PDA

View Full Version : Rogue build help

Velamos79
09-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Well I am back with more questions. I made my rogue but I didn't have much forthought into it. So i figured I would ask you all for help. I still have 8 days left of trial and have every intention of buying the game in a week. So I would like to reroll my rogue with a definte image in mind. I seen alot of post in the rogue forums from alot of smart people who seem to have a knack for it so heres what I am looking for.

I want a DPS rogue, who uses throwing weapons, duel wields, can sense, disarm traps secret doors ect, as well as possible without going over board. obviously I can not make a drow yet so would perfer a Hafling or Elf. I would like to go pure rogue although I wouldn't be opposed to multiclassing a lvl or 3. I would like to be able to use , swords, piercers, those khaurkai ( o whatever ) maces, will basicaly anything that is one handed, I would like to be able to wear chain armor, and have as many special attacks as possible.

I might be asking for too much, I don't know but if anyoen has some free time, or has seen a similar build on the Rogue forum and can point me in the direction of a link that would be awesome.

if not thanks for your time anyways.

Borror0
09-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Nothing too elaborated, but:

TWF Hafling 13 Rogue/1 Fighter

Stats:

Str 14
Dex 16
Con 14
Int 14
Wis 8
Cha 8

1. Two Weapon Fighting
2. Weapon Finesse
3. Nimble Fingers
6. Weapon Focus: Piercing
9. Imp. Two Weapon Fighting
12. Improved Critical: Piercing

Skills:

UMD
Jump
Disable Device
Open Lock
Spot
Search
Balance
Haggle

You won't be gimped like this, but it's not perfect and could be improved.. after all it took me like 10 minutes to write this.

Velamos79
09-13-2007, 11:43 PM
Thank you for the quick reply that is basicaly ecxactly what I was looking for. A base start that I can customize , but have a plan ahead.
Thank you again.

Borror0
09-14-2007, 02:20 AM
Yeah, just customize it, and if you feel like it, just show it here. ;) We'll comment. :)

gorloch
09-15-2007, 10:33 AM
I would've started with a lower str and higher wis. Wis is used to spot the traps. Of course most rogues learn where all the trap boxes are so it's not so much trouble spotting them.

PIXA

Borror0
09-15-2007, 01:29 PM
I would've started with a lower str and higher wis. Wis is used to spot the traps. Of course most rogues learn where all the trap boxes are so it's not so much trouble spotting them.

PIXA

From my point of view:

Relflex + Evasion + Improved Evasion = Trap spotted

Spot is there to help, but it's not the end of the world.;)

Velamos79
09-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Ok so I got my roguing down and am about to multiclass for better weapon / twf skills.
For DPS and versatilty am I better off going 2 fighter or 2 ranger? Also of these 2 do either of them have anything that would give me 1. Better AC? Or 2. Make me able to wear heavier armor without as big of a penalty.

Mad_Bombardier
09-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Ok so I got my roguing down and am about to multiclass for better weapon / twf skills.
For DPS and versatilty am I better off going 2 fighter or 2 ranger? Also of these 2 do either of them have anything that would give me 1. Better AC? Or 2. Make me able to wear heavier armor without as big of a penalty.2Ranger will give you free TWF feat (you still have to take ImpTWF and GrTWF later in life) and enable you to use any wand on the Ranger spell list.

2Fighter will give you 2 fighter bonus feats, a few more HP, and some nice level 1 enhancements. You will be able to wear medium and heavy armor with no penalty to hit, but cannot use your Evasion ability in anything other than Light Armor.

tihocan
09-19-2007, 12:16 PM
One note: forget about throwing weapons. Even with quick draw (a must if you want to focus on them) they won't be doing much damage, and good throwing weapons are also very hard to find.

Mercules
09-19-2007, 12:54 PM
From my point of view:

Relflex + Evasion + Improved Evasion = Trap spotted

Spot is there to help, but it's not the end of the world.;)

Reflex + Evasion + Improved Evasion on a roll of a 1 = Rogue sometimes dead.

Spot is HIGHLY useful. Even running with people who have run a quest a dozen times I get advise such as, "There is a trap around here. Somewhere... I think... the trap box is on this wall... or was it past the trap?" and in new content WHERE the box is can take forever to discover.

Spot shows you the trap is there. You then Search it out and see if a box pops. If not you back up and try the spot again now that the trap is revealed. Now you know about where to attempt a Search. If your Search is a smidge higher than Spot then you should be able to Search out trap boxes you can Spot from the exact location you spotted them from.

A lot of groups want to get past the trap. Some of them will not wait till you have done the Search animation in every square foot of the room trying to find the box, they will just run through it and pray. Spot goes a LONG way to finding them quickly.

