automatic) Improved Wild Empathy
Enhancement: Ranger Skill Boost III

Level 10 (Rogue)
Feat: (Automatic) Trap Sense
Enhancement: Improved Drow Spell Resistence III

Level 11 (Ranger)
Spell (2): Barkskin
Spell (2): Bear's Endurance
Spell (2): Camouflage, Mass
Spell (2): Cat's Grace
Spell (2): Cure Light Wounds
Spell (2): Hold Animal
Spell (2): Owl's Wisdom
Spell (2): Protection From Energy
Spell (2): Snare
Spell (2): Spike Growth
Spell (2): Summon Nature's Ally II
Enhancement: Ranger Sprint Boost I
Enhancement: Ranger Sprint Boost II
Enhancement: Ranger Energy of the Wild II

Level 12 (Ranger)
Ability Raise: STR
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Ranged Weapons
Feat: (Automatic) Evasion (Ranger)

Level 13 (Ranger)
Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Dragon
Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity III

Level 14 (Ranger)
Feat: (Automatic) Greater Two Weapon Fighting
Feat: (Automatic) Improved Precise Shot
Feat: (Automatic) Precise Shot
Spell (3): Cure Moderate Wounds
Spell (3): Neutralize Poison
Spell (3): Remove Disease
Spell (3): Summon Nature's Ally III
Spell (3): Wild Instincts
Enhancement: Ranger Skill Boost IV
Enhancement: Improved Drow Spell Resistence IV

I made a slight modification since the last time I posted this.. UMD is just too important and now that Jump doesn't help with falling damage anymore (Tumble does) I took it for UMD.

Also, I have changed the Favored Eneimies to Undead, Dragon and Giant and slightly modified the Enhancements to get Imp Drow Spell Resist IV at the beginning of level 14 instead of waiting until you have 4 Action Points.

Elindros (aka Zynge)

Roguewiz
09-14-2007, 12:47 PM
Is this a character that you are designing, or already playing? If it is being designed, I highly recommend dropping Dex to 16 Starting, and Wisdom to 10 starting. Pump whatever points you have left over into Con. 8 Con is dangerously low.

Run Threnal with that and you would die with 1 (maybe 2), Con debuffs.

Other than that, the rest of the stats look good and the skill selection is on par. I personally wouldn't have gone the SoTR progression, seeing how it is only a -4 penalty without it (not bad), but as a Ranged toon, I can see how it would be useful.

Zynge
09-14-2007, 01:04 PM
This is a character I have been playing for quite sometime... I just haven't had the time to get him all the way to 14, with all the other 14's I have and running The Fellowship guild on Ghallanda.

But, yes, he works just fine... I love playing him. I solo Threnal on Elite with this toon.. Con debuffs generally don't work on him with SR 18%, soon to be 20%.. it has happened, but, I stay at range and they normally can't hit me with spells that far away.

Also, I have a Con +6 necklace, so that helps too. If they do get up close to me, I have a pretty good AC with a +5 Padded Armor of Stability and my Dex has been bumped up with a +5 Dex gloves and a +1 Dex Tome, giving me a 30 Dex, making full use of the +8 Max Dex Bonus on the Padded armor, plus a little extra.

Impaqt
09-14-2007, 01:58 PM
WHy are you Raising STR as a Ranged Character? those 2 Points are MUCH beter served into Dex where you Gain +1 TO Reflex Save and +1 to attack with a Bow.

Try this..

STR-14
Dex-17
con-12
int-14
Wis-12
CHR-10

THis Balanced the character MUCH more. You can still get to a 20 STR Fairly Easily for +5 to Damage on your SHots.... Sacrificing So much CON (28 Hit Points :eek: ) for a extra Point of damage isnt condusive to long life.
EDIT: Ok, I guess you play this guy already.... I'm sure you have fun.. But this isnt a Build I would recomend to anyone. I'd certainly like to see a Screenshot of you soloing THerenal on Elite though

Zynge
09-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Well, my Reflex Saves are already very high, I hit everytime I shoot at something, unless I roll a 1, and it's better to put it into Strength where my ranger Bow Strength adds the extra damage for Strength into my ranged damage.

I was very fortunate to get the Dragon's Belt of the Mroranan (+6 Str). Before the belt I did okay on damage.. I added a +1 Strength Tome... Now, the damage is very high. Combined with a Silver Bow... this guy is a walking cannon.

I start shooting a mob and I don't care who the mob is facing, he always turns towards me... and never gets to me. With Shot on the Run, I just back peddle a litle bit and it's over... I usally have to tell the tanks, "If you see a mob after me, just forget about it, it will be dead by the time you catch it."

