PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Feats

Renegade66
09-11-2007, 04:28 PM
At level 14, I just respec'd my Cleric feats and I'm very happy with the results.

Call me crazy, but I dropped "Extend". It's nice for Blade Barriers and Recitation, but Greater Command, Symbols and buffs in general are plenty good without extend at lvl 14. I also went without "Maximize". Again, really nice for Blade Barriers, but doesn't work on Harm.

The spells I find myself getting the most use out of are:
Greater Command: Enchantment
Destruction: Necromancy
Symbol of Fear: Necromancy
Slay Living: Necromancy

Therefore, I took the following feats:
Mental Toughness
Improved Mental Toughness
Empowered Healing
Extra Turns (DVs)
Spell Focus: Necromancy
Greater Spell Focus: Necromancy

Man, I love it!

Ren

Mad_Bombardier
09-11-2007, 04:31 PM
It depends on the crowd you run with. But, if you have no 400+ HP tanks, you can get by without EmpowerHealing at high level. 140*1.9= 266HP Heals, which usually covers them. In that case, you could re-add Maximize (or Extend). :)

Impaqt
09-11-2007, 04:43 PM
I couldnt live without Extend...... Not for Buffs Mind you..... But Blade Barriers just dont last long enough without Extend.....

ALso DOubles the Incap time on many Crown Control Spells.. (Like Greater Command) Gives your Tanks time tomove from mob to mob without worrying about them getting back up.

266 Point heals are plenty for most folks.. Heck, I crit for 693 (Only using Greater Potency) almost 20% of the time without Empower Healing :)

NightbirdX
09-12-2007, 10:12 AM
My feats are very similar, except i have extend rather than empower healing. I just wasn't fond of it for the said reasons. Maybe later, but for now I like having things that make my offensive capability go up since I really can't swing a weapon.

WestiesMA
09-12-2007, 11:54 AM
I take it this is an offensive cleric build? If so, then very interesting - I have an offense build (not fleric but offensive spell build) so I may look at this.

My healbot has:

Mental Toughness
Empower Healing
Extend Spell
Combat Casting
Extra Turning (for DV's)

Impaqt
09-12-2007, 12:48 PM
I take it this is an offensive cleric build? If so, then very interesting - I have an offense build (not fleric but offensive spell build) so I may look at this.

My healbot has:

Mental Toughness
Empower Healing
Extend Spell
Combat Casting
Extra Turning (for DV's)

Why would you Put COmbat Casting on a Healing Build? Its only marginaly helpful on a Combat build.... You shoul dhave no trouble getting your concentration into the mid 30's and a Healbot shouldnt be getting hit all that often. You'd be Much better served by any number of other feats....

Blazer
09-12-2007, 12:59 PM
I've got MT/IMT/Extend/Extra Turning/Heighten/Spell Pen on my caster/healer. She started as a strict healer, then evolved more into CC and offensive casting.

Her 32pt replacement is going with MT/Extend/Heighten/SF: Necro/GSF: Necro and the 6th feat will either be IMT or Maximize, I haven't decided yet. If I can land a Spell Storing Ring, it will definitely be Maximize.

RemoJr
09-12-2007, 02:52 PM
extend, empowerd healing, mental toughness, extra turns, improved mental toughness.

These help my heal/buff/fight cleric (He best at thoose, in that order). I only wish i had room for maximize, guess I have to wait till level 15.

Impaqt
09-12-2007, 02:56 PM
extend, empowerd healing, mental toughness, extra turns, improved mental toughness.

These help my heal/buff/fight cleric (He best at thoose, in that order). I only wish i had room for maximize, guess I have to wait till level 15.

With Mod5 there realy is no reason not to switch Empower Healing to Empower Spell or even Maximize... FOr an Extra 5 Spell Points, your meta can effect ALL your spels the same as Empower Healing or for an extra 15 you can double your effectiveness.....

Maatogaeoth
09-18-2007, 12:59 PM
With Mod5 there realy is no reason not to switch Empower Healing to Empower Spell or even Maximize... FOr an Extra 5 Spell Points, your meta can effect ALL your spels the same as Empower Healing or for an extra 15 you can double your effectiveness.....