...AND now Spot helps you see and target hidden mobs in Mod 5. A lot of people are wishing they had put more into spot. If anything Open Lock is less needed than Spot.

PurdueDave
09-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Here's some build posts from a quick scan of the rogue forum.

Make sure and read all the discussion...

2-weapon fighting, no weapon finesse, melee rogue...
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=120724
"sword & board", no weapon finesse, melee rogue...
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=120420
2-weapon fighting, weapon finesse/high DEX, melee rogue...
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=115937

Mercules
09-19-2007, 01:00 PM
One note: forget about throwing weapons. Even with quick draw (a must if you want to focus on them) they won't be doing much damage, and good throwing weapons are also very hard to find.

I think you mean forget about throwing weapons as a main weapon. They still have their uses from time to time and "good" ones are not hard to find. I've seen numerous alignment/elemental weapons on the AH for not too expensive prices. Ordinary +1-+5 returners drop fairly regularly.

As I said, I wouldn't focus on throwing, but having it as a backup weapon is handy. So says the person who likes to range archers on ledges to gain their agro and then hide behind terrain so that the melee crew can fight the mobs on the ground without a constant stream of arrows on their heads. Those healing in the group appreciate this.

Borror0
09-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Reflex + Evasion + Improved Evasion on a roll of a 1 = Rogue sometimes dead.

Traps do over 400s? Let me doubt that.

Regarding spot, I said him to max spot but that Wisdom was not worth raising because all it boosted was spot. I mean, if he misses the DC, it won't be the end.

tihocan
09-20-2007, 12:34 PM
I think you mean forget about throwing weapons as a main weapon. They still have their uses from time to time and "good" ones are not hard to find. I've seen numerous alignment/elemental weapons on the AH for not too expensive prices. Ordinary +1-+5 returners drop fairly regularly.
Yes, I meant they are useless as a primary weapon, so it's not a good idea to invest too much to improve them.
And by "good" ones I meant mainly stuff like greater banes and the so-called "ubers" (disruption / para / etc.). In my experience such properties are much harder to find on thrown weapons than melees or xbows/bows.

Mercules
09-20-2007, 01:36 PM

Regarding spot, I said him to max spot but that Wisdom was not worth raising because all it boosted was spot. I mean, if he misses the DC, it won't be the end.

400 HPs is a weird

Rogue... D6 HPs. 14x6 104 base hps. Likely Con 10 to start with a +4 Con belt 132 HPs. Traps can kill Rogues. Also, that is end game we are talking about a person leveling a Rogue. 5th level Rogue has 50-70 HPs and can encounter a trap that can kill him in one shot.

Spot isn't a Roll. One point can mean the difference between stumbling into a trap. Also, I believe, the higher your spot, the further the distance you can notice the trap.

Mercules
09-20-2007, 01:43 PM
Yes, I meant they are useless as a primary weapon, so it's not a good idea to invest too much to improve them.
And by "good" ones I meant mainly stuff like greater banes and the so-called "ubers" (disruption / para / etc.). In my experience such properties are much harder to find on thrown weapons than melees or xbows/bows.

Those are not "good" those are, as you said, "uber". Good is something of something that makes sense. True Chaos of Pure Good on a blunt thrower that you mainly mean for a ranged Skellywhacker is "good". Disrupter on a throwing weapon is "uber" greater undead bane is "uber". :)

The issue is that Returning is a magical preface upping the Minimum Level of an item so yes, you will find more melee weapons of high end magical quality because they don't have to be ML 12-14 to have Paralyzing on them.

FunnyCide
09-20-2007, 04:42 PM

Wisdom also helps with will save, which is a Rogue's worst bane since their will saves are the junk. So hoenestly a 10 wisdom is worth it. I put a 12 on my rogue and haven't ever regretted the decision.

Borror0
09-20-2007, 08:57 PM
400 HPs is a weird

Improved Evasion is half damage on a failed save, so 200 HP rogue isn't that rare. ;)

Ekental
10-11-2007, 04:31 PM
High str is fairly pointless on a rogue. Your sneak attack dmg makes up the majority of your dps, and those points could be better spent in something else... like dex.

Ranged weapons... well, in DDO they kind of suck. Ranger's can get by because they can hit manyshot every 2 minutes and have improved precise shot.

In general, ranged weapons get off 50?55? shots per minute at lvl 14. Pure TWF gets 154 and even a generic sword and board gets you 96. Considering that you need to be fairly close to sneak attack anyways, you might as well melee.

I'd recommend going for the 2wf dex rogue mentioned earlier to start out. You can tweek dex or some such if you want to max it and choose a different race (elf/halfing).
Also consider picking up improved feint and keeping on combat expertise if you're worried about AC. As a rogue you should be able to get it to 1 less than a fighter. (sadly)