EDIT: Next time I do, I will take a screenie... Honestly, I just haven't had time... working, running a large guild, several other toons that I created to help support the guild.. Even though he is my favorite, I just haven't had time. I normally run our guilds high level dragon raid with this guy... doing all the traps, pulling all the pillar mobs in one pull, using a +4 Icy Burst Longbow with multi shot on the dragon... basically, it's a piece of cake with this guy.. and he is one level lower than all the other toons. I am interested to see how the mob change for the pillar mobs are going to effect his performance in the next Mod 5.

The only reason I am posting here today, was someone responded to my old posts under Aelasyl's Ranger Guide and I got an email... I had really just forgot about it. But, I have been seeing a lot of interest in it lately.

~Jules921
09-15-2007, 06:54 AM
I've never been really happy with playing a ranger - I'm going to have to give your build a try. Question though - is multi-shot do-able with this build? Is it worth taking the feats for it? Also at point will you not be able to find/disable traps - there are some that need like incredibly high numbers to clear them.

Thanks
Jules

Zynge
09-15-2007, 10:05 AM
Well, Multi-shot is an automatic feat, it comes with being a ranger. It comes to you at ranger level 6.

You may be referring to Shot on the Run. Which yes, it is a great line for the ranger class. It really sucks to be running and shooting and missing every other shot.. SotR alleviates that.

So far I have only run into one trap that I have not been able to find... The one trap in A Cabal for One on the chest room. Which as I hear it, the devs have decided to tone down a bit, because it was too hard for a lot of folks.

Ok, please don't assume you can do these traps in the high level quests with no buffs... I mean my rogue skills are pretty good... but, no one can get these tougher traps without help. Bard song, Inspire Competence is nice, Greater Heroism, even a Prayer helps. Your skill boost will provide a +5 only, so, anything that helps like items for Search and Disable Device with at least a +10 are very nice... I use the Dream Visor for Spot +13. Open Lock can be a little lower, because you can try mulitple times until you get it. A pure Rogue will do even better at these... don't forget this wonderful class that specializes in traps... They always do better than me in finding and disarming traps. They get the extra bonuses.. check out the class discussions for Rogues. It's tough being a rogue, include them in your groups.

LeLoric
09-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Just a suggestion yes you lose the sr but you gain the longbow racial feats and enhancements that with a decent str and the favored dmg feats you will then be a walking cannon until then you are only 2nd best :P just a suggestion I do like the build

Jaysensen
09-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Not to start a fight, but Aelslyl's guide had a lot of bad information at the time it was written, even though it was written with the best of intentions. Being that its too old, and the best information was not in the original post (rather buried 5 pages in), I suggested that Zynge rewrite the guide.

Sadly, the outdated information is still in the OP, which confuses people.

PS: this is a very nice Ranger-Rogue build. Make sure you have heavy fort to help alleviate the low con.

Zynge
09-15-2007, 06:18 PM
LeLoric: Ok, as a Drow I don't get the Ranged Enhancements like an Elf can. They are there for Shurikens only, which frankly just don't do enough damage. Also, my racial feats aren't for Longbows.. again, Shurikens.

But, I make up for it by having a high Strength and Dexterity. Elf only gets an extra +1 for using a longbow, so, I'm not missing much. Also, as a Drow you get an extra +2 to Will Saves... which actually are kind of hard to come by. So, that evens things out a bit. And where I think it exceeds being an Elf is the Spell Resistance 20% at level 14.

Yes, I could replace a few Enhancements for the Ranger Favored Enemy enhancements, but, I need to cover being a rogue too, which I use some of those for to keep up.

So, thanks for the suggestion, but, I think I'll stay a Drow... I have a 14 Elf pure bow Ranger... I like him too, but, I like this build better.

Jaysensen: Nope, no fighting here.. At the time of the build, it was ok... Four Enhancements were too limitiing, but, that's what we had. All kinds of things have changed since then. But, I liked the build and made it and have been doing rather well with him.. I had to make a change here and there, but, all in all it was the same build. That's why I posted what I had learned on the original post by Aelslyl, just so people would not make the same mistakes I did.. lol, I probably re-rolled this guy a dozen times before getting it right.

But, I wanted to include the original post... because frankly, it wasn't my build in the first place, though I feel I have changed it enough to make it mine.

Hehe, yea, a Hvy Fort item would help. But, truthfully, I don't get into melee with this guy enough to worry about it. Archers can't hit me, melees can't catch me, casters spell bounce off (I love that blue flash everytime SR kicks in). Yea, I have been cornered a few times and got nailed, but, you just have to be aware of your surroundings to avoid that.

Thanks all for posting, I appreciate the comments.