PDA

View Full Version : Curious Problem

CJB6819
09-14-2007, 10:24 AM
I posted this on the guest forum a couple of days ago but haven't had any response. First of all, I apologize if I somehow missed a thread regarding this issue.

I recently installed the 10 day trial and played the game for a while on the first day having no problems as I enjoyed the initial quests of the game. As I played however, I began to notice that I was experiencing lag both in and out of instances which began to grow worse as time wore on.

Eventually, I logged out of the game and rebooted by computer before going off to do other things for a few hours before returning my attentions to the game where my real problems began.

Ever since, I have been unable to play the game as, as soon as I log into the game, my wireless connection drops down to 1.0 MBpS or failing completely without any explanation.

Of course, this makes the game unplayable and, for some reason, as soon as I exit, my connection returns to normal.

I have disabled my Windows XP firewall and ran a tracert which seems to be perfectly fine but the problem persists.

I have a 3.0 GHz system with 1.5 gig of ram and my video card is a GeForce 6800XT with 256 MB of memory.

Please tell me if more info is needed and I will do my best to provide it.

Thanks in advance.

blakbyrd
09-14-2007, 10:27 AM
First suggestion, get off wireless.

Second, by chance are you on Comcast cable internet?

To be a little more specific, the wireless part may be part of the problem. Other things may be affecting your connection for this and could simply be a timing coincindence. Alot of things can be interfering with a wireless connection.

How are you proving that your ate while in DDO is slower than your rate not playing DDO? This can make a difference.

In regards to internet connection, what type are you using? Cable, DSL, ISDN, etc?

What type of wireless router or access point are you using and how many other computers are on the network? Are other computers accessing or using the network while you are online? These can greatly determine the abilities of your router and affect how well it operates, depending on the type and model you are using. Not all wireless routers are equal..in fact many very important specs on such routers are not plainly stated, and low end models can have rather subpar performance in a network with a couple computers accessing the internet at the same time. Their total bandwidth capacities and switching capacities vary greatly from unit to unit. All of which can directly affect any consistent throughput to one machine.

CJB6819
09-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Unfortunately, I cannot direct connect to the router in the house at the moment. I know that is part of the problem but other MMORPGs that I play still work at least. This one seems to kill the rest of my connection speeds as soon as I log in.

My ISP is Comcast.

blakbyrd
09-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Since you use Comcast, keep in mind the recent developements with how Comcast is operating (alot of recent news on it).

How much do you use your internet connection? Do you do alot of downloading (ie songs, movies, videos, etc)?.

Comcast is now shutting off users who use alot of bandwidth and are advocating the idea that they want to be able to limit connection speeds to specific sites and usage types as well, which could of course mean limiting connection speeds to higher bandwidth causing or more constant bandwidth usage site such as MMOs. I dont know if they have started doing this yet, but they are cutting people off for using too much bandwidth. I doubt this is the case, but they are doing this more in some areas than others and apparently testing other ideas out in certain limited areas.

Looks like they are wanting to make the idea of "unlimited internet" not really mean unlimited, but rather "limited to what we want". However, they will not speak about what the limits are they are setting for people.

Most likely this may not have anything to do with it, but it is something Comcast wants to do, and in some cases they are doing. I think right now the New York area appears to be seeing the most of this.

Another possible issue could be your network card drivers. DDO might be accessing the usage of network in a manner designed for the most recent drivers and you might be using an older driver that is less efficient for DDO. Turbine constantly tweaks their clients and servers for better service and in some cases the ability to do so relies on more recent abilities in software and drivers that they can take advantage of, which can cause older drivers to function less efficiently than they used to.

Akhad_Durn
09-20-2007, 04:18 PM
Try unplugging the router, wait a couple minutes (to let it discharge), and plug it back in.

Routers are complex little computers, and in most cases are running a extremely light weight operating system. These OSes can get into a bad state, or run out of resources to the point that the only solution is a reboot.

There could be other issues, such as someone else has moved in and is also using Wi-Fi and happens to be using the same channel as you. Rebooting the router is relatively quick and easy to do, so I'd start there.