Do clerics get enhancements to lower the cost of Empower Spell like they do for Empower Healing? I don’t have the basic Empower, and hadn’t even thought about getting it, so I have no idea.

I’m just making a bad guess, but I assume that the Improved Empower Healing is going to reduce the cost by 1 sp per rank, making Empower Healing spells cost 6 or 7 points more, rather than 15 more from Empower spell. It’s not a lot, but I’ve found myself in quite a few spots where those extra spell points mattered.

Mad_Bombardier
09-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Do clerics get enhancements to lower the cost of Empower Spell like they do for Empower Healing? I don’t have the basic Empower, and hadn’t even thought about getting it, so I have no ideaNo we don't. :mad: But we should! So, yes. EmpowerHealing with ImpEmpHealIII will be a bigger savings on Healing spells. But, you still get no benefit on non-healing spells.

smyter
09-18-2007, 03:24 PM
Would Spell Penetration not suit you better in your feats with this type of build?

Blazer
09-18-2007, 03:30 PM
Would Spell Penetration not suit you better in your feats with this type of build?

Perhaps, but you can take improve your Spell Pen via enhancements.

Maatogaeoth
09-18-2007, 03:58 PM
But, you still get no benefit on non-healing spells.

Is the opportunity to get increased damage on Flame Strike and Comet Fall worth the extra spell point cost for heals? I need to go back to my spell list, but I can’t think of any other direct damage spells that Empower would benefit.

I tend to only use Greater Command and Destruction (dropped Slay Living because of the annoying “touch” requirements). With these, Empower Spell does very little in my opinion. At least, not nearly enough to pay more for an empowered healing spell.

Mad_Bombardier
09-18-2007, 04:05 PM
Is the opportunity to get increased damage on Flame Strike and Comet Fall worth the extra spell point cost for heals? I need to go back to my spell list, but I can’t think of any other direct damage spells that Empower would benefit.

I tend to only use Greater Command and Destruction (dropped Slay Living because of the annoying “touch” requirements). With these, Empower Spell does very little in my opinion. At least, not nearly enough to pay more for an empowered healing spell.My only metamagic currently in use is Maximize, which I use exclusively on Blade Barrier. Paired with SuperiorPotencyVI, it does 190-220 damage per hit. Tasty! :D

I suppose my point is that if you do not use offensive damage spells, you can suffice with EmpowerHealing. Impaqt's point is that in the new metamagic cost system, it's better to take Empower and use it for both healing and damage spells. You do not lose many SP and gain damage on all spells.

binnsr
09-18-2007, 04:15 PM
My only metamagic currently in use is Maximize, which I use exclusively on Blade Barrier. Paired with SuperiorPotencyVI, it does 190-220 damage per hit. Tasty! :D

I suppose my point is that if you do not use offensive damage spells, you can suffice with EmpowerHealing. Impaqt's point is that in the new metamagic cost system, it's better to take Empower and use it for both healing and damage spells. You do not lose many SP and gain damage on all spells.
I added Empower to that, and with a greater Potency VI dagger, I haven't needed an extended blade barrier yet. They're hitting in the 230-260 range. When I want to drop them fast, I drop a max-emp symbol of flame, followed by a max-emp blade barrier and watch the red numbers.

Also, max-emp diefic vengeance and searing light tear up undead. I've had (non-crit) diefic vengeance hit for over 200hp out in the desert (she just turned lvl13, so I haven't had a chance to play with the lvl7 spells yet)

I'm considering dropping Empowered Healing and just running with Empower on all the time. I'm not really sure what I'd take in its place, though -- possibly SF: Necromancy.

The current feat line up is:
Mental Toughness
Extend
Empower Healing
Maximize
Empower

Khurse
09-21-2007, 05:13 PM
So (to shown my complete lack of knowledge) the empower and maximize
feats affect all your damage spells and all you healing spells.
And Empower healing only affects your healing spells and any "life" magic spells?