PDA

View Full Version : Possible need for Vista/DDO Help

Cupcake
09-12-2007, 01:24 PM
hiya all. Assistance would be appreciated.

In the event I have to buy a new computer, i am going to get stuck with Vista. Unless I pay the money to have them load XP.

So, going on the assumption that I get stuck with Vista... and knowing there are problems between Vista and DDO...

Any chance someone can make a list of things I need to do to make DDO work with Vista?

Thanks in advance.

Hands you all yer 11:23 a.m. cupcakes. :D

Davrim
09-12-2007, 01:32 PM

In the event I have to buy a new computer, i am going to get stuck with Vista. Unless I pay the money to have them load XP.

So, going on the assumption that I get stuck with Vista... and knowing there are problems between Vista and DDO...

Any chance someone can make a list of things I need to do to make DDO work with Vista?

Thanks in advance.

Install it. My wife plays on a Vista machine. There was no trick to it.;)

Cupcake
09-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Install it. My wife plays on a Vista machine. There was no trick to it.;)

I've read posts in in game service and technical assistance about people having issues with DDO and Vista. I just wanted a heads up cause if I end up getting a new computer and having to install DDO on it, I damn well sure better be able to play LOL

Davrim
09-12-2007, 01:41 PM
I've read posts in in game service and technical assistance about people having issues with DDO and Vista. I just wanted a heads up cause if I end up getting a new computer and having to install DDO on it, I damn well sure better be able to play LOL

I have seen thoes posts also, and was worried when we had to get my wife's computer. We have had no issues. We setup the computer, installed DDO and it has been working ever since. The one thing to look out for is you do need a decent graphix card, or else you will have to turn off the Aerl features, but a 256 card should do fine.

Edit: Just do not go with on-board video.... It will not work well.

Impaqt
09-12-2007, 02:01 PM
There is no significant change in the way Vista handles 32 Bit DirectX9c Games. Its essentaially the same as XP.

The problems stem from Vistas tyranical Security..... Especially when folks start loading in 3rd party Security stuff (even things like Norton or Mcaffe) it Freaks out Vista and it starts shutting down Ports and accesability.

Duplicate_10
09-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Destroy Vista!

ehondajim
09-12-2007, 02:22 PM
The only issue I have found running DDO on Vista is the need for me to "run as administrator" Vistas wacky security in action. If you do get Vista and have trouble this would be the first thing I tried. From your menu or desktop right click the start icon and then click run as administrator. A dialog box will pop up asking if you wish to continue, click yes. After i did that I had no issues.

StanC
09-12-2007, 02:26 PM

Thanks in advance.

Depends upon where you buy it Cupcake. Several companies are still offering machines with XP loaded.

Rekker
09-12-2007, 03:18 PM
If you have your original XP install CDs, just dual-boot and when you DDO load up XP.

blakbyrd
09-12-2007, 03:31 PM

Thanks in advance.

As I know the industry you are in (or were in, in real life), I would also ask if this new computer is going to be used for anything else other than gaming?. Will you be installing software from work on this new computer?

I just went through a rathre nasty transition for a friend of mine in the same job industry from XP to Vista, and it can be problematic for other software (practically everything he used in XP had to be repurchased in the latest edition to work with Vista...costing a couple thousand dollars extra over simply getting a new computer....and he's in the same job as your boss as I understand it).

Personally, I wont touch vista right now, so I cannot speak for Vista and DDO, but I know alot of probs with other productivity software and Vista. SO if the new comp is gaming only, then no big deal...if it is to mix software from work and gaming...you might want to consider XP again, unless you already use Vista at work.

kanbeki
09-21-2007, 06:11 PM
If you do run into problems you can always disable UAC, Winkey+r to bring up run box and type in 'msconfig' it is on the last tab, all you have to do is select disable uac and click launch. Be warned though, it will make your system unsecure, xp style :)

Jendrak
09-23-2007, 11:09 AM
Had the same worries about vista and ddo when i was forced to change Os. the only 2 things i did were (1)when the "security" window asks about blocking ports on ddo choose to unblock it and (2) set it to run in Win Xp Sp2 mode.